US GW stores vs UK GW stores

Is it just me, or do people in the US seem to hate GW's stores and staff much more than people in the UK? Is there some kind of difference in the way they're run, am I not seeing the hatred for GW UK, or do us Brits just care less?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/genuinely-unexpected-item-found-in-bagging-area-20160721111161
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ausfag here. Every store I've ever frequented has been run by fuckheads, other than my curent one which is chill as fuck.

Almost everything in the UK is sliggtly worse and less convenient than the US, so Brits have a higher tolerance for poor service and bullshit

As a britbong, I honestly kinda agree here. Our society promotes a higher tolerance for being treated poorly, which obviously has its ups and downs, but in general you'll hear about us complain things a lot, then just get over it until the next bout of complaints.

Oh god trying to buy food at Marks & Spenser's. You have to get in line to get a ticket to go in the other line. There you have to scan your food items in yourself, with the machine barking at you, only the scales on the machine are broken so it freezes up with 'You have remived an item from the counter' and some surly staff has to come in from the other side of the store with a key while he gives you the stink-eye. 'You're not sposed to take things off the counter mate.' 'But I didn't.' 'Ya woteva bruvv just dunndoit again.' Then the cash slot on the machine is broke so you take your items with a printout to the third and slowest counter, where a 20-stone Britwhile slowly, greasily paws your groceries comparing them to the printout.

So yeah, Brits are used to a lot. The hilarious thing, like gut-wrenchingly funny, is that the underclass think all this bureaucracy is something Europe forced on them.

Yeah, said the above as an American who lived in London for a year. Literally every customer experience is worse. Usually just a little worse (restaurants) sometime unacceptably horrible in comparison (banks, nazis breaking into your residence to check that all your electric devices are up to spec).

It was at that point I realized America is still more free than most of the world, and the quality of life is far better even than countries like the UK that are technically first world.

The UK staff are on a tighter leash, and are generally more consistent in their quality.

The US staff have gone a bit feral, so to speak. Because of the large distances involved, they have less direct supervision and thus standards are all over the place.

My local geedubz cater to this fat autist who cries (legit cries) if you use a conversion instead of a box-standard model.

It's uncomfortable.

Soon the US branches will be demanding no taxation without representation.

Nobody gets their full shop in at Markies m8. That's where you went wrong.

Italian here. The stores in my city are always run by decent guys, but they close after about an year and an half and another one pops up a few months later :(

elaborate pls

Ive only been to a couple here in oz but both had really nice staff.

Get the impression that they are drilled to be as friendly as possible or else noone will buy any of the overpriced boxes they sell inside.

You can't post this and not post a story man

I just wish there were more stores in Michigan because I would like to get into those global campaigns. One is in Ann Arbor but that's over a hour away.

easier to steal teeheehee ;3

My local Morrisons is nothing like that.

What on Earth are you even referring to?

That's why you don't shop for food at a clothing store, obviously.

If you didn't keep tripping circuit breakers with your shitty american appliances, they wouldn't have to check your shit. If you actually allowed them in instead of trying the 'AH KNOW MAH RIGHTS' crap, they wouldn't have had to use their key to get into 'your' home to check your shit. Quote marks because you evidently rented.
London is also foreigner containment.

GW staff in the US have to stick to the corporate line, and have the standard US attitude of pushing sales, being dicks to people, and pushing sales,
In the UK, the store is seen as promoting the hobby, not just the profit margin.

My mom went into the one in the mall like 10+ years ago and later complained that the people there were really rude. She was asking about what they sold and said I liked d&d and she wanted to buy me some dice or something. They told her in a snobby way that they don't sell dice. Basically fuck off normie etc.

Which is stupid as fuck because they probably could have tricked her into buying me some of their garbage products.

Last time I went into a British GW a fat sweaty man followed me around the tiny shop asking me if I wanted to buy anything every 30 seconds.

Never went back.

Never seen an M&S like that, also you're an idiot for picking a broken self-serve

If you lived in London you didn't live in the U.K as another poster said London is where we contain all the uppity foreigners and suck all their money out of them. It's quite literally unique as far as citys go here.

Americans hate everyone, especially each other. Why do you think they're so violent?

continue...

London is one part tourist trap, one part LA/NYC-style shithole everyone hates but works there so they tolerate, and one part Muslim ghetto.

It's a lot like Paris in that respect, though without the gyps. Not that the durkas are any better.

There's only one store in Las Vegas, the manager is chill as fuck. The handful of times I've been there he's always really cool. It's a small store, only maybe two tables to play on and them seem mostly for display.

Portland store is really good, especially with new people and long time players. I just got into the hobby and chilled there for an afternoon making gargoyles while the GW guy is painting the nurgle side of the new box set. Had a great time.

Now, be fair.

Every single minority race and creed has their own area in London, not just Muslims.

The other parts, super true. I don't mind visiting London, but I would never want to live there.

Do american stores have painting areas and gaming areas and tables for use?

US has a rabid, insane "customer is always right" culture that makes any foreigner sick to the gut when looking at the poor fuckers abused by the retards that pass for "customers", so it extends to hobby as well.

The fuck are you on about

Southerner

Anyone else here fucking hate niggers?

>one part Muslim ghetto
The muslim ghetto is west london right the way out to Slough. You can see it on the trains when they suddenly swamp it to get into London or all clear out on the way out, or when you're on the M4 and the quality of driving suddenly drops at the Slough junction.

Good sir, Veeky Forums is a website of peace. Take such foul views back to 9gag.

The staff used to be amazing bjut now they treat me likena fucking noob that cant paint without fucking washes.

Its insulting.

GW customers have money to spend, I guess.

Wholeheartedly.

I can't tell if I'm being Poe'd or disappointed, but I'm pretty sure this is drifting away from a Veeky Forums thread.

It fucking disgusts me the way people treat employees here. Nine times out of ten it's not even the poor bastard's fault and some old fat fuck's just chewing some teenager out for not being able to take a decade-old coupon or some shit. I'm really glad the younger generation's moving away from treating people like this though, it's almost always boomers doing this.

Britfag here, the dude in my local GW is great.
I don't want to get him in trouble so I won't give a location but a kid got a fucked Dark Vengeance boxset and just let him keep the old one for the parts in it that were fine and and the new replacement one, and he did some screwing around with vouchers so I'd get the discount on the item I just bought that earned me the voucher.

>a kid got a fucked Dark Vengeance boxset and just let him keep the old one for the parts in it that were fine and and the new replacement one
Common mail order customer service tactic there. Missing one part? Have a whole new kit.

Hell, even supermarkets do that these days. Delivery driver broke half your eggs? Full refund, keep the good ones.

Never been treated badly in a UK GW, In fact never been treated badly in a Euro GW either. Never been to a USA GW so can't comment.
The only bad thing I've got to say about ANY Brit GW store was about a decade ago when I (And I'm an inveterate potty-mouth myself) took a redshirt to one side and told him to watch his mouth because he was swearing to and in front of the children who's game he was overseeing.

That's good to hear, I'm planning on going there but it's a bit of a drive to go all the way to Blue Diamond

>lived in the US and Germany
>never had a bad experience as a customer anywhere
>any unpleasantness was made up for by the staff and I always left happy

I contribute it to my cheery demeanor. Also the reason GW stores aren't as popular in the US, at least where I live, is because they aren't as good as the small FLGS. That's about it. They're nice and all, but just not as good.

Meh. I reduced SEVERAL Gee Dubs staffers to sheer frustrated angst by bringing in my STILL UNASSEMBLED Armorcast Titans (3 Reavers, 4 Warhounds) AND a still sealed RTB01 to win a bet with their manager. :D
None of the above has still EVER seen a lick of paint. In fact the vast majority of my collection, which has cost me over the decades at least the price of a house, has been painted. I've still got 4 Lead Imperial Army Landspeeders. :D And yeah, you read that right. The stickers on the hard plastic packs say Imperial ARMY.
*Tinboy PRIDE!* :D

That's every Brit GW store ever. Right back to the 'hybrid metal/plastic blisters'
ONE plastic Autopistol missing from an Assault Marine blister.
'Here you go sir, here's a replacement blister. Keep the one you've brought back for your Bitz-box.'

You have to tell the story, you're killing me.

I think part of it is that there's more choice in the US. There's a lot higher ratio of FLGS to GW stores in the US, so 9/10 you're not going to have to go straight to GW for your spess marines. Your average FLGS will have more selection, more stuff, and may even have used or OOP stuff lying around. There's not even any price difference between GW and other stores, or if there is, GW likely has the higher one since they never do sales. There's just little reason to ever step foot into a GW store for most people.

Plus, if you don't live in a major metropolitan area, you probably don't even have one near you. The nearest GW store to me is nearly a 2-hour drive.

Self serve is one of the most inconvinient shit ever created.

Dont know about US but German hobby stores are based as fuck. They only come when you need help, they provide advice, generally have pleasant small talk about the hobby and they are very helpfull in general.

When i read stories about US stores they are so grotesque that i cant say with certainty which ones are true and which ones are not.

Yeah, but it's really convenient for the company. They don't have to pay as many cashiers! And what are you going to do about it? Go somewhere else? Too bad, everyone's doing self checkout now.

>GW staff in the US have to stick to the corporate line, and have the standard US attitude of pushing sales, being dicks to people, and pushing sales,
>In the UK, the store is seen as promoting the hobby, not just the profit margin.
My hobby center has never been like that.

Last time I was in london, I saw a fucking gold maserati with L plates drive past.

Then a V-12 lamborghini.

Knightsbridge is fucking weird.

I've been to two different GW stores, one in Raleigh and one in St. Louis. The Raleigh store guy is really nice and is willing to help with all aspects of the games, but it's a tiny store. Three cramped gaming/display tables and 4 seats for painting. The St. Louis store was much larger, but the guy running it was weird. His brother kept calling him and he was getting increasingly mad and saying stuff like "I am at work you can't call me please stop!" and he looked really embarrassed.

When I was in France there was a GW store in Strasburg but I didn't get to go, wish I had.

If it works, it's fine.

If.

UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA

>mfw polite and friendly and never get bad experiences

Genuinely think people act like cocks and complain when they don't get treated like others.

Eh, most boomers treat people like that because they tried to be nice to employees when they were younger and got walked on because of it.

Look at McDonald's. Every other time you go through they're asking you to pull over to the side and because "We're just waiting on your fries." After the tenth time you sit fifteen minutes while car after car gets served you tell them to go fuck themselves and their franchise SLAs.

90% of people "being unreasonable" is "corporate policy dictates we treat people like shit while acting like we're being nice."

Should have tried shooting the automatic till and cashier a few times, maybe that would have worked.

Not if you don't want to wait in line or talk to anyone.

If you're grabbing a single item and just want to GTFO, it's fine.

Sorry Anons, I was in the passing a mediocre quiche at my in-laws place when I left that first tale of the fat autist and the pistol whipped geedubs staff.

In short, there is a fat autist who attends my local Geedubs called Lewis.

Fucking Lewis.

He's obese, he reeks, and most distractingly of all, he's got one lazy eye that never ever fucking focuses. I mean this fucking thing just rolls around - He'll be looking at someone with one eye and the other will be spying the boxes on the walls.

Normally my GW is a chill place to paint, test army lists, and the staff are pretty sound. However, on Thursday nights, they run the Wargames night where competitions take place, and that's where Lewis comes in.

He runs Space Marines, can't play them for shit, and tears start blubbing up in his ducts whenever he loses a unit or a vehicle, and he bawls like a manchild when he inevitably loses.

This is nothing compared to the meltdowns he has if you use a conversion or the likes. He goes full autist, literally REEEEs and stamps his feet until the staff calm him down until his mother comes to get him.

Oh, and his mother. Fuck his mother. She's threatened to go to our GW employees higher ups on the grounds of bullying.

Bear in mind this is the fat fuck who's thrown a Rhino at an opponent when he put AdMech Magos with really cool spider legs on the field.

So yeah, fucking Lewis has to have everything catered to him and so casual gaming nights are dying. I haven't been in months.

Fucking Lewis.

Of course it's not, Morrisons is worse

ex morrisons staff here. Can confirm that I hated every single one of the bastards who came though the front door.

How old is he?

Looks mid twenties. His gullet has unshaven fuzz.

>:D
>:D
>*Tinboy PRIDE!* :D

That's pretty fucked man. You ever try moving the game night to a different night and just not telling him? Might throw him for a loop for a couple weeks. Typically tards like that break down when their routine's broken. I've got a cousin with down syndrome and he absolutely cannot do his morning routine out of order. Made the one camping trip I went on with his family a living hell.

We've taken to traditional beer and pretzel nights at my friends place, we just use his pool table for the miniatures. Works pretty fucking well.

We did consider asking the brass at our store to change the night, but apparently they'd need to update the leaflets, the posters, and actually inform the autard if it did change.

The staff at mine are always helpful.

And they know 95% of problems with the self service tills are the machines fault like anybody who has actually worked with the stupid things does.

Ah, damn. Well at least you found your own way around him.

I know it's common with other stores but he said it was against GW's policy as he was supposed to take the damaged kit and dispose of it.

Mine does

Well, it's disposed of! Into the kid's hands. Does it matter where the garbage goes, as long as it's gone?

My store in the U.S. is fine. It's run by a really chill dude who knows his fluff and rules really well.

Only problem is it's overrun by like 12-15 year olds like half the time for some reason.

Entitled boomers everywhere support your efforts in carrying water for them.

there is a GW in Rochester MI, just off M59. Dude's pretty cool.

I live in Hippie Hell, so whenever I worked I never got shit from customers. I'm also a decent-looking white guy, so...
The only time I got yelled at while at my FLGS was for looking at one of the books without buying it, because the owner was tired of people doing that apparently. I have a habit of doing that, so I apologized once I realized he was mad and I'm pretty sure we cool now.

Where are you now , Melbourne by any chance ?

Looking at the books without paying is the worst mistake I ever made. Dude was seething.

thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/genuinely-unexpected-item-found-in-bagging-area-20160721111161

Rather have any of those instead of polish GW stores (pic related)

>Using exploding dice to roll for loot

I haven't worked at my FLGS for a few years now, but there is definitely something frustrating about people who just come in, mull about for 15 minutes, handle stuff and then leave without spending.

Having said that, dude was way out of line for doing that-unless you were straight up taking photos of pages with your phone or something there's nothing against customers investigating something that they might wind up buying.

I don't understand these people. I would be way too self conscious to show up to an event if I thought the people there disliked me.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a US GW store.

The GW store in Houston is top tier. Excellent staff.

I'm assuming the guy he's describing is too socially retarded to be aware of how much people despise him

>pic related
>no pic
?
What's wrong checking stuff and killing free time with stuff you like?

I can't comment, as a USfag I've only ever been in third party LGS stores, never an official GW run place. And I've never been to the UK either so I don't have any frame of reference even for what might be different.

>if you would have willingly let them invade your home, they wouldn't have had to do it anyway

Nice of your government to let you keep a modeling knife.

>no pic

I think that's the joke m8

GW is now a public company. It was in their 2012 or 13 or something board release--the way they run stores in the USA. Open a store with multiple employees. Saturate local market. Cut staff to one person. Wait for internet sales. Close store.

It's a scorched-Earth policy. They burn the emloyees and the people who play at them. And they do it on purpose.

I'm sure there's one or two at least

US here my LGS is a GW because the store manager is the best