MAGIC ITEM IDEAS

youtube.com/watch?v=yz5rDb7-kLk

Need some ideas for some neat magic items for the 5e game I'm currently running. I'm taking them through the Lost Mines of Phandelver, which gets them to lvl 5, then we're kinda winging it.

Lemme see some weird shit!

Cadbury Scream Egg
>looks like a normal chicken's egg, but when smashed releases a bloodcurdling scream. Good for distractions, decoys, and the occasional intimidation check if used properly

The Twitter Staff
The user adds their charisma modifier to try to convince an enemy to kill itself. Basically the same as the bard spell Vicious Mockery

Rock'em Sock'em Boopers

+2 gloves that inflate when you try to make an unarmed strike. Does only nonlethal damage unless you strike them in the face (crit)

A battleaxe that gains an auto-crit If you burn a 1st lvl or higher holy spell into it

One of my favorites from the Adventure Zone was the Ring of the Grammarian

Once per day you can alter a LETTER in the name of a spell in order to change its effect. For example, if you altered "Cause Fear" you could make it "Cause Bear" and shoot a fucking grizzly out of your palm

Ring of Elements

Once per day, it will randomly change the damage type that your weapon outputs for a battle, so instead of doing piercing damage, your axe does necrotic damage.

Eyes of Goo'guhlie
>Contact lenses that make your eyes look in different directions. they increase success rate of perception or investigation checks, but lower success rate of intimidation or deception checks

This is great. I would worry someone tries to wish for shit.

>Casting lvl 8 "Wish"
>changed to lvl 8 "fish"
>have to fight CR8 sea monster

The Facebook
An enchanted book with charges of the spell Disguise Self. It creates a perfect disguise, but it has to be someone you've seen before. When you see someone new, their face is magically added to the book

>Detect Magic
>Switch to Defect Magic
>Get a counter-spell for a lvl 1 slot

A sentient sword that only holds the sentience of the last creature slain. Kill a hobo, hobo sword, kill a dragon with your hobosword now it's a dragon sword.

More like
>It always fail when you try and cast it

Used with "Create Fire" cantrip, you always can pay for transport...

Apples of the Hipster:
These magical communication devices allow the user to talk with the possessors of other similar items.
They gradually become less "hip", requiring a Will saving throw to avoid replacing it with the "latest updated model" at an exorbitant price.

Use with mend to send common items.

Bump

Javelin of Always returning.

Basically when you pick it up it's stuck by a curse to that hand. Throw it and it comes back. Only way to remove it is by cutting off hand or remove curse by a 7th level caster

I really like this if you can't switch weapons easily, so you're encouraged to only fight strong enemies and not bother with small fry etc.

Gamblers coin.
An enchanted coin that only lands on the side opposite of what you called when you flipped it.
You can flip it all day, but you'll never call it right.