Has anyone here ever run or played MAID before? What was it like?

Has anyone here ever run or played MAID before? What was it like?

A refreshing change of pace because you roll characters you would never create yourself, so you need to step out of your comfort zone and roleplay more daringly than you would otherwise.

I played MAID not to long ago, it's a lot of fun but does require a good GM because it's really light and thus very reliant on good fluffing or players doing crazy shit.

How easy is it to adapt MAID into other settings? For example, running a game where the maids are actually members of a space pirate crew and the Master is the captain of the ship?

If you keep a "subordinate/master" type of thing going on, like "crew and captain" it's easy as fuck, all you have to do is refluff what things say or do. It's near zero effort. Someone made a Highschool and a Delinquent RPG with MAID and a conversion kit thing for Dark Heresy. You can really do whatever the fuck you want with it.

What do you mean? Catte or no Catte?

Every time I've run MAID has been potentially enjoyable but ruined by shitty people. Just make sure you play it with people you really synch up with.

That sounds like the hard part, especially over Veeky Forums. No one in my usual group would be interested in this sort of thing, sadly.

Maid is one of the best designed comedy RPG's I've ever seen.

It's also the only game where I can tolerate rolled stats, since low stats are just as funny as high ones.

I rolled a double-pure catgirl succubus miko who was adopted by the master and became a maid... with a Skill scire (the stuff you use for actual maid duties) of 0. The master was some sort of demigod or undefined supernatural being inhabiting a pocket dimension where all sorts of weird shit happens. Other players included a spicy Spanish angel who acted more like a devil, a teleporting failed ninja foxgirl, and a robot from the future who was somehow the foxgirl's biological sister. Long story short, I became a love god via a holy Clippy and the master got bullied a lot.

One of the random event tables actually is based on this very idea being what you're doing.

It is fun as fuck.
I wish my players would get more into the moƩ aspect since that is part of the fun but either way they enjoy it.
[Spoiler]I am thinking about writing up a Steven Universe module where you play as a Pearl to help them get more into it since they are mostly huge SUfags.[/Spoiler]
It is incredibly fun to gm since you can let the book do most of the work and work with what you get.
I wish I actually could play sometime.

why not play a cool game instead?

That's good to hear then.

Would anyone be interested in helping a newfag run a game of MAID based on this premise? Orr alternatively running one themself?

sounds lovely

As long as you keep it to a oneshot.

>A one page rulebook that boils down to generic action movie tropes but with anime.
That looks like shit user.
MAID can do all of that but with more options.

I really want to play MAID but I don't have weeb friends who are into board games
or weeb friends
or friends who are into boardgames
or friends in general
I also don't feel comfortable pretending to be senpai's NBR imouto in a room full of strangers

>board games
You did this on purpose, didn't you?

Does the system not handle campaigns well?

I mean I wouldn't want to run a years-long campaign with it anyway, but a few sessions all pertaining to the same setting and cast could be fun.

A one-shot can be a few sessions, but no, MAID does not lend itself well to extended campaigns.

That's probably for the best then I suppose. About how many individual adventures or scenarios or what have you would best fit the system?

>About how many individual adventures or scenarios or what have you would best fit the system?
One, especially if you make any reasonable use of the random tables.

Plenty! Hell, the core book alone has 11 pre-made scenarios.

The thing with why maid works best as a one shot or few sessions is because character growth in the usual sense isn't the focus, its having a good time and seeing how deep a rabbit hole you and your group goes down, and this isn't a rabbit hole specifically about being kawaii uguu, it's playing Baron Munchausen in the middle of his adventures rather than talking about them after.

At its most basic elements, Maid is a Japanese tv game show where the GM plays an announcer and the PCs play contestants that do their damnest to please the announcer. PCs get XP by pleasing the GM's PC, there's no other way, and what pleases the GM's PC at the moment is dependent on his character and whatever scenario is rolled up on the table. Its why any setting works: its like taking Takeshi's Castle, replace the obstacles and setting, and then calling it Ninja Warrior. No setting has any reason to be just one place - you can be playing Medieval Japan, a meteor falls, suddenly there's aliens, then a pit to the demon lord's castle opens up thanks to the meteor weakening their barrier, and then one of your rolled up scenarios told your group to get to the gate that leads to modern times.

This is just talking about Maid in broad strokes, the player characters and the GM PC very much colors and changes a lot of what's going on, stress explosions (what happens when you hit 0 HP) makes huge dents in everyone's plans, and pleasing the GM PC never just boils down to crossing a finish line: its an actual PC that can be pleased, coerced, deceived and maybe even killed if your campaign even wants to go into killing.

So in theory it could last as long as the GM and the PCs are having fun then?

Well like any game, yes.

Like said earlier, its like Alice in Wonderland where everyone is crazy bonkers because the game thrives on randomness even moreso than any other rpg out there. The cost of that is trying to find a way to actually have a consistent adventure rather than a sitcom or slice of life comedy where the big bad problem changes literally every 30 minutes.

Maid is fun as hell, if your group is open for it, its a blast to play. The caution is that its not geared for longterm without some tight reigns and a group that's ran it some time to get a feel for how to stay composed. The game goes from 0 to crazy in an Alice in Wonderland sense the moment you roll the next scenario, so it gets very nonsensical very, very quickly

We played it straight for 20 or so sessions when we finally jumped the rails, killed the Master, broke Earth civilization and started and led a galactic civil war.

I've always wanted to run a oneshot, but my RPG friends aren't as weeby as me. They'd probably be down to play for a laugh, but would be surprised to find that it's not all SENPAI NOTICE ME and tentacle rape jokes.