/csg/ - Chess General

Bogo-Indian edition

Other urls found in this thread:

wtharvey.com/e11.html
es.chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html
lichess.org/training/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Bogo-Indian is a good opening for club players, but it's not seen often at the IM/GM level because of its much greater simplicity compared with the Nimzo-Indian or the Queen's Indian Defense. The rapid disappearance of Black's dark squared bishop is a disadvantage for him.

Veeky Forums chess is back?

Yeh but there's a guy who worships Bill Wall and promotes the use of shitty novelty openings.

It's called the trickle down effect. If GMs don't use a particular opening because they decide that it offers no advantage or gives you a positional weakness, then amateurs won't play it either.

So all the club players of course play Sicilian and Ruy Lopez just like the big boys, but not stuff like the Center Game or Bogo-Indian Defense.

bump

ded gaem

is b1-c3 is a good turn here?

t. retard

4. Nd2 is better than 4. Nc3 because 4...Bxc3 bxc3 leaves you with a weakened double c pawn.

I noticed that the world championship match last year had mostly e4 openings and no d4 stuff except Queen's Gambit Declined, interesting was the total absence of any Indian Defenses. I guess tastes change with the times, in Karpov's heyday it was just Indian Defenses all day every day.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5

Cheap and unsportsmanlike, but not refutable.

Famously called a "duffer's move" by Tarrasch.

Bd2 is better than either, since you avoid blocking the bishop when you try to avoid a pawn weakness.

This tends to happen frequently in the Nimzo-Indian anyway, Black takes the knight on c3, White recaptures with the b pawn, and gets a weakened double pawn, however Black also loses his bishop pair.

Why is Magnus Carlsen doing so badly all of a sudden?

His computer with Stockfish on it probably broke and he can't cheat now.

I could probably kick that little weener's ass.

You can´t compare it to Nimzo, this is precisely what you do when white doesn´t allow Nimzo. You need to compare it with 3... b6.
So Nimzoindian players need something else against 3.Nf3:
- Queen´s Indian, which is pretty solid, but not dangerous for white
- Bogoindian, which is pretty simple and can transpose to Nimzo lines
- Benoni, aggressive but risky if you reapeat it too much
- Queen´s pawn defenses, but you can do that against 3.Nc3 too, so why would you play Nimzo in first time?

I would say it´s just a matter of style. Anyway, once you played 2.e6, you can´t play Grünfeld, so I guess black doesn´t care about playing sub-optimal.

>but not refutable
Well, you are forcing black to make good moves and get an equal position (if not slightly better for black).
It may be not be refutable, but neither is 1.a3 and I don´t see many MIs playing it.

I have found some bogotactics, here you got source with solutions:
wtharvey.com/e11.html

>Newfag in terms of chess
I know all the rules, but how does one go about learning proper tactics, and eventually strategies?

>and eventually strategies
Chess is tactics. Strategy is the name humans give to profound invisible tactics.
For example, you can´t see 40 moves forward, but you know that an isolated pawn can be very weak and fall under pressure, even if you can´t see exactly how.

The point is, strategy is not necessary, at least not until MI level. Focus on tactics, all kind of tactics and specially endgame tactics. Start being familiar with the themes, then learn to look for them before they happen, to create them.

Chesstempo is a good site for this, and also a lot of online playing sites can offer you adaptated training.
es.chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html
lichess.org/training/

I'll take a look, thanks!

It's all about pawn structure at the end of the day, that determines the course of a game.

The Bogo-Indian seems to lead to an awfully high amount of draws.

>Queen´s Indian, which is pretty solid, but not dangerous for white

The Queen's Indian was huge in the 70s-80s and every major tournament featured it, but it's lost popularity today.