So

So.
How bad are the issues produced by two races living near each other, but having occasionally non-compatable diets?
Like, if you drink a third of the things on their menu, you will die horribly of writhing poison.
I'm basically trying to think of the actual consequences of the hundreds of food poisoning incidents that being friends with a thing like dwarves would cause.

Only problematic through first contact. After a few months people would figure shit out.

Alternatively, it'd be shit like the classic "dwarves eat rocks" scenario, where the diets are SO non-compatible it's played for laughs.

Mass Effect had something like this.... I think turians could not eat the same things as humans/Asari due to horriabe blood dirieea

Turians and Quarians would both die horrifically if they ate Human compatible food and vice versa. Which makes the Garrus / Tali romance paths all the more strange.

Actually, this might make relations ever better, as it means they aren't competing for the same food resources.

> Dwarves eat rocks
So in this case, the dwarves would probably get on much better with their human neighbours than fellow dwarves, seeing as those humans aren't interested in food-rocks that other dwarves might be motivated to invade them for

It'd be like allergies on steroids, but once the groups got to know each other it'd be a matter of making sure there is proper warnings on everything.

Mass Effect 2 was science fantasy instead of science fiction and they added those romances to pander to their stupid fanbase.

If you're lucky then the other species eats your own's industrial waste

>play Femshep
>romance Garrus
>Mordin tells you not to swallow
Comedy gold.

Every restaurant menu and street vendor would have indicators next to each dish indicating what's good for race X and what's good for race Y. They would have legal text somewhere visible saying they're not liable for people poisoning themselves. Chefs would have to be more careful in the kitchen if food for both races was served or prepared close-by. Every food vendor would have several kinds of antitoxin handy and would charge the customer significantly if they had to save their fool ass.

See, I'm worried that even with EXPLICIT WARNING LABELS AND MASS LITERACY, people still drink poison shit on the daily. It would be so much worse in a fantasy setting.

Unless it would get you high, I doubt anyone would be scarfing down the fantasy version of rat poison.

caveat emptor

Never underestimate people's willingness to drink things they find under the sink.

I imagine a few sets of menus would be made for compatible foods, and kitchens that might cater to several species would have to have special kitchens to keep it all apart.

Some restaurants might work out how to create a species-neutral menu that all species can eat at, which would mean many menu items would be similar among restaurants in cross-species trading hubs. It'd be like a restaurant making everything free of nuts and other common allergens so their customers don't start suffocating.

And, of course, peoples would have to become knowledgeable in their foodstuffs and what's good to eat and what's bad. This would also help with a species-neutral menu because if you're ever unsure of anything, you can always trust the usual.

Now, if this is a fantasy setting, I can imagine amulets of poison protection or other would be very sought after trinkets. The ability to eat anything and not suffer the ill effects of it would be great for a member of a species who can't eat a lot of common stuff in other places, and as a side bonus they can't be poisoned.

>Turians and Quarians would both die horrifically if they ate Human compatible food and vice versa

Which is also bullshit because instead of just saying that our food is toxic they went with the chirality explanation, which is a gigantic case of trying to be scientific and missing the point, as molecules with a wrong chirality would just be inedible or causa an allergic reaction at worst.

As long as people is not retarded and isn't a first contact situation, this should actually be a good thing not a bad one. You have a group of population that can work for and defend the settlement while not consuming food. It's even better if what they eat is relatively common or useless.

Probably lessened compared to compatible diets.

As they would have a history of not competing for the same resources.

Now, when it comes to diplomacy, there could be an issue if either has a hospitality taboo about refusing the offerings of a host.

A culture that has developed along this creatures with strange bad habits probably doesn't have that taboo, or accepts that the creatures are an exception. Maybe the creatures ritually accept the food without actually eating it.

>The elf ritually rubs the roast beef sandwich on his face before proclaiming
>Mmmm, mmm! Tasty!

I mean, if Elves are weird plant creautes that don't actually have mouths and just photosynthesize, I could see that being considered 'polite'

This, pretty much. Mismatched chirality would be very unlikely to be highly toxic, more likely it would be relatively inert.

Though I'd note that in the case of Tuarians it's not JUST their chirality. Their bodies and diets incorporate heavy metals humans find toxic. You don't want to steal fries from a species that considers arsenic a table spice.

With exclusive food sources, reasons for conflict are reduced simply to "ownership" of land, rather than competition for actual resources.

Probably not that bad, on the whole.

Most of the times species that involve in the same environment will be able to, generally, eat the same things. They will have different enzymes however, and different foods (mostly plants) that they can and can't safely eat.

You might just have some things served on special plates. "Don't eat anything off a blue plate! That is for humans. Might have onions, chocolate, coffee, raisins, garlic or avocado in there. Might not kill you but you could be up all night throwing up."

AT first nasty, possibly. OMG YOU ARE TRYING TO KILL US

But once that passed? Pretty well. I mean, it reduces competition for resources.

Well, I was thinking about something more akin to treating the food like you treat a diplomatic gift. I mean, if the host offers you a pendant, flowers or whatever you're not gonna eat that.

Elves can't eat human sandwiches, but they developed a way to preserve them and keep them with valued jewels of the crown and other wonders.

Well if it's a place that sells both, then you can guess a few things based on the assumption people aren't completely fucking retarded.

>menu will note when food/etc. is incompatible and/or staff will be trained to prevent those issues
>kitchen staff will need to maintain sanitary conditions akin to someone with severe OCD
>could also just not sell incompatible food/etc. at all
>each race may find the scent of food to be nauseous or similar
>food markets would have to be segregated or (again) just not sell incompatible items

Take a look at what people have to do for other people with severe allergies. Then extrapolate it to virulent poison. Consider how the scent may be lethal, or at least damaging. Also consider how preparation may affect toxicity. A beer won't be very toxic but if you distill it into liqour, then you have something much stronger.

They did not die. If they eat human food it just passes through their system or causes some alergic reaction (lethal for the Quarians, maybe?).

I mean, it's even on the wiki.

Real world culture like the Hutu and Tutsi have come to blows simply because one was lactose intolerant and the other wasn't.

It would also make it INCREDIBLY EASY to hide assassination attempts as tragic accidents.

>CTRL+F with no reference to it
Really? I guess I'll be the one to say it then:

If you're culture meshing with Dwarves, you should be more worried about alcohol poisoning.

Things wouldn't be all too bad, just think of it as the same has how asians can't have dairy, or how in India everything is made of laxatives that only a racial perk can make you immune to.

>amulets of poison protection
excellent

Which reminds me of kids. It might not be uncommon for a child accidentally poisoning his friends by sharing candy, and so on.

>Actually, this might make relations ever better, as it means they aren't competing for the same food resources.

This is the more realistic answer if you're speaking of real world examples. The reason there are no other hominid species left is because we killed them all over resources.

Also you see this in various animal species that share similar environments and dietary needs. They compete over resources and are very aggressive toward one another, but if something comes along and provides them practically limitless resources (like a human that feeds them) then they'll all sit there and eat right next to each other. Skunks and Raccoons are a good example of this.

So, any two species that couldn't eat each other would probably have less to compete over and be more likely to have peaceful relations with one another. However, they'd still likely compete over things like metals, or at the very least land/space.

Labels on food and other stuff like that. People would figure it out pretty fast. Yeah, there will be some retards to try poison but they exist even in real life.

It's more than likely that anywhere these two races are both likely to be will operate on middle school peanut allergy rules, unless these incompatible ingredients are dietary/culinary requirements which are very difficult to replace or work around. In that case, I guess either catering as a career family gets a lot more training-intensive or both species just plain eat separately.

My girlfriend can't have dairy. I can't have soy. We seem to be able to make coffee without accidentally murdering each other. Is this a thinly veiled food allergy awareness thread on my Veeky Forums?

Fair enough, neither of us would die if we ate milk/soy, but the toilet would.

Hey, I'm interested in the social ramifications of pooooison.
From here, I will work out the ramifciations of a race that is super poison, and becomes a toxic gas hazard upon death. Otherwise relatively friendly, because not many things fuck with poison.

Is it fucked up that I picture fantasy settings with multiple diverse races living together functioning like a less aggro version of Jim Crow or Apartheid? Like, cities would be segregated for quality of life reasons rather than racist ones. Using standard D&D races, humans would have their bit, elves would have a different bit, dwarfs would have another, and so on. I mean, think about it, elves would be uncomfortable in buildings designed for dwarfs/gnomes while the latter would quickly get tired of living in a building where the shelves and tables are eye-level.

There's the aforementioned food issue as well. You'd have vendors/establishments that would outright refuse to serve certain types of creatures strictly because what they serve would kill them.

I do imagine that once medicine reaches a certain level having cross species doctors would be pretty smart. I mean, if your biology is different enough then its unlikely you'll be a vector for another species's diseases. A lizardman doctor could run around an ebola outbreak all day without worrying about catching it.

I could've sworn that Quarians could eat Turian food, assuming it was vegetarian, and was considered a delicacy because the Quarians don't really have a good food source like the Turians.

I know Krogan and Turian biology is highly incompatible, I assume it extends to their diets.

It's Quarians and Turians whom together can't share food with anyone else.

Other-species-aboos poisoning themselves like weebs trying to eat pufferfish

Do you have to be a weeb to want to try pufferfish?

I sort of want to eat pufferfish really bad based entirely on the premise that poison is delicious. It fucking is. Like, every spice we have was designed to be a "FUCK YOU GET AWAY" caustic or poisonous agent.

I'm just an adventurous eater and have little regard for my own life. I would love to roll those dice for the chance to eat something that few have tried.

I guess there are all-purpose daredevils and Wild Foods types