TCG general

Story Edition!
Got a funny ass story about some loser raging over a children's card game? POST IT!
(Green text is always the best!)

LAST TIME ON /tcg/: incase you ever wanted to know what there is here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collectible_card_games

Wanna talk to a bunch of nerds at once?
Here: discord.gg/MEGakH3 (currently 6 people in it.)

>What's your main TCGs
>How many have you played?
>What do you wish came back?
>What do you wish had a game?
>If you've played Pokemon, have you got any scholarship money?

As for me:
Does anyone else play Dice Masters on and off?

MtG, VtES
like three dozens
punk metal
Requiem: Chevalier Vampire
I don't understand the question.

Pokemon will grant you a scholarship if you play long and hard enough

Not raging, just metagaming:

> Fondles the cards he wants you to target

I wanted to ask him often that worked.

My metagaming was to straight up ask people if they had a specific card in their hand; I could usually tell by their reaction. Quit gaming around that time, so couldn't push it, or ask / have a judge called on me.

>What's your main TCGs
Magic and Wixoss
Collected and played 10, probably took a few more for a test run.
A revisit of the Magi-Nation concept maybe.
A character driven dueling game not tied to an existing property (DBZ, Touhou, Capcon VS SNK, or YYH to name a few), or at least allowed to expand past it.
No

Recommend me some music, and maybe a card game (or card game idea). I like trying new things.

I think I got the idea from an user a while back, but I always wondered how far I could push the Pony Tilt. MLP shirt, deck sleeves, matching hat and pants, playmat, and accompanying plush or portable toy. Just try to be as blatantly visually annoying to the basic nerd as possible.

I already sleeve my stuff in animu (though 95% you could show your parents without any question), but I really want to see how far I could push a nonissue.

Have you tried the lofi hip hop live station on youtube?
Or better yet
youtube.com/newretrowave shit's lit senpai

My brother and I used to play mtg a lot and whenever the other person played a good card or removed or countered something we'd just cuss each other out call each other faggots and queers and even calling each other jew and kike sometimes (neither of us are Jewish). Sometimes our dad would be showering while we played and he would hear us calling each other cocksucker fags and would be mad at us. But like 90 percent of our games are us shitttalking like 13 year olds despite us being in our 20s now.

RSO guy from yesterday, just showed one user how to play. Let me know if anyone else wants a game.

Definitely in the future. Tomorrow or Friday would be good if you're around. I'm so far pretty surprise at how they managed to make each character's playstyle fit them.

Will give that a shot next time it cycles in on my YouTube feed. It's popped in from time to time.

Tomorrow is fine by me.

I just watched the videos for Dragonborn. Weird die mechanics aside, the game looks like Bushiroad added their standard burst mechanic to L5R, and then sped up L5R to not need a second deck. Not a bad thing in concept, since what I disliked about L5R was its slow start, but it seems like basic gameplay is pretty loaded with mechanics.

Also, is it just me or do the cards look big?

Nice

I'll be hanging out in the discord in the OP.

>FnM
>Drafting
>one guy in our draft does a 2/5 peter from family guy impression over his last pick on last pack
>we all kinda chuckle while we go about deck building
>literally the rest of the draft he continues the impression, even introducing himself a Peter Griffon
>I have never been so happy to 3-0 someone
>I wasn't even nice about it
>When the judge set the card down in front of us for scoring his name was Roger Rogerson
>I'm sorry bro, I didn't know your whole senpai was special needs, my bad

For anyone who was curious: He roasted my birds. I also still want to get some games of Wixoss with fellow anons.

>join a new MTG group at lgs in new town
>Used to play competitively but haven't in years
>Usual bunch of 'that guy' no name wannabe pros
>Whatever just playing limited after work to chill
>One guys cool at least , good player , chat about life, old tournament stories, crack jokes, always friendly and chirpy
>He usually always beats me, but I manage to take a match from him as I'd been practicing a lot
>He flips out, starts autistically screeching about luck and me using shit cards
>loudly bitches about how much of a lucky shit I am for the rest of the evening.
>Realise he was only cool because he thought I was an easy win
>Stop playing magic.
>Community is literally cancer

Welcome to every CCG community have fun.
Never treat players as your friends and never fall into the "team" meme.

>What's your main TCGs
Pokemon, FFTCG
Have played some Weiss Schwarz and Vanguard alongside the above
The hot girls my age who used to play
Shin Megami Tensei
No, the Pokemon community is fun at my lgs so I only pay casual

I love tcgs but guys s like him make me sad

Part of the reason I grab friends I already have and teach them games. Did meet some chill guys playing in Japan though. One guy was really patient with me as the judge tried to explain in a language I didn't understand that I was a retard and hadn't kept up with stack rulings.
Never quite ran into this problem, but I play mostly casual and got to lgs for sealed mostly. When playing with friends we'll sometimes get salty and bitch after our fourth mana screw, but that's it.

>Shin Megami Tensei
>a Devil Summoner game where you play civilians and demons to eat and gain more power, playing more power demons as you power grows
>a Persona game where your "land" are characters sharing a tarot, and as you play more matching characters you can access more powerful personas in that link
>a dungeon crawl game that acts like a deck builder converted to a TCG, balancing your deck so you can defeat monsters and gain resources, but also throw hard enough threats at your opponent
Yes to any and all of these things.

Always a fun event, the new player beating you. Good to show you can take a loss, and show them they're getting somewhere in understanding the game.
Showed Wixoss to a friend and he won. Please ignore the fact that I gave him my Midoriko-3 while I used a shifty blue mess.

Anywho, I'm still up for both later; stuck at work reading through RSO cards

I'm pretty sure every decently large FLGS has at least one That Guy. We had an autistic rager at ours. I was nice to him, because I try to be nice on principal. Since I was the only one who was nice to him, he latched onto me and started bugging me on instant messenger and stuff. Sorry, but I really don't want to play for fun with a guy who flips his shit anytime he loses, in practice games no less.

I did keep tolerating him in store. He let me borrow cards, which was nice (though to be clear not the reason I put up with him). Dude must have been making bank because he had basically everything (except friends).

>Always a fun event, the new player beating you. Good to show you can take a loss, and show them they're getting somewhere in understanding the game.
I actually won, that's the new player. I've lost most of my old deck files so I threw together one of my favorite characters from memory. I misbuilt it a bit but it still worked.

Deck building in this game is weird, so it takes a little while to get the hang of it. Luckily the mechanics of the game are such that it's still fun to play even when losing, unless you play against a lockdown deck (looking at you, Kaguya).

Oh! Speaking of which, I remembered something I figured out/remembered from last night's game.

We were talking before the game about the number of spells in deck and you said you thought 19 might have been too many. I remember thinking that was wrong but not knowing why. Now I remember. Presumably you're saying that because you're calculating on the basis of activating a spell per turn plus maybe playing a card. But that's not really your goal for most characters. Generally speaking as the game goes on you're aiming to activate two spells a turn - one for attack, one for intercept.

I'm going to put together a more "normal" deck for next time. While Mokou is fun she is not very good at teaching tempo.

From the cards I've read, I can see control being particularly annoying in his game. A lot of the characters seem to have some Voltron or combo aspect that turns their mediocre/low cost spells into viable threats later on. Reliably being able to shut down or remove pieces, or deprive energy seems brutal.

First impression I got from the example decks on dulst, 20-24 seemed the normal spell amount assuming 15ish support/events allowed your ram strategy to be effective. Is that right?

Disruption isn't super common - it exists but a lot of characters just don't have any. Those that do usually have 1 or 2 cards, meaning they'll have difficulty keeping you off voltron pieces forever, especially if you play some means of redundancy. Mostly disruption exists to slow down the opponent while you execute your own game plan, aggro-control style.

SP drain, while thankfully more or less restrained to Kaguya, is super annoying, for obvious reasons.

>First impression I got from the example decks on dulst, 20-24 seemed the normal spell amount assuming 15ish support/events allowed your ram strategy to be effective. Is that right?
Not sure what you mean by ram strategy but sounds about right.

shouldn't he be using a gameboy pad?

>ram
Don't know how that word got in there.

Yeah. The Voltron characters I've read up on so far all have recovery or fetch cards, so that seems about right.

I liked Reimu's defensive/disruptive style. The eastern magic users in Aquarian Age has the same defensive anti-magic thing going on, which I liked. Maybe it's a Japanese trope?

>>What's your main TCGs
None at the moment. I dabble in EDH but that's it.
>>How many have you played?
A handful
>>What do you wish came back?
Force Of Will. I wanted it to actually survive, but everyone had to get asshurt about BahaBlast and then R/R.
>>What do you wish had a game?
Dunno. I'm good for anything anime since it produces art I actually like to look at. A TCG with a proper fantasy setting wouldn't be bad either, not this MtG bullshit of pseudo fantasy.

She's basically a priestess. Holy folk are cursebreakers pretty much everywhere.

I like the possibilities involved with Magic's setting. Places like Mirroden were pretty distinct. Ravnica and Kamigawa had a distinct look to them, and even more contemporary/pseudo fantasy planes like Zendikar held up artistically.

A main issue I think with a full-fantasy competitor to Magic would be that they'd be directly compared to Magic no matter what they try, which is a bad thing. DnD fantasy basic? Magic did it. Swashbuckling, urban, or pulp fantasy? Magic. Grim fantasy? Magic. Asian fantasy? The Gathering. And until recently, they probably did it with a higher polish and budget. Negative comparisons don't make for good marketing.

Not to be a huge downer; I'd love another card game to test the waters.

depending on where you go, force of will continues. I live in that fantastical place that actually seems to exist: The one where FoW beats out Magic. Reason seems to be that magic just priced out all the potential players.

Hey, home now. Hit me up in the discord when you want to play, screen name is Frollo.

>Holy folk are cursebreakers
Well, that and be doctors in many. Doctors are considered protectors too, but that's perhaps a bit tenuous of a link. Doctor was also somebody else, I believe.

I've heard it survives in other places but down in the southeast it's magic, yugioh, pokemon, or gtfo.

I do like their idea of the new tcg "Architect" from the same company. League of extraordinary gentlemen: the anime card game. Doubt it will gain any traction though so I'm hesitant.

Nothing can gain traction as long as MtG has a stranglehold on the market. I buy trial decks for every card game and learn them though, because they're fun conversation pieces but acknowledge that none of them will ever be popular regardless of here or elsewhere. That's what I'll do with Architect.

>What's your main TCGs
Played Pokemon as a child, moved to YGO as a teen and then MtG in college. It's been a long time since I've played a card game, though.
A decent amount, pretty much whatever my friends/coworkers were into at the time.
TCG related, probably the Theros block. It was the only time I played semi-competitively and I miss it.
A good Digimon game.
I played pokemon when I was probably 6 and I guarantee I didn't even play it right.

I've been wanting to get into a tcg again, if only to collect the cards. I'm staying away from magic/ygo because of how expensive it can get, and a lot of other card games are pretty niche and hard to find where I live. Is Pokemon a good option? I'm looking for something a little more laid back, that doesn't break the bank if I decide to collect a whole set.

Pokémon just introduced not only a new rarity but our sets are becoming bloated with secrets and ultra rares. If you're going to collect, start with something older. The price difference between staples and binder fodder is huge. A recent card maxes out at $60 at Secret Rare, and $30 for its regular print.

That's unfortunate to hear, a lot of the new cards look fantastic. I assumed that it'd be backwards, with the older cards costing more to collect. Do you know offhand which sets would be good to start with?

!

!!

?!

I signed up to get copies of the half-decks for the new Dragon Ball TCG a while ago and they finally came today.

Tried Rumbling Spell Orchestra with an user yesterday. Slower than I imagined it would be, but no doubt some of that was the fact that it was my first time playing and reading/rereading cards in Lackey can be a chore. Mostly got stomped, but it's a cool idea I'd like to try out some more sometime.

>Magic introduced Mythic, and then Masterpieces
>Pokemon added more rarities

That's the shitty thing about Japanese games is their tendency to have a stupid variety of rarities. From what I heard, FoW's other rarities were just blinged out versions of normal rares, which seems a more consumer-friendly solution to hiding your best cards behind probability and price walls. But now I'm being idealistic.

I try some games, knowing the same thing. There also isn't much demand for another strong game.

>Super Saiyan God Son Goku
That hurts to read. That aside, is it anything like the old game?