ITT: Veeky Forums-nostalgia thread

ITT: Veeky Forums-nostalgia thread

Grab the oldest shit in your Veeky Forums-folder and post it to counter all the newfag-cancer.

postan some more just to get the thread rolling

Good times.

It figures that the best posts are the ones from 07.

We were so pure back then. We couldn't get that kind of humor these days. We'd probably hate it if posted nowadays anyway.

Am I the only one here that suddenly wants to cry and leave Veeky Forums and never return?

Can these simpler times be ever brought back again, or are they gone forevermore?

It's actually sad to think Dammit Carlos pun reactions are the only dumb humor still allowed now.

not the oldest in my folder, but this thread was fun

Now I joined about 5 years ago, things were pretty chill. How different was it before?

Things aren't so bad now. But I only pop in maybe once every two weeks.

Good shit

Pahaha

Daily edition wars, quests never reached double digits, no generals.

Lot lewder.

Yea I got a 24 hour ban for posting a bikini mail demon what the hell

>joined about 5 years ago
Lurk moar newfag

Yeah, my current old man gripe with tg is that restricting "bad stuff" doesn't make the good stuff happen either. Tg is still awful at the games they talk about and actually going to relevant outside forums are generally the better answer for your questions.

>tfw i was there for that....

Are you me?

Veeky Forums used to be called /d/lite and was a lot more magical.(realm). A lot of reminiscing about shit from back in the 90s, lots of oWOD, lot of intermingling with /x/, thulsa doom threads (bitches for doom), draw fag threads (usually lewd), reaction face threads (those were fun). Though we liked it back then, the tides change, people move on, people grow up, new people have new wants and ideas of fun. There are new experiences now to be had.

Yeah, but what's fun about tg now though?

This place exists basically as a gaming newsletter and pdf archive for me at this point

was trying to find the thread with the jumping spiders going on a quest. Couldn't find it so have this /v/ thread instead

nothing user. not much is fun at all. It is the story of mexicai soup. All the ingredients each person didn't like were removed until all that was left was hot water. I dont like the "old fag club" i also dont like aplogizing for opinions so I wont, but I have seen where this place was, an what it became. Times change, thats natural, but a lot of the fun was chased away by a few asshole mods, and dedicated fuckheads who really "stop liking what I dont like" and fought to change the board's culture. They chased away the draw fags first, then the write fags, by being assholes or getting rid of lewd, chased away talk of books to lit, and games to the V, chased away the quests to /qst/, and now, here it is.

Its bland. Its bland and boring. I find myself participating in chapter creation threads to pass time, but ive got a job, and a family now. The Unique melange of people here was ruined by a few SJWs and autistic rules lawyers. That is how I personally feel, but I also acknowledge that there is new blood here, and the old times are never coming back, and its stupid to try and reconstitute them because it just becomes a parody of shit that has long since passed.

A lot of Veeky Forums was also aping on pop culture memes. This is sparta, etc.

>tfw 4e was literally a decade ago

>but ive got a job, and a family now
This, honestly. The days when I can just spend a week caressing bottled lightning into a game with other people, those days are long gone.

>The unique melange of people here was ruined by a few SJWs

I find that the reverse is also true. Shit like you can't talk about the viability of Egypt or India as setting inspiration without people spouting the same tired /pol/ and /int/ memes.

>Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
Wow, what the hell?

Honestly, WE WUZ KANGZ and POO IN LOO are less annoying than the people who think everything needs to be a political argument. Although those are as often T_D as they are SJW.

OP here. This is so accurate it hurts my soul. The only people now who claim that Veeky Forums didnt hit rock-bottom are newfags who came from reddit and tumblr.
What gets me angry the most is that gloating about ''HURR HURR AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE QUESTHREADS EVERYDAY'' by people too fucking retarded to realize that the same people who ran quests were the same writefags we praised and screencapped for their writefaggotery.

btw
>post couple of shit
>no one participates
>make some food
>come back an hour later
>ITS ALIVE
>mfw

Exactly. It's not so much a problem of SJWs or /pol/acks alone ruining things, it's both of them deciding that they have to argue about it everywhere even though neither side will ever really relent and the arguments inevitably go nowhere.

It's like these people never had grandparents to remind them not to talk politics at social events.

>Elf slave wat do threads are now a ban-able offence

Quests ruined themselves. Quests were not an issue when they were short things rarely going more than 3 parts. Then 10+ parts became the norm and it just got too insular for majority of the board to enjoy.

Generals and quests basically killed the total board participation. While I don't post, I do enjoy the presence of galactic council thread just because it's way for everyone to talk about inconsequential shit.

Board quality is so low that there's nothing left to do but respond to bait. All the good posters are drowned out by shit and most of the great ones left this miserable plane of existence years ago. No one posts elsewhere so combined with a board that's just fast enough to get replies you have a place where there's too many faggots to do anything collaborative and no fresh ideas. If I tried to get a dedicated 2 player tabletop system hammered out with nothing but a setting and a resolution mechanic, I'd get shitposted to death if I made a thread, or one reply in the /general/.

Im not sure.

I think my biggest pet peeve is people whining about MAGICAL REALM for no god-damn reason and I refuse to believe that edgy /pol/ would be that prudish.

So yeah, I blame SJWs and I also blame them for summoning /pol/ every time by starting their retarded political shit.
SJWs and retarded political correctness have proved time and time again to ruin creativity and all kinds of discourse, not fucking /pol/.

But how do you earn any TUSK-TOKENS if you ASSASSINATE THE WALRUS-KING?

Explains why I haven't seen any for a while. Oh well, more opportunity for monstergirls.

You sound like you're more a part of the problem than of the solution, mate.

>a board that's just fast enough to get replies
Veeky Forums is super fucking fast. It was better when it was slower. The speed is part of the problem, probably.

>If I tried to get a dedicated 2 player tabletop system hammered out with nothing but a setting and a resolution mechanic, I'd get shitposted to death if I made a thread
Maybe come up with a better hook. I agree that it's annoying how much it takes to get people to care and get involved these days, and how little people actually do, but there's still some people getting shit done even though the amount is much less (at least as a proportion of threads) and it tends to be less collaborative.

I think the problem you're describing is a different (and equally valid) one. Magical Realm complaints aren't inherently related to left/right politics. But that's also less prevalent these days than it was for a few years there, particularly in the wake of the nazimod.

I disagree. /pol/ is just as likely to get assblasted about random shit. SJWs really don't care about magical realm, in fact they're more likely to do it than regular people.

Also, I can't fucking stand the "lmao deus vult purge elves" at any mention of a slightly pointed ear these days.

>elf detected

That image is a bit silly though, because even in 2013 there was a big and creative indy scene. It's now eclipsed what we thought of as AAA in those days, but even then it was an option and was bigger than the entire market back in the days he's reminiscing about.

Basically this. I enjoyed quests for a little while, participated in one or two when they were just errant distractions. I have no problem with them being here on principle. The issue came when they grew into massive undertakings that you couldn't effectively participate in unless you had read the 50+ previous parts, which usually boiled down to the same handful of players trying to fuck the same waifu anyway.

Man I just want to talk about elves without someone yelling about Saracens for once.

Those were the days.

I am surprised that there are so many who became normal well-adjusted human beings. I mean, I am real happy for you guys.

That, and the market for them became oversaturated. The age of quests being good ended as tgchan was created.

I should have worded that better. It's too fast to deter people from posting constant garbage but not at the speed where the garbage hits 404 before getting picked up by retards.

The game was just an example of how fucked things are. You can go to a general and get nothing or make a thread and get told to play pathfinder with some heavy houserules instead of the old days where you'd go from something that didn't exist but needed to to some half assed rules and shitty lore 4 days later.

>SJWs really don't care about magical realm
>the very same people who see everything as sexualization of X or misogyny
>Somehow would be above calling anything that remotely makes them uncomfortable magical realm to shame someone into removing it

COME. THE FUCK. ON.
I don't know why you are defending SJWs so fervently but not even you yourself believe the retarded shit you just wrote.
This is literally the SJW modus operandi.

Oh, yeah with that clarification I agree with you. I kind of miss the old days. But as far as getting things done, I'm probably part of the problem since I'm a lot busier these days.

Just ignore and press on.

People are way too fucking tetchy now.
People will give you a chance if you persevere with serious topics. Unless it's stupid, then you deserve all the disrespect.

Nigga you seem to be stuck in the days of /pol/ 6+ years ago.

nu/pol/ complains nonstop about sexual 'degeneracy' and tries to drown out all discourse into JEW KEK KANGS and is just as much a band of creativity-polluting wannabe thought police as SJWs

authoritarian politicians who try to control art exist on both ends of the spectrum. Don't fall for the us vs them meme and take sides, recognize them both and their artificial internet wars as pure fucking cancer

Hear fucking hear

I feel like you've only read about SJWs, not actually seen them in action. If they want to say something is bad, they just come out and say it because they have 100% conviction of their correctness and the idiocy of anyone who disagrees with them. On the flip side, they want to inject their gay genderqueer animal-kin fantasies into literally everything. Everyone is gay or trans, and having gay and trans sex at the drop of the hat to show off how non-binary they are. More than that, they preach sexual freedom and shit so if you try and say that having sex in public is bad they'll call you an oppressive member of the patriarchy. Never mind the fact they make all their characters intentionally ugly just to feel more inclusive.

You realize the type of SJW you're talking about constitute the loudest and smallest of minorities and don't actually ever go on Veeky Forums, right? Most "SJWs" on Veeky Forums are just left-liberals, who very often do happen to be sexual libertines. The ones bitching and moaning about "magical realm" are chiefly American neopuritans, /pol/ or not, who carry a sense of "sex = sin" whether because they're genuinely religious or conservative or just because of magical thinking carried over from the atmosphere they grew up in.

They are like banana stickers. You can get it everywhere. You just think that they are rare and valuable

I feel that, but there's clearly a ton of shitposters with nothing else going on in their lives There are always helpful fuckers around, but you don't see much actual knowledge when it comes to certain topics like you used to because I'm certain most anons now don't and have never played

That, or they're salty /r/obots and any mention of the sex they're not having makes them sperg the fuck out and behave even regular human amounts of lust are out of line for any and all settings.

>everybody agrees that the real problem is when people make pointless shitty arguments
>this guy pops up triggered as fuck because someone is giving an objective description of SJW instead of condemning them as a buzzword
Aren't there other threads for you to ruin?

And then MTG decided to do that back-to-back. It was annoying.

We always had a lot of people who didn't know what they were talking about, though. You don't have to be well educated to have fun ideas.

This might be just me, but they also tended to absorb a lot of the creative writing and setting building. When someone had an idea or drew a picture I distinctly recall a lot of comments like "this would make a great quest" and then it would just die or become Waifu-simulator 9000.

I actually think one of the most harmful things that people don't really notice is the way that Ops can't bump their own threads any more, which combined with the higher population and faster posting speeds mean that original content can die a lot quicker and its not always feasible to write longer, more extended content. Hence greentext fragments rather than full sentences, short trolly ops to provoke people into responding and keeping things bumped, walled-garden generals that develop god-awful communities obsessed with posting the same things day in, day out, and general sterility. It only compounds the problems mentions.

Horse Seppuku and Shouting Matsu got me into L5R. God willing, one day I will find someone willing to play it with me.

Please don't remind me of Kaladesh. The fact they squandered how cool an Indian inspired setting could have been on tacky psuedo-steampunk and the Jacetice league fighting oppression kills me.

I mean, a lot of the games we made back in the old days never got played anyway, so I don't know that I can judge making them into quests as worse.

The lack of thread bumping is a good point, once upon a time I could fall off the front page, write a couple replies ostensibly trolling myself, and then discussion would pick right up and people would end up having a good time with the thread. These days, if a thread doesn't take off immediately, as most don't, that's it.

RIP Veeky Forums

I liked the energy mechanic and the like.

The main problem is they can't do that because Indian/Hindu culture and the like currently exist.
Remember how they had to stop printing demons to not offend Christians?
So they gave the "aetherpunk" setting they wanted a nice coat of Indian paint because they wanted to use the motifs without getting hated on by both sides.

most of my story cap collection isn'T that old, only 2010-2012 era, but still.

I know, shit just bothers me. Even if they had gone a slightly more obtuse route, like K6BD style. I just don't like the waste of the aesthetic on a dull concept. Indian mythology and the aesthetics that go with it have always been something I really like.

do you remember love, or filename

Fair enough
Though could you imagine what it would have been like if they used black people for Kaladesh like they almost did in Origins?

As much as I hate the jaded bullshit that goes on now, a lot of the old shit was lame at the time. There were always gems, but the shitpost culture has led to some really dry wit these days.

Wait, what the fuck did they almost do in origins.

Kaladesh was obviously ""India"" now, but the artists seem to have no idea how to paint an Indian person or something, so a lot of the "This is Kaladesh" art in Origins had black people instead. It was hilarious and I kind of wish they just rolled with it. We probably would have gotten more elephants that way.

Yeah, I think you're on to something there.

Didn't they try to do damage control to this by saying that it was specifically an "ethnically diverse" setting?

Both /pol/ and SJWs are dancing on the same strings, and they are both equally guilty of assisting in the degeneration of western society.

Who cares? We could all collectively die right now and the environment would still be fucked beyond repair. The seas will die and everything else will turn to shit as we recoil from the stench.

This guy knows what's up.

Global warming and climate denial are both hoaxes perpetuated by the Illuminati to divide society.