ITT things that make you sad or disappointed in RPGs

>When you crit with a x3 weapon and hit really good damage, only for it to be negated by concealment or some other bullshit defense

>When the entire session is wasted on some stupid bullshit, like two PCs fighting over who gets the magic item
We only play for a few hours each week, and it keeps happening.

>When your friend refuses to have anything to do with any sort of mythology or fantasy that's not explicitly european.

Fuck man, expand your horizons.

>When your friend dismisses ANYTHING Asiatic as "weeaboo"

You know who you are, you drek peddler

What if I don't want to play as a negro or an indian?

Then play an european merchant or tourist out in a new strange land. It's not that hard.

Trust me, it goes beyond that. When I pointed out that ghouls were originally from Arabic folklore, he immediately stopped using them and dismissed them as "dumb bullshit."

I am very tempted to change an upcoming campaign's setting to an middle eastern/asian sort of thing/

>I am very tempted to change an upcoming campaign's setting to an middle eastern/asian sort of thing/
Be sure to make it a surprise. Have it look like your average medieval Europe setting, then suddenly pull the rug in the final session and reveal the party was in Japan all along.

Take a picture of his face and post it here.

When you prepare a really decent session only to have one of your players suicide opening a gate to hell because he didn't want to miss any pre-e3 coverage

>expand your horizons
No fuck you

>When I pointed out that ghouls were originally from Arabic folklore
Really? Slavic folklore has creatures very like DnD ghouls, though they are not called that.

>play as imperialist
>the entire table gets triggered
Well done.

The arabic ghouls have little to nothing to do with the D&D ghouls, even if they're mostly named the same.

>Read up on setting.
>Generic place hogs all the space.
>Every potentially interesting location has only three lines.

It's really shitty that you can't run cool Arabian Fantasy anymore. You either get tards shrieking /pol/ if you show it as anything other then a utopian paradise or people spamming explosion / terrorism memes the whole time.
That's if you can even get a group together for it at all, seeing as how the better part of the last 20 years has turned people off to the whole region.

Well it's hard to get a favorable opinion on the religion when its practitioners are blowing up buildings, driving trucks through populated areas, and forming rape gangs that turn whole city blocks into "No-Go" Zones while the media pretends that there isn't a problem.

I'm just saying, not all Arabics are necessarily bad people, but they also don't shed any tears when terrorists kill innocent people who don't share their faith...so what are you supposed to do but assume the worst?

>inb4 YOU GOTTA GO BACK TO /pol/
I have no intentions of turning this into a
>376 posts/115 images omitted
argument, I'm just explaining why people have been turned off to the whole region as of late.

You're not wrong, but it's to the point where you can't even fuck around in a Disney's Aladdin-tier setting without getting memed on.

I just want to play a plucky street rat with a scimitar instead of getting buried under a deluge of 'dude, where's my suicide vest?'

>I'm just explaining
We all fucking get it and you know that.

You're just trying to make yourself look smart while outright telling us to not dispute you. Fuck off.

>We're going to play a more "theater of the mind" campaign with a focus on narrative.

>inb4 POWER-GAMING PIECE OF FILTH GO HOME AND STAY GO REEEEEEEEEEEE!
I've been in a few campaigns with a lot of pseudo-writers at my local college and after the first half-dozen attempts at finding in a good narrative focused campaign, I just got turned off to the whole concept and would much rather deal with more mechanical systems in the meantime.

God, I could write a book on the shit I had to deal with.

European styled fantasy never includes Christianity, why would a Middle Eastern one need Islam? Just use the Paganism of the region or Zoroastrianism.

I do something like that, basically because I cant be assed to deal with a grid-mat. I have a big sheet of laminated-nothing that I put over the table for people to draw on. We use rules, but I only use maps and stuff in combat when its necessary.

I just don't want the thread to get derailed by people thinking that what I said was meant in a malevolent way while going on about how the Arabian people are all actually very nice people when you stop to get to know them.

Even if you do that, people are still going to associate middle eastern themes with Islam in the same way that European styled fantasy still makes reference to the crusades.

It's just an inescapable black hole that surrounds the setting and it's too deeply entrenched in the zeitgeist to get people to break the association, especially since some countries are still dealing with terrorism today unfortunately.

I'm on the other side of the fence there. I'd love to be able to run a Witcher tier Arabian Dark Fantasy game without getting waves of "Why do you hate brown people /pol/!? Reeeeeee!"
Djinn, Ghuls, Dybukks. Spooky magic. Some really impressive environments. There's stuff in the folklore that would be awesome for that kind of campaign.

>it's blatantly obvious the developer(s) heavily favoured one set of options over all the others
>the favourite options have more fluff, deeper mechanics, and a much larger portion of the rulebook dedicated to them
>the other options are poorly balanced and are footnotes at worst

I'm so fucking tired of caster supremacy. I'm so tired. I feel tired in my soul.

2 paradoxical things.
>When a climatic encounter ends in 2 turns because of really good or really bad rolls.
>When the GM gets butthurt you're doing too well in a fight and either negates your miracle crit or goes "lol no you die anyway"

>forming rape gangs that turn whole city blocks into "No-Go" Zones while the media pretends that there isn't a problem.

>>When the GM gets butthurt you're doing too well in a fight and either negates your miracle crit or goes "lol no you die anyway"

>"man we're kicking this thing's ass, good thing our clever trap worked"
>"THEN A SECOND ONE SWOOPS IN AND ATTACKS"
Can't let us have even one victory, huh.

I once survived the GMs total BS trap, due to him rolling 1s on like 15 of the dice, only to have him go "No that's stupid you can't survive that, you die anyway."

Christ, what an asshole.

Still fucking salty about that too. Campaign was great up until that point and the whole deal imploded after that.

What really sucks is that often, even if you do that without the complaints about race hating you get accusations of "cultural appropriation" from the other side.

>Wanted to run a modern supernatural horror game in the Appalachians, filled with backwood cults, fearsome critters, devil's at the crossroads, and the like.
>Group declines because they say they don't know enough about the region.
>Somebody else suggest similar idea, but in Tokyo.
>Everybody jumps on board, despite knowing little other than from what they see in anime.
>We live in Virginia.

It was a fun game after all, but that still frustrates me.

>it's a "Veeky Forums games with unsalvageable fuckwits" episode
>yet again

>I'm so fucking tired of caster supremacy. I'm so tired. I feel tired in my soul.

>Running a 5 year long campaign. Everyone is fully invested. Long character-focused arcs, deep inter-party development, awesome climactic action that feels earned.
>One player starts phoning it in, on his laptop/phone the whole game. Tried to talk to him about it, he refuses to admit there's a problem, tension builds in the group.
>Haven't played in 3 months.

I'd just boot him and move on with life, but the other players feel that continuing without him would make the whole thing crumble, and I don't think they're wrong.
The PCs are so tight and have so much history that losing one of them suddenly would throw off the whole dynamic.

>be contrarian
>read up on setting
>actual setting hogs all the space
>consider every faraway three-line location added for color potentially interesting instead out of pure contrarianism
>but would not like those either if they were fully realized settings because then they would have recognizable elements too
>complain on internet
FTFY

game is better than no game

>but they also don't shed any tears when terrorists kill innocent people who don't share their faith

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument either, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you believe this. (That, plus referring to them as "Arabics"). Muslims aren't all secretly rubbing their hands together every time a terrorist attack happens, as the majority of them are actual human beings capable of empathy. And besides, ISIS and other terrorist organizations hurt many more Muslims in their own countries than they do people of other faiths in other countries.

t. Ed Greenwood

FUCK YOU GO BACK TO POL LIBTARD WHERE YOUR GARBAGE FAILED DOCTRINE CAN FESTER THE NEXT ATTACK ON OUR RIGHTS AND COUNTRY TRAITOR

We both know that Ed Greenwood wouldn't countenance any two square feet of his setting having just a three-line writeup, or that a cursory description of any region would seem potentially interesting.

Most Muslims don't live in the Arabian peninsula and aren't a language so they aren't "Arabic" but I'm sure you're the expert.

recognizable=/=generic

Then you're welcome to find a new hobby because you're in the wrong one you simple little closeminded shitstain :3 baaaaaaaaai

>acquaintances with a fair number of nerds
>every once in a while there are rumblings of wanting to get a game together
>nothing ever comes of it
>realise that it's never going to happen unless I grab the bull by the horns and DM
>tfw just not that creative
>tfw poor speaker with a speech impedement
>tfw getting anxious from being the center of attention

>Offer to DM the game.
>Put your heart and soul into it.
>Pour your soul into your NPC's and put as much effort as you can into crafting a world and narrative that suits your needs.
>Best case: Come into your own and assume the mantle of forever DM as so many before you.
>Worst-case: Be so insanely shit that someone else, for fear of tearing out their own eyes offers to DM in your stead.
Win-win

It's really not.

Sounds awesome, but 5 years can be a long time for some people. Have you guys tried switching games for a few weeks/months and then going back to it?

This situation happened to my old Traveller group, and we switched out to playing WFRP for a while, with someone else GMing. We played for a couple of months, then switched back to Traveller after we'd finished the arc the GM had.

Seemed to work fine

>>tfw just not that creative
>>tfw poor speaker with a speech impedement
>>tfw getting anxious from being the center of attention
Coward

>rolling damage before hit is confirmed regardless of concealment or anything else
>your dm is doing things out of order regadless of what the rules say.

If it's a crit with a triple weapon, you probably won't even need to roll damage to know it's going to hurt like hell.

>Worse case: Come into your own and assume the mantle of forever DM as so many before you
>Nuclear case: Be so insanely shit that someone else, for fear of tearing out their own eyes offers to DM in your stead.
fixed that for you

We've tried that as well, with a different member of the group GMing, but we're running into the same problem of the one guy phoning it in, on the few occasions we've managed to get him round for game night.
We've gamed without him as well, but that doesn't solve the issue of the Main game which we've all grown attached to.

>He doesn't roll to hit and roll damage at the same time and just ignore the damage if it misses
Saves time on a hit and feels good to roll a lot of dice at once. I roll for multiple attacks at once, too.

Truth.

The Arabic Ghul is an undead creature similar to a vampire. It uses magic and can can change its shape.

Ghuls have hooved feet in their human form, and can transform into a giant hyena.

They're known to raid crypts and feast upon all of the corpses within.

>gm gets mad when he can't roll for shit
>gm gets mad and starts insulting players when they get something minor wrong
>gm gets really defensive when you call him on his shit
>dead silence for a good five minutes before someone speaks up and tries to put the session back on track

>Wanted to run a modern supernatural horror game in the Appalachians, filled with backwood cults, fearsome critters, devil's at the crossroads, and the like.

Damn! I would play the he'll out of that game!

Not always...

There's a right way to catch the coverage, and it's called calling ahead and saying that you're not showing up.

Dude. There's a guy at my LGS that runs a campaign.
He has a severe speech impediment.
But he always has a bog smile on his face and so does everyone else on his group.

Presumably, you're already part of a social group that wants to game with you.
As long.as everyone is enjoying themselves, who cares?

>Best case: Come into your own and assume the mantle of forever DM as so many before you.

It's a heavy cross to bear but someone has to do it.

>Rolling for concealment miss chance AFTER your attack roll