Is a wave of afro-aesthetic sci-fi and fantasy just around the corner?

Is a wave of afro-aesthetic sci-fi and fantasy just around the corner?

Other urls found in this thread:

jeremyvarner.com/blog/2016/06/south-african-cryptids/#more-5188
jeremyvarner.com/blog/2016/03/alternative-mythologies-south-africa-the-lozi/
jeremyvarner.com/blog/2015/10/alternative-mythology-the-bantu/
youtube.com/watch?v=72BrqGNvaT0
imgur.com/a/iHF95
pastebin.com/u/Curupira
sourcebooks.fordham.edu/halsall/med/lewis1.asp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

god, please, yes!!!
afrofuturism/afropunk kicks ass, btw

Hopefully id love some new themes other than the basic ones that are always used

Blending tribal aesthetics with urbane fashion is my shit.

I'd be cool with that.

Fuck yeah, I hope so.

Black panther will come out. The anti-SJW's will loose their shit, the SJW's will loose their shit, and then after a few months it will all blow over and he'll be a side character again who people occasionally point to when relevant to the issue being discussed.

why would there be?

>implying it won't be the exact same themes but with a black main character who they milk for controversy

Oh man I fuckin hope so

I wouldn't mind.

Along with more pre Columbus America

>Characters created by Europeans
>using European Technology
>following the European Hero Narrative Arc
>with all the characters replaced with fly soul brothas and a superficial African motif that in 30 years will be considered ignorant stereotypes

I'm down

That could be an interesting change of pace if done well.

Speaking of which, what kinds of tropes/creatures/features can we draw from Africa for fantasy settings? I know very little. I know there were tribes and European colonialism, but that's it.

If I can play fantasy RPG vidya with a diverse selection of those sweet African swords with unique blade designs

HELL YEAH!!!

I read that book when I was like 12 and loved it. Afro-sci-fi is awesome.

If you were just a little bit smarter you would have posted the original novel.

So long as niggers don't ruin it, sure, it'd be cool.

Sounds good.

Spears of the Dawn have guidelines for integrating its afro-fantasy classes with Stars Without Numbers. Good start for an Afro-futurist game right there.

It really depends on your region. In some regions mythology (mostly Yoruba), God (Oludamare) is a chill and benevolent figure and life is all about finding your divinely proscribed purpose, and they believe in reincarnation and personal balance.

OTHER regions believe god is a fucking asshole who literally hates you and all humanity, thats why life is suffering,

The only interesting tidbit I know out of African settings is diplomatic.

In some of there cultures, it's considered more trusting to shake with the left hand. This is because at the time, combat was using a large skin shield in the left hand and a long weapon in the right. To shake with the right hand is to shake while holding your shields, risking no injury. To shake with the left is to shake while holding your weapons, but defenseless: A strong gesture of trust in the other party.

What's this from then?

Need gods for your setting? You can take inspiration from the orisha of Yoruba mythology.

When an African person wears European-style clothing, how is that not cultural appropriation, but the reverse is?

Nah. They'll recycle the same things half a dozen times, and people will say 'oh, neat' and ignore it. Like diesel punk, biopunk, etc.

I can't wait.

I wish, because that sounds fucking cool.

Need weapons? Just google African swords and weapons and you'll find all kinds of exotic blades.

It's because white people oppressed blacks (Or Maori in this case), while the opposite never happened. You are unaware of your own privilege.

Legendary creatures
jeremyvarner.com/blog/2016/06/south-african-cryptids/#more-5188

Mythology, South Africa: The Lozi
jeremyvarner.com/blog/2016/03/alternative-mythologies-south-africa-the-lozi/

Bantu Mythology

Central African Cryptids

etc etc, so forth

Why is the pharaoh so pale if he wuz kangz?

Because shrill white people don't care.

I'm interested more in how their societies were arranged and what mythological creatures/monsters they believed in, so I can start structuring a world. I'm not interested in gods as much as societies.

>while the opposite never happened
Who are the moors for 500 dollars Trebek

because even black people covet light skin.

Why would anti-sjws mind a black character played by a black actor in a fantasy-scifi setting?

the real answer aside from all these fucking meme answers you've received is we crammed OUR culture down their throats. In the colonial days, you could not be taken seriously wearing traditional garb. It's not so much appropriation as we went in their closet and replaced half their shit.

>Hollywood blatantly pandering
>Inadvertently makes something actually interesting for a change

Neo-tribalism is dope as fuck tho.

Fine, I'll be the guy.

Why does anyone pretend to be interested in this crap?

Do you think you will get some progress points for having slightly diverse taste in a totally forgettable and boring genre?

>Why would anti-sjws mind a black character played by a black actor in a fantasy-scifi setting?
the answer is always cultural marxism

>while the opposite never happened
Right its not like whites were ever massacred in Haiti or South Africa.

Not on the same scale, and also a distant idea to most Americans.

But in any case, the idea of cultural appropriation is utter bullshit.

Agreed. For lack of written culture there's just about as much interesting stuff in african myth and culture as there is in irish myth and culture. There's a reason that neither finds its way into media as anything other than a vague inspiration.

Cultural appropriation is horse shit anyways, anyone who actually believes that it is a real problem is probably retarded.

I like certain aspects of it. But only if its from the perspective of European explorers.
Then again I was originally interested in it so I could throw gorillas at my players.

This.
Amerindians were ruthlessly forced to conform to European standards, to the point where most tribal languages, traditions and beliefs are literally extinct because they were scrubbed out so hard.

Then why can't the blacks break away from their oppressors and take their dirty nigger selves back to Africa?

Aren't the lip-plates a female thing?

Isn't this just basically the worst sort of pandering there is? Based on that picture alone it seems to just be your standard fantasy-thingy with some token african bling.

I was not involved in colonialism.
I should be allowed to take part in any cultural practice I want and not being allowed to do so based on my ethnicity is racism.

Fuck your meme answer

>Why does anyone pretend to be interested in this crap?
Because it's different
>Do you think you will get some progress points for having slightly diverse taste in a totally forgettable and boring genre?
No, i'm just tired of eating reprocessed gruel made from Tolkiens corpse
>Not on the same scale

OK, what about Barbary coast slave trade

>The Ohio State University history Professor Robert Davis describes the White Slave Trade as minimized by most modern historians in his book Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500–1800. Davis estimates that 1 million to 1.25 million white Christian Europeans were enslaved in North Africa, from the beginning of the 16th century to the middle of the 18th, by slave traders from Tunis, Algiers, and Tripoli alone (these numbers do not include the European people which were enslaved by Morocco and by other raiders and traders of the Mediterranean Sea coast),[3] and roughly 700 Americans were held captive in this region as slaves between 1785 and 1815

>also a distant idea to most Americans

As a proud freedomdweller, you really should not determine what is or is not relevant based on whats in our common collective consciousness. America has ADD.

Why are they mad at Wonder Woman?

'Cause I'm a black guy who likes fantasy and sci-fi, and sometimes it's nice to see someone who looks like my family and neighborhood in these kinds of stories.

Comparing the actual numbers of people affected puts the oppressed whites at like less than 5% of the black number.

None of that fucking matters because cultural appropriation is a bullshit concept, I am just autistic and get triggered by false equivalencies.

/pol/ will hate it either way but Black Panther is an actual fleshed out character. Not a preexisting one given a "progressive" makeover.

>Why are people interested in legends and history they rarely have experience with
The only thing you have done is allow the people who see no value in human civilization to out themselves.

>Do you think you will get some progress points for having slightly diverse taste in a totally forgettable and boring genre?

No, I personally think the exotic element is what draws people. People often have preconceived notions of European myth being boring and overplayed which is why they seek out cultures that are not as well integrated into our pop-culture. Same reason there are weeabos, basically.

Nice bait btw. 10/10 would bite again.

I didn't say you shouldn't be. Cultural appropriation IS a meme. I was just explaining why it isn't cultural appropriation when Africans wear European cloths. I think people of all races and creeds should be able to wear whatever fashion or practice whatever religion they want. Dress up as a Bedin for all I care.

Except Rastafari. White Rastafari are the worst shit. It is also a religion that literally says you are the devil.

>Is a wave of KANGZposting from /pol/tards and legitimate afrocentrists alike just around the corner?

You know, except for Hobbits, and the Shire, just a little something in one of the most influential fantasy series of all time. But yeah if you ignore that, and creatures like the Banshee, among other things, then maybe.

If metal armor if your thing, few subsaharan African societies employed metal body armor to a significant degree. You could go two routes. Eschew historical accuracy for aesthetics and design Africa-flavored armor (which Euro-centric fantasy settings do all the time, so there's no shame in that) or embrace traditional African combat attire which ranged from tribal paint to colorful attire that could easily conjure comparisons to samurai aesthetic.

Fucking kek

Well, the first part is already here

See: any attempt to talk about Degenesis

>Irish myth isn't in pop media
Lolwut

I know and I really like Black Panther

it still remains that they (/pol/) will say his entire premise is historical revisionist fantasy gobble (even though no one has ever even suggested Wakanda is or could be a real place) and his existence is part of a cultural effort to make it seem like Africans was kangz by an apologetic and cowed white culture

Were they mad at Wonder Woman?

Yes the numbers are vastly different but this idea of inherited guilt is pretty loony. Every culture/race/nation has done some fucked up stuff, how long are they/we supposed to feel bad for it exactly?

I dunno really, I find South east Asia a lot more interesting, but it's ever blacks, blacks, blacks, some random asian, blacks, some aztec shit in pop culture... USA it's ridiculous obsesed with them desu. Half the myths I read about Africa involves a child than learned to speak since he was born and the enemie is some witch so it gets repetivies fast. Tought they have some weird/interesting monsters. For being so big Sub Saharan africa is kinda of boring compared to any other part of the world, only Australia is worse at that.

In what reality are they mad at Wonder Woman?

>If metal armor if your thing, few subsaharan African societies employed metal body armor to a significant degree

granted this is mostly due to climate. They had and knew how to smelt iron and in some circumstances could even produce high carbon steel. But they never had a need, culturally, to develop that kind of technology much further

>OK, what about Barbary coast slave trade

1. Those were Arabs and Berbers, not black people
2. The number you gave was less than even 2 million. Still doesn't compare at all to Atlantic slave trade scale

I don't consider myself liberal and don't think modern blacks are owed anything, and I think cultural appropriation is a bullshit concept. I just am arguing against false equivalency

No I definitely agree. I was specifically arguing against people comparing numbers that aren't even in the same neighborhood, just as a fan of information.

>This doesn't personally appeal to me so everyone who says it appeals to them must be pretending

youtube.com/watch?v=72BrqGNvaT0

That feel when any chance of a cool setting is drowned out by ironic "We wuz kangz" memes and utterly serious "We wuz kangz" statements.
RIP Africa setting where people give a shit about it and not want to use it for memes / political soapboxing.

kill yourself, SJWs

Not a meme, dude. Black people didn't get to keep their own languages, their own aesthetic styles, none of that. For them to return to something that they made, that celebrates them and their own cultures instead of being forced to adopt European standards, is both a new pride and an attempt to keep their own heritages alive.

I don't get to wear a kimono without being a weaboo. They had to wear suits to be considered real men worth talking to. There's a difference.

>1. Those were Arabs and Berbers, not black people
>the barbary coast
>not African

CATCH 22 MY FRIEND

WAS NORTHERN AFRICA BLACK OR NOT

BECAUSE IF NOT, THAN THE EGYPTIANS WEREN'T BLACK

WHICH IS IT MY FRIEND

KANGZ, OR NO KANGZ?

This may be of interest

imgur.com/a/iHF95
Inspiring images for african fantasy.

pastebin.com/u/Curupira
Check the "african fantasy", I can't link it directly right now.

>Certainly [the Barbary raids'] cumulative devastation fell far short of that produced by the slaving wars that were even then beginning to ravage the interior of West Africa; nor did they provoke anything like the net population decline that would later afflict the African states. (p.24)

Who the fuck thinks Egyptians are black lel. There are some in the south but they were of the same stock as any other berber. If anything they have Habesha relationships.
Also who the fuck thinks North Africa is black only because it's in Africa.

The Egyptians definitely weren't black, if that is your question. I am not sure if you are trolling or if you actually project this kangz boogey man on anyone who disagrees with you, but I have never and would never claim north Africans are black.

They likely have some subsaharan admixture but they aren't black imo

Depends.
America has never really felt bad about it, and any reconciliation was either arbitrary at best or undercut by a significant portion of the population.
user, cultural appropriation is when you demand to be a part of something when you don't understand what it is all about or why it came about.
Hip hop, for example, began as burgeoning cultural renaissance in poor black communities as a source of pride, camaraderie that wasn't gang loyalty and a drive for self improvement and taking ownership of your own destiny.
Most of that has faded to dust.

The Nubian dynasty was black, you know, down low in Sudan (although back in the day it was called Upper Egypt)

Muslims were the biggest slave traders of all time and started on it 600 years before Europeans, and yet they never get blamed even though they kick-started the African slave trade.

Bernard Lewis on the Muslim slave trade:
sourcebooks.fordham.edu/halsall/med/lewis1.asp

They aren't.

>I have never and would never claim north Africans are black.
Most black activists and their leftist friends do, though, and they're the ones complaining about cultural appropriation the most.

Egypt has been ruled be everyone around them at one point or another. Also because the gov changes it doesn't mean the rest does. Did china population change when the Mandarins, European or Japs took over?

>America has never really felt bad
pic related, but also remember that Jim Crow laws were just that. Laws put in place by the government.
I Also don't see the middle east apologizing for the Arabic slave trade, or England for the Irish slave trade.

what do you quote? A simple page means nothing

>Muslims were the biggest slave traders of all time and started on it 600 years before Europeans, and yet they never get blamed even though they kick-started the African slave trade.

Probably because their countries are all irrelevant shitholes. Nobody is going to bother with blaming a society with nothing to offer, idiot.

No, but this is the BLACK WAS KANGZ narrative.

>Black Panther is an actual fleshed out character

I mostly agree, but it depends on who is the writer.

Gets talked about all the time, mate. In groups and out groups, though. The guys doing evil crap on the other side of the world are terrible people, but they have a point, etc...
The guys doing something you don't like next door? They're the worst people in the world.

It's funny how only moments I heard anybody talk about black egyptians, it was white supremacists "debunking" it. Never heard anybody say it like they believed it.

>I Also don't see the middle east apologizing for the Arabic slave trade, or England for the Irish slave trade.
Well thats just not equivilant, for one Irish aren't people

Basically? We REQUIRE members of other cultures to wear our clothes in order to interact seriously. Because we have the power to do so. And, if you look at some historical interactions between Europeans and Asians, you'll see that they sometimes did it to us.

The difference is that, in establishing that requirement, we make it clear what contexts are appropriate for a given outfit. Whereas, when members of the dominant culture start fucking around with wearing clothes from other cultures, they tend to be guided by only their aesthetics, which can lead to wearing ceremonial or otherwise significant garb being worn in inappropriate situations. It's pretty offensive to see someone wearing clothing that you consider sacred while they're throwing up from alcohol poisoning.

>Saudi Arabia
>an irrelevant shithole

Nubians did one time. Nubians don't have anything to do with Western African tough. It's like saying Acadians were Tzars or some shit like that.

>Africa
>Superhero films
>Cultural appropriation
>Historical slavery
>Muslims
>Graham Linehan

They can practically smell this thread.