WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE NEW WARHAMMER 40,000 GAME, MORTAL?

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE NEW WARHAMMER 40,000 GAME, MORTAL?

>mortal

Goes a little less than IG but blows the water out of about everything else.

It was actually funny

Power Levels > Points.

>not having to autistically total up values from 3 different places to work out how much your units are worth
>not having to redo it all every time GW decides to roll over in their sleep and change all their values
>not having to worry about going to a tournament and finding out that your army's not legal anymore because the values of your models got changed that morning

Looks pretty good. Better than 7th anyway.

ive had it since tuesday and its a lot better than seventh

that lord of contagion that comes in the box is fucking nuts once hes in melee range

>trusting GW to balance their game the first time around

>trusting GW to balance their game ever

>trusting GW to balance at all
i had a tournament in AoS last week, and the power creep is real fuck those trees. also fuck tzeentch

>trusting a poster on Veeky Forums

>power levels >points

Ok sure you say that now, wait until you go up against rubrics all with flames, same power level, but not balanced at all.

>not having to autistically total up values from 3 different places to work out how much your units are worth
If you think totalling points values for everything is autism, then you have an extremely low standard to what qualifies for autism. You might be autistic. Also:
>implying most people wont be using an army builder program like battlescribe or simplify the process on a spreadsheet

>not having to redo it all every time GW decides to roll over in their sleep and change all their values
This isn't as much of an issue as you think. The changes wont be done like a ninja, they will be news among the 40k community. The changes are also only going to be done in codexes and as a whole yearly. That's 2 times a year, maybe, your army will get some points changes.

>not having to worry about going to a tournament and finding out that your army's not legal anymore because the values of your models got changed that morning
Irrelevant. Tournaments do a cutoff date for new material, most of the time it's within a week. So if changes happen or something new comes in within the week before the tournament, it wont be legal. Also you will see this coming, and tournaments will notify goers of all coming changes or the standard that will be played. So even if changes happen the morning of the tournament, it wont matter because it won't be adopted until the next tournament.

>implying this isn't just me responding to shitposting
Every time I fall for it. Every time.

The downward spiral that began in 5th edition continues, and in fact has accelerated.

>implying constant points updates is a bad thing

>The changes wont be done like a ninja
They already have been. Points costs for Primaris marines are different between the Index and the Dark Imperium box.

That's an oversight, not a standardized change. Know the difference. It will be covered in a FAQ

>changing point costs in an FAQ
Surely you can see the contradiction, user?

>changing point costs in an FAQ
Except this is not changing points costs. It's correcting an error. It will tell you which costs to use, whether the index or box set.
They will be announced when they happen. Again, even if you didn't catch that morning's announcement, tournaments of that day wont adopt them because they already standardized what materials are to be used in the event. If you still didn't get the memo a week out and find out your list is not legal because they released a faq, or updated points in a book the week before, then that's only your fault for not keeping up with the news.

>still responding to shitposting
DAMNIT! Why do I keep doing it?!

>implying they will never change the power ratings

>tfw wood elf player in WHFB
>loved all the cool shit they could do
>tree surfing and shit
>AoS happens
>trees are their own faction
>get all the cool shit from fantasy
>turns out they're top tier WAAC shit
>cant even play my trees without being called a WAAC faggot
>mfw

>Trusting your friends
It all could be psyop

Bland. Formations were far from perfect, but they added flavour to the factions. I'm sure codices will bring them back, but it'll take years for them to roll around.

You are a WAAC faggot just like eldar players and vindicator spammers

>I had to add numbers together and I am against that. I would rather play an unbalanced mess because math is for nerds.

NUMBERS ARE HARD!

eh.

Mild disinterest
I still like 40k but I massively preferred the earlier more humorous editions, kinda just settled into mild apathy about everything 40k to be hones

Can't wait for the holes to get uncovered and GW to flip-flop on their strategy.

It's not perfect but it's a big improvement on 7th.

My basilisks aren't shit and my sternguard got cooler, I can also field 150 conscripts without 390 points platoon tax.

I'm optimistic.

>vindicator spammers

get with the times old man and stop playing 5th chaos marines

this bait is weak

That video was going so well, then he said "mortal" and it was ruined.

I'm not convinced on Sternguard, I used to run a few with Kantor and the new boltgun is nice but it doesn't apply to combi-weapons so you're loosing quite a bit now.

Plus combi-weapons got so fucking expensive.

With powerpoints, they're free though.

Best start to an edition ever. Still plenty of room for improvement though. Hopefully they don't drop the ball on the Codexes.

>everything that is too complicated for me is autism
no, john, you are the aurtism

Sternguards have a different role now. They are not much more expensive than Tacticals but are quite decent backfield objective holders. It's either them, sniper scouts or devastators.

Played nids vs mech BA
our first game of 8th and first game in at least 12 months because 7th was so shit
I tried to bring simple stuff since we're learning the rules, but I think it was a bad idea

1000 points

Nids:
1 walking Tyrant, MScything, HVC
1 Tyranid Prime, Scything, DS
30 hormgaunts
20 termagants
6 Warriors - all with Devourers, 3 with Scything, 3 with Boneswords
3 Hive Guard, Impalers
1 Biovore
6 Rippers

BA:
1 Captain with plasma/thammer
1 Librarian with plasma/forcesword
3 tactical squads with plasma/plasmacannons
3 rhinos
baal predator with twinAC and hbolter sponsons

BA went first because of low deploy count and chose short edges deployment
baal predator easily killed the hive tyrant by turn 2
Hiveguard and biovore got the baal pred by end of turn 3
Could barely scratch the rhinos at all
All the small stuff bounced even with synapse, hormagaunts only killed 5 marines over 4 turns of combat and got the librarian down to 1 wound before they were cleaned up
Not much else to show but biovore was good (captain's plasma failed to wound one of the scattered spore mines)
We called it when there was nothing but the warriors and hiveguard left

Will try big fast bugs next time, harpy, flyrants etc

good to see more women enjoying our hobby.

how did warriors do because i have 10 and used just the required formation tax whole 7th like everyone else.
did you find lash whips usefull at all.

They're fine. Their 4+ armor is much more useful than it was in the previous 5 editions.

Didn't use lash whips, mine are modeled double boneswords. I reckon the extra attack is better than the strike back. Hiveguard are good and reliable.

>women
baka

Honestly, i don't know. The Necron Codex feels gutted, compared to when I last played in 6th edition. Wargear like the Tachyon Arrow and Veil of Darkness (Ghostwalk Mantle) are now limited to one character in the whole book.

The monolith now packs a respectable punch with it's gun, but costs more base than an imperial knight.

Uniqu abilityies like My Will Be Done, The Lord's Will, and the Cryptek's +1 to RP rolls are now spread over three units, which cost alot in an already expensive point-cost army.

I have a game with a friend in a few days to test out the rules, and on paper I'm thinking its almost impossible for the Necrons to beat the guard. On a good day, they outnumber me 3 to 1, and knowing my friend, he'll bring nothing but heavy armor, and for 1000 points, I can't bring much more than some warriors, a ghost ark, some scarabs and two HQ units.

>I can't bring much more than some warriors, a ghost ark, some scarabs and two HQ units.

Have you actually played yet?
That's literally all you need. Warriors are bullshit powerful.

That said, IG is probably the strongest army in the game but it's not because of vehicles.

Haven't actually played, just number crunching.

I'm concerned about vehicles because of how many wounds they have, and how difficult they would be to shoot down, since I don't have any big guns.

Flip side of that, I'm worried he might just take fuck off levels of basic men, give them all FRFSRF every turn, and then I get out-shot 6:1. Focusing on one squad at a time untill they're wiped completely, I won't be able to make any RP rolls, nor a dent in his numbers before he buries me in fuckloads of las fire.

Unlike previous editions, there's no way to teleport units around with either the Monolith or the Veil of Darkness once they're on the field, and 5" movement makes it that much harder to get around.

Idk, I'm just bitching, I guess.

>I can't do basic arithmetic

Played Thousand Sons against a friend's Nids today, can confirm Nidzilla is back and strong!

Anyone got the pdf

> 5" movement makes it that much harder to get around.

Look up Grand Illusion on the Deceiver and thank me.

>warriors, a ghost ark, some scarabs
>some scarabs
>scarabs
but why scarabs though?

The Necron codex was gutted by 7th edition, 8th edition seems to have had the decency to finish up with a clean butchering at least.

Just hang on until you get a codex again, every army lost options across the board.

bit simplistic in the army lists but I knew it would be that way going in. It's annoying losing options (especially as a lot of the stuff guard lost was really important to keeping us in line) but shit happens. Hopefully GW isn't a bunch of retards and either releases the codexes very quickly in a short period of time or waits a while to see how the balance of the indexes works out and go from there. If they pull the typical "one book every 2 months" its going to suck and they'll rapidly kill a lot of the goodwill they gained.

For the most part the game looks good and I'm actually excited to play base 40k again for the first time in like 3 years. I'm sure there's some things that are going to be weird like every game but even with just a cursory glance at the indexes and rulebook I can tell that 8th is far and away superior to 7th edition.

Played three games as Necrons, and I'm conflicted. RP 'feels' better in a way, I tabled a Blood Angels army turn 3 and had only technically lost two units.

That said, I honestly felt like my best tactics were to just wait for people to come to me. Without Gauss rule my Destroyers had to do all the vehicle damage, and anything that screws with my hit rolls severely impairs my entire army. We don't get rerolls like I've seen a lot of other armies receive, which is mildly frustrating. Without the (dynasty) tag Praetorians are terribly left out, and I'm already done with the meta of rushing with 18 wraiths. Crypteks are just there for RP rolls, and I miss them having their specializations they had in 6th so much more now.

It isn't just wargear options, things just feel a little lacking and rote so far. Also to hell with Tau drones, I hate your automatic look out sirs and inexplicable 'am I part of the unit for morale or just a cocktease' arguments I know I'll keep having.

What's the role of Tactical Marines now? Being visible and die?

Knew about it. 1000 points isn't enough to justify that guy taking up 25% of my points.

What I have learnt is SoB got a rather substantial boost and St Celestine is a flying rapist.

>St Celestine is a flying rapist.
As someone who hasn't followed the new stuff at all, what?

Not only did she get a stat buff (7 wounds ands her sword effectivedly makes her S7) her free act of faith a turn means she can heal herself D3 wounds along with the usual resurrecting one geminae a turn. In a test game she managed to solo the swarm lord and old one eye (if only just) which is way, way beyond what her 7th ed counterpart could do.

She is well worth 250 points fully equipped.

It kinda sucks. I'll probably sell my army and pick up historicals.

Wracks still do nothing. The liquefier is worthless. Grotesques can't survive shit. Talos are no longer killy or even tough. No idea about cronos, but they don't seem worth it at all. Haemonculi can fight, but are overpriced for that. The +1 toughness boost is only relevant for wracks.

Game-wise. Not actual rape.

I have been away from Veeky Forums is there some new vidya?

>only gets his news from Veeky Forums

Away, peasant scum

New lore is fucking awful.
New marine models are fucking hideous.
Rules are unquestionably an improvement over 7e, but still held on to too many sacred cows. It's a start though.

Still won't be giving GW any more money until plastic sisters.

8th edition dropped, what rock have you been under?

Biggest changeup since 2nd to 3rd.

Not perfect but it's a start at least. They culled all the stupid fucking formations and put a leash on pysker bullshit, allies abuse, and things like superheavies are easier to take down with normal armies now.

On the other hand the codexes have all been rebooted so everyone is playing a bit more simple version of what they're used to and until the codexes get replaced we'll be reliving the start of 3rd edition. People are freaking out over it but odds are most of our options and choices will be back in about a year or so tops.

I feel you, I loved my treemen and dryads in WHF. Honestly, I'm hoping the Wanderers faction gets some love so I can bring back my all bows everything army with shiny new rules and whatever.

Also, even if you must bag your own head, put those trees on the table, they are gorgeous models and you don't have to be that asshat with three treemen, Drycha and 15 kurnoth hunters if you don't want to be.

(I would totally field beetle lady also, she's boss and her model is lovely)

Only if you spam Kurnoth Hunters with greatbows and flood the field with forests. You should be fine.