I have a question about Emperor Palpatine for the Star Wars buffs

I have a question about Emperor Palpatine for the Star Wars buffs.

So the entire galaxy knew who Sheev Palpatine was. But was it common knowledge that Chancellor Palpatine became The Emperor? Or did nobody really know who he was?

>But was it common knowledge that Chancellor Palpatine became The Emperor
Yeah. He gave a giant televised speech about it to the senate.

They cheered him for it, too. I blame Jar Jar

All part of the plan.

OP, be truthful

Are you the Bajoran Helmet user

The other anons in this thread are correct, but furthermore, nobody judged his new creepy yellow-eyed appearance because it wasn't his fault. Our beloved emperor was, tragically, horribly disfigured fighting a traitorous Jedi during their doomed attempt to take over the galaxy.

Wasn't the majority of the Galactic Senate already under Sith influence at this point? I remember Dooku saying something along those lines and Obi-Wan was all, "lol, noes ways!"

At that point, Palestine was the Chancellor. So yes, the Senate was under his influence. Also, later on in the series, leading up to Order 66 and the dissolution of the Republic, the Jedi were suffering from a lot of bad PR due to the Clone Wars. Serving as front line generals and leading military actions tarnished their reputation as powerful but passive peacekeepers, and the general public was already losing faith in the Order by the time old Sheev pulled he trigger.

I know he was the Chancellor, but he was elected to that position because of his previous, possibly Sith, influence, neh?

Oh yeah it was some good political maneuvering, and his access to force persuasion and the ability to sense people's motives definitely helped. Iirc, he had public sympathy because of the attacks on Naboo, his homeworld. He had undermined confidence in the previous Chancellor, also in no small part thanks to the attacks on Naboo. And he was a veteran Senator that people knew and generally liked. He set himself up so that when the old Chancellor was gone, he was the natural choice for the replacement.

Literally one of the final scenes in RotS is him showing off his distorted face and using it to rally the people as he proclaims the change from the Republic to the "first Galactic Empire."

Not exactly. He was elected to that position through deceit, mostly. There's really nothing to indicate that he actually did anything Force-wise to the Senate as a whole (except in Legends... but let's ignore that for now), he was just a manipulative mastermind.

HAHAAHHAHAHA

HILARIOUS FUCKING MEME

It's a little bit funny

First off, his name wasn't Sheev. That's a Disney canon thing, and Disney canon is not true canon.

Secondly, it was common knowledge. The official story was a half-truth that the Jedi tried to assassinate him and take control of the Galactic Republic via revolution.

The common citizen didn't know he was a Sith lord, but they knew he was the former Chancellor who took power after a supposed Jedi rebellion.

>Disney canon is not true canon

Sorry, friend. But it is now. I'm sorry you can't cope with that fact.

Shh
Say nothing.
Look away as the disney thought police reprogram him.
His troubles are now over.
We all love Mickey Mouse now.

Forever we will hold out banner high!

No, I am.

I am sorry brothers. I do not know what came over me. I love Disney. I praise Mickey. I forgot that Disney made Star Wars. There was never any other canon. Praise the Mouse.

>Disney canon is not true canon
Bingo