His character developed his fighting style by himself

>His character developed his fighting style by himself.

>his character name or alias unironically contains "dark," "black," "shadow," or any other synonym for this concept

>Character is a loner half-something, shunned by both communities

>Character is a renowned master of his particular field/has slain a beast that can kill champions/stolen an item guarded by the king/knows secrets that only a select few people in the setting are privy to
>Still level 1

>DM shows me his super unique setting
>Literally anything called "The Veil"

>The character's backstory has ANYTHING involving the killing of a dog.
This is the slightly clever but not really method of creating a sociopathic character. It's either a bad villain NPC we're supposed to encounter, or a worse character you have to deal with constantly.

>The character is min-maxed

Is that a recurring thing? I mean of all the edgy things to do that seems pretty tame

It is fine as long as he has background in other styles.

My character cares for his lord’s dogs, he regulary has to put down the sick ones to keep the pack healthy and the ones hurd too badly so they wont suffer.

Am I edgy?

The dog contacted rabies trying to protect the character from wild animal attack, in his youth. The character had to put it down. The character is a level 1 ranger with Favored Enemy: Animal.

Uh-oh you've triggered the dogfags now.

What if it was someone else killing their dog that set off their adventure.

i unironically like all of these ideas

this is nonsense

why?????

a GM should supervise chargen

>The character is a dog.

I actually strongly dissuaded my players from making characters like this for an upcoming game. There's just too much social and community shit that'll be central to the game's themes and having a "Edgy Mctrenchcoat" character isn't going to do them any favors. I only have one player that goes down that road sometimes, so I'm not really worried, but now I'm kinda chuckling about the fact that I may get ALL characters like that just to fuck with me.

>his 6 feet 2 knight's sigil isn't a black rooster
>his moniker isn't "the big black cock"

No problem with that
One of our Changeling players has a trash-eater character that considers live dogs to be among the finest deliquacies

>player expects his martial artist to be as good as a wizard

>his character uses dual wielded weapons unironically
I'll accept it if hes a performer or something like that but otherwise its just impractical and silly

Unless you're running something gritty and realistic - Delta Green or WHFB or something - is this really that big a deal?

If the most impractical thing a Solar Exalt tries is dual-wielding, it's a boring day in Creation

It isn't very effective compared to the more traditional styles he was initially trained in, but it has some specific redeeming feature or symbolic meaning to that character, so he stays in practice.

If that expectation turns to be not respected, the system is shit.

I AM EDGY MCTRENCHCOAT

nbc

Sounds like someone needs to have a meeting with a Huntsman, or several.

t. never played TMNT

>Not having a sexy female enchantress in your Arabian Nights who is a master illusionist and wears nothing but a single, long, body covering Veil, thus the name
Fucking peasant.

spooky

nice character concept for my fapfic

LITERALLY every single Tao in Anima: Beyond Fantasy. That's how martial arts work.

you cant trick me mr. skelington, i see that foot. you are no sexy lady in the nude, you are a seklington

Had a party member once who was a Halfling cavalier mounted on a dire-corgi. During a boss fight, halfling died, too early for us to have access to resurrection. The corgi got Awakened by a local centaur shaman and the player just swapped to playing the corgi.

Fun fact, that's actually a concept art someone did for Pale Night.
A demon Queen-Mother so damn fucked up that reality itself decided to just put a cover over it and not peek under.

Did the corgi avenge his comrade

Think of me, I'll never break your heart.
Think of me, you're always in the dark.
I am your light, your light, your light.
Think of me, you're never in the dark.

I heard the movie was actually good. Is he seriously killing them because they killed his dog? Because that's fucking amazing.

user, please go right now and watch John Wick. Then watch the sequel. It's an absolutely excellent action movie with really nicely choreographed sequences and surprisingly interesting and fun lore.

>knows secrets that only a select few people in the setting are privy to

The last one is possible for a level 1, and could even be a good hook for why they're now murderhoboing about.

It's just weirdly specifically realistic.

Alright. Sounds good.

It's a failure of the system, not of the character.

Why this one is wrong?

>>His character developed his fighting style by himself.
I'd tell the player to alter it to:
>his character learned a brand new fighting style from an old martial arts master - and he's the first student in the school

This way, the player gets what he wants but it's less chuunibyu mary-sue shite.

Go watch them

You take a retired assassin who's wife died and left him a dog. That dog and his fancy car she always loved were the only things in his life he enjoyed. Then you kill the dog and take the car, I'd say thats a good enough reason

Alternative:
>character is a wizard that learned fighting/warrior that learned magic and combines both schools into one

That way you have the character creating a new "school of fighting" by combining knowledge it already knows.

Wow, an entire race of humans and no-one figured it out maybe they could light someone on fire AND hit them over the head with a stick at the same time?

A woman wearing a full body veil in Arabian Nights setting? Very halal.

Typical dwarves

>fighting style
The fuck are you on about?
Unless you play Legends of the Wulin there ARE no "fighting styles", just fighting.

My next vigilante character is going to be The Dark Black Shadow.

Neither of you have been in many fights, huh? It's not a video game or a martial arts movie, kiddos.

t. mudslime

Depends on the system, actually.
But in D&D (as seems to be the basic assumption in all threads of this kind) it's not really relevant; attack bonus is attack bonus and Monk fighting styles are literally their own thing, everyone else just.....fights.

There is literally nothing wrong with this, especially if it involves eye gouges and kicks to the genitals.

>have a player who's done amateur MMA for a decade
>choreographs all of his grapple, pins and disarm attempts with vivid and realistic detail
Plays a great paladin. Constantly exasperated by our swashbuckler and bard making friends with friendly, but lawful evil npcs.

"Shadow, the Dark Black"

Oh, this reminds me. You know what's worse than a player having a character whose name includes "dark", "black", or "shadow"? We wanted another player for our game and got hooked up with this guy via a friend of a friend. We went to pick him up at a restaurant a few blocks away and our conversation went something like this.
>"Hey, Tom. I'm Matt." *
>"Call me Shadow."
>"What?"
>"I'm Shadow."
>"Uh. Okay. Hi. I'm Matt.
>"Say my name."
>"...what?"
>"What's my name?"
>[reluctantly] "Uh... Shadow..."

He endlessly bloviate about moronic shits, like how you could detect underground water using a lead weight on a string, because the lead is be attracted to the water because they have the same density. He was truly insufferable and we never gamed with him again.

*The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

His dad was a wannabe martial arts master with zero experience but a with a flame in his heart. Character was always embarassed or outright critical of his father's passtime until his father used the fighting style to fend off attackers only to be killed at the end of the fight due to the inefficiency of the fighting style.

Character mourns his father for a few years, with some nagging feeling recurring during that time. He finally decides to set fourth to make something of his father's style and suddenly feels at peace with himself.

I'd play it.

so you play a monk in any D&D edition and die the same way, it's perfect.

I'd love to play that character and die that way. It'd make sense if the character was a romantic. A close to death encounter could have him give up practice and have him be haunted by regret or he could die with his wishes unfulfilled.

I don't mind having my characters die if it's impactful.

it's a game of tabletop make believe with funny shaped anal beads we roll to make random numbers.
But yes certainly not a video game.

to be completely honest I'm a little peeved that I don't have more players like you.
Everybody's gotta have a 'full campaign story' oof.

Keep doing your thing.

I would allow someone to have a fighting style they developed on their own, although it would only be on a iniate lvl at the start(really minor bonuses) and he would have to spend time, money/resources and character points to improve it. The player would be given the choice for each lvl of his fighting skill he developed, for either better ac, attack, dmg, initiative, number of attacks, number of blocks/parry just to name a few. As a founder of the fighting style, once he reach a sufficient lvl in his fighting style he could start teaching other npcs or even players his unique fighting style. It would not do anything spectacular but would give him another set of bonuses than the regular standard fighting styles offered by local guilds/armies etc. Naturally, major bonuses like more attacks would only be possible at major milestones during the development of his fighting style.

This is a game. Old martial arts secrets and kung fu treachery are fun.

You're also a skeleton. You doctor told me.

There are fighting styles in real life.
Also even games like DnD and Pathfinder have a few mentions of fighting styles in the form of feats and monk abilities.

>system is shit if it doesn't have affirmative action for martials

Swordchucks yo.

Because they're shit players. If we play a campaign then we make characters with a reason to stick to the campaign. A character who's just out to get his head dashed against the rocks every encounter is a problem character no matter what little snowflake backstory was written up to justify it. If "that's just what my character would do!" then make a different one that wouldn't.

Are you implying that monk is bad in all editions of D&D

>t. nerd who was bullied by jocks because he couldn't even perform a single push-up
Buhlman pls go and stay go

There is nothing more amusing than watching a lanklet attempt pullups

But Monks are good in 4E!

Okay, so instead we just cap fighters at level 2.

Fuck off Paizo, you're shit at game design

>Hercule don't exist
>No no not Achilles either
>Gilgamesh who?
Mythology is littered with muscly dudes who could chokeslam monsters five hundred times their size with magic swords that can cut theoretical concepts but yeah nah, Fighters have to be realistic, only the Fighters.

Monk guy here. I agree with what you're saying and I think there is a point where character drive has to bend to keeping the party together and the story moving. With that in mind, you don't play that monk looking to get his shit ruined, you just play him as a romantic idealist and let the dice fall how they will.

Or are you saying you want a party full of fully optimized powergamers?

>Level 1 game
>His PC is apparently a master of combat, won over 100 major wars by 18 years of age
>Is a complete master at combat and has led the ruin of entire nations
>Is murderhoboing because, in his words" he got chased out because the Queen loved him so much the King got jealous, but he slaughtered the entire royal guard by himself on the way out."
>He's still level 1 mind you

I'm glad he was at least reasonable enough to go with a few changes
>He participated in 2 major wars, but he was a foot soldier who had little to no impact on the first, and caught a lucky break that scored him points on the second
>The lucky break was him learning of key enemy movements that eventually led to winning the war
>The princess made eyes at him, so the king had him "transferred" to the middle of bumfuck nowhere to keep him away.

Didn't help that during combat once the game actually started, he was a massive fucking coward that would hide behind the squishy party members, so the Wizard and Rogue ended up having to be the frontline because the Fighter wouldn't. His contributions to each fight tended to be "hiding behind whatever he could and skipping his turns until the combat was over.

He took 3 points of damage once, tore up his character sheet, then stormed out raving about how I'm a killer GM that's just trying to TPK the party. The guy who invited him still has no idea what the fuck was going on with him that day.

Casters are always better or equal to fighting guys, that's just how it works because magic or its mechanical equivalent, be it technology or whatever, can always do more things, even if they aren't numerically better.
In a roleplaying game, having more options will always be better and limited mostly by the player's creativity and how many spells they can get(and if they can get only a few, they'll just get the ones that have dozens of uses), unless you're doing a game focused only on combat.

That poster is a fucking retard for other reasons though, 3e's problem for casters is not making them level up slowly or have to struggle to get components. It's perfectly fine for different options to be better or worse, as long as the game is built around the idea of some PCs being better than others, which is actually DnD's mistake.

>im_sure_to_win_because_my_speed_is_superior.jpg

>be lanklet in high school
>could still do the bare minimum number of push-ups and pull-ups to pass with an A

I still can't understand how this even happens.

Who the hell plays level 20 characters anyway? Campaigns and characters past level 8 are for confirmed autists.

The imbalance still pops up in earlier levels, though not to QUITE a drastic extent. It's still fairly noticeable though.

>not playing Wong Fei Hung

It's fine, he has 4 arms.

>Gilgamesh
Demigod
>Hercules
Demigod
>Achilles
Physically invulnerable through magic
>wanting to play these
Yeah you sure convinced me you're not a problem player.

He calls it "bullet to the head" style

Pulling the demigod card is a bit silly considering a majority of the mythological spellcasters are also demigods of some sort.

No! You must follow a manuscript and never change anything reeee!!!

>user i want to pay a PURE duk'zarist

You forgot all the wizards like Merlin or Gandalf who were explicitly demonic or divine.

Surprise surprise, they don't belong in fantasy as protagonists either - recurring NPCs at best - and thus D&D fails even in its supposed expert field of simulating a standard fantasy adventure.

Point is mythology is a shit place to try and justify fantasy from because it's designed to fellate petty kings and nonexistent gods.

>playing D&D

Literally one of central characters in lore of my setting was killing dogs, animals, children, old people as a way of life before shit hit the fan.

He was a pit fighter, gladiator of sorts, and Tribunal was sending everything they wanted to die into pits. So, rabid dogs, trained dogs, old criminals, children of high-standing people in opposition, beasts was sent to die there. Along with other gladiators, deserters, heretics and shit.

>Point is mythology is a shit place to try and justify fantasy
I mean, sure, but in that case we should also be removing everything Wizards have that was inspired by mythology, since it's silly to have that dichotomy for no real reason.

Gandalf makes sense, but Merlin's story doesn't put him in demigod territory.
The things he can pull off are akin to what demigods do, but he himself isn't related to any being close in power to a god.

Wizards are wizards, dumbass, they're literally magic.

And martials can't be heroically powerful because....?

Honestly this one isn't even that bad. Some guy who learned how to fight by himself is a wuxia cliche. And I kind of doubt a random street thug turned merc or anyone like that learned how to fight in any official capacity instead of figuring it out though experience.