STARCRAFT GENERAL

BATTLECRUISER OPERATIONAL Edition

Welcome to /scg/! Lore discussion, the boardgame and the Alternity RPG are all welcome here!

Today's topic: StarCraft RPG: Upgrade the Alternity ruleset, adapt Dark Heresy, use a tacticool system like D&D 4e, or something else?

Other urls found in this thread:

starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Alternity:_StarCraft_Edition
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22827/starcraft-board-game
youtube.com/watch?v=AuUqpZgHiEE
youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU
youtube.com/watch?v=OciDCn9Xqck
youtube.com/watch?v=OEUQ7Xkdz9g
youtube.com/watch?v=hxr8Ef1PLZU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Nova did nothing wrong.

I'd personally use a modification of the Starship Troopers RPG since it already has rules for psychics, and Aracnids can be altered to be zerg. It's d20 though, so I'd probably use an altered Only War instead.

Can someone pitch me on Dark Heresy and Only War and its differences? Adapt D&D5e and said Starship Troopers d20? Please no GURPS

A Starcraft RPG should be about heroes doing great things or murderhobos trying to survive a 3 race war?

Reaper reporting.

Use Savage Worlds. Its power armor system can do most of the power armour and mechs on the terran side quite easily, and the rules system is pretty smooth.

How do you balance playable ultralisks?

REEEEEE! ZERG AREN'T GOOD, STARCRAFT 2 NEVER HAPPENED!

I wouldn't. They're fucking ultralisks.

Selendis a cute!
A CUTE!

>Dark Heresy
What the fuck is it with people and Dark Heresy here? It's a shitty version of BRP which isn't all that hot in the first place. People like to meme about faggots trying to play everything with 3.PF, but it's fucking real and the game is called Dark Heresy. Just pick up from BRP if you have to go that way.

Going Savage Worlds or adapting GURPS into something pulpy are better choices, though, since it suits SC better.

Also you can fuck right off with anything past Broodwar and maybe Ghost

reported faggot OP and shit thread. go back to Veeky Forums

>What the fuck is it with people and Dark Heresy here?

Overabundance of 40kids here means that there will be a lot of people who invested the time and effort to learning how to run a clunky, rules-heavy mess like Dark Heresy well, and the sunk-cost fallacy means they'll want to justify that investiture of time and effort (even if it was ultimately just to learn a seriously mediocre system) by any means possible, which means cramming it everywhere they can.

Even in starcraft 2, the zerg aren't good, they're just necessary, because anime.

One of these days, I need to actually finish LoTV. I bought the game, but HoTS left me with such a bad taste in my mouth that I only got about halfway through the campaign and then stopped for some reason.

You don't? They're foes. Playable races would be Terran and Protoss and Infested Terran like in the Alternity ruleset.

Vanguard + Energizers = lamo any enemy armored ground units.

Because the rulesystem is easy to understand and easy to pick up while not being as ridiculous as Risus, and the 100 system means you can insert subtle nuances or give people really shitty stats to represent how out of their league they are.

also, 40k fans

Look OP, Starcraft 2 is literally my favourite computer game. Its steep learning curve as an RTS has shaped the pace and capacity of my intelligence, decisiveness, empathy and creativity. Its story has fostered within me an idealistic view of humanity and a hopeful feeling for the future. Starcraft and Starcraft 2 have defined me and my life for well over 15 years, and sometimes I dream of being the winner of the biannual Sarahack tournament while holding down a poorly paid but life-fullfilling job as a colonial Magistrate.

But this is Veeky Forums and Starcraft is a computer game, and not even an RPG at that. All you're doing with this thread is reminding people that Blizzard will never make a high-quality single-player RPG in the SC setting because narrative-driven games are just not lucrative anymore.

Please, cease and desist. If you want, make a thread about it on /v/, but Veeky Forums is not the place and unfortunately never will be.

>is easy to understand and easy to pick up

About as easy as 3.5.

>RPG
starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Alternity:_StarCraft_Edition

>boardgame
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22827/starcraft-board-game
Fuck off.

Any reccs for the Solar core stuff? I remember the Laser battery being really good, but not much else.

I like going with sentinels and the repair beam since most of your units will be mechanical so why not make them last longer or repair that gas and mineral investment?

I've never played Only War, but Dark Heresy 1st Ed would work pretty well.

Combat's fast, gritty, and very lethal, relying as much on smart player choices as on good rolls and builds. Speaking of builds, you buy talents and such with XP, leveling up when you've bought enough, so it's more flexible than, say, 3.PF.

>A Starcraft RPG should be about heroes doing great things or murderhobos trying to survive a 3 race war?
The best system would be one that could support either. I think the 40k RPGs could do that, though Dark Heresy specifically is more geared towards the latter.

Concur.

youtube.com/watch?v=AuUqpZgHiEE

>Its steep learning curve as an RTS has shaped the pace and capacity of my[...] empathy
The fact that I genuinely found nothing wrong with Mengsk's choices in vanilla SC1, then proceeded to root for the Overmind, led me to wonder if I might be a sociopath.

Don't worry, Mengsk did nothing wrong.

His voice is great

Indeed. He also has his way with words.
youtube.com/watch?v=X6bVj-nTkiU

he really does
youtube.com/watch?v=OciDCn9Xqck

>implying you wouldn't say the same were you in his place
Besides, it's a well-formulated sentence

So, why the hell didn't they bring up the Spear of Adun and the other two sister-ships when the Zerg invaded Aiur? That would kind of be the time you need the ultra-superweapon, no?

Because Blizzard is fucking terrible at retcons, which is a shame when they loves them so goddam much.

Terrans have the best atmosphere and theme. IMHO still some of the best cut scenes in any game today. Especially Brood War has GOAT as fuck soundtracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=OEUQ7Xkdz9g
youtube.com/watch?v=hxr8Ef1PLZU

To me, Terrans really carry the setting.

>To me, Terrans really carry the setting.
Agreed. I like the Protoss, but they're not THAT unique as ancient advanced aliens go, and the Zerg are an almost direct Tyranid rip.

Rednecks in space, though... That was new to me. I think one of the reasons I liked Firefly was that it reminded me of SC's Terrans.

This. I actually liked to think of Firefly as StarCraft: The Series, set in that sort of interwar period between the end of the Guild Wars, in which the Confederacy (Alliance) cemented its control over the Koprulu Sector, and the arrival of the Zerg.

What makes it even better, is that while they're rednecks in space, they still have plenty of room for pompous cunts casually small talking while colonial grunts are being overrun below them, or holding hypocritical speaches of unity while their enemies are being wiped out in the background in a grand dramatic scale.

They manage to keep a very particular and partivular style and feeling, while still maintaining a lot of variation in their presentation. It's still kept nicely in WoL in the contrast between the junkers on some trash mining planet alongside the fancy ship of Mengsk's son.

Gotta have that Southern gentleman/plantation owner feel, yeah. Plus the good ol' boys in between, like Duke.

And I agree: as much as I feel they fucked up Raynor and Kerrigan in SC2, most of the other Terran characters and the overall Terran vibe were pretty great.

I always wondered where Blizzard got the idea for a Confederacy/ Southern USA themed faction for the Terrans. It's an odd choice, but it really works and makes the Terrans memorable. They're much better than purely generic Americans in Space, by focusing on one region of America. Most characters are your average redneck, and then there's rebels like Raynor who're tired of their oppression by aristocrats, and then the aristocrats like Mengsk who pretend to be freedom fighters. UED works just as good, representing Global Big Brother, with elites of all nations conspiring for conquest and oppresion of the rogue elements of humanity.

Where the hell are the UED anyways? They're supposed to be to the Dominion what the Dominion is to Raynors Raiders.

The Brrod War epilogue mentions that all contact was lost between Du Galle's task force and Earth, so either they think he's gone rogue, realize he's dead, or assume no news is good news.

Either way, the Koprulu sector is FAR from Earth, so they might just see it as not being worth their time when they could just gradually expand in all directions and envelop it later, when they're Imperium-sized.

>I always wondered where Blizzard got the idea for a Confederacy/ Southern USA themed faction for the Terrans.

Metzen always wanted to do a Civil War in space, its an idea he had when he was a kid and that eventually became the basis for most of the concept art and Starcraft.

The clearly Firefly inspired violins in SC2 didn't hurt that either.

To Europeans, Koprulu sector Terrans are the arch typical American stereotypes, so it makes sense to make the UED be the old a bunch of snooty European stereotypes from the old world trying to reign in the uppity colonies to counter the hyper American stereotypes.

Guess who remembered all the censor bars this time?

What exactly are stim packs made of?

The stuff.

RIP dark starcraft

Remember that protos conclave was so colosaly stupid to send army to hunt some wayward exec while they were besieged by swarm on their home planet.
Also Artanis and Karax stated that ship is ancient, thought to use it as weapon may have seemded bizzar compared to all their SC1 equipment.

Also Protoss are way better ayys that one dimensional space elves.

>there will never be a Starcraft warga-

What's so great about Mengsk? He's a power hungry tyrant who killed millions of people to create his dominion.

It's partly the raw charisma his SC1 VA gives him. Another part is how well he plays everyone through the Terran campaign, knowing when to use the carrot and when to use the stick.

The other part (for me, at least) is how he went from being a rebellious teen with relatively humble dreams of a self-made mining fortune to a bitter revolutionary with mostly noble intentions to the power hungry tyrant. But that stuff is in the novel I, Mengsk, not the games.

That's an excellent novel. Come to think of it, most the early SC fiction is quite good by genre standards.

Mmhmm. My copies of I, Mengsk and Heaven's Devils are particularly worn and well-loved.

I read some of Golden's books. She is pretty bad

There's a heavily modified D20 system by a guy named Leovaunt floating around on the net. I ran a short campaign with the system recently it went pretty smooth.

>remembered the censor bars
Dayum shame.

The antenna things look weird and I'm glad they dropped them from her LotV design.

I liked the techs into playing just a big, fuckoff summon army. Send a lone brace probe to drop a pylon, then mash the keyboard on my gateways until I summoned everything I could, push foreward until dead, and repeat. Shit was easy

Have any of you guys tried the new user made coop missions in the rock the cabinet thing? Found any good ones? I find them to be really hit or miss, the majority are poorly designed.

Only War is alot like dark heresy, but with problems patched up and the levelling more freeform while still offering choices and restrictions.

I'll have to pick it up, then.

I'm reading I, Mengsk on pdf now, and it seems pretty clear from the get-go he's a psychopath.

Plus, the way it treats Duke is really at odds with how far Mengsk goes to pull the guys nuts out of a fire in the OC.

I prefer Rogue Trader for that, Only War is a little too "in the trenches."

What would starcraft games look like if they were actually to scale

He's an asshole, but never struck me as a psycho in the novel.

When he saves Duke he makes it pretty clear that he hates him, but needs his resources.

>He's an asshole, but never struck me as a psycho in the novel.
I dunno, his total lack of emotion that McNeill goes out of his way to point out both in his first combat and when he sleeps with Juliana seem pretty characteristic of sociopathy.

>When he saves Duke he makes it pretty clear that he hates him, but needs his resources.
What resources? If he goes over to the Sons of Korhal, he's got a smashed up battlecruiser and whatever crew is on board. That's not a lot of resources. You even get the line in Mission 6 that he's a general without an army.

Something akin to supreme commander?

>You even get the line in Mission 6 that he's a general without an army.

Mengsk says that because he's assuming he'll win the war regardless of Duke's actions, leaving Duke without an army while accepting Mengsk's offer makes sure Duke will remain a general with an army.

Duke's resources wasnt just the battlecruiser but his experience and intel on the confederate defences as well as removing the elite of the confederate forces, because when Duke desserted he brought the entire Alpha Squadron with him to Mengsk's side.

I agree that Mengsk is probably a sociopath, but he doesn't think there's anything wrong with him. If he weren't in a position to become a rebel leader he never would've become leader of the Sons of Korhal or the Emperor.

Meth, endorphins, adrenaline, aggression enhancing drugs.

>I dunno, his total lack of emotion that McNeill goes out of his way to point out both in his first combat and when he sleeps with Juliana seem pretty characteristic of sociopathy.
Huh... Guess I need to reread it.

>If he weren't in a position to become a rebel leader he never would've become leader of the Sons of Korhal or the Emperor.
This too. He would've just been a rando miner.

>Where the hell are the UED anyways?
They don't really care about the Koprulu sector.
It's a completely irrelevant backwater. They sent an expeditionary force to investigate the aliens they had witnessed from afar, and then that force didn't report back. That's all.
They'll return the Koprulu sector one day, but it is not like they yearn to conquer the place. It's not important to them.

>It's a completely irrelevant backwater. They sent an expeditionary force to investigate the aliens they had witnessed from afar, and then that force didn't report back. That's all.
But the Korprulu defeated an ancient evil alien from beyond the origins of the universe and then made a better ancient alien to go beyond the confines of the universe, or something. I'm starting to think Korprulu is actually above the UED's power level, for all their bluster, unless they've secretly got a million colonized worlds to draw resources from.

Not to mention that both the zerg and the protoss are completely beyond the UED.

>But the Korprulu defeated an ancient evil alien from beyond the origins of the universe and then made a better ancient alien to go beyond the confines of the universe, or something.
The UED doesn't know about this stuff, though.

I love how basically Lewis and Clark went off and nearly conquered multiple solar systems.

Not him, but they blitz past the Dominion pretty easily in the Brood war campaign. They're really only brought down by Kerrigan, but then again, I doubt the Koprulu guys would have done any better if left to their own devices.

>I'm starting to think Korprulu is actually above the UED's power level,

Not possible, the UED owned the Dominion with an expeditionary fleet. They literally came in, did some politicking with some factions, stole some ships, built a fleet and bum-rushed Korhal and effectively occupied the Dominion. While I do think that accomplishment has probably more to do with how frail Mengsk's Dominion was at the beginning it is a testament of how far beyond the UED is in comparison to the Dominion.

>zerg and the protoss are completely beyond the UED.

The Korpulu sector struggled to defeat one Overmind while the UED came alone with a small force and turned the zerg into their weapon in a small ammount of time.

It took Artanis' forces, Raynor's Raiders, and a good chunk of the Swarm lead by Primal Kerrigan and Stukov (two very powerful psionics) to pierce into the Void and kill Naruduran. All they did against Amon was break his defensive obelisks so Xel'naga Kerrigan could destroy him, they did not contribute to actually damaging Amon at all.
Xel'naga Kerrigan lives in the void now, and cannot be counted as part of the Koprulu sector's combat forces.

At the end, doesn't she show up at that decrepit bar to jump jim's bones?

She sent her avatar to tease him. Jimmy's blue balls are the source of her power.

Alarak a best Protoss

She can probably send emanations out of the Void like Ouros did, but that was more inviting Jimmy to the Void than leaving it.

I would hop on his purity of form so fast, goddamn.

Or incarnate herself like what Duran/narud did.

Agreed.
He made LotV worthwhile.

Scvs stomping on marines

Need a light ?

Weren't they Dreadnought/Knight sized?
Since being construction and mining vehicles was the the purpose of the knights to begin with.

>Prodos
Fucking dropped.

Seems like they're about Dreadnought sized.

quick question, do you think that the draenei are based on the protoss or is it just a coincidence that blizzard made two blue skinned alien races?

I'd say they look somewhat larger than an aliens power loader size. Probably because that's the inspiration for it

tal'darim must fuck like rabbits to keep being so numerous despite the way their society works

>evil faction
>not having casual sex all the time

>tal'darim
>evil

can i play as a Korean