Why does every player love to specifically find the most wacky and crazy races possible and play them...

Why does every player love to specifically find the most wacky and crazy races possible and play them? What happened to the classic story about farmers, craftsmen, and disenfranchised petty nobles starting their adventures from a truly low place?

I'm putting together a party for 5e to run a converted Caverns of Thracia and my four friends chose Goliath, Tiefling, Dragonborn, and Yuan-ti Pureblood. Its just a big aesthetic peeve of mine, I hate this mishmash of crazy weirdos all smushed together for no reason. Hell these guys are scarier than the hordes of gnolls, lizardmen and minotaurs that theyre gonna face, it feels ridiculous.

Of course players (in my experience) LOVE to play the stupidest wackiest shit ever so if I dont want to have grumpy players I should let them have fun their way.

For any DM's that feel that feel the same as I do, how do I learn to just deal with this? Should I just give in and build the world with the assumption of wackiness and hyper racial diversity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

Newer players/immature players, in my experience, are the ones that like to play that kind of stuff. My older players that have been with me for a while mostly play the standard core races, and just make their characters interesting through background and action.

The 2 that are new though like to play wacky races and backstorys that make them stand out. From what I've seen they don't seem to know how to play a different person yet, so I guess they try to be different from themselves in other ways, but they end up just being themselves but more impulsive and weird looking.

Don't get me wrong, it's not exactly easy to be a different person, it takes time and practice. Hell, I sucked when I first started role playing.

But anyway, to answer your question, no. If they want to use their race to stand out and be wacky, let them, but don't let it change your world. ex. Tieflings are demon brood, who would welcome that shit knowingly into their town?
If you both play it right it can make their character more interesting.

I don't think it's really a trend so it must be your group.
To be honest I like when the races are more different from each others than elves, dwarves,ect... but only if that make sense in the setting and you are not the 0,000000000001% non-evil people of your monstrous race.

Inevitably, in any game that has races in it humans are the 'balanced' race which gets no benefits and drawbacks, or gets benefits evenly distributed across all stats. When players make a character they don't want an insignificant boost to each ability score, they want bonuses concentrated in the things their build will actually use.

If you want players to choose human characters, allow them to assign those same mechanical bonuses to human characters.

New players like screwing around with options they haven't try before. Old players either already done it or know they are more trouble then they are worth.

stop playing d&d

Are you kidding, its even more of a problem outside D&D.

people love wackiness, they love being different and standing out
>wackiness and hyper diversity
sure, why not?
not everyone wants to play Game of thrones simulator, and diversity gives everyone more options when building their character
no one was ever hurt by more options, and walking into a city and seeing dozens of races all part of single crowd makes for a colorful picture and sends t he message "yeah, this is fantasy"

There are a few reasons it could be happening. It could be for mechanical advantage, it could be to be special, or it could be because they just like it. I can understand your frustration, and if it's such a big deal to you maybe you should talk with them about it, but those choices in and of themselves are not inherently bad. Yes, they will be done poorly 90 percent of the time, but it can be done well. The question is do you trust your friends to do a good job, and do you believe you can have an enjoyable session with them? If the answer to these two questions is yes, then why do you give a shit? If the answer is no, then why are you gaming with them?

>What happened to the classic story about farmers, craftsmen, and disenfranchised petty nobles starting their adventures from a truly low place?
People got bored of it.

I specifically play only humans, or half-humans if necessary. Sure it's roleplaying, but I want to connect on some level.

Same for me.

>What happened to the classic story about farmers, craftsmen, and disenfranchised petty nobles starting their adventures from a truly low place?
user, what do you think the young dragonborn farmer who has been raised on stories of the great warriors and heroes of his people does?
Or the petty noble tiefling whose family has been disgraced after his infernal ancestry was exposed and now he is on the run?

Just because it isnt human doesn't mean that he race cannot do the basics. Maybe you need to stop thinking of these races as weird one offs and think about them as entire races of people, with their own craftsmen, farmers, and nobles. And the fact you didn't say no to certain races, like yuan ti pureblood an actual monster race, is your own damn fault.

And yes you should build the world with high racial diversity in mind, it's literally the basis for the official setting in 5e, and pretty much every D&D setting. Go back to Mystara or Forgotten Realms, or Greyhawk, or any of the lesser well known settings from older editions, and it's full of weird races for players to use. This insistence on human only games is a farce perpetrated by idiots who have never read any of the official game settings for D&D.

The only reason I allowed the pureblood is the exact reason I made this post. Players (that one especially) LOVE to play monsters and the literal weirdest wackiest shit. They dont agree with or even understand my POV at all and basically pestered me into allowing it. I care about their fun more than my aesthetic preferences ultimately but it still annoys the hell out of me.

Fpbp

>Why does every player love to specifically find the most wacky and crazy races possible and play them?

Maybe your players do. I've never encountered this. Maybe get better players?

Still happens all the time. Maybe tell your players ahead of time this is the game you want to run?

>my four friends chose Goliath, Tiefling, Dragonborn, and Yuan-ti Pureblood. Its just a big aesthetic peeve of mine,

Why did you give them these options?

I know this is a shitty b8 thread, but seriously fuck off. Faggots who complain about muh playable tieflings greentext are way, way more annoying then the reality, in which most people don't even have this problem. Go strawman somewhere else, would you?

People love going against stereotypes and tropes, being different. Call it special snowflake if you want, but you have to learn to live with anything but the most extreme cases of it (coldsteel etc.). It's why when you say it's a campaign with no magic that one guy will want to play a cleric who is literally Jesus, when you say it's a military campaign so everyone should be in the X military someone is bound to want to be a spy from Y, and when it's a good campaign someone will want to play an evil character that will betray the party.

Youre a faggot. Conan the Fucking Barbarian is the iconic PnP RPG character. It's never been normal for people to want to RP as peasent farmers and shit.

>Newer players/immature players
How about this, I've played humans and dwarves since 2e and would like to play something new.

I play halflings and goblins because I like the underdogs.

The appeal of the boost to stats and the chance to be something different.

Hell, freaking Mystara had a PC race that were elf-ogre hybrids! That sort of shit hasn't appeared in any other setting, even freaking Dragonlance.

I call it Star Wars Cantina Syndrome.

>Goliath, Tiefling, Dragonborn, and Yuan-ti Pureblood

What stops them being farmers/craftsmen/disenfranchised petty nobles? The Dragonborn for example, Arkhosia has all of those things and so would Bael Turath for the Tiefling.

But I have read the official settings for DnD, and the fact that you're a fan of their disastrous kitchen-sink nonsense is how I know that you're either a 12 year old R.A. Salvatore fan or that should kill yourself.

i dont care.
I just like the aesthetic appeal of certain races.
And if you interpret that as me liking crazy shit on purpose then i dont care. You are wrong.

Thats why i am a DM and not a player.
Because that way i can make a cool Ivalice like setting and dont have to deal with anyone elses grognard fantasy.

out of my current party in homebrew low-to-mid fantasy setting, 3 are playing humans and 1 is playing half-elf, no vampirism, werewolves, werediapers etc
one other player on the other hand came up with a human-worm symbiote from a tribe in which some chosen ones get to be filled and controlled by bugs and join the hivemind
we don't play with him now as it was simply too tiring

I think it might be a new player thing.
Here's my experience DMing for a group of new players:
>game 1
Elf
Halfling
Gnome
Tiefling
>game 2
Dragonborn
Aarakocra
Tiefling (same character as game 1)
Elf
Human
Satyr (using elf stats)
>game 3
Human
Human
Half-orc
Minotaur
(undecided but leaning human)

Tldr players started out playing typical fantasy races, then played wacky D&D races, then mostly went back to more grounded races

I almost always play humans, with a few half elves mixed in when I feel like it.

I almost always play normal guys/girls who just find themselves in the middle of stuff.

I've been criticized for not making my characters "cool" but it's by design since I always hear about mary sues and whatnot.

If you branch out in your social circle you'll find more and more people of all types and variety. It's just a coincidence you've gotten all one type

My games usually involve one person choosing an oddball race and everyone else going human and half-orc. It's a different player each time. My group just likes having variety I guess. I know one player had a female PC once just because we had 4 games straight of all dudes.

You know what you must do, OP.

user, it's the 21st century.
Everyone is equally as special as one another, no one can do harm without themselves being a victim and you CAN
MAKE
YOUR
DREAMS
COME
TRUE.
No matter how fucking ridiculously impractical and self-destructive!

Having said that, I just.. really like to play grotesque races typically undertrodden by the typical adventurer. Goblins n' Ratfolk all the way.

>derides inclusivity through sarcasm
>enjoys playing literal vermin
An hero

Players who play for the literally first time tend to pick the most generic things in my experience, like dwarven fighter or elf mage, just because they know those archetypes and sort-of know how to enact them. It's when they get a little bit of experience they decide to go full Chaotic Good kitsune half-demon paladin-warlock

What is up with neckbeards' fetish for HE WAS JUST A FARMER BOY AND NOW HE'S ADVENTURING! There certainly nothing wrong with making characters like tha-

>Should I just give in and build the world with the assumption of wackiness and hyper racial diversity?

Oh it's a bait thread, nevermind.

>insulting the noble pallylock MC
It should be a staple of the game goddamnit

explain this pic

>Why does every player love to specifically find the most wacky and crazy races possible and play them?

This. So much this. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part. No DM worth shit wants to spend hours and hours putting that in his world. Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first.

I dunno, it's the kind of thing 13 year old girls do and attention whores.
Worst part is that they won't even actually roleplay as these exotic races, except maybe playing up one single characteristic to an unhealthy degree.
Having a silly race is just a crutch.

Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green don't have this problem. Why aren't you playing better systems?

it's a reference to Monty Python's quest for the holy grail
youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4