/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-whisker-away-monday-meeting-notes/

>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

>Question:
What non-WoD splats/settings would work well with a crossover game for a WoD chronicle?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13211093
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/147170-sla-industries-character-species-races-wha-cha-ma-jigs
youtube.com/watch?v=p1wdsh65w2o&t=218s
blog.white-wolf.com/2017/06/15/v5-pre-alpha-the-curtain-rises/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

strawpoll.me/13211093

>What non-WoD splats/settings would work well with a crossover game for a WoD chronicle?
For oWoD:

Mage works well with Demon, Changeling, Werewolf and Mummy.
Werewolf works with Changeling and Mage.
Vampire doesn't really work well with anything, both rules-wise (Virtues) and conceptually.
Hunter works well with every supernatural, but can't do rules overlap.

The key part is to understand that you are running a (Splat) game with (Other Splat) elements. You have to pick a focus and approach the game from that perspective.

>Mage works well with Demon, Changeling, Werewolf and Mummy.
>Mage works well with Changeling
>Changeling

nope

Still working on my sorta Shadowrun 1e / Cyberpunk 2020 D:tD game.
Still praying it's not going to be shit.

Unknown armies, Cyberpunk 2020, Delta Green

Mages are supposed to be stronger than other playable supernaturals.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Also I misread the question, thought it was what WoD splats work as crossover. Woops!

SLA Industries, horrors inside and out

Paranoia seems like a good enough fit, i suppose.

Wish me luck, I'm going to run the V5 playtest tomorrow but using a familiar city instead of the crazy of their scenario. The baseline will be an attack happens under cover of daytime that takes out the Sheriff and the Toreador Primogen (bloodbound lovers), and when the call of court happens, the seneschal doesn't come. As the city huddles, the pro temp sheriff asks his childe (one of the pregens) and her coterie to go check out the seneschal's penthouse. His contacts had gotten word of a fire there, and anything to keep the barely-lucid Malkavian Prince from snapping at this point. From there they'd run afoul of Anarchs, and an Homeland/Project Twilight grouping in the vein of the GSG9 fights against' terrorists' in the main scenario, played up for my players' playstyle.

Ok. Just wanna bounce an idea off you guys I run games for a club and we have a horror theme night coming up. Beast the Primordial set in the world of Creepypasta.
Slenderman
Jeff the Killer
Ben Drowned
Eyeless Jack
Smile Dog and
The Seed Eater
Are all PCs.

The plot will involve them all being at a Convention Panel discussing Candlecove their favorite TV show but they announce due to corperate Executives the show will have to be cancelled.

The party is randomly selected as part of a raffle to meet the creators and their mission is given to get the show back on the air.

Also NWoD conersion rules

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/147170-sla-industries-character-species-races-wha-cha-ma-jigs

Vampire works fantastically with demon

>The Seed Eater

Jesus when did Creepypasta stories go to shit.

Was it Blood Painter or Sonic dot exe that started this trend?

Creepypasta was always shit to a degree, but once the tumblr / Deviantart crowd got into it with the "OMG This murderer is so kawaii I'm gonna draw yaoi fanart of him" nonsense.
It went from a little fringe group of nerds that liked doing their horror shortstories to a bunch of cringelords shitting everything up.

I mean, what else would you put in its place?

Yeah, pretty much. I prefer Vampire, but that's because I prefer street-level games. I don't want to zip around the solar system and fight a multiversal conspiracy with rayguns powered by belief, but if people are into that sort of thing, they should have a game for it. The whole idea of crossover is stupid and flawed.

The Rake

This is the only acceptable gayness involving creepypastas

youtube.com/watch?v=p1wdsh65w2o&t=218s

That might work.

The sad truth is that this club is more there for one-shots and more one shots. I do need to try and go to places that not only are relevent are flexible enough to allow for player agency.

I wouldn't run a campaign there, but for a night of messing around, I think it could be fun.

fag

On the topic of creepypasta that could work for WoD. The earlier "Holder of x" series seems to have the right level of esoteric bullshit for Abyssal intrusions.
"You must blink exactly 27 times during the elevator ride while wearing shoes stolen from a Mexican Buddhist at 11:59pm on a Thursday and carrying $5.24 is your left pocket. Failure to do this will have the door open to unreality and you will vomit out your own kidneys out of fear and die. If you do everything right you get a cool cursed item."

>What non-WoD splats/settings would work well with a crossover game for a WoD chronicle?

I have a campaign arc coming up for my awakening game inspired heavily by the movie 'event horizon'.

The shadow outside the protective gaze of helios and luna is a terrifying place.

Does it have to be table top? SCP could work well

Dead by Daylight basically IS based in arcadia. A very creepy variation of the wild hunt. The Entity is a True Fae.

A lot of games and movies go well with Changeling.

Especially movies.

Coraline and Labyrinth are essentially Changeling films.

That's why I said setting, because chances are there's things out there without a game that could be used for crossovers.

>Crossovers are shit

Full crossovers where every mythology is fully incoorporated are shit. I hate it when vampires conspire with Pentex to fuck over the Technocracy.

In myWoD the main splat is vampire.

-Antedeluvians are the strongest beings. They don't really have a role in my chronic but they are a building bloc for the setting. (Malkav for example has reached the path of heaven version of Golconda and has reached sanity again. Unfortunately the insane and destructive part of his character has left his body. This evil being IS the malkavian network and responsible that dominate isn't a Clan discipline anymore.... The Evil being is slowly gaining more intelligence looking for an avatar it can use to become a person. Malkav on the other hand is in torpor and has lost the blood connection to his children. Both are on the power Level of a mighty metusaleh. The Evil being is hellbent on diablerizing malkav to regain antedeluvian powers though.)

-True mages don't exist. Hedge mages take their role in the setting. Magic in general is "occult rituals from ancient tomes" and not "Hit-Marks vs. Fireball throwers".

-Werewolves exist but they have a completely different role. The umbra and their whole mythology just isn't there. Wolves See tormented by their version of the beast. Their beast drives them away from humanity (the reason they avoid cities) and is spread to a werewolves children.

-Mummies exist as a product of mighty and tainted Egyptian necromancy. They are fucking strong but they lack the support structure their old empires provided. So if a Mummy awakens it has to quickly gather some Hedge magicians to teach them Egyptian necromancy because it needs someone who conducts the rituals that provide a Mummy with Energy.

-Changelings don't exist just like Kyasid.

-Wraiths exist but their background isn't this relevant. The underworld is a fucked up place and Wraiths try to escape.

-Some end up as Poltergeister.

-The weaker One becomes mindless zombies.

-The strong ones can get a Body with their mind intact but unlike risen they don't heal and they have to quickly find a Way to Keep them going (Hedge magicians, giovanni etc.)

Hunters exist with their Numina. The whole Messenger shtick doesn't. Numina are just the immune reaction to the supernatural. Hunters become much more common because due to higher populations and rising concentrations of Vamps.

-Demons don't exist. Infact the whole Judeo-Christian shit doesn't.

>Technos venture out to far.
>Confronted with shit they can't logicially explain within their Dogma.
>The few that survive are hunted like dogs by their former comrades.

Version 1.17
Carnival Melancholy is done.
Got stuff over the next few days, but I'll add more requests to the list.

Also, has anyone actually used my stuff in their games?
It depresses me to say that I've only used one of my own so far.
I'd really like to hear if anything works or doesn't work.

You want nWoD crossovers, you crossover Changeling and Promethean. People who were never human but want to be and people who aren't human but once were, combined.

Also hot Promethean-on-Fetch action.

Hunter and Geist is a fun crossover too.

I played a Fetch in a hunter game once

Re-requesting Fallen Pillar

The whole point of Pentex is to provide a crossover antagonist

And if we're doing "myWoD"

myWoD Main Splat is mage

-Traditions, Technocracy, Marauders, and Nephandi each have part of the puzzle regarding the truth about reality.

Traditions understand that belief, will, and imagination define reality. On at least a subconscious level. Actually, all mages understand this on a subconscious level, but the Trads are the ones who can act on it. Such blatant force of will is why "backlash" has always been a risk for the Tradition mage

Technocrats based their Willworking off of Cosmological constants and extrapolated from there. That's why Technomagic always has some advantage when it comes to getting shit under the radar. This results in their inflexibility when it comes to improvisation.

Marauders "understand" the true nature of Avatars and Ascension better than anyone else. In fact, they suffer from too much perspective.

Nephandi have an edge when it comes to cosmology. They understand that the universe has no inherent meaning, but rather than create one for themselves they damn everything. They'd rather curse the darkness than strike a match.

In the case of Vampires, the Caine Story is basically true, but the specifics are not what people think.

Werewolves are so close, yet so far. Their way of thinking causes them to anthropormorphize everything, even when there's nothing there. For instance, while there are a whole lot of Jhor-tainted spirits out there, the Wyrm is not a discrete entity.

Wraiths exist, but the sixth great maelstrom has drastically culled the numbers of both Wraith and Specter. Surviving wraiths seem to be stronger than before, but their "societies" are mostly shambles beyond repair.

Changelings are as-written in C20, but the Prodigal theory is bullshit.

Hunters are Cats-paws of a variety of different forces, as the messengers actually aren't all the same thing.

Mummies exist, but they are the results of mages pursuing immortality by internalizing a life-death-rebirth cycle, or doing so for someone else. This of course costs them their True Magick, but they are still hedge sorcerers of unparalleled might, with their own unique arts.

I don't really know ODemon, but I'm thinking demons will borrow a page from Descent, with the motives and actions of "god" being extraordinarily questionable. "Demons" come from many different mythologies and legends, and replace Umbral "demons."

Also, you really don't want to know how the Massasa wars went in my setting if you're a fan of the Tremere.

Nice. You did the same thing. Mage is your lense and that gives you Room to include nearly all the splats.

I will answer you more in depth after i had Dinner.

Who'd I miss? The Kuei-Jin? They're also Vampires, it's just their blood is so warped they seem to be a different species. The tale of the Ebon Dragon and Scarlet Empress contains unique insights into the Caine/Lillith story that is actually more true in some ways.

Is there any published material on what happens if a member of the one of the Giovanni Families Awakens?

>Kuei Jin

Ahhh they don't exist in my world.

There are some Vamps in Asia but they only came in colonial times and were quickly opposed by Hunters when they left the bastions of colonial powers. Nowadays you have vamps in places like Hong Kong etc.

>In the case of Vampires, the Caine Story is basically true, but the specifics are not what people think.

In myWoD the christian stuff is wrong and even the Antes don't really know how it all started. Their memory is somewhat hazy especially in the very early stretches of their unlife and "Caine" wasn't present himself in the second city.

Gehenna is a cyclic event that can happen locally. The Antes are seeding vamps regularly (after eating most of the ones existing, some methusalehs are they agents and some Antes opose that like Malkav) by embracing some new 4th Generation.

The next Gehenna could be different though because the Antes probably will collapse human civilization (or die trying) because modern nations fuck the environment too much, so that they are on a pathway to destroying humanity and thus the vamps foodsource.

Antes are mostly concerned with feeding themselves and forcing vamp and human society in the destination they desire (with varying degrees of success).

>Hunters are Cats-paws of a variety of different forces, as the messengers actually aren't all the same thing.

I really like that idea. I am thinking about using it but without demons, umbra and true mages there is nearly no one who could embue them with the powers needed.

I've fiddled with/adjusted some of your conversions for my game for two of my PC's that didn't want to develop their own legacies.

In Vamp-centric games I depict True Mages as "Hidden Batshit Secret Masters." It's quite possible they are something other than human from a Vampire's POV.

Of course, you don't need True Mages to have Illuminati-esque groups who can ritually imbue an appropriate individual with the soul of a quasi-gnostic "angel"

Demons really haven't come up beyond the odd infernalist.

>In Vamp-centric games I depict True Mages as "Hidden Batshit Secret Masters." It's quite possible they are something other than human from a Vampire's POV.

Thats just hedge magic in my world. If a hedge magic "branch" is developed long enopugh it can become absurdly powerful.

>Demons really haven't come up beyond the odd infernalist.

I am thinking about including demons as something from beyond but i am torn.

Has anyone tried the Alpha rules for nu-oWoD yet?

Did you or any of the other players post a link to your game's story? I seem to recall a story posted involving a fetch that was a hunter.

Hos is vampiric frenzy any different from human chimpout?

Vamp frenzy is less chimpout and more autistic rage, only the vamp usually isn't a 300 pound /r9k/ reject so it's a bit more frightening.

We had a quick trip report two threads ago, apparently it works well and can evoke VtM: Bloodlines feelings.

so any reason some hedge wizard group couldn't do what I described?

It does if you're running traditionalists. They have very similar goals and both can easily fall into the "People caught up in something larger than themselves while just trying to live their lives", mould.

>Has anyone tried the Alpha rules for nu-oWoD yet?

Yeah, did a playsession last night.

Basically, the whole "feeding" thing is... well, getting way too much focus.

They could have instead just wrote "Hey, maybe don't let feeding turn into just a boring roll, and instead spend a little bit of time exploring the theme of feeding, since this is a vampire game, m'kay?" to a sidebar or something, and it would have been better.

The big focus on feeding was fun the first time when shit happened. It was okay the second. By the third it was already getting boring, or worse, aggravating.

Introducing a mechanic that makes me *not* want to play the game is not a good tactic, no matter how much it might fit the "theme" of the game in question.

As for the new dice rules, they are okay, but nothing spectacular either way.

In short, they tried doing something new, and it wasn't anything amazing.

What if... assburgers are poeple who somehow are born with beasts?

People were bitching that the rules were very LARP centric?

That's just slang for over simplified trash.

IDK, I'm not familiar with LARP but the focus on feeding could make sense if it means some neckbeard can get a simulacrum of human contact w/ a gothopotomus.

Finished the playtest now, I played Nicholas Dietz.

We never went inside the club where we were supposed to because shit went down and we decided to gtfo Berlin. When we were leaving the scene, we ran into a police patrol that tried to stop us, because we looked suspicious and one of the characters was arabic. We started running, but they chased.

I ran to an alley and one of the beat cops followed and tried to attack me with his baton. I boosted my physical to 4, roused blood for potence 1 and broke his arm. Saw there were going to be more cops coming in, so I wanted to get out of there and feed on him. I asked the Storyteller if there's anywhere to run, he said the alley leads to another street and the buildings that form the alley are three stories high.

For my combat action I said I'll grab a hold of the cop and jump up to the roof of the building with potence 2. I had my physical stats already boosted and potence 1 active, so my total pool was 8. Rolled 4 succs, re-rolled the failed dice for 3 more succs with willpower and jumped 14 meters up to the roof. Then I drained the cop dry in safety while the other cops were still looking for me down in the alley. I had to do a hunger check when I started feeding, and I rolled two 1s and two 8s which caused a compulsion which made me want to do something I had done when I was alive. After feeding I smoked a cigarette on the roof even if it didn't do anything and I had to spend blood to use my lungs. Nice smoke after a meal, just listening to fire trucks and chilling while my coterie was getting shot to shit by a sniper from a helicopter.

Later on we remembered my character only eats from vegans, but we retconned the cop to be one because it was a cool scene.

aspergers and autists have no soul in WoD, so could they have a Beast?

>hey look at me I'm being edgy on Veeky Forums

uh, I'm pretty sure that isn't true.

Can we get some citation? Because if so then we'd have Aspergers spirits running around

Primary Splat: Mage

Mages Exist and have returned to something resembling the status quo. Old Horizon realms are gone but the Avatar storm has lifted.

Vampires are there and basically as written in the book.

Werewolves have a piece of the puzzle that mages don't have. The three fundamental forces are the triat and there are enormously powerful entities behind them. Werewolves just know this because they are natively part of the system.

Wraiths? Yeah, they're there.

Changelings? Yeah, they're there but I use them as an antagonist faction mages occasionally trip over changelings, fights get started and Weird shit happens because glamour.

Conceptual spirits exist, couldn't there be a Autism spirit? Not legit medical autism, but the internet autismos.

My character wasn't a very good fighter (physical 2 brawl 2), but he felt really powerful when spending blood. Disciplines were really awesome and combat was fast. I wouldn't want to play a character with a feeding restriction tho, feels like you need to go hunt for blood after every action scene.

One of the PCs ghouled a first responder and we managed to save the NPC vampire in torpor we were supposed to save after all, but then another PC turned invisible and diablerized the NPC we were all trying to save.

The rest of the game was us trying to kill the PC until we all died to a special forces attack.

I liked it, but we didn't really follow the plot.

No reason at all. Its just not the same mythology thats linked to True Magic.

Jesus that sounds like artsy pretentious bullshit.

>Muh Le beast, being a Monster and the struggle for humanity has to be the focus at every

Yeah I suppose a spirit of internet Autism exists, but if people with Autism didn't have souls there would be "Spirits of People With Autism" just like there are "Spirits of Cats"

>Also, has anyone actually used my stuff in their games?

Thanks to you i am able to run my Mage the awakening game focused on legacies.

So far i am using the Tamers of Fire, Uncrowned kings, perfected adepts, melancholy carnival, timori, house of ariadne, forge master, orphans of proteus and Clavicularius. I am only missing the Bokor and Brotherhood of the Demon Wind.

So thank you for making my game possible.

The playtest City is Berlin? Nice. As a German that Sounds interesting.

The rules Sound shitty though.

Why are changelings the enemies of mages ?

So werewolves have a deeper understanding because they are part of the natural System/triat?

Berlin was one of the first city they featured as a published setting.

I think right after Milwaukee

Are these the legacies your players are interested in?

Yes. Tiergarten area.

I liked the rules alright. The combat felt a lot better than in classic WoD. In classic you have the whole process of roll initiative, declare actions, then take actions in reverse order, roll to attack, then enemy rolls defense, then roll damage, then roll soak. In V5 both the attacker and the defender just roll once and it still results in the same sort of thing because soak and damage is static. You never have to spend your action dodging either.

Dex isn't a godstat anymore, nobody gets instakilled before they get to act and number of blood points&generation doesn't determine who wins.

I did a half story time of it once, big ass greentext but I've since lost track of it

Hmh the feeding shit Sounds tedious though.

Should i give it a shot ?

>Disciplines were really awesome and combat was fast.

How did they change celerity?

Oh and do you have the link to the test version?

Vampires feel a lot more competent baseline and blood makes them really, really awesome. One of the characters never had to feed during the entire game even when they used a significant amount of blood because they rolled well on their hunger checks and never went up in hunger. I personally rolled bad and was pretty hungry most of the time. The compulsion stuff doesn't really come up that often and you can easily do away with it when it does, I think only in prolonged action heavy adventures will you start losing your shit.

I give it a solid 4/5 ruleswise.

First level of celerity doubles your initiative and gives your celerity dots as autodice to dexterity and athletics rolls.

Second level of celerity removes multiple opponent penalties and lets you dodge bullets without cover. (Which was super powerful in my experience. The celerity guy had three cops fire at him with assault rifles and he just flash stepped out of the way.)

Third level celerity gives you an extra action for a number of turns equal to your celerity.

blog.white-wolf.com/2017/06/15/v5-pre-alpha-the-curtain-rises/

Should put that to the next OP

Okay, what about more open ended disciplines like vicissitude and chimerstry?

Also, how are generations handled?

No rules for vicissitude or chimestry in the playtest.

Generation alpha test gives people blood potency:
Gen 13-10 = 0
Gen 9-7 = 1
Gen 6-5 = 2
Gen 4 = 3

When you roll for hunger, you reduce the pool by your blood potency. Higher gen gets hungrier slower. When you suffer a compulsion, its effects are increased by blood potency. Higher gen means you get more fucked up. When feeding, you get blood potency less hunger reduction. Takes more blood to sate higher gen vamps.

>Are these the legacies your players are interested in?

Yes and no. The main theme of my game is "Souls, what you do with them?" so the way i got the setting is that most "adult" mages in the region have a legacy and put lot of stock on the philosophy of the them. Like a paradigm on Ascension.

So far the players are new mages with various mentors and while they are in the process of joining orders they havent pick up a Legacy but they are insterested in a few.

The acanthus is joining the House of Ariadne, another has as a mentor a bokor who has a funerary. Third one is learning "alchemy" from the Uncrowned kings and the last players is either joining the claviclarious, the Tamers of fire or the Orphans of proteus.

Top tier legacies there.

I have just read the scenario.

Its strikes me as very edgy.

>Muh camarillia are the Edgy, degenerate Spoiled Golden Cage

>The anarchs are the downtrodden revolutionaries

>Hah all the Cam traditions are bullshit and its 2k17

>the Cam Domains Start falling and even mithras is killed by the second Inquisition

>Vampires are constantly hunted by the second Inquisition and a Western Democracy basically has turned into a surveillance state really quick (Police Controlling all the highways)

Human chimpouts don't have disciplines

Oh no, le scary /pol/ man is attacking. How will Veeky Forums ever recover.
There ya go. Don't spend it all in one place.

You memes are stale, tumblranon. Nobody here is gonna buy the "I'm totally from /b/ or /pol/, look at my shitposting". You won't get good material for r/trolling Veeky Forums or whatever you're planning on posting it to.
I'm not even mad, just disappointing. This is time you could be making something of, you know that user?

Is this the 3rd worst general after the jumpchain one and /pfg/?
When it's not magecucks masturbating to blowing up the universe by popping bubblegum it's yiffers self-inserting into werewolf x mage fantasies, when it's not yiffers self-inserting into werewolf x mage fantasies it's some OPPcuck shitting over oWoD, when it's not some OPPcuck shitting over oWoD then it's /pol/ and/or tumblr.

I just want to play Changeling the Lost but literally nobody else ever does

That's how I feel about Promethean and Demon.

I'm not big on Demon because the whole God-Machine stuff just turns me off when they do nothing but describe how INSURMOUNTABLE and INCALCULABLY VAST and BLAHBLAHBLAH IT'S BIG AND YOU CAN'T FIGHT IT

Promethean though I do agree is underrated

Being vampire is presented as a horror, but it must be pretty sweet actually.

>don’t age
>only needs blood, that shit is fucking everywhere, unless you are subcainite Ventrue
>don’t give shit about exposure to elements unless it’s really extreme
>don’t have to breathe
>don’t have to bathe
>can masturbate anytime you want
>can rest during the day in the of layer filth at the bottom of a pond, nobody will find you
>can run naked in the forrest at night, howling at the moon like wild beast drinking dry anything unlucky enough to cross your path

>tfw no yiffer will help me make my sordid vampire x werewolf fantasies come true

The 5th Edition masquerade fucks me up.

The rules seem to be nice but the setting really seems like SJW trash...

>I just want to play any WoD game but literally nobody else ever does.
Fixed that for you user.
Fuck, man. I just wanna play some urban fantasy without a party of tumblr or edgelords. Why's finding a group so damn hard.
>tfw no game

>can't go outside during the day
>constantly hungry literally all the time
>after a while can barely relate to non-vampires
>have to occasionally fake your death and skip town to avoid people getting suspicious of the reclusive pale dude who only comes out at night and doesn't age
>endless politicking from other douchebag vampires
>every other supernatural creature has some reason to fuck you up and will do so unless you gang up with the aforementioned ouchepires

I dunno man I'd call it a wash.

I’d be happy with a party od tumblr edgelords half my age at this point.

I've got friends who want to play Mage and refuse to consider anything but Mage.

I wouldn't turn down a Mage game at this point, user.