Hello Veeky Forums. It's my first time posting here, so be gentle...

Hello Veeky Forums. It's my first time posting here, so be gentle. I was wondering if any of you guys have played Numenera before and what you think about it. I recently picked up the corebook and a couple of the additional books. I've ran a couple of the preset modules in the corebook, as well as written a couple of my own. My group has been liking it a lot. I was wondering if anybody had any cool stories or characters or experiences with the game that they could share.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5moTe37jUAhUQ72MKHZpqADMQFggoMAA&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149879/Japanese-man-22-cooks-genitals-serves-paying-dinner-party-guests.html&usg=AFQjCNHiY4BGQ9pxEn5fh2GpXvXp0GwpKg&sig2=71Q_-zDUweIVumXl_eqmyw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>It's my first time posting here
No it's not
>I was wondering if any of you guys have played Numenera before and what you think about it.
No, you weren't.
>recently picked up the corebook and a couple of the additional books.
Yes, I've perused Da Archive as well.
>I've ran a couple of the preset modules in the corebook
No, you haven't.
>as well aswritten a couple of my own.
I regularly use the toilet as well fampai, don't brag about it.
>Group has been liking it a lot.
No, your mother just said she thought it was cool because she has no idea what to make of your sperg-rants, and is just happy it keeps you busy and away from the rest of her life.
>I was wondering if anybody had any cool stories or characters or experiences with the game that they could share.
No. Setting is mildly interesting, system had many good ideas but ultimately fails in its execution. End of thread.

Please, just TRY to be original in your baiting. Take some goddamn pride in your work and put some effort into it, don't just spam the same thread over and over again because it gets replies. Look at me. People HATE me, but you know what? It's hate for something new or at least not half-spammed across the board every week for the past three years. That's also why I have a few "supporters."

Look, if you'll admit that this thread is just spam I'll be happy to give you some real advice on quality baiting.

It's a fiery topic here. I think the consensus seems to be that the high concept is good but people have issues with the execution. That and some fanatics raving about Monte Cook eating chopped dicks; it's some Alex Jones shit. I have no idea.

Anyways, the actual setting hews too closely to straightforward D&D stuff for my tastes and while I see why they did that, I think they could have gone a little more exotic. The game I ran toned down the combat and focused on player investigation of the esoteric mysteries. I revamped a bit of the societal structures (the pseudo-feudal Europe stuff makes no sense here IMO) and drew a bit on a couple different aspects of Earth's history; for instance, I basically ran the Order of Truth as Pythagoreans on steroids rather than a black hat Catholic Church. Came out sort of Carl Sagan meets Phantasy Star. I really liked it, but I think the sandbox thing was hard for our group and I probably should have provided more direction, and people got frustrated at their characters' limited understanding. Not to mention, I think it was a big jump in mindset from Shadowrun.

So, mixed reviews from my personal group. Can't say much about the system either way. Cool concept, but I think it could use refinement.

>Wayne

Oh, I didn't even realize it was a hot button. I didn't know this board existed until someone told me I should ask about the game here, but I guess they were just setting me up to get flamed.

It seemed like a sci-fi fantasy take on D&D, which is the only other TTRPG I've played so I guess I didn't really mind. I'm not a seasoned RPer or anything, I was just looking for some experiences to draw inspiration from.

I agree with you, I thought the whole Amber Priests and whatnot felt a little strange to me in a sci-fi fantasy setting, so I purposely haven't used them in any of the sessions yet. I do absolutely love Phantasy Star though, your rendition sounds like something I would dig.

Thanks for not being an asshat.

>D&D, which is the only other TTRPG I've played
Well, that's the problem right there.

autism

penis eater game

Gotta start somewhere. I'm new to this sort of thing. I pretty much just read down a list of games and picked one that sounded interesting. I got recommended Call of Cthulhu because I like the idea of players becoming progressively more doomed, but Lovecraft bores me to tears so I avoided it.

You must be 18 to post here

Are you asking for recommendations or do you just want to say "I play D&D. Deal with it"?

Yes. Deliberately so.

Numanera is not a good system, so it's kind of a hindrance to play with. Good on you for making it work for your group.

I only tried it as a player once, the mechanics threw us all off. The GM detailed an area outside of the steadfast for us to explore, which he did pretty well.
Later, I've read every section of the book and I feel like the mechanics and the fluff both suck.

Agreed, shit game mechanics, TERRIBLE writing, 1/10 maybe if you are really bored and love reading bad RPGs just to laugh at them.

>namefag
>I have a few "supporters."
kys, cuck

Wayne I'd like to dislike you but you can't stop being on point.

Obligatory "I tried to kill myself, it ruined Autoerotic Asphyxiation for me post." Also, Case in point.

Thank you.

Oh, forgot to say that I'm not the one into Cuckoldry. Tristan, my Trap, is though.

We don't hate you, you are just a passing mild annoyance that will run out of steam once you properly grasp the crushing indifference of the masses

lol tfw you filter another namefag

Oh, I already did that. Tried to contribute to the board, make Veeky Forums great again by marching on the pessimistic attitude everyone has, started a few major projects... turns out I was just leading on a bunch of sheep who scatter as soon as I disappeared.

So, I decided to make a mockery of Veeky Forums... by making a mockery of myself. It's Fucking hilarious. I call myself an idiot. People laugh. I say I'm an absolute retard and people nod and smile like they're in on the joke. The joke is that I say exactly what I'm going to do... and I do it. I say Hey, look at me, I'm annoying, and people accuse me of being an egotist... by replying and telling me that they're annoyed. This whole shtick depends on you faithful idiots being attentive to me for the punchline to work... and it NEVER FAILS.

Do you see? Do you see it? I play the jester, you all play the straight man, and you're so goddamn predictable that I can use you as my platform every time.

Now I've really hit it big!

Your samefaggotry is so lazy and uninspired, I'm inclined to believe it's an extra layer of bait in a 5d chess game of trolling.

>Lovecraft bores me to tears so I avoided it.
get out

That wasn't me, autist.

Just remember, there's a little bit of Wayne in all of us. But actually, I don't Samefag. It really wouldn't be honest, and would subvert my comedic integrity. If I'm going to make it big and annoying on here, I'm gonna do it without cheating.

Though this is all moot when I know there's no way you'll believe me, so let's just go with the 5d chess game. It sounds more cleverer.

Dude, if you're gonna be Wayne, do it right. I've never used autistic as an insult, except at myself. It's too easy. Instead do a long-winded rant.

I prefer pathfinder due to its balance, realism and respect for the lgbt community.

And I said in that thread previously, 5e is better because it's a system that most players get bored of after a major campaign, and it creates less harmful habits in roleplayers when they move on to better systems.

Pathfinder, on the other hand, as well as 3.5, is famous for ruining an entire generation of roleplayers, and has an almost fanatical following with fans that will, foolishly, support it tooth and nail.

>I've never used autistic as an insult, except at myself. It's too easy. Instead do a long-winded rant.

Actually, I use autistic as an insult all the time, and if you paid closer attention to my posts before you imitated me, you would see that I even included a reference to aspergers as in insult in my first post.

It's okay though, I am truly flattered that you would take the time to imitate me. Once again, I am turning you all into a punchline, and you play right into it.

Also, some of my posts are not long-winded rants, but instead, expertly crafted one-liners.

Your lack of attention to detail is sad, but again, I am flattered that someone would try so hard to imitate me.

Well, I used Sperg as a verb, not a mental classification.

And while I know I'm flattered, I'm also flattered, so thank you.

I ran a mini campaign once. Players had a lot of fun, they created really complex characters- even "that guy" who always plays a drow with two katanas. Party had some genuine sociodynamics- banter, quarrels, moral and philosophical disscusions. Lots of really nice role playing when they had to choose, and they had a lot of dilemas to solve. Basically- what are the limits of exploration? When you have to stop? Maybe there are some secrets you really dont want to discover?
Combat is best avoided as it really drains characters from ability pools. So fights are "all or nothing" and this adds a lot of drama as no encounter is some random monsters to bash. Because no fight awards XP, players tend to work around classic combat as this way they spend less resources. So basically this awards player invention and imagination. Also it feels more realistic from moral point of view.
Numenera works good for people that played a lot of rpgs. and are not afraid to introduce new concepts. Its world is an interesting setting that allows for a lot of creativity and strange ideas as you can justify basically everything.
GMing Numenera can be hard as You have to prepare really well and be able to improvise at once. As games focus on exploration and enigmas,
GM is required to invent a really good story and setting to make it interesting, not predicatble and bland. Also GM has to fill the world with details to help Players' interaction with the surroundings.
As for the book and all the additional products. That is just food for thought, meat for imagination. What written in there can push you in right direction and help GM Numenera games. But I dont think they are necessary if You have previous experience and good players. I personally use pdf's if I need to.

try again pls

damn, this attention whoring is real

Personally, I really like how weird you can make a party of characters, especially if you mix in suitable stuff from The Strange.

You could easily have a cyborg biorobot fighter, a fashionable space-cyborg rogue, a scout-drone wizard, and a social-focused elf Iron Man teaming up to explore the wilderness and fight crime.

Go home Virt

Fuck off penis eater

"Wayne" I have no idea who you are or what you are and I've never played Numenara but frankly I think myself and many of those watching and lurking are simply hoping you'll fuck off. The fact that you brag about supporters on a Ghanian bag weaving board fills me with loathing.

Please kill yourself you fat disgusting cockroach.

We all start somewhere, man. If you're jumping over from D&D, I mean, that's probably why they set it up that way. Use the things you like and discard the things you don't.

Veeky Forums has its hotheads like anywhere else, but don't get me wrong, I wouldn't come here if there wasn't at least passing attempts at discussion and thinking. This isn't /v/.

Anyways, glad to help, man. I hope your campaign is fun.

You're living a lie.

terrible game, worse thread

this fucking thread
Is it so hard to not feed the fucking trolls?

Great. Another Numenera thread ruined by rabid braindead roll-play zombies.

1/10 Nu Men Era is literally designed around roll play but I did reply so you get 1 point.

Get a job, man.

I dont feel like reading right now. Can you describe the basics of the system?

I think its more of a role play, than roll play

You spend dice in order to play your role. That's the definition of rollplay.

you dont need to spend anything in order to role play you just open your mouth and speak

You know exactly what I mean, fuck off penis eater defense force

oh no, you are out of arguments so you go ad persona
i expected more, at least some clever troll play
that is just rock bottom

>literally cannot defend the terrible mechanics of this shit game
penile cannibals gonna chew cocks I guess

i dont need to follow mechanics step by step to have fun
first rule: if you dont liek the rules change them
story is more important than any rule
every system in every game is flawed as only full simulation could be a realistic experience

>still literally cannot defend the terrible mechanics of this shit game
>mouth full of rubbery slices of jap cock

i dont want ot defend any mechanics of any game
it is not the mechanics that make a game
it is people, interaction and thus story you get
but how could you know it?

yum yum dericious nippon penis slices

i pity the fool who never played a single game in his life but talks about games as he knew anything
i am impervious to your offensive language btw

lol snip snip monte licks slices of nip

i hope you will awaken someday
right now it seems like some kind of stupor
maybe try and add at least one meaningful argument to discussion?

monte cook was fired from wotc for paying a japanese "artist" to feed him slices of his own penis

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5moTe37jUAhUQ72MKHZpqADMQFggoMAA&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149879/Japanese-man-22-cooks-genitals-serves-paying-dinner-party-guests.html&usg=AFQjCNHiY4BGQ9pxEn5fh2GpXvXp0GwpKg&sig2=71Q_-zDUweIVumXl_eqmyw

and this fact somehow should make me reconsider my whole approach to gaming?

nope just sayin'

so no real arguments at all

You should know that "tg doesn't care" aka Veeky Forums is going to mutt on and on about everything. Killing every discussion a million times.

Good god, has the art of trolling been lost to time? Or has it devolved to the point of sperging gangbang full of autisric screeching? I feel like whole board has been taken hostage by a band of terroristic imbeciles that will just shitstorm each thread they dont like. Fucking aholes.

Namefag posting aside, I think this post here kind of demonstrates a problem I've been noticing with Veeky Forums lately, especially in story threads. I think people here are really becoming obsessed with the idea of "outing the That Guy" to a point where they just start contradicting things in stories. I don't know if they do it to appear smart, or if it's Veeky Forums trolling, or if people really have that low of IQ here, but it's alarming.

The obsession is almost getting as bad as /v/'s obsession with the TORtanic.

the problem I notice is paranoid approach to every new content or question, people spy a troll everywhere so they take precautions, too much of precautions

other thing is people like Wayno here, so miserable that they will do anything for a couple of replies or any attention at all; real misunderstanding of what board is supposed to be

That's not the point, Numenara threads just had way too many "problems" and prompts like OP, people just question every last one of them as being legitimate now

Aren't you just rationalizing paranoia?

he is

Kek, get a life.