ITT: Settings you'd love to translate into tabletop and play but can't because it requires more time and effort you're...

ITT: Settings you'd love to translate into tabletop and play but can't because it requires more time and effort you're willing to put into it on your own

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=da_KSTeBBGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just as a start. I fucking love the techno-primitive and post post-apocalypse aesthetic. Unsure as to what system could work with it.

Left 4 Dead, or zombie apocalypses in general.

Dwarf Fortress fueled by GURPS. I had a Discord group I was working with on here after I had the Calvin and Hobbes RPG, but it died as most Discord groups are wont to do. Though now that I think about it, Mythras would honestly be a better fit.

>but it died as most Discord groups are wont to do
are you having a stroke user

Do Discord Groups not die? Granted it was only five people.

The Clone Wars turned into a 28mm wargame like 40k. I want to have model MTTs and AATs really bad but I lack the conversion skills required.

Just homebrew D&D my dudes.

Unironically, I'd like to see more official information on the Dota 2 setting. I think the ideas behind the world and magic system are really cool.

I'd rather find a system that's closer to HZD rather than try to chop up D&D to suit it.

I think this is the first time he's seen the phrase "wont to do."

not Stranger Things specifically, but all of the movies that influenced Stranger Things- ET, Poltergeist, Goonies, Gremlins, Nightmare on Elm Street... all those suburban fantasy/sci-fi stories about little kids in small towns who end up way over their heads

Don't make me want these things, user.

Runescape
Not even joking, the Godwars setting/lore aspects would make a really good wargame

I've played both game quite a bit, and I fully acknowledge that dota 2 is a better game then lol in most ways, but League has a more fully realized universe with much more interesting characters that would translate better into a tabletop setting.

There is actually a system I've played that simulates this genre. Its called Tales from the Loop. It's on kickstarter and a friend of mine bought the book. Pretty fun.

Dota 2's lore is more subtle, almost Dark Souls like where everything is vague and left up to interpretation.

Look up SirActionSlacks dota loregasm videos, some are pretty interesting.

I've actually started attempts, but never finished up on it.

see , although i agree that league has a lot of good shit on it's setting, but i'm really not interested in it

I'd honestly be happy to just make dota 2's items into magic items for d&d - a blink dagger, glimmer cape, shadow blade, radiance, ethereal blade, shiva's guard or linken's sphere would make for some sweet-ass loot

this with pazio or DnD. ever fight can be a boss fight. but there is no grind in DnD so ??

I would say when it comes to the rework of league's setting it's gotten a lot better than DotA's, but both are good.
Mordekaiser/Noxus and the Shadow Isle's background is 10/10 now, only thing that got worse was Yordles (SOMEHOW THEY WERE POSSIBLE TO MAKE WORSE)

Piss off, yordles are the master race.

>Redwall: A Journeying Game
Something that's like a RPG but more gamey, like a mordheim type thing where groups of guys level up together in a campaign that culminates in a large battle. Survivors get a good end or help your next groups.

Not a setting but
>Modular Dungeons
Think a modular Tomb of Horros boardgame with all kinds of crazy randomly generated traps and challenges.
Dinotopia is another good one.
We once tried to do Edge Chronicles as a tg project.
Dune.

Initial D as an RPG

I want to do FreakAngels, or something that can handle post-apocalyptic urban fantasy

Zelda TTRPG

The movie, not the show. I'd probably do something wholecloth different as a following storyline.

I don't know what this one is, but that description sounds a lot like Numenera to me.

Seconding TftL for what you're looking for.

>Dota 2's lore is more subtle
Its Valve, they just don't put in any effort, drop a few vague hints and peace out, plan free and then, because they are valve instead of literally anyone else, everyone assume its ohso deep and masterful instead of comically lazy.

>Initial D as an RPG
Isn't that just the F-Zero RPG

They became fucking universal constants that happen to look like rodents, and their in game models aren't canon because they take form in however you perceive them. Everyone sees them differently. They're basically slightly less shit Kender now (besides Kled).
It hurts, Veigar and Ziggs were my favorites and I'm scared for their "reworked lore" when it comes.

Wasn't aware that existed, looks awesome

Da fuck is that?

I feel like Mutants and Masterminds could work as a good basis for a Dota2 or League of Legends tabletop rpg. I mean personally I've always seen both games as a kind of Fantasy Superhero fight club, the only problem is I think the whole item building aspect of both would be lost in that system.

Then again I've only played like two sessions of M&M so I would be a poor judge of that.

Fate Extra/CCC

>the only problem is I think the whole item building aspect of both would be lost in that system.
Frankly that's the least important part of the game translation. It might work.

Yeah, I haven't paid attention to league in a while, but that Vastaya shit is incredibly stupid. Like, I can see making Rengar one, even Ahri, but the Yordles? No, fuck you riot.

no dotas lore is terrible

I wish this game had DEEPEST LORE

Vastaya is fucking retarded Rengar is a full on animal man

Ahri and those bird fuckers are humans with animal parts and that bird bitch has the audacity to call Rengar a "race traitor". Rengar doesnt even act like a bad guy in the lore he just likes hunting.

The one thing that is kinda funny is how Rengar lost his parents but is raised by a human and becomes an amazing hunter while Nidalee loses her parents and is raised by animals. I always thought that when rengar is not hunting he acts more human than nidalee.

I started working on this, but put it on the back burner for awhile. Now that the expansion is coming out tomorrow, I feel my ambition returning.

Woops, forgot my pick. Must be too stressed.

Those are Meglings, user.

Steamworld heist, but I'd need folks who've actually played the game before we could even bother with the system

Infinity rule set?

Something like Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol, but some of the stuff in there is too out-there even for M&M. Unknown Armies might work. Maybe.

If there was one system for Fate you could just use it for any of the fate/things probably.

this is almost literally warhammer RPG: the videogame
seems pretty easy to translate
alternatively, Call of Ctulhu

The thing with league lore is that it mostly feels like fanfic, like someone tried to make a setting by throwing as many 'cool' ideas as possible to make a setting with no regards to overall tone.
The fact that many league characters are clear rip offs of existing characters in established franchises only add to my displeasure.

Dota on the other hand is a lot more subtile about how they tell the story, leaving room for speculation, interpretation and theories, like PA becoming spectre. additionally they have one theme and mostly stick with it, sure there are silly characters like bristleback and tusk but similar to Puck in Berserk they don't change the overall atmosphere.

Team Fortress 2.
Sounds stupid but hear me out: Stairs had been invented after the second story building and rocket jumping.
Wizards exist and anyone can use magic.
Australium is crazy, its the key to immortality, teleportation, and more.
Pyro's insanity could easily be a virus which makes people oblivious to the real world while making their preferred horrible acts be joyful fun and good deeds.
Gravel for some reason is highly valued.
It can be so good.

Veeky Forums did it already.

Or any Rainbow Six on that matter. An elite ops team that responds to terrorist threats, plans out the operation, breaks in and guns down baddies while saving civillians. Siege would probably be the best thanks to multiple country operators and their unique skill sets.

I wish its community wasn't a bunch of whiny bitches. Great fukken game though.

The Gears of War games are a guilty pleasure to me, and I would love to see a table top game for its setting. I'm not even talking about for a war game, which I think might have actually been done, I'm talking straight up roleplaying game. The Locusts are a fascinating villain, the human government is delightfully heroic and corrupt, and the lives of the scavengers are so painfully under explored that stepping into the shoes of people just trying to survive in the middle of a world wide apocalypse war has a ridiculous amount of potential in my eyes.

>additionally they have one theme and mostly stick with it, sure there are silly characters like bristleback and tusk

That doesn't change any of the shit they have with the actual characters themselves.
>4 characters each representations of the universal forces
>characters that are essentially guardians of nature
>Masters of Magic, immortal wizards
>Ancient dragons with great power
>Literal Gods
>Tyrants from the Underrealm

>some lolsorandom goblins that like bombs BOOM xd

Forgot muh image.

Strike! is good for the mechanics first approach the game uses. You then only need to compile the existing fluff, and maybe expand upon it a bit for a game (for example, what else is there to do but try to destroy the ancients?)

Power scale in dota is all over the place, but we all know who the true strongest hero of the lore is.

Dawn of War, particularly in 3.pf

Mein neger

well for me they just represent pic related

Dark Souls is something I'd be interested in running/playing a game in, but there's two problems.

1. Half the appeal of a Dark Souls game is the bleakness of the universe and that you're going to get your ass beat, get up, get beat, get up, and so on until you win. I don't really know how I'd translate this to a tabletop form without it either being hopelessly frustrating or simply removing tension from combat completely.

2. Crafting a workable narrative in the Dark Souls style would be a real trick. Part of the fun of Dark Souls is puzzling shit out for yourself by looking through item descriptions and filling in the gaps on your own. I don't really know how I'd do this for a group of in person players without just throwing exposition at them.

I think both arc warden and weaver are more likely to be the strongest hero.
Weaver for creating reality itself and zed for beeing able to imprison what at the current point are the strongest forces in the universe, the ancients.

You have fucking Gravity and Entropy as characters, but that shit still gets blown up by some bombs.

>dwarf fortress fueled by GURPS

I think that is quite possibly the most autismal thing I have ever read.

I'd love to make Borderlands into a RPG, but I'm already busy converting all my boardgames into Borderlands theme.

>1. Half the appeal of a Dark Souls game is the bleakness of the universe and that you're going to get your ass beat, get up, get beat, get up, and so on until you win. I don't really know how I'd translate this to a tabletop form without it either being hopelessly frustrating or simply removing tension from combat completely.

Have you considered the possibility of keeping the me hanic of resurrecting at bonfires? It's not very standard for tabletop RPGs, but the cycle of dying and then trying again until you make it seems to integral to Dark Souls that I'd strongly consider it.

So people who worship machine gods? or are we talking like full horizion zero dawn where the world is crazy old and civilization fell a long time ago and now its the people who are very weirdly primitive but also have scatterd peices of the long forgotten tech

Cause i mean if its the latter play other dust
it allows for rolling of enclaves most of which fall in the tech level 0 or tech level 1 category meaning they cant make more (this is sole production on their own btw) then stuff like knives and spears made with rocks and stick at level 0
And at level 1 make t hings like swords and actual metal spears
All in all it allows for a large varied experience if you are willing to put some time into rolling up a bunch of unique enclaves
Even the base ones are pretty good
Medium tech level outpost that has a crazed (ancient psychic) that they worship the non psychics are enslaved while the higher class are full of psychics
and then there is hope or salvation i dont remember its name that is a low tech like level 0-1 that just has a giant fucking food resource and is really cool towards everybody unless they are like 110% evil

Your second issue can be handled purely through how you reveal things. Have your NPCs always being vague fucks only pointing them in potential right directions. Create multiple areas that don't necessarily lead towards where your campaign is planned to go. When they beat a boss, give them the loot, then tell them literally nothing else. Be visually descriptive, but not narratively.

As it comes to the YOU DIED system, yeah, that might be harder to figure out. Maybe keep it similar to how the games handle it, except time does advance. So maybe they go back to get their souls, but the boss they tried to kill is gone and doing something else, and they have to go to a new location to deal with them. Or maybe the enemies are waiting in ambush to get them before they can get their stuff back. It's not perfect, but it would add a unique spin to things.

DOTA#:
There are PCs (as needed)
There are minions.
There are towers.
Etc.
Put the map into a VTT with a grid.
Done.

>much more interesting characters
Well that's certainly an opinion you're allowed to have. But still, I'd really like to argue the point.

lorewise the titan should also be mentioned.

Please, Techies were grandfathered in.

Honestly, I was surprised that it wasn't based on someones' RPG setting. That is wasn't made into a Japanese TRPG / Chitgame during the waning years of the RPG bubble even more so.

So I've sorta successfully written a couple of tabletop wargames, and I could totally make this happen. Absolutely loved the Redwall books growing up as a kid and there's plenty of scope for skirmish-scale battles supported by RPG-lite elements in that universe.

Transformers

Dota, like op

and Magic, the gathering.
(That doesn't use cards, or is one of tg's currently shitty homebrews)

>Magic, the gathering
I'm thinking FAE with colors as aspects

Would work out pretty well (although the stretching could be pretty bad).

>FAE
FATE? Yeah, I've entertain almost that exact same thought user. Assigned colors to you traits. Heck even roll in some custom activatable abilities like 1R: gain +1 to damage shift (Ala +1/0 )

Problem is
> requires more time and effort you're willing to put into it on your own

Maybe not literally this, but a similar themed metal setting. I actually developed quite a lot of ideas about how would I like to do that over the years, but I was always two occupied to properly sit down to it. One day I will.

FAE = Fate Accelerated.

It's a simplified Fate system. using things called "approaches" instead of skills and stats and stuff like that. Approaches are broadly applicable; they are things like "forceful" (while it's usually things like breaking down doors, it could be intimidating someone into doing something), etc.

You'd just replace those with the color wheel, since they work in similarly broad categories.

Does Dota lore, as small as there is of it, even has any sort of internal coherency? Isn't it pretty much just bunch of different characters with completely unimportant and unconnected backstories full of random names?
Come to think of it, are there any racing themed ttrpgs?

Same here, but it inspired me to make a more generic fantasy dungeon crawler system, with some similar mechanics to DD. Currently in the phase of playtests and writing it down in a form of a proper rulebook

>Come to think of it, are there any racing themed ttrpgs?

VeloCITY maybe.

I remember there actually being an (official?) F-zero RPG.

>Does Dota lore, as small as there is of it, even has any sort of internal coherency? Isn't it pretty much just bunch of different characters with completely unimportant and unconnected backstories full of random names?
No and yes.

The lore is entirely contained in the comics, which only establish characters for the various vendors, and character back stories which are mostly just random shit.

Some characters have minor relations with one another, like Lina and Crystal Maiden, but there's not an over-arching setting for stuff to be taking place in.

I like that one 3 panel fan-comic where it's speculated that Lina and CM are actually Jakiro's kids.

Ahri is trying to become human, which is why she's basically a human with animal ears and a tail

Rakan and Xayah are using magic to help them blend in wi th the humans as they appear to be trapped in the human world

I'd probably solve 1) by just running the game to be very, very difficult (traps, giving certain enemies dangerous abilities they have to avoid or learn to counter, making bosses genuinely hard or with weaknesses that cant be easily countered first try) and then having the players respawn at a bonfire, but with a limited number of respawns.

You could give them items like the DS2 Human Effigy or DS1 humanity, that keep them from turning Hollow. They can find more in the world, but keep them limited enough to keep things risky.

Could be fun actually. Fantasy Left 4 Dead, where increasing threats kill off your party as they struggle to find the next bonfire where their fellows can rejoin the party. You don't need to really worry about being particularly fair, and EXP even has a genuine explanation for once.

How about making it so that when they die they do respawn, but in some completely different place instead of the last bonfire they rested at? The death would still be dangerous, because it would make them lost and fuck up their plans, as well as make them closer to hollowing, but you would avoid the whole "having to replay the area again and again" thing. Could be kind of confusing, but cool if done well.

Huh; I remember you. Didn't you chug a bunch of pills and worked on it overnight?

Besides the comics, there's a series of lore videos made by the biggest meme in the scene that are pretty good. It doesn't have a lot to go on besides the brief hero lores and generally works by connecting those and keeping in mind things from the comics, but it's definitely not just random names and information without a sort of bigger picture.
youtube.com/watch?v=da_KSTeBBGk

>thresh- Chain wielding undead warden who seeks to lock up souls in his necrotic lantern
>axe- red guy, has an axe

It's not like there is that much to it, but come on user, you could at least try to read his lore and cherry pick a little less.

The lore we get is full of so much potential, but it's pretty much all implication and supposition.

you're right that that was cherry picked, but i still think it's representative

a more relevant example would be omniknight vs taric

essentially they are both protection paladins, but omni is really just a paladin that serves an abrahamic-esque god. Both Taric backstories before and after the rework are more original and interesting. Before he was a geomancer who draws from different gems to cause different effects on the battlefield. After he is the avatar of a mountain god and carries out his will

>Oracle: A dick-ass prophet who fucked over an entire kingdom by having all possible outcomes of a battle happen at a possible time and then flung through space to another world
>Garen: A fucking knight

I've always wanted to run or play a game in Bastion's setting.

>Garen: a fucking spinning knight

>Tristana: A midget with a cannon
>Elder Titan: The guy who forged the world and will break it again just to stomp your face in

There are plenty of characters in League who are boring beyond belief. That even includes some who used to be pretty interesting before Riot's new writing team decided to shit all over stuff that didn't need changing.

See: Poppy and Galio.

But instead of him take Dragonknight for example, who's backstory, although perhaps not that original, is much more and enough to imagine an interesting plot for him. Or Bloodseeker who's story is imo genuinely quite interesting and creative. There are both more original and more generic characters in both games, no sense in cherrypicking to see which one is "better" in this aspect. It's not like lore and writing is important for mobas anyway, at least not too much. And since to make a proper setting you would have to speculate and add lots of stuff to both of them, it all boils down to personal preference really.