How risky is it searching for players from Veeky Forums? Any horror stories?

How risky is it searching for players from Veeky Forums? Any horror stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/SS1Q2).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't do it.

I have recruited forty some players from game finder threads, and only three have actually been respectable.

What's the alternative then? Roll20 LFG seems really undependable as well.

Hit and miss. Half are people who actually believe the solid advice given on how to be a good player, and the other half are the reason we have to advise people on how to be good players.

If you just go "hurr you want in you get in first come first serve" you're going to be fucked no matter where you recruit from.

Make them submit an actual application, including things like character sheet, personality, backstory, answers to sample "what would your character do if..." questions, etc. Then throw out the obvious trash and you'll most likely have decent results.

I've played two campaigns with Veeky Forums.

Only one guy was a shitty player. It wasn't even intentional or malicious or anything, he was just really stupid and autistic. Like he couldn't carry on a discussion or conversation and kept making weird jokes and references. We just ended up letting him do whatever.

Personally I'd highly recommend playing with Veeky Forums so long as they know what kind of game they're getting into and you know what they're here for. They're a bit easier to play with than random autists you find on the internet.

Playing with friends irl or people you hit off with at your LGS is the best experience.

Played a grand total of once with fa/tg/uys, and it's currently working well for me, with much less autism than expected. Low sample size, though, so what do I know.

All of my friends are fa/tg/uys, but we met through other means

Group 1:
We're a bunch of pervs and sex is often part of the campaign but if we were in other groups most of us could.
Its a bunch of fun shitposting.

Group 2:
Literally everyone is Thatguy chaotic stupid. Even the GM. ESPECIALLY the GM.
The first group goes on Veeky Forums more than the second.

>most of us could.
*most of us could hold our autism back

Is it often an issue with organising games online where people will miss sessions with no explanation? I've never played with online strangers but I imagine that would happen quite often

Roll 20 looking for game
One of the only things i can say that would in my experiences be 100% worse then recruiting from tg

The dubs and trips speak the truth.
I have had one really solid Roll20 rando group, but that's like winning the lotto.
Veeky Forums has the autismos, but we're high functioning at least.

ive never seen so many Mary sues and "i want to play race from this blog i found about d&d" then on roll 20
i played with a guy who was a home brewed lizard-kin
was a hermaphrodite lizard lady with a extendable dick and vagina
He also tried to erp with a handful of the npc's
And the dm's (yes plural) encouraged it

Well, I did accidentally end up bringing that guy into the game once (imgur.com/a/SS1Q2). Aside from that, I've been playing with the same group of fa/tg/uys for going on perhaps five years now.

God dammit hes the worst kind to
Hes not 100% annoying like some autistic people
ya know the kind you say "wow you are just insufferable"
he's that kind of person who believes facts that are wrong states they are right
Refuses to back them up or does it with sources that are 100% wrong
And also is just annoying enough that you want to kick him out but not really
Jesus christ i have a friend just like this im sorry for the hell you went through user

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was a learning experience. While I do feel bad about how I min/maxed my Explorator to hell and back, it was the only thing that let me survive the death cult assassins he sent after me.

I've found literally every one of my players from Veeky Forums. Two of them are now my best real life buddies.

I say go for it. You can ditch the really bad folk easily anyway, but the true friends you make will stay with you forever.

proud of you my dude

So far game finder players are batting a better average than roll20 applicants for me.

Yeah I screened players from both sources. Not screening open applications, especially for highly popular games, is going to get you a random sample of people who are unlikely to be even remotely compatible with you and your group.

Yes. People vanish on you a lot. As a general rule I recruit 4ish times more initial applicants than I need. Half go in the trash because they aren't compatible with the group, then half of that wind up vanishing because internet.

Honestly?
As risky as finding players anywhere.

The only "that guy" I ever knew was an IRL friend of mine who was just such an insufferable cunt when it came to ttrpgs, stopped playing with him altogether several years ago. But people from Veeky Forums I played with were all generally nice people.

ever have one like this?

You should've used some other color than white to remove your name and pic, it's confusing with white

Care to share good screening methods and questions?

Honestly, Veeky Forums can be so contrarian at times, I don't even know which one you think is a retard.

Just ask them "What is your opinion on the Jewish menace?" You can easily tell the right-wing AND left-wing nutters from the normal folk.

>You can easily tell the right-wing AND left-wing nutters from the normal folk.
Because those are the only ones who won't immediately leave?

Rule 1 is to balance the application requirements with the amount of applicants you want. If you screen too much then people just won't apply because you look paranoid.

I think any good game listing should have the following:

1. A summary of what the game is about. Including the inspirations for the game (other media for example) and/or a few of the most common gameplay activities is good. No more than 500 words or one page. Less is better. Players will screen themselves for you if you give them this information.

2. Something about who you are, what you enjoy, and your level of experience. Again, players will screen themselves based on this information.

3. A short list of possible misunderstandings about the above. Like, if you are running D&D you might want to clarify if you are going to be talking to a lot of NPCs or killing lots of monsters or both.

Then there's the stuff players should give you. I like:

4. Contact info.
5. Times free to play for scheduling reasons.
6. Level of experience with the game and gaming in general.
7. Something they find important about them with some relevance to the game. Like, a time they did something cool in a game, or the kind of character they have in mind, or whatever.

A common list of things I have rejected applications for:
Really bad grammar or extreme lack of information. Clearly did not read my application notice (i.e. asks questions I've already answered). Does not provide requested information like contact info or availability. Requests exceptions to the rules straight away. Schedule doesn't work with other players. Not old enough or seems immature. Seems obsessed or fixated on something. No reply within 7 days. Clearly does not enjoy the premise of the game as stated. Completely new barren profile (on sites like roll20 where you have a profile). Come across as noncommittal or flakey. Elitist. Wants to join as a group with a bunch of friends.

Eyy, it solved it self!

> otherwise it will be people that won't sell the VHS tape!

Holy fucking shit.

Ask players what they expect from a game.
Or, in a more subtle fashion, ask them to cite two or three memorable moments from games they've played before if it isn't their first time. I like the latter, because it really shows what they like in their sessions, for better or for worse.
People who play for the lolrandumb will talk about the NAT20 THAT KILLED THE DRAGON BY SLAPPING IT WITH MY DICK.
More story driven players will probably talk about plot twists or roleplay moments they found really engaging. Crunch players will talk about moments a crazy build worked out. etc.

I've had good luck meeting up with people off of generals for Wargames, but I make a point of getting their email and talking to them a bit before I divulge what I look like, where I play, etc.

I would never meet up with one on here for an RPG. A wargame is short enough that if the guy is weird or whatever I can leave after a couple hours and it's no big deal. An rpg and I'm potentially stuck with that guy all night. That, and I hear nothing but horror stories.

Shit man, that's pretty hilarious, in a tragic way. I've never had the displeasure of playing with someone like that.

Thought the person from this cap would definitely enjoy playing with my "that guy" friend. He was a "that GM" desu, and his NPCs were 90% like that

I'm all out of vomit, yet I'm still reading... WHAT IS THIS?!

You can also consider whether or not you want to screen players by interviewing them in addition to or in lieu of some of that junk. You can tell a lot from a 10 minute conversation, and talking to somebody one-on-one makes it less likely the player will vanish into the shadowrealm where all online players who suddenly stop responding to you go.

Heard some Veeky Forums players are skinwalkers.

though obviously, skinwalkers aren't real and even if they were, they aren't dangerous.

The good ones already have games.

Solid advice. Seriously just chatting with someone for a bit will tell you if they're a sperglord or "That Guy" 9 out of 10 times.

I wouldn't worry about something like that, user.

You're in a desert, you look down and you see a tortoise

TURTY!

LOL what is this a job interview its just a game man LMAO get a life xD

Probably going to steal some of these questions next time I have to look for players.

ecksdee

I'd rather fill out an application then play with total randoms. It's not fun for anyone when you get douches in the game.