Watching a Parasite Eve playthrough and it got me to thinking how the presence of monsters would affect daily living

Watching a Parasite Eve playthrough and it got me to thinking how the presence of monsters would affect daily living.

I suppose the first answer would be to hunt them down to extinction but what if, for whatever reason they keep showing up even if you clear out an area of them and firebombing/nuking is out of the question.

What does the world (or, at the very least) the United States look like under this scenario?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/h_oGuUA2hgE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretty vague op

Where so the monsters come from?
How do they spawn?
Is this some stupid videogame logic, or is there reality buried in there somewhere?

Yes it is somewhat vague. I suppose the part I wanted to tackle was the fact that most answers will eventually boil down to DOTS or just nuke and firebomb everything out of existence.

I suppose RE would be better because in some way, shape or form there is always some group will to unleash a virus that mutates humans, animals and plants into monsters so there could be fall out in the form of areas that are literally no go zones because the local flora and fauna have been tainted so it has to be contained with the occasional mutant animal or plant either getting out or being smuggled out because reasons.

Are you asking what would happen if random encounters were real and could happen anytime? Like you just woke up in the middle of the night and a giant roach with buff arms jumped you in your own living room?

points of light would happen

Warhammer Fantasy.

Cities with walls
More security forces
Travels between cities are done in convoys

If you mean suddenly encountering monsters in the middle of a city, that's not possible.

Depending on how the monsters are spread I would imagine great lengths would be taken to protect valuable farmland, like literall guarded walls around prime real estate but backwoods village in bumfuck america would be advised to be abandoned or your on your own.

Rural villages would barricade the shit out of themselves and would take a keener interest in guns, archery, and body armor.
People would be closer to each other as you need your neighbors to watch your back and the need you to do the same.

Yeah but that would also mean they become more insuler and likely more prone to shoot first and ask questions later. I can imagine some town that gets to finally act the way they always wanted to especially when the govt tells you to get to a protected zone or yolo at your own peril.

The odds of someone actually wandering into their land by accident is slim given the countryside is full of monsters. They'd get in trouble if they began to just randomly kill people. Such as getting left to fend for themselves with an ever dwindling supply of ammunition.

Maybe if they couldn't buy from legit sources they might buy from criminal ones. Actually this reminds me of the game Red Markets where this idea is sort of a thing. Basically it's a post zombie apocolypse where large swathes of the US are basically no man's land and people out there are technically considered legally dead by what's left of the US government that's walled off a good chunk of the eastern seaboard

Random encounter style?

The average life expectancy drops by several magnitudes, but the average person becomes much more badass and fit to survive.

Opportunistic supply caravans seem like they would be a thing, assuming that the dorf forts small towns could specialize and have an export.

What kind of monsters do you have in mind?
Would they have any supernatural abilities, or would they essentially just be wild animals that go out of their way to attack humans for some reason?

Yes caravans to give people the means to live.
It doesn't even have to be black market, just entrepreneurs driven more by greed than by their love of their fellow man.
A little hiccup is that they can't count on the roads to be open or otherwise free of demons and they'd need to be armed to the teeth just to survive. So going into the even more difficult to traverse wilderness that also is probably hiding a lot more monsters and even worse is out of the question.

If going the biological horror route I would think animals that are beefier and have a hankering for bigger, easier game like human. Basically dire boars, bears, wolves along with predatory plants and insects. Whatever bio bullshit mutated them would probably completely change their physiology like giving insects lungs to skirt around the fact their bodies wouldn't really work on a larger scale etc. The fact they may or may not interbreed and turn who species over this way would be massive disconcerting. Imagine your out in the woods and suddenly you feel a pair of fangs dig into your leg and drag you down and you look to see eye giant eyes looking back at you.

My first thought would be that no one would actually go to the woods if such a thing happened, but then I realized keeping the forests away is going to be a top priority.

That would be the thing. You'd have to contend with the fact that you have a vastly more aggressive and dangerous sort of flora and fauna that will no doubt take over what's not settled by humans and can thus expand. Imagine seeing a stretch of highway where the grass is growing through the asphalt and creatures actively roam on it? You have to decide if you want to wade through that if flying isn't an option.

They'd just be eradicated.

Neolithic humans eradicated almost all of the megafauna they encountered with spears and torches.

Sure, we'd kill off whatever couldn't stop us. I suppose this gets into magical evolution territory but the situation i'm imagining is where flora and fauna can and do adapt to the presence of humans but of course I assume this scenario is completely impossible when it's only ever assumed "Naw we'd just eradicat it easy peasy" especially when there's no thought to possibly long term consequences of doing something like that among whatever other problems you can conjour up.

youtu.be/h_oGuUA2hgE

This is when you begin to verge into elementary school "nuh-uh" territory and discussion becomes pointless because the abilities of the subject are magical and unlimited.

Yes and? Obviously their not hopped up mutants with a taste for human blood

Wouldn't the discussion have ended with you saying that we'd simply eradicate it and be done with it?

That's a bit presumptuous of you I think

Hippos are literally the most dangerous wild animal on the planet and are incredibly tough and aggressive. Most of the enemies in the average resident evil game are less dangerous than a real life hippo.

>Wouldn't the discussion have ended with you saying that we'd simply eradicate it and be done with it?
No, because that was in response to "They're just normal animals but meaner". Anything resembling a normal animal is a non-threat to human civilization and could easily be exterminated by the most backward humans that exist.

When you invoke magical "evolution" that is not actually evolution at all you end up with a subject like The Thing which is essentially immune to death.

Which is why you should have come up with a better concept of what your "monsters" were before you started the thread.

>Obviously their not hopped up mutants with a taste for human blood
Please explain what "hopped up" even means and how having a taste for human blood would have helped that elephant out.

The roads have to be kept open, so militias would be more than welcome to go innawoods and butcher every single monstrosity they can.
Then again 8 foot tall werewolves massing over the horizon attacking in the dead of night would be a tall order for mere citizens with guns.

the whole point of the thread is a threat that can't be eradicated.
Like you can kill it, but you can't completely make it go extinct for whatever reason.

Basically, in the Parasite Eve universe, monsters come from the mitochondria inside eukaryotic organisms becoming sentient and taking control of the organism's evolution and adaptation to become a super-organism, potentially even gaining super-powers, like the ability to use ATP to cause air to burst into flames, direct bioelectricity away from the body, accelerate healing, and harness the earth's electromagnetic field to turn any firearm into a coilgun or give you a somewhat weak physical barrier. All of which is fairly sound - ish - speaking from a physics standpoint, but not that it comes from mitochondria.

If this happens to humans lots of crazy shit can happen, like the OP image, which, literally a handful of seconds prior looked like a normal person reading a magazine. Or the main character, who gains the superpowers I listed before.

How about just horrible things that the earth spawns in desolate places?
Awful things that are a llama with glowing red eyes one moment, the next the neck splits in two to reveal it's an extra set of limbs and the actual head rises with a single 12-nocular eyeball on a fleshy stalk and a mouth full of jagged.

Routine government sponsored convoys between cities / strategic points. Private convoys in between the gov schedule, convoys to smaller settlements are also arranged by private mercenary forces.
Routine government sweeps to remote regions to reduce the monster count.

Oh no, not some kind of fucked up llama!! Some rednecks get in their pickup trucks and shoot it to death for a trophy, if no rednecks are available game wardens do it instead. Stories about creatures like the beast of Gévaudan would be common and well documented.

It was an idea, like those /k/ skinwalker stories.
Then again in such a world pizza delivery boys would have to go out in pairs.
it's not a llama

You could probably run a pretty good game about a local government department who are responsible for getting rid of moderately threatening monsters that show up sporadically. That kind of world probably wouldn't be dramatically different from the modern world, but I'd expect people to be armed much more frequently, in particular while travelling.

Only if said werewolves are of the 'can only be killed with silver and wolfsbane' variety. otherwise high-powered rifles and similar dakka are enough.

>Science goes too far™
>Self-modifying organism meant for household utility
>Capable of modifying its body either ad hoc or following the DNA of its prey
>Even the relatively weak among them, the size of a medium dog, can take a bullet without immediately keeling over
>Anything bigger than a person needs heavy weapons or a fireteam's worth of saturation fire to take down
>Many of them have figured out how to warp their own physiology to give them physical, "superpowers," and to mimic power tools
>Things like biological chainsaws, overengineered cricket/grasshopper legs for insane hops and kicks, etc; things that work using standard macro physics
>Rarely one or two will show up with the ability to manipulate fire, electricity, sound, or other supposedly, "biological," expressions of energy
>These are typically not as tough as they should be for their size, but are, overall, more dangerous because of their seemingly express weaponization

>There are stories of, sometimes, these creatures incorporating mechanical objects into their bodies
>Large-scale batteries in the electricity manipulators, for example

>There are also stories of a single monster that has been killed at least a dozen times, several of which have had the head taken as a trophy
>Its scars and body are always similar, as are its tactics, though they both adapt and change slightly overtime
>It is larger than a horse, and much tougher and stronger than it should be, but otherwise has nothing special going for it

Did someone say biological horror?

So monster Hunter international and the mbf?

>the /k/ skinwalker threads are not spooky bedtime stories for OPER8RS, but instead preparatory advice and cautionary tales from the few brave /k/ommandos who dare tread where even God has cast his gaze away
>/x/, /k/, and /out/ now have a huge poster overlap due to the paranormal dangers that lie in an act as seemingly innocent (to us) as camping
>assuming we aren't all eaten into extinction, humanity has either been set back due to fighting off monsters constantly, or adapted in kind with the predatory threat
>group/unit discipline, martial skill, and bushcraft hold daily-use significance to the average modern person; strong central gov'ts and militaries as a result
>lots more untamed wildlands, more efficient use of land as real estate as a result (higher buildings built closer together, sturdier/more secure construction, walkways/tunnels instead of sidewalks
>fear of the forest and the night are exceedingly common
Probably missed a few aspects, but that's off the top of my head.

>If you mean suddenly encountering monsters in the middle of a city, that's not possible.
Yeah it's like he is one of those nuts that said there is ratmen in the sewer

If the world turns into Warhammer then we all get buttfucked by some skellington and have to move to Jesus' magical realm.

>watching a playthrough
/vr/ is disappoint

Pat & Woolie's LP?

Neo-mitochondria is also semi-Sentient, usually creates a "Queen" called Eve and really REALLY hates Humanity.

Imagine if cancer turned you into a weapon and wanted to watch humanity fail.