Recasts and Chinahammer

According to many Anons, it appears that the ghost of Chairman Mao has upped his recast game for Geedubs miniatures, and people are increasingly opting to buy recasts rather than actual GW plastic crack.

What is your experience with recasts? How often do you splurge on actual GW product?

Other urls found in this thread:

coolminiornot.com/
pastebin.com/M12Xi3yK
mega.nz/#F!hEUhGZAD!Mqx_Xc2wNqdnLwVMMvijxg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've heard a lot of success stories with anons buying chinacast. I've also heard just about the same amount of stories of anons getting burned by it. Months waiting and no product, getting scammed, shit quality on delivery, etc.

It's too much of a risk imo.

> Ghost of Chairman Mao
> Implying Mao would be complicit in transforming his country into the West's repository for cheap plastic toys
> Implying Mao isn't rolling in his grave fast enough enough to power all of China

I bought some mk.iv jump packs from a chinaman and the quality was merely okay. A little muddy in the recesses but not significant worse than some stuff I've actually gotten from Forge World, especially on older, more popular molds.

The biggest problem was the shrinkage, the bits are noticeably smaller than their authentic counterparts. Shouldn't stand out too badly on the tabletop but side by side, there's a difference.

Op and his shill thread.

Heres a question for you:
If good times create tyrants and hard times create heros, then why is china so full of tyrants?

Five or six years ago I bought a bunch of recast forgeworld from a Chinaman. Excellent quality, and the few mistakes that there were I just puttied up (because I am, in fact, a modeler.)
Recasters are the only way this hobby will survive.

China is full of tyrannids? We're fucked.

If he is, they'll probably find a way to monetize it.

Because modern China isn't good times.

Fucking Deng "reformed" the economy to allow for all sorts of gilded age bullshit.
It's basically a police state run by megacorps and the Party.

>it costs less money to pay for shipping from china for a handmade process than it costs to buy something made through automation in England

Comrade?

One of those things has health and safety.

GW are price gouging yes, but that's hardly surprising.

GW have to pay
>Design Studios to create concepts (not as well as before when it was fully staffed, but you get me)
>moldmakers, factory workers and distributors for GW plastics
>seperate FW Studio
>people to cast FW resin by hand still
>full support network of a FTSE250 company with hundreds of stores, accounts & legal departments, HR etc.
>all of these workers have holiday pay, sick pay, maternity/paternity pay etc., get training days at Lenton HQ and all that

Chinaman
>two guys in a shed
>chinese postage is cheap and weight is cumulative, so 100 packages of 1kg is a similar price to one 100kg package, instead of there being a minimum cost each time

Recasts work for shit like 40k. They suck for high quality stuff like KDM or Infinity though.

I'm not paying $50 for 12 guys you shill.

Personally i buy recast if the original model is either forgeworld or finecast.

For everything else i get the real deal in order to support the hobby. But i'm sure as hell not paying 100 euros for a model which could have the same problems as the recasted one.

Supporting GW is worse than supporting Hitler.

I'd play Nazis in bolt action so I don't get your analogy.

doesnt deny the fact GW is being a jew

>70$ for centurions

pic related they're recasts I bought for 23$

I've bought a decent amount and have been happy. Recasts are generally made out of resin, so they aren't as easy to work with as plastic kits. You will need to do some extra work as well to keep everything in ship shape. You do save a ton of money though, and once paint is put on the models you can't tell the difference.. With recasts of resin kits the quality isn't going to be much worse.

I work in injection moulding in the UK.

An item the size of a miniature has a production cost of a couple cents.

Even considering machine and mould depreciation, it's not any higher than £0.2

That's the one thing about recasts that keep me away. I fucking hate working with resin.

I buy recasts for smallish models which are expensive as hell, or limited edition/no longer available. I have done six plus orders with the same industrious chinaman, and I only had an issue once.

One thing I ordered was not in the package, but then I checked my email: I accidentally had a typo which means I ordered what was packed, not what I wanted. So in the end it was my fault.

I had the opposite, he cut off a digit and I got a DKK Commissar instead of a Tau R'Varna.

He offered to send it in a later batch but I haven't ordered in a while so I had him refund me just for that. So that was fine.

Probably for the best given how Riptides are looking...

>Forgeries
>the only way the hobby will survive.
Good luck getting forgeries when the original companies are all put out of business. retard

I just picked up a chinacast character, super shit, bubbles everywhere

Back when they were still chinacasting metal I picked up a couple really good things

The forged molds still would exist and if they so priced themselves out then there's no sympathy coming from my end.
Retard.

>Recasters are the only way this hobby will survive.

>don't make new models
>don't give reasons for new people to join the hobby
>don't run warhammertv or in store lessons
>don't write new rules
>aren't widely available
>no advertising

yes, truly the chinaman who steals resin from the factory to make nightrun knock offs is the hero we need

nevermind that if the parent companies go belly up there won't be anyone buying new resin for these dumb gooks to put into molds.

I know it's bait but there is countless reasons why chinese recasts don't cost money, it's because the chinamen don't pay any capital to start the process

For one GW buys printing machines and moldmaking machines. They own several multi-million dollar machines, which also have maintenance etc etc

In china they just piggy back off the factory when the foreman isn't looking to make their illegal copies

>itt people who don't understand economics

the lost sales of people buying from recasters don't actually exist - those people would have just opted not to buy minis instead of forking out for a price that's been set above what they're willing to pay. The whole thing is a natural outgrowth of prices being too high.

>if the real company can't afford to pay its workers $0 then I have no sympathy

what?

Hi, you're wrong.
Go back to suckling on jewshop's cock.
Also in this category is lord of the rings before the hobbit, since it was barely advertised or supported for over 5 years.

we understand economics, but this retard somehow believes the fate of the hobby rests on the shoulders of china

Still they are the creators of my favourite hobby. I can save money and buy one box when i feel like it, so why not? I refuse to buy defective products though, or pay an insane amount of money for shitty resin. Last week i ordered 250€ of stuff (only one small forgeworld model) and i spent 85€ shipped. I bought the new rulebook and the index with part of the money i saved.

bloodbowl had a HUGE spike in popularity with GW's re-release and advertising

so I don't know why you're salty?

If you're so stupidly overcosted that ordering from a bootlegger in China is worth the time and possible shit quality then you've only got yourself to blame.
I'd happily pay $35 for 40 guys like many a historical company does, or even $25 for 12. But $90 for one squad of 10 is bananas.

>multi-million dollar machines

A moulding machine ranges from approx £30000 to £300000.

Given the size and yearly volumes of GW stuff, i would say theirs are probably in the £50000-£100000 range

I'm not salty, just telling you that games survive based on the community. Company support can easily reinforce or shatter said community.
Imagine 40k went to playing like War of the Ring and how that'd go down.

so you'd be happy with nothing new? just the same stuff for decades before the molds become unusable? fucking shortsighted asshole

it did, it was called apocalypse.

The only shortsighted one is he who is too vapid to grow the game within their own community.
Even if you end up getting something like the 9th age out of it, and there will always be manufacturers.

I doubt Apocalypse used movement trays, removed hitting altogether, and used characters as unit buffers.
Last time I played apoc Ghazkull's rok email boys landed on my own green tide and wiped my army off the map in one turn.

not if you buy all your stuff forged from china. i'm not understanding how someone is so thick to not understand this.

If the basic cost for entry is that fucking high you bet your used gaping ass I'm buying from china.

Could some user post pics of recasts they've gotten?

Also how do you find them? Everywhere i've looked says they only deal through direct emails and shit

I have only played 4th ed 40k, Battlefleet Gothic, 6th edition Warhammer fantasy since those games were released, in so far as GW games.

I neither need nor want more. I don't even want 5th ed, despite loving the idea of Daemons as a list.

>Original company dies
>HUR DUR THEN CHINA WILL STOP SELLING MODELS AS IF BY MAGIC!

Nah, they'll just sell them in more accessible ways thanks to a lack of legal bullshit, at least on the current level.

ebay, aliexpress, I have a couple I bought from and then they sent an email invite to separate sites they'd set up.

will do anything not to buy GW miniatures

I only have two emails (if some user wants to share, well, thank you).
The question is, anyway, what's better? Z or Alpharius?

People keep talking about this but all the recast stuff I've gotten has been exactly the right size.

I miss their dioramas and fun models.

I don't know what to tell you, brocephus. The jump packs were small.

>What is your experience with recasts?

I make shitty Brass miniatures using a homemade Arc Furnace.

I would not have bothered with recasts if the original prices were not that high.

For example a single squad of death korps is 43 pounds without shipping in forgeworld . Add 15 percent shipping charge and it is now 49.45. rounded to 50 pounds.

50 pounds for 10 guys, is a very high price.
The chinaman prices vary but they sell the same for about 20 pounds with shipping . That is 60 percent cheaper.

In that case i would by from the chinaman.
But lets put a new scenario where fw reduced its prices to china levels and china reduced the prices at the same percent.
20 pounds for a squad of dkks and 12 pounds for china. Now the price difference does not look that big to the eyes and since the original price is not that steep i would buy the originals to support content that i like.

tl,dr: gw is shooting itself in the foot by high prices.

As for the recasters quality question it varies greatly but you can find out which ones are the best by searching easily. The best way to do that is only buy from those which are recommended as great by others.

avoid z like plauge.
It has such a horrible quality and so bad resin that you cant even fix some parts even with hot water method.

That guy was a /po legend - that isn't even a third of his shit.

Also he apparently preferred his stuff in black and white, if I remember correctly.

Thank you.
I heard that CCON (or whatever it's name is) has a pretty good quality but I don't have the means to contact it

I will give you a clue to find it out.
coolminiornot.com/

That's pretty epic.

Did he share files of his shit?

Anyone know who recasts lord of the ring stuff?
So much of that range is oop, not even listed as out of stock but just gone.
The hasharin, mahud king, haradrim king, fuck even the original Thranduil.

Intriguing...
I don't know what to look for though.
I thought CMON was just to showcase painted models?

Are you a GW narc?

I like the idea of recasting, but I'm stupid and don't know where to go - and even if I did, who knows if they'd sell what I want?

I wish. I probably would have a discount on their miniatures.
But no, no. If you are feeling generous, I have a throwaway: [email protected] :)

Which just refreshed lol. It's [email protected]
Sorry

You can try it yourself with greenstuff and bluestuff.
Just don't expect to get it right the first 30 times.

They're just the Russian papercraft files:

pastebin.com/M12Xi3yK

I had to pastebin because over zealous spam filter just would not have that russian Facebook link in any damned form.

My local HH group started with recasts because before plastics that was the only way to grow a community without spending a fortune. We still buy recasts because picture related, but we do group buys from FW whenever they come out with new books or transfers/dice.

I wonder what it would look like if someone tried to sandcast an entire warhound titan out of alluminum.

$6 from a recaster vs. $45 from GW. Probably required less clean up than the original too.

The one thing I never understood about recast is why not just proxy something? The only time you actually need GW models is if you want to play in a GW store, and even then that's not a hard and fast rule.

Because other players and the shop owner will tell you to fuck off with that shit.

Would take forever

You'd have to build all the patterns first, making sure they have no undercuts and aren't too large - because you need to pour more aluminium than the casting to account for shrinkage.

You'd probably have to either heavily modify the original model to make it possible, or scratch build/print a Warhound with sand casting in mind.

Thanks. Much appreciated m8.

user? ;_;

how do you get in contact with recasters?

i need a bunch of terminators

start with google.

Which is useful for models I do have, but not models I don't, unfortunately.

Bought some Battlefleet Gothic stuff from Alieexpress. Gw took them down though and I don't know where to find them nowadays.

The models were great. Painted really nice and were not that expensive.

mega.nz/#F!hEUhGZAD!Mqx_Xc2wNqdnLwVMMvijxg

I bought a large box of china recasts. My experience was good, but there were flaws. Some models were marvelous, absolutely indistinquishable from forgeworld, etc. A handful were unusuable, and one had a missing head.

You save money but keep in mind you run some risks, must wait a long time (2 months) and washing them takes time and you'll have ot be willing to greenstuff some errors.

Hey my caster from aliexpress is on that list!

A lot of casters from Aliexpress who got shutdown move to doing direct orders via email. That way GW can't do anything about them.

This. It's always a crapshoot with recasters, but certain sellers are better than others. I've never had a bad experience, but for those buying for the first time, be aware that you're looking at about a month of wait time.

>Hitler Youth models

You know, I play BA, as Japan for that matter, and someone slapping Hitler Youth models down on the table just makes my skin crawl. It would be like me throwing down Korean forced labourers armed with rifles. Hell, if they ever do an Operation Downfall book (which given they've done Sealion is entirely plausible) I'd be fully justified in deploying 15 year old schoolgirls armed with bamboo spears and bows and arrows. Just because something existed in the real world doesn't mean you should be actually using it on the tabletop.

Triggered much?

I bought Gutrot Spume among some other things from Z, and didn't get to go through my package till months later. He was missing his head. Not sure what I can do in this circumstance, unfortunately. Too much time has passed I doubt he'll send me a head and his english is so bad anyway.

That ratio of good to fucked sounds better than GW and forgeworld quality control.

I've never bought forgeworld so I wouldn't know.. Never really delt wiht resin either, Im new to this hobby. Among my set was some missing parts, great unclean one's sword was warped pretty bad, my deathshroud terminators legs were all heavily mold slipped, and some minor problems here and there. Overall I got a damngood bargain.

I'd love Korean schoolgirls armed with bamboo spears and bows and arrows.

Oh yeah, alot of broken shit too. Mostly knives. Old style plague marines holding their knifes, half of the knives were broken off. Fixable but abit annoying.

>buy finecast
>bubbles, loss of detail, and bent weapon
I miss pewter.

Honestly, this just sounds like a conversionfags dream. Good models cheap as shit and it doesn't matter that they are flawed, because they were going to be hacked up and sculpted on anyway.

It is. Especially as many recasters throw in extra bits and sell all sorts of individual bits as well. I got enough parts in my Daemon Prince kit to make two of the suckers.

Wtf man take that down

why? calm down

WHY? fuck you, child. this is why nothing gold can stay

The nips were much more savage than the hitler youth you fucking weeb.