/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/hello-kitty-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you played a game set during a war?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1bRKa3iK
youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc
teylen.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/v5-playtest-impressions/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well...
* Vampires attempted to fuck with the ABC organizations
* Vampires failed, and the government (not just Project Twilight, but the full government) got wind of 'unliving entities' in their midst.
* They, along with some backing from the Technocracy, began a purge. This is the Second Inquisition.
* This is due in large part to the Anarch Movement as a sect.
* The Camarilla became super insular and cut off their youngers, giving them just one rule to follow: the Masquerade. The streets are given over to the neonates and ancillae, and we're returning to the use of 'anarch' in lowercase to mean a non-Elder, non-Camarilla-approved vampire.
* The Camarilla is now something you earn your way into by not being a fuckup.
* Elders have been called to the East to fight in the 'Gehenna War' in ancient, old forgotten temples. The Sabbat followed suit because of the mass of Elders and, y'know, Gehenna.
* The Anarch Movement is a mess of its former self, after single-handedly fucking things up by wrecking Camarilla in Berlin and bringing down the wrath of the government.

Because they hired a shitty avante-garde art director. Everything except the Brujah looks awful, and the Brujah look like fucking hipsters.

>GM keeps giving circumstantial bonus dice to rolls, which is fine, rewards players for things and planning to circumvent this bullshit rng fiesta that seems to be this system
>I've never gotten these bonus dice, only the tabletop grill seems to be getting them

How do I approach the GM about this shit without coming across as petty? They're nice people, but i'm tired of never having a spotlight and it makes my own plans feel pointless if only her plans or persuasion rolls get bonus modifiers

>and the Brujah look like fucking hipsters.

Well, at least that's normal.

Slap your dick on the table to show dominance, then call him out on it.

Or stfu and keep being a bitch.

>Have you played a game set during a war?
In the same time period, yes, but not directly involved with it.
The Arrow was rather excited to acquire some of the newer firearms developed during the American Civil War.
Even if that meant bribing a nameless Mastigos to bring him one back, as the American Consiliums were NOT happy about any foreign Mages getting involved in their domestic dispute, or even really being there.

When about to roll say "hey do i get any bonus dice? How do i get them? Do i need tits?

Try phrasing them as questions about potential actions before you do them.

Don't shout the guy a beer, then ask the GM for a bonus die.

Ask the GM "hey mate, if I buttered this guy up do you think he'd be more receptive to my Socialize roll?"
If he says no, then casually just ask what kind of stuff he thinks would get you dice. Don't put any tone in it, no accusation, if he asks why just say you're trying to get into the right mind-frame as to understand what kind of factors he likes.

Frame it as you're trying to improve the game through working with him.

If he IS a shitcunt and only giving dice to the chick, then later call him out on it when he doesn't let you have your dice.

>Have you played a game set during a war?
A hunter game set in the trenches during WW1. All the bloodshed, disease, and violence was attracting vampires, ghosts, spirits, and worse.

The allies and the central powers agreed on a covert team to deal with the issue.

You mean making ghosts not attracting right?

Little of both. The sheer amount of death had opened up so many avernian gates some real weird shit had crept out of the underworld.

So rate my game idea. A crossover game between Beast, Promethean, Geist, and a fourth one. All set in a space opera

Has anyone ever used religions other than Christianity as a significant force in their games? Christianity is a staple for vampire games, and sometimes people use a sort of pseudopaganism, but what about, say, Sikhs? Or Muslims?

>crossover
>3 games no one plays
Weak b8, although I think supernatural space opera has potential.
>the moon is always full

I played a Serpent of the Light who worshiped the Loa, but that isn't exactly a religion but it mostly is.

Honestly they look like they could work

Anybody got hold of Building a legend for Beast the primordial yet?

I've run a few games in Australia, and Aboriginal Australian culture/religion has been fairly important.

But really that's because it's pretty much "how to deal with Spirits as a mortal".

>"how to deal with Spirits as a mortal"
With great difficulty.

Not really, prostrate yourself whenever they ask, do what they want, stay away from the areas of powerful ones, and nobody gets hurt.

Well... Somebody gets hurt.

But there was nothing you could do for them.

This all sounds terrible.

It gets worse. Red talons finally convince the Garou Nation of another Impergium. Vamps and woofs might as well be extinct in 5e

...Yeah that really does look mooostly as-expected for Brujah. Maybe just a little more artsy.

That's not correct. All they said in the actual presentation was 'Impergium is back on the table'. Nothing said AWOO WE KILL DA HUMANS! That's someone's speculation/take on it.

fucking red talons the most stupid and retarded of all the woof tribes
any news on my homeboys hunters?

They really fucked up the Ventrue though.

WE have literally nothing on werewolf other than that line.

I was asking about hunters not ww though

The thing is that most people who use Christianity in their WoD games tend to be somewhat familiar with Christianity, whereas islam and whatever the sikh got going on are largely unfamiliar and don't hold any particular interest for most people who play WoD. How would you even fit vampires of oWoD into either one of those to begin with?

I'd fuck that guy on the left, no lie

We have literally nothing about Hunters other than 'there's a Second Inquisition,' explicitly as non-Imbued hunters.

Are you talking about the artwork or the guy sitting in the chair?

... the one with the beanie, or Dracula?

Man, I forgot that the Nos look like Giger paintings a bit now.

Do they? They look like they're just poorly dressed to me.

Mad Batini Terror cells. The idea is that they can encourage Unity by turning everyone else against Islam. Of course, the majority of Batini think this is a fucking horrible idea, because for Unity to last, it can't be a "versus" thing. And I believe the ultimate goal of the Marauders is Division (that's just my take on it.)

Though faking an Alien Invasion might work if it unites Humanity...

I assume they're going to be victims of the "big nothing" that ToJ actually turned out to be.

Or vampires start wearing them as cocksleeves, judging by the character design.

And yes, Red Talons all have the Downs. Given how few wolves are left, they've got to be pretty inbred.

The one in the center has a particularly Giger-esqe headpiece.

>nobody is talking about The Mummy
>literally a high level conspiracy is part of the main plot
>they want to "help" the main character by allowing the mummy's plan to work, by letting a god possess him and them immediately blow him up before he can do anything

Holy shit, the Dark Universe has a lot of potential...

The one in the art.

Rate my character concept

A Hollower who writes bizzaro-fiction novels that satirize various elements of the world of darkness. They're written in such a way that no one who isn't clued in would figure anything out, but are popular in the circles that read bizarre lit.

His most popular work, relatively speaking, is "The Assferatu Chronicles," a series about manipulative, seductive dark lords of the night who suck human excrement out of their victims asses.

Speaking of
I'd fuck the one in the middle here, the art not the photo
And that one as well

I liked that Dr. Jekyll was basically a fishmalk.

>hello im a doctor AND ALSO IM FUCKING EVIL UNLESS I GET THESE INJECTIONS TWICE A DAY so you know that should be a fun roleplaying opportunity

Those are Toreador and Gangrel, FYI.

Feedback requested on these stats for pic related, from Mortis Ghost's OFF.

pastebin.com/1bRKa3iK

I'm not from an abrahamic religious background and it's one of the reasons why I couldn't get into the fluff of masquerade. I simply had no idea about what they were referencing. The other reason of course is that it's fucking stupid.

Yeah, the constant nosebleeds and cheap chav look are just...blegh. There's a reason we've been mocking them from their release.

>All changeling fluff talks about true fae having no sense of right or wrong and being amoral
>still never depicts them in any way other than 'relentlessly cruel psychopaths who never do anything other than evil'
>'oh but sometimes they fuck you so they're not ALL bad'
I mean would it be possible (in a motivation way, not a mechanics way) for a true fae to give his changeling servants access to the hedge/mortal world? Like, if he was certain they would be loyal to his 'cause' and got more pleasure out of watching them interact with a world NOT entirely under his control?

I never liked to define the Gentry as anything. They're not good or bad in my mind.

Just so alien that we by default label them as monstrosities obsessed with living narrative.

That's literally what Loyalists are.
In 2e AFAIK they're Changelings without a Seeming.

You'd think that but they seem to go out of their way to only portray loyalists who are basically just privateers with a gentry fetish. What about a loyalist who goes to goblin markets on his master's behalf or the loyalist who keeps the trods his master favors nice and trimmed?

So at best the mechanics might be better than the steaming pile of shit we normally have to work with but the plots retarded so ignore it.

This is how I Syndicate.
youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

There is a book for it too. Course its for the 1st ed stuff so some things would neef to be homebrew.

What would happen if you used temporal summoning to summon a Mage from before awakening?

Would they be a sleeper for the duration of the spell?

It would cause a time paradox. Followed by a Paradox as the summoned being is indeed a sleeper and want to know what just happened.

not in 2e awakening it wont. and the answer is no "The spell does have limits, however; it cannot bring the
dead back to life or undo transformation into supernatural beings,
though it still changes the subject physically - a vampire returned
to “childhood” becomes a vampiric child," So if you summoned a mage as a child, he'd be a child mage.

do you even read the books. dont comment on shit if you know nothing.

>Players going to very isolated location next game
>Thinking about introducing the Thing as a Nephandus who went Marauder.

On a scale of 1 to "Oh by the One no!" how good of an idea is this and how fucked are my players? Assume it works exactly like it does in the movie.

I want to play Diana. Would she be Thyrsus Silver Ladder?

Who?

That show about the lesbian magic users.

No the other one.

No the other one.

No the other one.

That's it.

After extensive research on google Rule34.

Definitely a Silver Ladder in terms of personality.

She appears to be an Obrimos master of prime with adept understanding of matter, forces, and life and apprentice level skill with time.

Respectable but nothing exceptional in terms of power.

Imperial Mysteries speaks of 'sponsors' looking out for the relative splats. Essentially god-tier beings of similar power (more or less) comparable to Archmages and perhaps Ascendants.

There are given examples for the various gamelines such as Luna for werewolves and the Gentry (Old Gods of the Thistle)for changelings.

Who or what would be the sponsor for vampires? Nothing is mentioned about it.

>Because they hired a shitty avante-garde art director. Everything except the Brujah looks awful, and the Brujah look like fucking hipsters.

it's edgy thematic art you dumb cunt stop judging the whole line based on one image in a slideshow

Archmage of Death. Before he became an Archmage vampires didn't exist, they were just fiction.

He made them real because he thought they were cool.

Imperial Mysteries had a small passage mentioning a rumor that Archmages of Death were responsible for the curse of Vampirism.
Archmages are also powerful enough to create sponsors themselves, having possibly produced the God Machine itself.

Legitimate deities and imperial wizards antagonizing one another over their represented Templates is one of my favorite aspects of the setting in Awakening, scarce though it is.

Gods seem to be jealous/biased regarding their splats for some reason.

My head canon is that Vampire's don't have sponsors. At least not directly.

When The Psychopomp enshrined him/her/itself into the supernal causing the fear of death and fucking up the afterlife/underworld. This hubris crippled the collective soul of humanity. Vampirism is thus the ultimate expression of the fear of death and the beast is the purified expression of humanities mutilation.

You can't delete vampires from reality because it's man that's flawed they're the symptom not the disease.

While I like your theory weren't vampires up and running before Exarchs ascended?

Myself I'm running with a "reverse dog" theory: modern day vampires are effect of multiple species of monsters mixing with each other.

How would you know?

Pre-Fall Earth would have been a much MUCH different place than current times.

Mages were also a lot more powerful back then.

For one, there were no paths.

Were they? I would have to take a look at rules for mages in pangean chapter of dark eras. Or was fall of pangea after exarchs ascended and I'm confusing things?

Dave described Atlantean mages as "mini archmages" having all ten Arcana as Ruling
The Paths did not exist during their height.

One only has to wonder how much more powerful actual archmages were.

I wonder what would replace Paradox dice with overreach?
Your spell exploding with Supernal potential because you're trying to spread your Imago wider than you really know how to?

>One only has to wonder how much more powerful actual archmages were.

Well, they DID storm heaven en masse

And won.

>Your spell exploding with Supernal potential because you're trying to spread your Imago wider than you really know how to?

Overreaching indeed!
Too powerful for your own good.

Weren't there a bunch of lesser Atlanteanesque civilizations as well? Not just the prime example.

Arthurian Britain was mighty magical before Merlin let it play out its fall.

Even if there were, there would be no way to actually know.
The concept of Atlantis was (spottily) removed from reality with the Fall.

Civilizations have blipped out of existence. One of them being Arthurian Britain.
It was a 'just as planned' example of Archmage dickery. Old man Merlin being the culprit.

Only one of these lost civilizations screwed the world entirely enough for the Abyss to form.
The very same culture responsible for constructing the Celestial Ladder and depriving the Supernal of its previous rulers, enthroning themselves as symbols of oppression.

I'm looking forward to at least the Hunger mechanic, and I'm going to try the 'one roll' combat. More info on the one roll combat came out of a playtester, which is essentially an attacker rolls/defender rolls/highest successes do damage or avoid damage. IE: You can defend with Physical + Dodge, OR you can defend with, say, Physical + Melee + Weapon against an attack, and if your successes are more you inflict damage back, in a kind of 'one shot exchange' thing. It's like the old LARP rules, but it's simple and easy to use.

Until they show us something else, that's all we have to judge it on. Hell, the art for the werewolf CRPG, the werewolves are extremely different as well, and all the monsters are shit from Silent Hill or Persona worse (like the giant man-eating vagina monster)

>Until they show us something else, that's all we have to judge it on.

Could try judging the system and metaplot instead, eh?

Okay.
I like the mechanical changes that we've seen so far; the using WP to buy a success OR reroll all failed dice is really cool. I like the Hunger mechanics, and am looking forward to see how different ages/Generations of vampire handle hunger (IE: if a 8th Generation has more spaces for 'hunger' than a 13th Generation). In general, I find the mechanical changes to be worth watching, though I think an offense/defense attribute (reducing to 6) rather than just Physical/Social/Mental might be better.
The metaplot I'm roughly okay with; I'll have to see how some things are executed, but the 'paranoid vampires closing off themselves' and less focus on Elder bullshit is going to be a nice change. I don't like that there was implication that Mages were involved in starting up the Second Inquisition.

Slow morning.

I posted this once before, but I feel it relevant to post again.

teylen.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/v5-playtest-impressions/

More stuff from the playtest.

What splat, if any, are your PCs?

How do I disarm a person and whack them with their own weapon without having to spend a shitton of experience on both melee and brawl? It's pretty stupid that I have to do that.

Any general consensus opinion on enjoyable encounters old versus new WoD. My gf wants to run a campaign and new books didn't really inspire me. Comfort me internet friends.

This book already exists and it's by Carlton Mellick III

nWoD has more intuitive mechanics.
oWoD has a metaplot, instead of just being "daily life of a supernatural critter."

Pangea is after the Exarchs ascended