Can the exploration of scenery without puzzles or monsters ever be interesting...

Can the exploration of scenery without puzzles or monsters ever be interesting? Yume Nikki is a beautiful game to get lost in, and exploration gaming is making a comeback these days. I would love to be able to describe a rich and colourful world full of branching paths and watercolour serenity. But that's hard to translate into an rpg group. A lot of people say it can't be done...

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/16559310/BBC_Planet_Earth_II_COMPLETE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This works out if you play D&D B/X as it is supposed to be played. You can have a hex crawl, but you tell the players to map out things themselves and only give them verbal descriptions rather than a completed map. This is especially true of dungeon crawling where players will be required to map everything themselves. Players who are good enough at mapping will be able to find hidden rooms and the like.

Depends mostly on your group, you have to find and cultivate people into the roleplaying aspect.

In a rpgmaker game, easily even if you can't code to save your life.

On the table with people, depending on the context of the campaign and how well do the players understand that.
If they know they are playing explorers with every move they make uncover new shit as in Kingmaker, then it's easy.

Discovery is interesting, exploration is not

What do you think is the vital difference?

No one cares about the memetical fauna in your setting. We play the game to get exp and move the plot forward, not to jack off to plants.

Fuck you with a pitchfork. Go play Diablo while reading a fanfic.

I'd say that discovery requires obvious payoffs. You discover an interesting thing, you explore a general homologous(?) area.

how did you made this?

>Can the exploration of scenery without puzzles or monsters ever be interesting?
Yeah, but mostly as a change of pace. For example in a post-apo game, you can have a segment that has no puzzles or enemies or anything, if you make the atmosphere right it will be fun to explore it on it's own. Bonus points if there is something interesting to learn about the setting through exploration. Though it requires sufficient skill from you (if your description is shit, nobody will like it) and a certain mindset from players, e.g. opposite to this one:

fug :DD

Exploration of scenery might work in a visual context, where you can actually admire the physical appearance of the detail that game designers put into their levels.

If you're simply describing how pretty the trees are to your players, I don't think it will have the same positive effect.

Likewise, seeing a painting versus being in the dark and having the painting described to you.

I hate to say it, but I'm really more with and . There are a number of things that I think can be interesting in RPGs, but generally speaking, if the GM is putting excessive detail into how they explain the forest, the first things running through my head is "Check for traps" and "Is there treasure", not "such a beautiful landscape".

I pity you.

>and exploration gaming is making a comeback these days

In videogames? Take notice of how a lot of those fall flat on their face because they forgot all about interactivity. Unless you have a very odd group that just wants to hear you describe scenery you'd better make sure shit happens and they have stuff to do. Doesn't have to be combat, but it needs to be something, so don't pull out the happy fun murder time without knowing what to put in instead or everyone but you will be bored to tears within five minutes.

Alright guises what kind of stuff can happen in a desolated(of civilization) forests or other landscapes

thepiratebay.org/torrent/16559310/BBC_Planet_Earth_II_COMPLETE

Don't expect the novelty to last. As social beings, we humans tend to react more to interacting with other (kinda) humans.

Also keep in mind that pen and paper role playing is not a visual medium. Odds are you're not going to get very far with pretty imagery, because that's just stuck in your head, and very few have the story telling skills to take that and put it into the heads of others. If you could, you wouldn't be asking us about this shit.

what exactly is that? I feel tempted to download it if it gives me ideas but give me a quick synopsis first

>If you're simply describing how pretty the trees are to your players, I don't think it will have the same positive effect.
Well a good narrator may, I think, but that would be really hard to pull out and then that would work just as well as anything else.

It's Planet Earth 2 a BBC Documentary that takes a look at, you guessed it, Planet Fucking Earth.

I skimmed through it and it looks fucking beautiful.

I was more asking you what am I gonna learn from it. I will watch it at night to fall asleep, it looks great.

I'm not the guy who posted the link but it's just a nature documentary, you're going to learn about life on earth outside of humanity, that's about it, and that life is the ideas about desolate (of human life or civilization of any sort) forests, deserts, and so on, and how you could use that in a TTRPG.

das rpg maker my dude

Without anything to interact with? No. Setting is cool to have but you need a cool story with meaning choices for the players.

Just walking about cool settings (especially in a game with no graphics all in your head) is fairly boring

what is this from

Looks like a map of Jurassic Park made in RPG Maker.

i would say it could work if that exploration is also serving a narrative- maybe you're exploring the ruins of a long-lost civilization, trying to figure out why they disappeared. lore-based exploration can be really neat, but just looking at things to look at things might not work as well in a tabletop setting. (hell, it barely ever works in a gameplay setting- most exploration games involve you figuring out some sort of plot, no matter how abstract. in yumi nikki it's just so abstract it may as well not exist)

I was hoping it was an actual game.

it is. SNES

Remember, grooming works best when you're a full-beard Muslim and she's a young female.