Are there any good systems for a wild/weird western game?

Are there any good systems for a wild/weird western game?

Other urls found in this thread:

tribality.com/2017/06/14/frontier-5e-campaign-setting-overview-part-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Check out this shit you double nigger

tribality.com/2017/06/14/frontier-5e-campaign-setting-overview-part-1/

>wild west
>d&d hack
I don't know, man. I was kind of hoping for more than a 5E hack.

What about Deadlands

Owl Hoot Trail. Werewolf: The Wild West. Deadlands.

Probably in that order for me, but none of them are terrible. I just think Deadlands has clunky rules.

HOPE FOR MY BALLS IN YOUR MOUTH YOU BABY BACK BITCH

Agent Pikachu, go solve mysteries in Pixar land!

I'm also interested in this, I've been working on a weird west setting for a while, and I'm looking for a system to try. Maybe I'll check out Owl Hoot Trail.

>Owl Hoot Trail
Never heard of it! Got any info?
>Werewolf: The Wild West
Is that a WoD thing?
>Deadlands
Isn't Deadlands A) old as shit and B) regarded as fairly clunky?

Werewolf The Wild West was a "prehistory" spin off for the original Werewolf: The Apocalypse line in World of Darkness, yes.

Dogs in the Vineyard is an interesting system, though its a very slow game because scenes are resolved via dice poker. However, it has VERY strong religious themes since its largely based on the Mormon-founded State of Deseret.

>not wanting to bring God's law to the decadent and the faithless

I run classic Deadlands quite a bit. Not clunky at all once you get used to it and easily the best of the western themed RPGs I've played. Plus you get to use a poker deck for initiative which is ultra cool

You can snip out the religious stuff, it's all tied to settings not mechanics

Mind telling me more about it? Why do people think it's clunky?

WHAT! YOU WANT A WORKING SYSTEM AND WIERD WEST!

FUCK YOU SUCK MY D&D

You roll a lot of dice, but you don't roll them super often and you don't have to worry about adding a whole bunch of modifiers. Other than that, using a deck of cards for initiative bothers some people as well. The only way I find it gets a bit clunky is with a whole lot of magic users casting spells in a combat.

Magic is resolved by the caster making a poker hand, the better the hand, the more effective the spell.

If you understand Savage Worlds, it's just the bigger and slightly more complicated brother of that

I only ever played Dungeon World, so no dice there. Is it hard to learn?

Are there lots of gunfights?

Not particularly hard to learn the basics, each of the different magic "classes" have different rules though. The number of gunfights are up the the GM really but the game is very fatal, an accurate gunslinger who is quick on the draw can put someone down before they can even unholster their pistol

Is everyone a caster?

Not at all, in fact the campaign I'm running at the moment is mostly gritty, minimal fantasy elements. There is enough variation in character creation that even if you have no magic users each character can be wildly different

Deadlands: Reloaded if you want a simpler, faster ruleset.

If you think Deadlands is too clunky, go with Savage Worlds. It's basically a cleaner, more general and universal version of Deadlands - like comparing AD&D to 5e.

Gamblers and Gunslingers. Able to run all flavours of western

Dogs in Vineyard if by "weird" you mean "occult"

Deadlands, but only first edition and only vanilla.