WotC shuts down Magic Duels in the middle of the block

Classy, Wizards. Classy. Glad I didn't spend a penny on this shit, but everyone who did gets fucked.

>These are all exciting beginnings, but with new beginning comes one ending. In order to make room for the next generation of Magic digital products, Amonkhet will be the last new content update for Magic Duels. Hour of Devastation will not be released on the platform.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-digital-next-update-2017-06-13

mtgo is next

People who lose their MTGO accounts are going to crucify WotC:

>Not using cockatrice.

You won't lose your account, they'll just stop supporting it.

I'm sure the people who spent thousands of dollars on a dead game will appreciate the difference.

The thing that gets me is that they didn't even bother finishing the block. They were in such a hurry to get rid of Duels that they didn't even wait for HoD.

in other news water is wet

WotC handles computer games in ways that makes the Japanese look like they know what they're doing

>mfw I spent ~$60 on this hoping that some day it would be a nifty ftp super-standard
I knew this would happen. Something in the back of my mind always told me that there's tigers can't change their stripes, dogs return to their vomit, and that it is the scorpion's nature to sting, but that bright-eyed hopeful part of me wanted to believe that despite Stainless fucking up every single thing about this game somehow that would happen.

They didn't even support it in the first place. Long delays,Terrible deck editor, cards not working properly for months its clear the entire game was just shit out as an afterthought.

so are we getting a good duels like 2014 this july?

I liked Magic Duels, but it was clear from the beginning it was just an experiment fated to be discontinued. I believe they'll use that engine to build the new MTGO, though.

Whatever they do, I hope they release it on Android this time. All we've fucking got is some overpriced broken Magic: Puzzle Quest match-3 pachinko machine bullshit

They knew that was going to happen eventually. Indefinite support isn't a thing and never has.

>They knew that was going to happen eventually.

I don't think they did. If they did, they wouldn't have spent a small fortune on digital bullshit that just gets taken away in the end.

At the very least, WotC should fully refund all MTGO purchases in the form of physical cards when MTGO is shut down. Just give every single player a physical copy of every card they had in their collection. Cards that don't exist as physical versions (Vintage reserved list stuff) needs to be refunded as some high value boosters.

>WotC should fully refund all MTGO purchases in the form of physical cards
Someone didn't read the terms before signing up.

never spent any money on it, and it's basically been a trainwreck from the get-go. I mean, prelious myr too stronk, mwonvoli acid moss BTFO the whole format, the brief death of main phase instants, it's not been pretty. It was a fun time waster and its death was inevitable. Doing it mid-block is still bizarre though.

>playing MTGO
>playing Duels
>playing with physical cards

xmage is the only way to play magic

Man I'm still grinding every day to get that last fucking achievement.

Literally yesterday they offered me 2000 coins for linking it with some other account (dci I thought)

It's presumably supposed to be an apology for killing the game. A fat lot of good it does though, currency for a game that is dead.

Magic Duels was outclassed by its competitors before it even released. Everyone following closely knew this would happen
MTGO isn't going anywhere yet. It's a unique offering with no competitors, it's profitable (except for redemption), and pros have no viable alternative for streaming Magic content so discontinuing without a feature-complete replacement will kill their esports effort

HOWEVER they're winding down redemption and eventually will discontinue it. The bot market will collapse but so long as they continue the same level of support I think it will bounce back. Eventually they'll find a way for marketplace sellers to thrive that doesn't cost them a lot of money
if you're not in it for the competitive aspect, then yeah, of course Cockatrice is the way to go

I mean it's one of the longest running, continuously-supported online game, beating WoW by 2 years. Only Ultima Online and MUDs beat it. They have an established track record of letting MTGO live even as newer stuff comes and goes

The replacement for Duels will use DCI sign-in by default. Making you sign up for an account now makes you more likely to sign in when it releases this winter