How viable is it to have the entire party be of the same class?

How viable is it to have the entire party be of the same class?

Depends on the game.

In Legends of the Wulin it can work fine. You might lack some of the depth of Secret Art options, but there's plenty of other things to create variety between the characters.

It depends on the class and game. Fluffwise I would say it's always viable. Even in systems with a very low level of in-class variety the personalities of the characters can be totally different, and even if the abilities all stack up the same they can be using different weapons and armor etc.

It's hardest in class sytems where class diversity is assumed in how the game is balanced.

God Tier
>Paladin
>Cleric
>Bard

Good Tier
>Druid

Meh Tier
>Fighter
>Barbarian
>Rogue
>Monk

Low Tier
>Sorcerer

Shit Tier
>Wizard
>Warlock

>meaningless statement independent of game or system
Sure is braindead D&D players in here.

Who actually needs classes to labelbox characters?

>ywn play the All-Paladin Party formed when all lawful good gods sent their finest paladins together to defeat The Great Evil
>ywn bicker about whose god is more good and more lawful
>ywn enjoy friendly interfaith banter while smiting evil

Although they're not necessary, there are mechanical advantages to class based systems. In a system where everything is available to everyone, you're restricted in what mechanics you can play with as everything needs to be compatible with everything else.

Classes, or even pseudo-classes, let you make certain options mutually exclusive, allowing you to experiment and play with mechanics that wouldn't work well with the rest of the system without those limitations.

All single class party names that your group can stylize yourself as.

All paladins=Crusader party.
All rogues=Thieves guild.
All druids=Druid circle
All clerics=Missionary team
All rangers=Merry men
All warlocks=Dark coven.
All fighters=Mercenary band
All sorcerers=Wild ones.
All wizards=Arcane school.
All monks=Flying fists.

That's all I got. Clearly Veeky Forums and OP cannot top my list.

>All rogues=Toy Boy harem
>All clerics=MGTOW
>All rangers=Brokeback Mountain
>All fighters=Don't talk just kiss

all guardmen party

>An entire Bard party
>We call it "The Band"

You know very well they're talking about either 3.PF or 5e, wiseass. They always do. You're not making yourself look any smart pointing it out.

It still matters which one it is. An all-cleric party is devastating in 3.5 but only mediocre in 5e.

All Bards: Traveling band

> That pic
I'm happy to see it used.

Depends on the class. If it's cleric or druids, pretty fucking OP

Sorcs/wizards, op once they get some levels

Everyone else fucked

In most cases? Not viable at all but it makes for some grade A shenanigans

Works fine most times.
Unless class is heavily specialized and has no generation/development options

Is traveling minstrels

I've ran a campaign once (in my school days - AD&D 2nd edition days) where the PCs were four male human paladins who spent most of their time trying to one-up each other in heroism, selflessness, nobility, white knighting and general derring-do. We've had a blast.

There were some homoerotic undertones (the players were all teenage girls after all) but we managed to keep them contained.

Can be really fun, might have to find some hirelings to pad things out.

Source on pic?

Easier to create/advance character. Too much choice can confuse new players and make it harder to balance the system.

>Depends on the game.
this

If you're actually role-playing, this might work wonders as it (hopefully) encourages the characters to develop personalities. Otherwise you'd have a party of clones.

Not very.

Good time for a classic?

From fluff/roleplaying point? Can be pretty damn fun and interesting, especially if the players can still create characters with distinct personalities and different approaches to the same class.
From crunch/effectiveness point? Heavily depends on the class in question. Can be either almost useless or unexpectedly overpowered.

So pretty much just Only War campaign?

>space pirates that low
Eat shit

>All clric party in 3.5
TIME FOR DIVINE METAMAGIC! AND YELLING AT EACH OTHER ABOUT OUR GODS.

Source?

Pride, envy, greed, gluttony, lust, wrath and sloth all in a neat row. Without knowing the context of the OP pic I can't help but think that's intentional.

Shit that didn't happen.txt

The last one seem kind of far-fetched, but otherwise yeah, that's definitely what the author was aiming at.

What about that story is unbelievable?

>kiss the ring
I can believe that the church was chock full of homosexuals.

"7 missionnaires", a french comic

Have you actually watched that shit?
I have. That's a fair assessment.

I chuckled

People having fun.

Fuck yourself. Space Pirates is great.

Whoever made this is a plebeian with gutter tastes.

Where's Red Dwarf?

>Voyager somehow several tiers better than anything at all
>Voyager better than Andromeda, Lexx and Mouretsu Pirates

Paladins go questing. Clerics go crusading.

A group of warlocks is a school.
A group of wizards is a war.

Plenty, but you might need to tweak the how you play the game itself to make it fit.

Which is honestly the best reason to do it.

>Profits
>Not prophets

Depends on the system

5e
Druids, Paladins or Clerics could probably get away with it reliably.

Other people even watched Mouretsu Pirates?

I've never seen anyone talk about it.

Yes. We need to make some new, modern ones.

>girls existing

Reminds me of that one AllBarbarianParty-Storytime.
It was Dark Heresy. Guardsmen style.

>Raumpatroullie Orion that low.
Do you even like fun trash?

It's an entire series of threads here on Veeky Forums, look it up.

In FFG's Star Wars RPG, it's pretty much RECOMMENDED to make an all-pilot party if you wanna have a ship-focused campaign.

Not the guy you're replying to- I've never seen it but I have the soundtrack for some reason, I think I got it from a music thread on /m/.

>Entire Paladin party.
>"Tis a Crusade!"
I love my group.

>The Joke

>Your Head

>Dying paladin entrusts all barbarian party with safeguarding the Book of Evil Dark Bad due to the fact that none of them know how to read.

Allow me to explain why an All Cleric party is one of the most powerful single class parties.
>DM rolls for encounter
>we /DeadlyEncounter/
>Cleric casts guiding bolt
>4d6 damage
>Level 1 Spell
>almost one shots the enemy
>it fucking pussies out and fucks off
Now imagine an entire party of clerics casting guiding bolt.
Cleric is best class

Forget starting in an inn. We start in a prison.

"We're getting the Band back together again."

>All psyker party.

>A group of wizards is a war.
nice reference dude

Depends a lot on the system. Generally though, I'd say it works a lot better when there are options within it for multiclassing or mixing with other things so that people have more mechanical ways to set themselves apart.

For example, if you were playing 2e D&D, a party of all Fighters could give the party a strong unifying theme as trained soldiers, but if on top of that you broaden is so you have rangers, paladins, fighter/wizards, fighter/rogues, and fighter/clerics as options, then that'll give everyone a bit more breathing room when it comes to not stepping on toes.

4e is the only edition of D&D where I think it wouldn't really work, and that's more a matter of the fact that classes are tied to roles. However, it can also get the same effect by having everyone be the same power source instead, either Arcane or Primal or whatever.

>Legend of Galactic Heroes not on there are all
I assume it's in the Elder God Tier, and was cropped out of the image?

All barbarians=Screaming horde

That spoiler. I couldn't agree any harder with a post.

They bring Cripple Creek wherever they go.

Yes. It's why I like Dark Heresy 2e so much. You can have a bunch of characters with all the same background, and there's still plenty of room for build diversity.

Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free...

All problems can be solved by applying the fighter.
>Monsters want to eat you.
Fighter.
>A nobleman acuses you of a heinous crime.
Fighter.
>You need to tell the punchline of a joke with no set up.
Fighter, I hardly know 'er!

I played all paladin and all bard games in 4e by just hybriding

Is there good online source?

>all monks
>not Harmonious Fists

Man, I think all-fighter party sounds cool
>be a mercenary band
>hired to fight a party of spell-swords, clerics, wizards and other fancy, magicky people
>Strategy and Tactics vs Magic

With UA classes you could pull off party of warlock - you got a healer with undying light, a spell sword with hexblade and all the usuals can make for some nice "faces"

Not any of the other anons, but i'm sharing this anons opinion >has anime in his list, doesn't mention Planetes or battleship Yamato
>mfw

Sloth is not a very good word for that sin. It's apathy and indifference, lack of faith that God is good and world is good.

I think it was originaly called "acedia".

Folks keep spouting "not viable" or "it'll be underpowered". I think everyone is forgetting that if you, as GM, know that your players are making a party of all the same class, then you cater your game to that. It's not a video game: you can make it so that any all-class party is viable.

They're right in that it very much depends on the system, both in terms of balance and in terms of design ideas.

Some systems just aren't built for single class parties, and others will only work if you choose certain classes. While a GM might be able to force it, it'd just be a crappy idea as you'd be forced to work against the system, rather than with it.

Here's the greentext for the All Barbarian Campaign. All Monk adventure is next

>God Tier
>Paladin & Cleric
heh

>cutting off the quote from the noodle shop owner

Depends on the game, the class and the kind of campaign you're planning. If you're going to run a dungeoncrawl using OD&D/OSR with nothing but Thieves, that probably won't work too well. An all-vigilante urban campaign in Pathfinder, on the other hand, will probably work about as well as you can expect an urban campaign to work in Pathfinder(in fact, between archetypes, magic items, feats, etc. there's enough customization that you can probably run an "all x" campaign in Pathfinder regardless of the value of x as long as the campaign is somewhat appropriate for the class, although some classes obviously work better).

I was the go-to game master in my circle of friends (mostly running D&D, VtM, Warhammer Fantasy, Earthdawn, and shitty homebrews) and my classmate's sister sometimes played with us. She told her friends about it, asked me if I would run some games for them, and I did. It was an all-girl group and I ran three or four campaigns with them over the course of something like three years.

We're talking ages 15-17 here (14-16 for the girls who were all a year younger than me) and no I did not have sex or any sort of romantic relationship with any of them.

I got around in general, at peak (aged ~16) I'd often run four sessions a week with different groups.

Good times.

t. 34 year old grandpa

That has to be the beefiest elf I've ever seen

>cowboy bebop
>no space dandy
for shame.

It only works if you got about a dozen people. Even then, the party face will probably get killed.

Do they fug?

10/10 would play

more importantly, do THEY fug?

can we make this a thing?

depends both on the system and the GM/Table's willingness to refluff things. There are the obvious games where it blatantly just does work (3.PF all cleric) but if you're cool with refluff, I've been in a 4e game where every member of the party was a "swordmage" (literal swordmage, hexblade warlock fluffed as a swordmage, and a melee bard fluffed as a swordmage) and we were graduates of the same academy, and were traveling to master our art together.

Pathfinder Oracles can do literally anything in the game, including trapbusting. They're the best healers in the game only bar multiclass Oracle/Paladins, they have tricks to grab literally any spell if set up for it, they can make really strong melee setups, they can buff themselves and each other to infinity, AND they can be perfectly good controllers/blasters. Aside from top tier archers, oracles can be designed to fulfill literally any role competently.

The only downside would be inevitable catfight resulting from the constant beauty contest that is a full party of full Charisma casters.