Magic: Metamorphosis 2.0

>Cutting back on the Jacetice League
>Less Masterpieces
>Larges sets year round, revamped core set in the summer with about 50% reprints
>New R&D department dedicated to stopping atrocities like Marvel
>Praise be to MaRo
Tell me, Veeky Forums, which change is your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373598
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>core sets return

Rudy was right

Also good on them for cutting a few masterpieces, they printed too many each set which meant that getting a specific one was nearly impossible

Wake me up when they make up their mind on how things are going to be. Just fucking pick something and stick with it already.

Is there a term for "change fatigue"?

More reprints is always good! Unfortunately, it will be less damnation, and more languish.

The reprints will be Standard legal. Anyone who thinks the good stuff will be reprinted needs to lay off the kool-aid.

Guess the little experiment didn't go all too well now, did it?

Its called living in the Obama administration

Magic moves in 2-3 year cycles, which is what the average player stays in the game. Only those that stay longer feel the lack of direction and the constant back and forth. For most players, this list represent innovation.

Yeah expect only reprints of shit like
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373598
Reminder that removal is not fun for new players, blue will be the color of "tap target creature" and large overcosted flyers, black will be the color of "target player loses x life you gain x life" and demons

Shit like that made me hate theros when it came out. There has always been shit cards in magic, but that was the first set after they moved doomblade to uncommon because its too good, and they made removal a fucking rare.

M14 was one of the absolute worst sets in recent memory, up there with dragon's maze, born of the bad, and battle for zendikar.

More reprints doesn't matter until they get rid of the reserved list, but for the rest

>Is there a term for "change fatigue"?
Conservative.

>The set will have some story relevance, but more in a "filling in information of the past about relevant characters" way than telling a piece of the "present-day" story.

I hope its more Magic origins than stupid ass boring core sets. Its awesome to see a bunch of different worlds all at once. Unfortunately, Wizards of the Coast treats all new players like drooling retards, so they will only stick with a couple.

>More reprints doesn't matter until they get rid of the reserved list
So...
a) never, because the reserved list is forever and
b) never, because they'll never reprint the relevant reserved list cards into Standard

The return of core is probably my favorite part, but I'm also very relieved that they're dropping small sets.
Not sure what to feel about sets sharing a plane one after another, though.

You say that, but I'm slowly working my way up in the financial world, and one day I'll just start hoarding dual lands. Every time I get a hundred, I'll tear em in two and send them signed to wizards with a note saying "start reprinting"

Or so I wish

It'll be like Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash, but without Dragon's Maze

>buying duals and tearing them
if you are in the finance world u must suck because that is a terrible return on investment

If you destroy all true dual lands, then all true dual lands will just be gone.

I don't like the idea of a good plane getting one set or a shit plane getting three sets. And I'm skeptical about Core Set 2.0. Everything else sounds good on paper.

>Praise be to MaRo
No.

You start with dual lands because that's what everyone can use. Then you start going after specific decks.

And we'll all hold hands and frolick towards the sunset.

How about a good plane getting three sets and a shit plane getting three? You seem to be assuming the worst here.

Then those decks will just be gone.

Hint: Wotc cares about Standard infinitely more than Legacy.

I am, but you're also right. The inverse is equally possible. And that is a small shred of hope, if nothing else.

I'll let you in on a secret, mate:
Wizards doesn't care about Legacy

They should, if only for the ability to offer the following service:
Boosterbox reprints 'on demand".
You can order a booster box any time of year at wizards. Quarterly, they do the printing and sending of these, and people will get to relive memes.

>no more blocks

You act like the only thing they primt is stuff for standard. Commander products, duel decks, from the vault, and *** masters could all easily hose prices on cards that need the printings.

wut

>You act like the only thing they primt is stuff for standard.
Because core sets 2.0 is what we are talking about, which are for standard.
>Commander products, duel decks, from the vault, and *** masters could all easily hose prices on cards that need the printings.
Could, but they won't. Expensive cards will always be mythic rarity in masters, and print runs on everything will be limited.

Less SJW: The Pandering

Bring back Garruk, apologize for caving in to the shrieking, histrionic harpies that made a big deal about Triumph Of Ferocity ("IT'S WRONG FOR A MAN TO ATTACK A WOMAN EVEN IF SHE'S A LITERAL SADISTIC SOCIOPATH WHO CAST A MAGIC SPELL ON HIM CURSING HIM TO DIE A SLOW AND AGONIZING DEATH"), fire that black hambeast that you literally pay to criticize your material for not being diverse enough, do a Norse inspired plane where every warchief isn't a stronk WYMYN and there are, accurately, no fucking chocos, and MAYBE we'll talk.

Also, retcon the autist and tranny planeswalkers to be normal.

>We're significantly pulling back on how often the Gatewatch will appear as planeswalker cards.

Wasn't a similar mistake made with the Weatherlight story? They always push these things too hard.

My post was directed at your second post, which assumes the reserve list is gone.

And? They would just treat Legacy the way that they treat Modern, which is the way that I said.

Fucking finally, too bad they're still be the protagonist.

>Less Masterpieces
Meh.

>Larges sets year round, revamped core set in the summer with about 50% reprints
Good, I liked core sets but I'm not very optimistic about a "block" with 2 planes...

I don't care about standard

>Praise be to MaRo
No.

Overall, I like when they admit they fucked up, it gives me sexual pleasure.

The problem is that - no matter how much they talk about reprints - they're still the same people who actually chose not to reprint any cards

>they admit they fucked up, it gives me sexual pleasure

They admit it, but do they understand it?

So, they've backed down on pretty much everything they've attempted to implement the past two years?

We cant really know for sure one way or the other. With option to print the really old stuff, coupled with the demand for it, there could easily be a way for all the 30-60 range cards to drop the price they have solely because they are on the list.

The core set will silence the voices at Wizards' who use "But it doesn't fit into the woooooorld" as an excuse to keep any and all reprints out of their sets.

That won't cure the problem or prevent them from using their other retarded excuses, but it's something

Yep. Ain't life grand?

All we can do is go on the evidence, and the evidence is that wotc doesn't like to reprint cards to the point where they become cheap.
>With option to print the really old stuff, coupled with the demand for it, there could easily be a way for all the 30-60 range cards to drop the price they have solely because they are on the list.
Getting rid of the reserved list would help stop reserved list buyouts and allow the old formats to grow. That's what it would do. It would not make the cards significantly cheaper.

Excuses are excuses, but at a certain point, they either want to reprint things or they don't. Personally I think they mostly don't want to reprint things. Because Elvish Mystic is too powerful and 4-mana wraths are unfair to disenfranchised players.

>Elvish Mystic
So print Shock in standard again, what's the problem?
>4-mana wraths are unfair
Who the fuck thinks this? Plus they're printing three mana wraths now.

I mean, if they do what they say and make the core sets 50% reprints then SOME of that will have to be decent cards.

It can't ALL be jank and filler rares

>It can't ALL be jank and filler rares
Of course it can.

What do you call Shadows, exactly?

Tireless Tracker and Avacyn: The Set?

Mudhole at mythic imho

Good point. At least we can make fun of them spamming their mistakes.

There are zero tranny planeswalkers. And the only time Narset has been called autistic is when the author of the story about her (in the Dragons timeline) was specifically asked if she was meant to be autistic, so just ignoring that statement means she's just weird. Like all the planeswalkers.

Why do you have no issue with sociopaths, but have an issue with autists? What is actually wrong with you? I get hating both, and i get hating sociopaths, and I get being fine with both, I just don't understand the combination you got in your retard noggin.

Not that guy, but I'd rather see Narset than Liliana.

I dont really think the "past behavior" excuse works here because we havent had a time where they could print that stuff without 'collectors' getting mad. They've shown they want to print that stuff with things like sliver queen in commander arsenal

>i don't know what's a bait

>because we havent had a time where they could print that stuff without 'collectors' getting mad.
And we still wouldn't, because 'collectors' would still get mad.
>commander arsenal
You mean that supplemental product with a low print run?

I could've been baited, but I have seen similar mindsets often enough to be wary, and on top of that curious as to the thought process.

Aside from killing the small sets and blocks, and bringing in more supplemental products, everything is back to normal in some regard.

The fundamental thing to remember about all changes is that you will be miserable no matter what they do.

yeah its because they think you are a drooling retard not that they dont want to expand and maintain several worlds simultaneously

>without Dragon's Maze
DRAFTING IS FUN FUCK YOU!

Do you not remember modern masters 2015 and 2017? At least this image will be useful in the future for the reprints.

>There are zero tranny planeswalkers
lets just keep it that way

Just do it like Magic Origins; we see a snapshot of each world, adding a couple new characters here and there, and satisfying the older players while engaging the new ones.

But Modern Masters quite literally WASN'T all filler rares

It was shit, but a lot less shit than could be reasonably expected, at least it had fetches

All large sets is my favorite as i only play drafts.
>wait, did i just pass these set of cards?
Drafting small sets is a pain, there's alot of times in drafts where the last 4-5 passed cards are virtually the same dregs.

I'm pretty ok with that though. WotC's inability to design small sets has been apparent for years.

less master piece as in less sets will have them. The sets that do have them might have the same amount. If you want masterpieces every (non-core?) set, but not as many, you can send him an email using the link at near the bottom of this page.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

Personally, I'd like to see Lilliana take on a more antagonistic role. Right now she feels like a Chaotic Neutral-type character - obviously on the wrong side of proper morality, but still an ally to the protagonists.

whatever, four to five years from now:
> new planeswalker Avengers team
> another premium chase product like masterpieces
> back to large & small sets
> new R&D
> MaRo might die
and the reserved list will remain untouched
and interaction with the stack will be even more limited
and removal will be even more restricted and conditional
vanilla creatures with junk in the trunk stalling on the combat phase until somebody draws a larger one
and WotC making increasingly more money becase the game is now targetted to impulsive newcomers who come and stay for two years
Magic isn't dead, I am
MaRo is neither to blame or praise

too late, she's already inducted to the GW.
You can hope for Garruk i guess.

thats not sustainable long term, its going to be too hard to keep track of everything without making it a complete narrative mess on their end

They'll probably just make Core Set like they used to be. Snippets of multiple worlds with no stories.
I think it would be a good resting time from being bombarded with cheesy stories all year long.

The first one, and the most recent one were okay, but plagued by criminally low print runs. Most stores were struggling to get 10 boxes from the one wave of printing, it took wizards about a month before they realized demand was still so high after they sold everything that they made a second miniscule print run.

MM15 was literal garbage and a prime example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with the company.

>Masterpieces will be in some sets, but not all
No you idiots, don't do that, it's going to fuck with your numbers! Sets with masterpieces will sell more than sets without and your retarded market research team won't be able to figure out that that's the case because they don't look at the sets!

This is what will cause Shadows block cards to raise in price, won't it.

Personally, I would be worried that as long as they continue to call them 'core sets', they're going to continue not to sell.

It's just a fundamental problem where they want to pitch things at less-enfranchised players but things that are aimed at that audience just do not sell (or sell less than typical Standard sets do anyway). There's not actually any reason to suppose that the new core sets are going to be any more appealing or better selling than the old ones were. That's the thing that I would be worried about if I was Wizards.

To be frank, I kind of think that the whole player enfranchisement framework might be kind of flawed and simplistic.

It's just so frustrating. What's the point of having a dark sorceress type character if you're not going to do anything with that archetype? She shouldn't be fighting alongside the Gatewatch, she should be seducing Jace or Chandra into betraying them, or trying to trap them to sell them off to her demons. Although that would require both some semblance of characterization and a certain sense of sexuality, both of which Wizards seems vehemently opposed to.

What Core Sets primarily should be is support for the Standard environment. Simple and effective threats and answers. New players will just buy whatever the newest set is anyway, and will often be discouraged from buying Core Sets by more enfranchised players.

However, as Rudy pointed out, Core Sets were monetarily a very sound purchase as a much higher ratio of commons and uncommons were sought after cards for constructed play than compared with expert level expansions.

I believe from one of their creative panels at Pax east for Khans of Tarkir, they mentioned how their fictional women can be sexy or badass, but never presented in taking damage on the art.
>inb4 someone brings up the big fatass beta male dicksucker who complimented WOTC for having more women in the cards

We need to talk about how Wizards handles their female characters before and after the Garruk controversy. The issue of concern is how before, in this fantasy setting full of world with dangers, women were subject to both kick ass and get their ass kicked; there was no limits on who could be a soldier/explorer/adventurer in each setting, such as Sisay being the captain, or how everyone on ravnica was prone to getting annihilated if they were not careful. Innistrad was the last set to have women in dangerous situations and be in danger in the art and the story. Everything after that, if there is a female character who is named, nothing bad will happen and all will work out for her, ruining my investment in the story and the art, with the exception of Angels because WOTC hates my waifus

>Having a hot flaming lesbian nympho
As long as Creative team and MaRo still on the SJW, not ever happening

The problem is that - from Wizards' point of view - the correct tempo is pretty clearly that they release 4 "main-line" expansions per year. This has been true, and has been something they've been trying to implement, since at least, like, 2003 or 2004. And if 1 of those 4 sets sells significantly less than the others, that's a *really* high cost to pay in order to support Standard. It's a massively high tradeoff to make. The question isn't how you support the Standard environment, the question is how you support the Standard environment in a way that's sustainable economically for Wizards and that doesn't just give away profits.

Being invested in the Magic the Gathering story is stupid as hell

shut up

The sails on all expansions will drop significantly if they don't support constructed play properly.

>less Jacetice League
Good. I'd prefer literally 0 of them, but whatever. Step in the right direction.
>less Masterpieces
Classic Wizards misunderstanding feedback. They took the feedback of "Invocations are visually unappealing and ugly" as "All Masterpieces suck, stop making them". I hate when they do this bs.
>3 large sets plus a core set each year, no blocks
Could be good, could be terrible. I'd've preferred returning to the old tried and true 3 set block plus core set, but whatever.
>new R&D Department
Don't really care, R&D makes far more mistakes than they should on all fronts. They even claimed to have literally never even thought about the Copy Cat combo in all of development and playtesting of AER.

pls no bully sempai

>all of development and playtesting of KLD/AER
fix'd

SJW happens. Wimmin are not allowed to be the bad guy now.

>feedback of "Invocations are visually unappealing and ugly, and have no cohesive theme"
2nd fix'd
I really need to proof-read my posts.

>They took the feedback of "Invocations are visually unappealing and ugly" as "All Masterpieces suck, stop making them"
There was a whole bunch of backlash against the lack of theme in the Amonkhet masterpieces. That was the feedback they responded to.

But I thought virtue-signaling SJWs were all about including non-heterosexual people in their work?

In all seriousness though, the entire MtG setting feels strangely desexualized. None of the characters feel like they have any sexuality to them at all. Sure, they're certainly attractive, and a few are explicitly gay or straight, but I can't imagine any of them as actual sexual creatures. Can you imagine Gideon hitting on some farmgirl back on Theros, trying to win her over with his cocksure smile and impressive physique? Jace locking eyes with some fellow timid student across the library halls? Does Chandra's impulsiveness translate to promiscuity, or does she fear intimate relationships? Is Liliana ever lonely?

We just don't know, because none of these characters have any development beyond "SNARKY QUIPPING FIRE GIRL" or "SMART QUIPPING WIZARD MAN" or "SARCASTIC QUIPPING SORCERESS". They feel entirely hollow.

Maybe, but they took it as "stop making masterpieces entirely" instead of "make them always have an actual cohesive theme from now on"

Eh, no. You didn't read the article. They won't do them every set. They will do them when there's a clear set appropriate theme to build them around.

My point is that Wizards has quite a track record of misinterpreting feedback on a single bad product and then blanket applying that negative feedback to the entire line.
For example, Kamigawa was a bit of a mistake, but instead of having any kind of return to Kamigawa in the future with a better design and balance to fix the mistakes, they flat out said they're never going back there ever because of the feedback on it. Same situation with Lorwynn.

tl;dr they can't interpret feedback for shit, and they often ignore or overly generalize it

Of course the lore in a game a significant part of whose market is pre-teens isn't going to be going into depth on the hard planeswalker fucking

The actual reason they are limiting Masterpieces is because they had a hard time coming up with cohesive themes. So they are instead limiting the series to when it would make sense instead of just trying to come up with something because they need to

>GOD DAMN IT WIZARDS STOP DOING THINGS I DONT LIKE
>but user they haven't done that
>THEY BETTER FUCKING NOT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Why would you not want a cute femboi planeswalker?

Bontu's reckoning is more like a 6+ mana wrath because of the heavy downside