"They didn't do anything wrong and are in no way worse than mankind!"

>"They didn't do anything wrong and are in no way worse than mankind!"
or
>"They're an evil plague upon the land that must be exterminated down to the last infant!"

What if I don't care about either side and just want to have a shallow but fun adventure about getting rich and occasionally having to defend myself?

I mean, you'd think most of us would, and yet it always gets all fucking complicated like this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I
youtube.com/watch?v=gIOQfdn9L9c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Then you will fit in with 99% of D&D groups

There's nothing wrong with that, you just need to find a group that also has that sort of mindset. Everybody likes different things.

>or
It always fucking baffles me how easily people fall into the pitfall of "moral dilemma" mindset.

You are being metaphorically offerred either the red pill, or the blue pill. REFUSE BOTH OF THEM.

WHEN YOU ARE BEING OFFERED A BINARY DILEMMA, CHANCES ARE BOTH OF THE CHOICES ARE WRONG.
THE CHOICE OF "X or Y" IS FALSE.
MAKE YOUR OWN PATH.

Pic related.

In the context of Medusa, yeah she didn't do anything wrong other than getting raped by Poseidon in Athena's temple

All generalidations are false, including this one
Sometimes you have a binary decision, and one is definitely wrong and one right.

... W-what? Wrong thread user? Can you explain wtf you mean?

>All generalidations are false, including this one
So some generalizations are true?

the picture in the op is of Medusa. she was cursed for being raped in the temple.

not that user but look at OP's pic. It's Medusa and Perseus.

Medusa is one of the more tragic figures of Greek Myth. Some anthropologists theorize that her demonization came later, and originally she was a figure of feminine empowerment, as originally Medusa was associated with prostitutes and was an emblem of supernatural protection for them.

To be fair, the entire Gorgon thing spawned some kick-ass imagery.

In mythology Poseidon wanted to have sex with Medusa, she didn't and ran to a temple of Athena seeking protection. She received none and Poseidon raped her right there in the temple, after Athena took "pity" and transformed her into what we know so no man would ever be able to harm her again, because they would turn to stone.

Athena is kind of a dick. Takes after her dad, maybe.

The myth varies based on whose telling it.

Some are this

In some tellings, she was a priestess of Athena, and was transformed for the 'crime' of despoiling the Temple of Athena by being raped.

In others she was turned into a Gorgon to protect her from future attacks and give her the power to strike back at others who would harm women.

I like some modern re-tellings where she tells Perseus her origin story and he feels awful, and it's less of a battle and more of a mercy killing that ends her loneliness.
Most DnD is like this my dude. Also, any Conan stuff. Do Conan stuff, it's fun.

Well, my party just recruited a chaotic neutral medusa after saving her from a bunch of trolls. Depending on how they handle it she might be a big boon for their freshly established barony or cause some problems.

>I like some modern re-tellings where she tells Perseus her origin story and he feels awful, and it's less of a battle and more of a mercy killing that ends her loneliness.

Unfortunately that's not at all in the themes of Greek Myth, which are meant to be warnings, not examples to follow.

>In others she was turned into a Gorgon to protect her from future attacks and give her the power to strike back at others who would harm women.

It's also worth noting that depictions of Medusa were popular as symbols of protection for women.

The variant of the story most people know, where Medusa is evil for no real reason, is a Roman version. Because Romans were basically super conservative barbarians.

I like the version of the story where she gets summoned by a big-titted slut and spends the rest of her life sucking on dem fat ass udders.

A happy end for a girl who truly deserved one.

>Expected to find discussion about the dnd evil/good system.

>Find an enlightening thread about greek mythology

WTF i love medusa now.

Doesn't she die in every path?

Dusa was always my Greek waifu welcome to the club. Fuckin Romans dropping hate bombs so she goes misunderstood for thousands of years.

This is why my setting's nations have a mix of all races, so the PC's enemies are equally diverse.
Also having them not fight to the death most of the time helps.

I believe she survives in the Heaven's Feel path to live in the happily ever after ending.

Nah, there's one or two endings where she survives. She stays with Sakura, who acts as an infinite battery, and it's pretty heavily implied that she'll help deal with wormslut's unique situation.

>"They didn't do anything wrong and are in no way worse than mankind!"
>"But you still have to kill them."

I think discussions about tone and setting, and what everyone expects from the game are worth having before starting.

It's frustrating for both the GM and the players when they both have strong, conflicting ideas about where the campaign will go.

You know, I always assumed that Perseus was one of the older myths, given that one of the names for the Greek army in the Iliad is based after his family line, and the fact that the bit where he fights the sea serpent has that 'winged dude fights snake' vibe that goes back forever. But it never occurred to me that it could have been laid on top of older myths later on in the timeline.

Our views are opposing. They have their own interests at heart and that comes at the cost of us. There is nothing wrong with them for that but we cannot and will not stand by and let that happen. Conflict is saddest when there isn't any other way.

Doesn't stop us from killing our fellow humans all the time, for the stupidest reasons imaginable.

>muh "we have no choice but to fight!"
youtube.com/watch?v=4PN5JJDh78I

>translation: "Killing them is the easy thing to do."

The right thing and the easy thing are seldom the same.

>All generalizations are false
Wait, are you generalizing all generalizations? While simultaneously stating that your own statement is false?

Medusa thread

>My Little Rape Victim Can't be This Cute!

If everything is someone's fetish, and Medusa was purposefully made so ugly that her looks petrify men, is it possible that the one who wouldn't be petrified is a hardcore fetishist who fetishizes ugliness?
Would he fall in love with Medusa and would they both live happily ever after and spawn a bunch of snek-haired kids?

>and Medusa was purposefully made so ugly that her looks petrify men

You know, as far as we can tell, ugliness wasn't part of the original story.

Athena just gave her the curse/superpower of petrifying eyes so that if Poseidon ever tried some shit again he'd get his dick turned to stone.

>implying his dick isn't already rock hard

man all this talk of Gorgons remind me of this one old fap comic

That sounds super fucking lame, what's the point of fantasy races if you can't have fantasy racism?
Your specie should be more then points on a sheet of paper.

Medusa a cute, would waifu. I just want to hold her hand and gaze into her beautiful ey

How does not being a uniform homogenous mass make a race more reducible to points on a sheet of paper rather than less?

I think the point the user was trying to make is that racism adds elements to a setting, which it does, but I'm sure your setting adds other elements of cultural strife if racism is absent

They're less transhuman and more the peak of biological evolution.

To be able to instantly adapt to your surroundings, to adapt to any situation instantly.

They're more human than they're not, even down to their inability to exist alongside their peers.

But instead of mechanically adapting themselves to survive, as humans have many times before as the tool welding race we are, they biologically changed themselves as wildlife did. They're at their own evolutionary dead end without peer, without the need to think as survival comes so easy, the necessity of tools and thought is gone. Mankind will find it's own end as well in the soulless cold embrace of machine.

To say that this is anything less than a 'MUH RULES OF NATUH' set up would be foolish. Way isn't the easy way, it's the only way.

The second one allows your wants.
Gives a constant source for threat and adventure to go clear them out and whithout the negative ramifications of butchering as many as you want for the fun of it.
Like orcs.

>uniform homogenous mass
He never said anything about that. There can be massive variation within a race while still maintaining a racial character.
If you strip the cultural and geographical traits from a race then they are nothing but stats. You make them less of a people every time you make them more like everyone else.

I laffed

Yes. It's a paradox.

>including this one
What do you think?

Still though, I think it's a good position to hold regarding generalisations. You can look at the situations, circumstances and context for them, and decide from there on a case-by-case basis whether there is a black-and-white "wrong" and "right".

And if you think it's a waste of time, you can just ignore the whole thing and get on with more important things!

Just enslave everyone. That way, they can't accuse you of genociding anyone. Plus, you get a lot of manpower, food, and subjects to order around, and everyone else is under your thumb. Not exactly easily doable for an adventurer, but eh
Like this fellow right here. Never committed geno-- oh wait

Just make the monsters attack you on sight. That way, you're always acting on self defense.

So what exactly is the supposed third choice in the Matrix? Refuse the red pill but try to find your own way out of the Matrix? Refuse both pills and try to be happy with the knowledge that your life is fake? Take the red pill and then turn against humanity? Say "fuck everything" and kill yourself? None of those choices are any better.

Then you should play D&D, you retarded braindead autist.

Except it's not.

Good is good, and evil is evil. Deal with it.

This post is utterly fucking useless for the subject of the discussion and you should feel bad for posting it.

All the Greek Gods are dicks, it's kind of their thing

IT depends. some versions have her turned horrifically ugly, with tusks and bronze talons and stuff, others have her as still beautiful but with the petrifying gaze thing

Hades was mostly okay. He just kidnapped one girl.

Generalizations exist for a reason, but there can always be exceptions.

To follow to the hilt or fully reject the concepts embodied in a generalization of a thing are both foolish.

Alright, how about this: morality has to be objective for it to have any value, because anything less ends up as nothing but a mere subjective and arbitrary preference. The rejection of a binary is the sign of a weak will unwilling to accept the facts and attempting to weasel out by finding a 'third' path.

To answer OP, the issue is that on one hand, sure, engage in escapism because not everything has to have depth but in its own way that is just accepting a set of implicit principles that will have to be brought up if you ever attempt to turn it into anything more than casual fun.

Well, might not even have been kidnapped. Some imply elopement, some imply she wandered down on her own. Either way, they ended up one of the most faithful and happy couples in Greek myth. It was her mother who threw a fit, not her, after all.

Or maybe the campaign's true focus is elsewhere and all the goblins and stuff are just random encounters with no depth or attention wasted on them?

It wasn't just one girl, it was Persephone, which plunged the wolrd into an eternal winter until her Mum got her back. Oh and even then he rules-lawyered her into having to spend half of every year with him in the underworld.

Then there was the shit with Orpheus and Eurydice

That still has implied principles to it. Which again, I've ran and played games like it but my point is there are still implied moral principles tied into that and you'd have to face that if you ever want to make it MORE than that and accept those implications even outside of that.

I don't know, their marriage always gives off a weird vibe, given that neither of them ever cheated (which is kind of the default setting of every other Greek God), and they never managed to have any kids either (which is also pretty unusual for Greek Gods)

cant they be both? its all a matter of perspective and competition

Let me guess you're an "agnostic"?

>ancient greek society
>female empowerment
Yeah those anthropologists are talking shit.

Cut that snake cunts he's off Perseus you fucking hero

Why? Obviously women would need empowerment back then.

That's my point, why would such a profoundly misogynist society (actually misogynistic that is, not that they cough while women are speaking 7.3% more often then men on average) produce any kind of mythology like that with a vaguely pro-female perspective?

>Ancient Greece is modern Greece
>All ancient Greece is ancient Athens

Women have their own mythology, that's how.

They probably had a lot more female-empowering myths going on back then, but because the society was so misogynistic, this is all that's left of it for us to hear about.

>All Ancient Greece is Thebes

Wew

Superior version
youtube.com/watch?v=gIOQfdn9L9c

Ancient Greece is ancient Greece you fucking spastic cunt, if the legend comes from an ancient Hellenic city state it's an ancient Greek legend, even if city states had massively different views
Fucking stupid Athenian cunts, Epirus is best anyway you fucking scum

>Epirus
>Greek Gypsies/Barbarians
>Best
Get some culture you pleb

user is probably talking about the pre-Olympian Greek mythologies which appear to have gone through a syncretic fusion like that of Egypt, and in several of which the primary godhead was female (Kore as a deity predating Demeter and Persephone, Hecate, the mother goddess of Crete who may have become Rhea, etc.)

People think ancient Greece was Athens but it was really Frank Miller's Sparta.

This satire might be too deep for me.

I mean you CAN play the PC equivalent to Venice, but then you might miss out on plothooks and opportunities for a plot.

And by Epirus you mean Corinth.

>>"They didn't do anything wrong and are in no way worse than mankind!"
>or
>>"They're an evil plague upon the land that must be exterminated down to the last infant!"

I don't see how those two are mutually exclusive when you're playing an all evil murderhobos campaign

>tusks
>implying i fucking wouldn't

I take it you've never actually played an RPG, or at most you've played with like a handful of groups, and are now making summary blanket statements about the hobby as a whole?
That's like 99% of the content on Veeky Forums to be fair, but you should not assume everyone to be like your groups, or for any given group to behave as Veeky Forums would have you expect them to.

What's this from?

suisei no gargantia

Hell yeah man

I don't like when lore start substituting ethnicity for personality. Makes it feel shallow.

For gamey purpose, evil mook race is acceptable, but when overdone it starts feeling like in-universe racist propaganda with GM/Main character/Narrator being the unrealiable narrator Nazi villain all along.

Hades had three kids, they just never left the Underworld or did anything notable.

The third choice is the unknown. It can be any one of the others, it can even be failure, but it's the only choice where you have free will.

If you take the red or the blue pill you're choosing a path with predetermination. Either the path of ignorance where you live out a life as the matrix demands acting as a human battery/Processor for the machines or you choose the predetermined path of the one which Neo finally rejects in the third movie(and dies for it).

Basically if you don't take the pills you keep the right to make your own choices. When you take the pills you surrender your right to choose to the matrix, it's just which particular matrix process you're surrendering to that differs.

>he believes in that "Morpheus is just on a different tier within the matrix"
That's just a theory. A FILM THEORY

Actually, I believe in my personal god. But nice try, Shlomo.

More best girl

Okay basic rule of thumb? Most players are of course speaking of their own experiences.

No one is really ever saying only X ever happens they're saying Ive only ever seen X how do I fix it?

Next time instead of acting like a smug asshole show some basic common sense. Asshole.

some people dont understand myth

>faithful
>cheated on him with Adonis and had children with said mortal
Adonis was actually a pretty cool guy all things considered.

Obligatory

Not him but i never heard of persephone cheating on hades