How do you handle 'alternative timelines' for your worlds? Is time travel possible in them?

How do you handle 'alternative timelines' for your worlds? Is time travel possible in them?
Such as 'the cold war is still going on' or 'Pangaea never separated"? Do you go full in-depth and try to think of something realistic or for the fun of it brush it off as 'mammoths are still around and commies are riding them so deal with it'?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dzKWfw68M5U
nature.com/nature/journal/v544/n7651/full/nature22065.html
youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUBF27hJ7Gk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=dzKWfw68M5U

>you will never stand upon the quarterdeck of a ship directly on the exact opposite side of the world from the centre of the Pangaea supercontinent, and look up into an alien night sky filled with the beauty of the universe when it was younger.

Actually, how different WOULD the night sky have looked back then?

As not a scientist, I'd say about the same if not more stars than what you would see somewhere relatively void of smog and pollution.

Would be neat to know if any other planets moved, if there was a few stars that we wouldn't see today, etc but I didn't pay attention in school.

225 millions years ago is more than enough for a way, way different sky, you'd likely not recognize anything. It's also about the time it takes the Sun to make one full orbit in the Milky Way.

So that's why there are humans, apes, monkeys and lemurians on all continents except australia?

>no humans in Australia

lol wut

Correct.

>aboriginal are one of the oldest cultures on earth
>possibly over 60,000 years
and yet it was still declared terra nullius.this may have been the most bullshit thing in history.

They have a culture?

>They have a culture?
Had.

Ausfag here, they never got beyond hunter-gatherer society. I mean, sure, it's a culture, of sorts, but the extent that politically correct people go to acknowledge them is a bit absurd, in my opinion.

And in that 60,000 years they had invented the stick and a few sub-types of stick.

>Ausfag here
which means your opinion can be ignored utterly

Why are stormweenies so uneducated? Not like it's hard to find decent books on the subject.

t. abbo

also an ausfag here, just because you are nomadic doesn't mean your cultureless

Then please tell us of the great accomplishments of the Abbos,

I usually try and put as much thought and effort into it as I can. My players never give a shit but I don't mind, I just do it for my own entertainment.

>hurr durr snakes are primates
t. Lamia fags

Sailing across the Indian ocean with stone age tools.

I dunno, I just don't think being less advanced makes you less human or less worth to be treated decently
Natives generally suffered and a lot of them are in bad situations even now, I don't it's PC to admit it.
Altough you are maybe only speaking about pretending they were not primitives, they indeed were even if even primitive cultures are interresting IMO.

Bent stick
Hollow stick
Pointy stick

Which they then forgot how to do after a while.

I thought they walked across during an ice age. Or at most sailed from PNG

When you tear yourself from the timeline of your world you can never return, and you likely only have one shot to enter a new timeline due to costs. Choose wisely. Hitler did and wound up a waiter in France.

One idea I've had but not sure how one would implement it is having the main threat be a hostile completely alien alternative timeline. Basically, there'd be a "road not taken" timeline that would have diverged from the prime timeline at Cambian era, with completely different phylums surviving so you end with for all intents and purposes completely alien world. Except this world doesn't "really" exist, not in the same sense as the prime world does, and is trying to impose itself onto the prime timeline to make it the "real" world and our timeline a theoretical alternative.

There is actually a recent dig in California (or somewhere close) that has what appears to be a mammoth butchering site way earlier than the land bridge.

I think they are still excavating that site.

You mean this?
nature.com/nature/journal/v544/n7651/full/nature22065.html

Also god damnit how annoying it is to find out good details on when they believe the land bridge has existed.
I find the latest emergence, which implies earlier emergences but then there's no mention of when those were.

youtube.com/watch?v=t7EAlTcZFwY

Makes for a background of a cool setting.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUBF27hJ7Gk

Not all people are equal. That this needs to exist is proof of this.

>Not all people are equal.
I find it really sad that people took "men are equal in rights" to be "men are equal" and get angry when you point differences.