ITT we talk about cybernetics/prosthetics

How do you like yours to work? Neural uplinks and shit or clunky prosthetics?

Magic that taps into the conscious of the person through the blood vessels.

Weeaboos need to fucking neck themselves.

On an Indonesian finger puppet board?

Really?

Veeky Forums was made for Warhammer 40k, not anime shit. Fuck off back to r*ddit if you want to babble about your animemes.

Its the only picture I could find on my hard drive labelled 'prosthetic'

Nice backpedaling, faggot. End yourself.

Anyone got that picture of moot banning someone for saying something stupid like this, and completely forgetting what this website was originally built for?
Both, because 40k.

Just ignore him, its what his parents did.

Make me more machine than man, senpai. I like 'em obvious and awesome.

Golem constructs that sort of try to guess what the user wants them to do.

>this is what 40kids actually believe

You have a choice user.
>Keep your peenor and all the parts that make it function while accepting that it will always be your weak spot
>Replace it with a backup auto-shotgun but give up ever getting off again.

A difficult choice.

>not running wires into brain and getting off every time you fire it

come on man use your head

from my science fantasy setting
>cybernetics very advanced
>some people are completely robotic from the neck down, some uploading consciousness into robots
>disadvantage of cybernetics: whenever the emotional centers of the brain are active, cybernetics behave inconsistently
>those who live high stress lives with a lot of anxiety, action ,etc (aka soldiers) have their emotional centers of their brains supressed cybernetically or with medication
>mercenary companies of cybernetic soldiers are reknown as especially ruthless, cold, and efficient

either advanced bio-mechanics, or straight up magic bullshit.

Having both at once is a bad idea

Sounds like the latest deus ex games.

I've always liked the idea of a protected sophisticated neural hub interface at the base where the limb attaches, and actual limb being simply robotic.

Enchanted prosthetics. Mostly made from precious metals like silver, though dwarves and gnomes prefer bronze. Anyway, they're always too expensive for the everyman, so only rich adventurers, powerful wizards, high ranking clerics and royalty can afford them; everybody else must be contempt with wooden peg legs and such.

Thats how I'm making it work in my game actually! You have surgery to have an interface fitted to your stump/missing-organ/etc, but the limbs themselves are the work of mechanics and engineers.

A setting I'm working on has cybernetics as an alternative for replaced organs which offer new utilities, and other cases are brain in a box cyborgs who have their brain put into a full robotic frame, some because of sickness or injury, some volunteer for the upgrades, though some are artificially made brains via 3-D printing, the bodies tend to be on the utilitarian side, so the individuals must use deep immersion VR to experience creature comforts, but the VR is given tells to ensure one does not become mentally lost in that environment

Content.

Also, why silver? That's a terrible metal to use for something that is going to be subjected to daily use and battering. I get conspicuous consumption, but that's just a waste.

I prefer having the nerves grow into the limb itself; there's no hard hub, just a spectrum where axons gradually give way to synthetic nerves.

>Content.
Thanks user. Sometimes my dyslexia gets in the way

I chose silver for my setting because in Irish mythology there's this guy called king Nuada, who ruled over the Tuatha de Dannan, but lost his arm in battle and was no longer fit for kingship, so a mage-healer made a silver arm for him. I like that detail, so that's it. Also, in my setting iron is unfit for enchanting (you can try, but it will probably fail. Steel can hold the enchantments better, because of the carbon in it).
Anyway, a fragile, silver limb is still better than a piece of dead wood, or no limb at all.

That reduces modularity and makes the body more vulnerable to shock should the new limb suffer heavy damage

Which I like. It's not a hunk of metal; it's your arm. It's a part of you. You made the choice to get rid of the flesh (or the ganger with the monofilament chainsaw made the choice for you), and now you have to live with it.

Isn't that the guy Hellboy stabbed?

Kindly remember that 40k is garbage.

I'm a huge fan of asymmetry when it comes to prosthetics.

>fantasy
Sympathetic spirit bound to the prosthetic that feeds off you in small amounts, giving you a new better-than-a-peg-leg limb but requires some odd ritual to replenish it. Forget to arrange thirteen glass pyramids in a circle and draw the sign connecting them inside it with your good hand each morning? Congrats, the hunk of metal fused to your stump dangles uselessly until you appease it by anointing it in oils and singing that hymn it likes to make it stop pouting.

Nah, same name, different person. In the movie it was prince Nuada's father, king Balor, who had the silver arm. The drew inspiration from the myth.

So what's the point of prosthetics when you can just go brain box

Oh yes. The best.

Gotta love a character with a massive bulky cyborg arm, or a long spindly one quite obviously not designed for their build.

Okay, go back to bed kiddo.

I think I've just found my new favorite type of cybernetic.
>if the arm gets destroyed you can just unplug it and switch to a different frame

>Also, why silver?
Non that user, but perhaps it takes to enchanting better.
The metal isn't taking the wear and tear, the enchantment is.
In my setting, Dwarven blacksmiths openly mock fancy silver blades designed for enchantment for turning useless with the right disenchantment.

If silver was good enough for Nuadha Airgetlam it's good enough for you

liked this a lot

>There aren't prosthetics in 40k
>40k isn't animoo as fuck

Exactly!

Plus, it means you can have mechanics making fucking INSANE arms, you could have characters who just swap arms on the fly.

Cool concept that is virtually unseen because all my players feel losing a limb is a fate worse than death.

Here's a more recent one:

>Replace it with a backup auto-shotgun but give up ever getting off again.
>Not modular ass destroying powerdildo
One setting for fun, one setting for beating scrubs to death with

Robotic nano-cells that function as immune cells and also repair/remove damaged cells. Essentially, it prolongs your life immensely since aging and cancer are caused by defective cellular replication. Also handy for internal injuries, poisoning etc.