crafty-games.com/fantasy-craft-print-bundle/

>Web NPC builder
meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/NPCBuilder.html

>Custom PC Species creation guides
sletchweb.wikidot.com/fc-origin-creation

>Species feat creation guide & reference spreadsheet
crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8257.msg160117#msg160117

>Class design guidelines
crafty-games-fans.wikia.com/wiki/Class_Creation_Guidelines_(Mastercraft)

>Leaked Spellbound Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7JqPtKRnUBYTkF0YlYxNllQN0hXY0V2c01xa1QzWGd6OF9J/view

I was asking about sundering in the last thread, because I noticed that if you have a very high DR *and* shield supremacy (where you can ignore AP = to your amount of combat feats), you're practically invulnerable. So sundering the guys shield would pretty much be necessary to hurt him.

Dwarf fitted platemail with heavy fittings = DR 8
Armor supremacy = DR 10
:fitted + feat = defense penalty/acp -2
One step ahead = DR 11
Fortunes of War 12/13/14(or 13/15/17)

Then for defense, the soldier has an average score, +5 from a tower shield (shield supremacy), +1-5 from armor use, and then portable cover at levels 10 and 20 for a solidly good defense score

(certain priest domains, like metal, can make this even worse, as can the metal elemental bloodline and the paladin expert class)

So, how can a DM or player overcome this?

If it weren't for the shield mastery benefit of decreasing AP by your # of melee feats (even worse on a fighter soldier), you can get high AP or high damage (assassin + stilletto, a large-scale maul or warhammer on a large character with hammer basics, a rune knight with slicing rune; certain priest builds can have extreme damage bonuses) and maybe sprawl the soldier and go to town, but the shield things kinda negates a lot of that. Armor supremacy also negates using sneak attack to beat his DR. And you can't just use called shot, because his defense is also very good. So I'm thinking you'd have to sunder his shield (can't if he has the metal path maxed out), probably with said large character and hammer mastery. You could try using acid damage to destroy his armor and shield, if you have a source of it.

I'm still not sure how you get to target a shield, exactly.

From page 206:
"An object’s Defense is equal to 5 + its Size modifier (if stationary), 10 + its Size modifier (if moving), or its holder’s total Defense bonus + its Size modifier (if carried)."

You just attack objects like you can attack anything else. Even if they are carried. It only seems weird because it's a special 'sunder' action in most 3.x products. There's also the Sundering Chop trick from the axe feat tree, which allows you to deal the damage of your attack against both your target and one piece of gear that they are carrying.

Damage reduction has no effect on falling damage! Which can be a nasty surprise for players who are used to not taking damage.

Spellbound?

weird that a guy holding a shield gets to use the shields defense bonus against a guy trying to hit his shield

I think it's fair to say that deflecting a blow with a shield is functionally different enough from having your shield struck in such a way that it is at risk of being broken that I'm okay using the guard bonus of the shield for the shield itself in my games, but if it really bugs you you could always rule that the guard bonus of the shield does not apply to the shield itself, or talk to your GM about it.

Let's talk homebrew, since it's supposed to be one of fantasy crafts strong suits.

What good homebrew have you found? What would you like to see house rules address? Have you made anything yourself that you would like to share with the rset of the class?

I like a lot of the stuff that got put in the Bag of Ho.ding, though I could do without the dozen specialties that exist solely because people wanted another species feat at level 1. I think the blade dancer expert class is a good patch for dual wielding and covers a lot of what the edgemaster wanted to but failed because edgemaster sucks.

The official forums have a lot of feat chains to fix xbows and firearms, but nothing that address my personal peeve of many-armed being so good for load weapons that it's virtually mandatory.

Is Many-Armed that good for load weapons? RAW It gives you one Handle Item action as a free action. Unless I've missed some errata. That's pretty good, but it's still only half the benefit Quick Draw gives you, and Quick Draw already lets you fire any black powder weapon save the hand cannon every second turn, if you aren't moving and you do have a bandolier. Maybe it gives you a bit more flexibility to have Many-Armed, but it should, that's what feats are for.

>because edgemaster sucks.
Why?

Just carry 8 guns lmao

>Is Many-Armed that good for load weapons?
Yes, start combat with a gun in each hand. Drop them once fired, and quick draw new ones. With two-weapon style, many-armed, and quick draw, you can:

Start combat holding six pistols.
First round: fire four, drop them, quick draw two and a third via many-armed (you now have 5 ready to go)
2nd round: fire four, draw one for free (you now have 2 ready to go)
3rd round: draw one for free, fire three (and maybe bludgeon with a 4th if an enemy is within reach)

Of course that's 11 guns, which is expensive.

add on surge of speed and more guns to do this even more

have six, one in each hand
1: fire four, draw four
2: fire four, draw two
3: fire four, draw two
4: draw two, fire four

aw fuck, im dumb, quick draw is twice per round, not per combat

you can then draw three for free every round, and a fourth with surge of speed

You'll never have enough guns to keep this up until you can't do it anymore

1: fire four, draw four
2: fire four, draw four
3: fire four, draw four
4: fire four, draw four
5: fire four, draw three
6: fire four, draw three
7: fire four, draw three
8: draw one, fire four, draw two
9: draw two, fire four, draw a melee weapon

assuming 4 action points
36 guns
Good luck and sorry for like 5 retarded posts

I always found it amusing that the giant's bulge is as big as the dwarf in front of him.

I think it's actually an ogre, going by the examples given in the book

bumping with my wife's 3.5 druid converted to FC

Gifted Druid Mage
Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 17 (wis 20, cha 22 at 20th)
Elf-blood, Owl Nation, BSM (Healer), Animal Partner, Blessed (Nature), Casting Basics, Comely, Doublecast, Elegant, Enchanting, Casting Mastery, Casting Supremacy, Spell Library, Spell Power, Spell Conversion (x)
Crafting (Pharmacy), Haggle, Impress, Investigate, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride (Riding Mounts), Search, Sense Motive, Spellcasting, Survival
0 - Glow I, Flare, Endure Elements, Touch of Light
1 - Cure Wounds I, Entangle, Detect Magic, Insight, Pass Without Trace
2 - Brawn I, Gust of Wind, Resist Energy, Shield Other, Scorching Ray
3 - Haste, Heroism I, Scrye II, Verdure, Wall of Wind
4 - Concealing Countryside II, Cure Wounds IV, Freedom of Movement, Restoration II, Rusting Grasp
5 - Control Weather III, Heal, Natural Attunement, Nature's Ally III, True Seeing
6 - Find the Path, Identify II, Lift Curse II, Mass Status, Tree Walk
7 - Counter Magic II, Fire Storm, Scrye IV, Teleport II
8 - Brawn IV, Mass Cure Wounds IV, Protection from Spells, Sunlight II
9 - Nature's Ally V, Mass Heal, Heroism III, Lift Curse III, Resurrection III

If I'm playing a drake, how else besides native ferocity can I increase my natural attack grades?

Dragon Lord master class and Wild Side spells (cast yourself, by a teammate, from an oil of wilding, or a magic item) are pretty much it.

However, note that natural attacks are unarmed attacks, and thus benefit from Martial Arts/Master's Art and anything else that helps unarmed. (At least barring GM ruling to the contrary; for instance, I'd personally be leery of applying Kicking B/M/S to a bite attack, but Martial/Master's Art seems perfectly appropriate.)

Is this is a level 20 character, they're going to be fighting TL 20+ enemies. There are several damage types that ignore DR entirely. Some abilities that do not interact with defense or DR at all.

Falling sprawled reduces your defense and halves your DR. Being disarmed reduces your Defense significantly, and means you can't get the AP reduction of your shield feats.

More importantly, this is 20 levels of focus on being "I'M FUCKING INVINCIBLE". That represents opportunity cost of being good in other areas. Consider options to challenge the character, but don't look for ways to invalidate their build; let them be invincible every now and then, it's what they worked for.

Action points? This isn't 5e.

5e doesn't have those either

This. Took the words right out of my mouth.

In particular, it's worth noting that this guy's wearing armor that costs (even after the maximum Armor Use discount) a whopping 2580 silver (4020 if he springs for articulated plate for even better Defense). In fact, it's likely to be even more than that, because fitted armor is by definition going to be a custom job, which means it's either going to be commissioned or crafted by someone in the party. A commission would double the price -- 5160s for regular plate, or 8040s for articulated -- and take 3-4 months of downtime. Soldiers being a low-Lifestyle class, that's going to take a long time to save up for. There's also the fact that, since this requires dwarven expertise, it may not be easy to find a smith capable of creating it in a given campaign setting -- so you're looking at a DC 27 or 35 Haggle check to track it down.

Crafting is an option, and is even a class skill for Soldiers, but without investing in Crafting B/M/S it's going to take the same 3-4 months as a commission, even at high level with maxed-out ranks. That amount of wait time may or may not even be feasible, depending on the particulars of the campaign.

Top-tier armor is NOT easy to come by.

I made two races based off Pathfinder Ratfolk and Entobian for a setting I'm converting to Fantasy Craft. Instead of making a bunch of Species feats that let Entobian molt into different bugs, like the original race, I'm just going to let them count as human for Species feats. So Fey Heritage will turn them into a butterfly and Demonic Heritage will make the a beetle.

Ratfolk
Small folk 30 ft reach 1
+2 to lower Int or Dex
Iron Gut
Enlightened Skill Crafting
Dark Vision 1
Bloodhound

Entobian
+2 Dex +2 Cha -2Wis
Small folk 30 ft reach 1
Multi-Armed
Sure Footed
Camouflage

There isn't really anything you can *add* to address your frustrations regarding Many-Armed, because anything you add to make load weapons better will just make them that much better in the multiple hands of a Many-Armed character. If you don't like the advantage that Many-Armed gives, you're going to have to nerf that feat itself or ban it entirely.

I would suggest that the problem is less with Many-Armed per se, but rather with your mindset about character options. A given option being clearly beneficial for a particular style of combat isn't necessarily "unbalanced" unless (A) it's *so good* that it makes other styles (not other ways to build the same style, but other combat styles entirely) clearly inferior, or (B) it isn't feasible to make that style viable without that particular option. Consideration A is not really an issue in this case, and the homebrew that is out there for load weapons seeks precisely to address issue B by making it easier to make a viable load weapon wielder without being Many-Armed. The relevant question for game balance is not "is there a clear 'best' way to build this kind of character", but rather "is this kind of character strong enough to not be dead weight, but not so strong that it makes everyone else useless by comparison?"

>I think the blade dancer expert class is a good patch for dual wielding
Could you elaborate on this? What about dual-wielding do you think needs "patched"?

Let's consider this. Guns take load 6 at least, and deal 3d6 damage as a median.
That's 3-18 damage, averaging out to 10.5 damage. Guns also have little AP.
This is an average of 42 damage a turn for 2 rounds, with 31 damage on the last turn.

To accomplish this, you took Many Armed, spending your species great and level 1 feat. You also restrict yourself to Unborn or Rootwalker in order to take that.

You must also take Two-Weapon Fighting to fire two at once. Angry Hornet and Blackened Sky only apply to a single weapon Two-Weapon Style is specific to two weapons, not four. This means to fire four, you must fire two, attack with your other half action, and have some other source of a free attack.

You also must have Quick Draw.

That is three feats, one a level 1 only, a source of a free attack, and 11 guns.

A similar character with a longbow can take Angry Hornet and Blackened Sky, Bow Basics, and can have a source of a bonus attack.

This lets them attack with +2 attack, +2 damage 5 times a turn, until they run out of ammo. This is 5d6, or average of 17 damage a round. However, against an enemy if DR 3, the longbow loses no damage, while the gun build drops to average of 26 damage. DR 4 further reduces this to 22 damage.

Consider that the bow can do this sort of damage from level 1, without the cost of 11 guns and 11 bullets.

Consider that the bow can keep up this damage on round 4, when the gunslinger gets to spend their turn frantically reloading.

It's a good build to unload a lot of damage all at once, but it isn't broken, and it comes at a pretty high opportunity cost. There's nothing to "deal with"

Consider that the bow

Sorry, the bow's damage is actually 5d6+10, or 27 damage average per turn.

And it gets even wonkier if the archer goes up to Bow Supremacy for Multi-Shots. Each of those attacks can then be potentially up to 3d6+6. Guns (at least without homebrew content) have no comparable trick for bonus damage.

Who was your favorite character to play as? Mine was only ever being GM

>implying we've ever played

Let's fix that? I'd be interested in playing.

anybody want to host a game on giantitp?

I'm nowhere near good enough to DM, but I'm sure you'd get a lot of players from here

Are we talking pbp game or what? I've wanted to join a Fantasy Craft game for months now but haven't never been able to find anyone or the proper time to do it.

yes

I've played two so far, and my current one is a lot more fun. Mage whose mentor indoctrinated her into thinking she's a full-blown magical girl, because her mentor (like most wizards) has no sense of right and wrong and thought inculcating bizarre delusions into an impressionable young apprentice would be hilarious.

My previous character was basically hobbit Uncle Iroh, which was pretty fun too, but wasn't as fun in the context of my particular party. I might come back to that character concept in another campaign sometime.

Shiiiit, if it happens during a time I could commit, I'm 100% on board if the group would have me.