Should I use persuasion or intimidation to stop someone suicidal...

Should I use persuasion or intimidation to stop someone suicidal, be it in self harm (like jumping from a bridge) or by others (menacing a place or the local authorities)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PiK8mGOowN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Neither, let nature take its' course.

It depends on so many different factors, I wouldn't even know.

But in theory both could work?

I mean, just talking with them is more likely than yelling at them, but I guess it's possible to scare or guilt them out of it temporarily.

>Person feels that dying isn't as scary or bleak as continuing to live.
>Let me try to scare and intimidate him so that dying is an even more attractive option
>Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Persuasion
> There are people who love and care about you. I care about you. Please don't do this.
Intimidation
> Motherfucker, if you jump I will bind your soul to the asphalt and make you feel every tire burning rubber on your ass for all eternity.

Athletics.

You needed to ask Veeky Forums if letting him die or talking him out of it could both theoretically work?

Well technically, saying that suicide leads to hell/eternal damnation is intimidation, and it works IRL

>Intimidation

Get down or I shoot you down.

Talking someone back from suicide is pure deescalation. The entire objective is to reduce the stress that the subject is undergoing and help them feel comfortable and safe enough that you can plant some hope in them.

Intimidation is about ratcheting up the stress in a subject to make them fearfull. If someone is expecting to die there is absolutely nothing you can do to them that they will fear.

Don't be an idiot, user.

Persuation, Intimidation does not make someone who finds the world an already hostile place change their mind.

You guys really don't get out much and it shows. Here's how you do it.

Persuasion:
"Think about what you love. Think about what could still be."

Intimidation:
"Think about the people you'll hurt. Think about the revenge you're never gonna get."

I'm a big fan of using all sorts of skills any way the player can think to try.
Hell, you can make Perform work if you try hard enough.
youtu.be/PiK8mGOowN4

I forget how this situation gets resolved

He gets down.

That's not how Intimidation works.

It would depend on the person. If you don't know who they are, it'd be a crapshoot.

Persuasion might work, but maybe they've heard it all before. Intimidation might work, but maybe they're doing this out of rebellion so it's just encouragement.

Persuasion:
"Think about what you love. Think about what could still be."

Intimidation:
"If you do it I'll jump as well. Then I'll track you down in hell and beat the shit out of you."

Persuasion makes it more likely to stick, and you'll probably feel more guilt if intimidation fails, since you may have inadvertently contributed to the problem instead of helping. In the former case, if you don't genuinely care about them enough to personally and forcefully stop them and help them with their problems, though, then it's probably better to let things run their course. You're condemning them to more of whatever drove them to that point with no reprieve or chance of salvation otherwise.

Intimidation actually works in settings with necromancy and tangible souls and shit. "If you do this, I'll just raise you and punish your soul for being a fucking retard, capice?"

I really like necromancer vigilantes who fight for something resembling good.

Even a cleric could do this.

"If you jump and die, i'll just revive you and all the pain of dying will have been meaningless"

>be it in self harm (like jumping from a bridge)
Persuasion
>or by others (menacing a place or the local authorities)
Intimidation

I think people would be pissed if a cleric used a high level miracle to ressurect 'an hero'.

Actually(in D&D at least) the soul has to be willing to come back for a resurrection to be successful, precisely to prevent shit like this from happening.

They also learn your identity and alignment at the time before the resurrection, like caller ID.

Well if the threat works, he wouldn't need to.

what is your alignment?

Good, but I'm a fighter so I'm better at intimidation.

I was thinking of saying something to scare a NPC into not suiciding, since I didn't invest in persuasion and the charismatic character isn't on the scene.

"be certain you'll die, or else i'll make you really wish you were dead"

Yeah.

It will be a bit mean, but if it saves his life then I can later make up.

Use bluff
Tell them life is worth living

>use intimidation to stop someone suicidal
I've had a related autism somewhere around, let me check real quick.

There we go, found it.

Bluff could work too.

"Nah mate, falling from that height you would just break your legs which would be super annoying, get down and I'll show you a better way of doing it"

>no no let me go first and show you how it's done
:^)

>hold my beer