Okay

Okay.
I'm totally fucked.
I have to run a campaign in 2 weeks for 6 people.
None of them have played before.
I have never DM'd before.
I was all set to make a short dnd thing since I found pdfs for it online and I figured I could dm it decently.
But they've all gotten together and decided what they want the campaign to be and have now passed it on to me.
So I have to figure out how to make Kill la Kill tabletop.
In 2 weeks.
HELP

What system? If you say 5e, abandon your project now.

However if you haven't decided yet... Savage Worlds will probably be best, just institute the death rules from Toon to make it more anime, and to prevent frustration from the SW exploding dice.

If you could get your hands on tri stat (a.k.a. BESM) your set. Maybe ninja burger for a super light game. If you want a real challenge try Anima beyond fantasy.

Or drink pool chemicals and brake fluid, whichever.

Seconded. I'd say use GURPS as an alternative to SW if that doesn't pan out, but that invites a nightmarish mix of balance issues and potential problems that only a more seasoned DM should have to put up with.

GURPS Lite is best

This is your first lesson as a DM. Players are idiots. Especially new players.
You need to refuse to run the game. Just say no. It is YOUR campaign not theirs. You run what you want to run and if they don't like it then they can get a different DM.
Never, ever, under any circumstances allow players to gather together and decide what they want the campaign to be. You will hate it (whatever it is) and they will hate it too, because your interpretation won't be the same as what they had in mind and they will either bitch about it or just be disappointed or bored.

I haven't picked a system as i have no idea what to use.
I'll look into all those, thank you.

FATE is a good system for running pretty much anything including this

I had no idea they'd gotten together until they told me.

Okay, i know i'm the guy that spouts the crap about that thread constantly, but here me out on this.

Kamigakari is basically made for this kind of shit. Wholesale. Its simple to learn, relatively easy to GM, There's not rolling or whatever for character creation so they just need to pick and choose within their limit. Rolling is stupid easy. Its almost always 2d6+mod.

And its built for high tension anime shenanigans like your players seem to want.

Yeah. Savage Worlds is the 5e of point-buy systems. You're not gonna find a more simple system with enough crunch for new players. A lot of people don't realize that Risus and other rules-lite systems aren't good as a first-time rpg system. It expects payers to already have experience in role-playing so they can handle being so freeform. Savage Worlds has enough rules that it gives players a backbone to work with, but isn't so bloated that it's intimidating.

There are better systems out there, but they really can't win against the "Just use 5e" argument for newbies.

Sounds like you lost your way, Op.

>I'm a player, entertain me!
Involve them in figuring this out, at least on mechanics. They need to participate or to stop being egoistic and act like it's your job.

Just tell them 'I can't really see how I'd run that. Sorry. I'd rather run (whatever you want to run).'

If they agree to play your campaign, good.
If they elect a new GM, you can play instead. (and if they don't want you to be a player, you know they're not your friends).
If they whine, you know not to play pnp with them.

That sounds like dog shit.

Honestly if you and your players are new to the game you need to run a premade module for new players to work out how the game actually runs. You also need to read all of the rule books.

You will utterly fail miserably to design an entire campaign from scratch and run it because you have no experience what so ever with the game.

I really would not suggest playing Savage Worlds. It is a badly designed system with terrible meta-mechanics that encourage not only metagaming but ending session early, it also makes it near impossible for characters to fail at anything. The gun mechanic are broken, and literally do not make sense. The only thing it is good for is being a miniatures wargame, and it even sucks at most of that. Exploding dice make stupid shit happen constantly, the damage is way overkill for 90% of the threats allowing characters to one-shot massive creatures with tiny weapons. On the other end, characters literally cannot fail, because they have three bennies per session which allow them to reroll whatever the fuck they want (not damage rolls, to be fair, but still). And the GM is told he is a piece of shit if he doesn't hand out more bennies for "good roleplaying" (in other words, stupid nat20-lolz bullshit). Also the characters get to roll a wild die with their normal roll and take the wild die if it is higher, thus making them even less likely to fail at anything. Not to mention the cancer of the bennies being basically a safe-space for retarded character actions, CAN and WILL spread to other RPGs you play with this group. Just count down the sessions until your character asks during D&D after failing a roll "can I have a bennie"? No, get fucked faggot. Failure is an important part of RPGs and Savage Worlds throws that shit out the window.

Nah, the system works great as a first time system because of all of that. Gives new players a bit of a safety net. We can worry about the grittiness and salt after they've been introduced to the world of gaming.

And please, Virt, we love to hate you bro, but we need more original bait than this.

I'm not joking here, this system is literally made for this shit.

Its also crunchy enough to keep players in line, but fluff-friendly enough that basically any of the stupid shit that happens in KLK could happen.

All you need to run it even is a top down map of honnouji academy and the surrounding town, and a grid to use as a battle space.

i'm willing to bet dicks for dollars that almost any other system won't work out as you want it too.

>op asshurt that he has a full 2 weeks to plan for a campaign

Top kek. Are you trolling or are you really this pathetic? I've prepared campaigns literally the night before and spent about 30 minutes writing down ideas, the players thought it was the best campaign ever. I ran the entire thing off of like 4 note cards. It's still going to this day. But then again, I am one of the best Dungeon Masters on this planet. Or, should I say, Game Masters, because I've run a variety of systems and I run them to perfection. I strike the perfect balance of sandbox and railroad, of combat and roleplay, of rule-of-cool and rules-lawyer. I am pretty much the best GM out there, and I am currently running 6 (yeah, six) different campaigns. At the same time. I play 3 times a week and I also bake homemade snacks for players in the games which I host at my home. There is an eight month waiting list to get into one of my games. Furries, bronies, and anyone who's not okay with playing a race from the Player's Handbook (assuming we are playing D&D/PF) are not welcome. I've run campaigns that lasted 10 years. Two of my campaigns have run for over 5 years as players came and went. I would estimate I have over 5,000 hours of GM experience. So I am halfway to mastering the craft. And that's not including the hours of prepwork, which are only about 2,000 hours in all likelihood. So yeah, I've done this more than most people do their jobs. I have literally been offered money, unsolicited, to run a game. I don't sell my services, though; I'm not a cheap whore like those worthless fucks on Roll20 who create autistic campaign settings full of Mary Sues. I don't do that shit. There might be an NPC party member on rare occasions, or an NPC that travels with and fights with the party, but I don't do DMPCs, I don't railroad, I don't force the players to do all the work, I weave multiple plot threads together almost effortlessly with minimal planning.

So yeah, I'm pretty much the best GM out there.

I'm not that guy, but I'd give this a try. if only because GURPS is not a good system to start out with imho

No, the system is complete trash because it rewards shitty player decisions with the bennies. Whichever stupid fucking cunt came up with the Bennies in Savage Worlds honestly needs to get cancer of the ass. I mean there's a lot of shitty mechanics in that game, and really I think there are only one or two good things about Savage Worlds, but it would be a fine game if they took out of some of the retarded shit. For example Wild Dice which are meant to prevent PCs from failing because muh special plot armor. However, where the game really shits the bed, is with the bennies.

You get three bennies each session, so right away this is stupid shit. What if you run very short sessions, or sessions that are heavy on the roleplay? They suggest a four hour session but the bennies aren't per hour, they are based on out-of-game shit. So your best strategy is to get into the game, avoid rolling for anything, then do one combat and suddenly be fucking invincible because you have a shitload of bennies. Oh and you can take feats for more of them, you can have up to seven as a child halfling, and that's WITHOUT the gamemaster handing them out like candy, which he is supposed to.

Between bennies and wild die it is nearly impossible for the characters to fail at anything. They can use them to soak damage or even reroll damage in some games. Basically they are a win button for the PCs. And the worst part? Once you play Savage Worlds, the cancer of bennies will spread into your other games. Playing GURPS, or Dungeon World? Characters will fail a roll and literally ask "can I have a bennie?" No, go fucking kill yourself. The day I heard that was the last day I owned an intact Savage Worlds core book. It went in the trash, along with the rest of this fucking awful system.

And because the rest of the thread has turned into a flame war over "MUH SYSTEM IS BETTER"

I just wanna help the guy.

just use tenra bansho zero

Alright, yeah, this is real bait! I'd suggest more detail in one of your sessions, but other than that I'm about ready to strangle you. Good job!

You know... I want to take you seriously except this whole Dungeon World AND GURPS thing just utterly screams Virtpost that I just get bored reading it.

Top kek. Are you trolling or are you really this pathetic? I've prepared crusades literally the night before and spent about 30 minutes writing down strategies, the pope thought it was the best crusade ever. I lead the entire thing off of like 4 companies. It's still going to this day. But then again, I am one of the best Crusaders on this planet. Or, should I say, Military Strategist, because I've lead a variety of armies and I lead them to perfection. I strike the perfect balance of attack and defense, of combat and reinforcement, of diplomacy and militarism. I am pretty much the best Military Strategist out there, and I am currently leading 6 (yeah, six) different crusades. At the same time. I fight 3 times a week and I also bake homemade snacks for the soldiers in the battles which I host at my territory. There is an eight month waiting list to get into one of my battles. Sarracens, Turks, and anyone who's not okay with fighting a war for the Lord (assuming we are invading Jerusalem) are not welcome. I've run crusades that lasted 10 years. Two of my crusaders have run for over 5 years as soldiers came and went. I would estimate I have over 5,000 battles of military experience. So I am halfway to mastering the craft. And that's not including the hours of prepwork, which are only about 2,000 hours in all likelihood. So yeah, I've done this more than most people do their jobs. I have literally been offered money, unsolicited, to lead a crusade. I don't sell my services, though; I'm not a cheap whore like those worthless Teutons in Acre who create autistic crusades full of infidels. I don't do that shit. There might be a jew on rare occasions, or a pagan that travels with and fights with the army, but I don't do muslims, I don't railroad, I don't force the soldiers to do all the work, I weave multiple plot strategies together almost effortlessly with minimal planning.

So yeah, I'm pretty much the best Military Strategist out there

Is this pasta?

It is now.

I feel like I've just watched the miracle of birth. It's beautiful.

I'm givin one last call for kamigakari before this thread fully devolves into shitposting. There's a thread up for it right now, so you can grab the PDF and anything else you need pretty quick.

I'm also usually available to give advice or make specific enemies, so feel free to come on over. If you do you do, if you don't, you don't.

Hey dude, I DM homebrew. Have been for a while but the system I started with is a nitty gritty one called

>Rune Quest

If your players like darksouls and/or real big fucking challenges. Put them up in this system the combat is bonkers but easy to use.

It's also good for the DM because it prevents Murder Hobos (PC's that kill everything to solve their problems.) which helps your story flow better.

Have you thought of a scenario yet? I'd love to help with that but you can find the entire compendium of RuneQuest rules with a few google searches.

>"I wanna be a DM! I wanna be a GM!"

No.

"GMing" is one of the worst blights inflicted on gaming in the modern era, right next to anime and video games. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the players and interactivity alike. Any stupid shit your DM wants to do they justify with "GMing." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid plot twists (fucking BBEG) has them whining for GMing. They beg for speshul snowflake DMPCs, railroading, and stupid monsters on the pretense of "GMing." And on the flipside, gaming with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."

I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a plot there to throw hooks at all the PCs and kill the bad guys, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its GMing~!

I tried introducing my DM to this cool historical fantasy campaign I wanted to play last weekend so he could bring their characters this weekend, and he immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my NPC to be an elf!"
There are no elves. There are only humans.
>"I want to be a ninja!"
There are no ninjas in Europe.
>"Yeah but there might be!"

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new GM because every shitty ass DM nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like Dungeons and Dragons. Nobody expected to read about an all-powerful overlord in Lord of the Rings. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real gaming and the unrealistic anime tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the sparkleys and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settettings/plots. They think they're entitled to be GMs instead of part of something bigger.

No, I just typed it out.

Going full homebrew for a complete bunch of tabletop newbs is not a good idea by any stretch of the imagination.

Its like giving a toddler a chainsaw and expecting him to know how to use it.

Ho, yep! I'd recognize that lengthy, angry, and empty posting style anywhere. I mean, I know you folks think I'm virt, but seriously, I don't spend nearly this much effort being this Fucking angry.

GURPS, make combat lethal and agile.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Dungeon Master" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. GameMasters deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine GM in Veeky Forums for 2,400,000 shitposts (that's about 20,000 pastas) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid railroad with my GM.
Veeky Forums smiths spend years working on a single GM and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest GMs known to mankind.
GMs are thrice as sharp as D&D's DMs and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a DM can run, a GM can run through. I'm pretty sure a GM could easily bisect a that guy wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why medieval Veeky Forums never bothered conquering Veeky Forums? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined GMs and their campaigns of destruction. Even in World War II, /b/ soldiers targeted the men with the GMs first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? GMs are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system.

Risus. It might sound like a cop out but it's 6 pages and free so just google it. Super simple so you can focus more on DMing and less worrying about rules. Plus the players will be able to understand no prob. You can use it for anything and it's my go to for teaching roleplaying too. Once you get your feet wet then move on to other systems that are more specific to what you want to do or offer more. Those extra things are great but don't mean much if you're too new. However, 2 weeks is a decent amount of time so don't cross off any of the other recommended systems if they catch your eye. Don't lose your way OP and goodluck

No, Risus won't work for the reasons I've stated here:

I thought we banned Virt?

>settettings
So, Pasta thread?

Even with the bennies, I frequently fail rolls in Savage Worlds and have seen others fail as well. None of us care about ending the session early with them around either, nor about wasting time just fucking around doing nothing: we want to play, so we play, whether we have bennies left or not.

You must've just had the bad luck of finding a really shitty group.

>PDF
But running without physical books is terrible

Tell them tough shit, you get what you get. Toxic fucking players right there, day 1, you need to stomp that shit down before they start complaining that you killed their characters when the run ibto a fight where they're totally outgunned and didn't try to fight smart

>Never DMed before
>Plans to run a fucking CAMPAIGN
>Built from the ground up based on some anime
>2 weeks
It's time to say stop, user. Let your players know you cannot do the impossible.

Fast. Good. About some random thing they like. They pick 2.

Don't let them think they can bully you into putting this much effort, in so little time, into something they clearly barely care about (because if they only told you "oh let's do a KLK game" 2 weeks from game day then they don't value your time and they don't really like KLK that much).
I know this kind of group. You'll work yourself to death, they won't know how much effort went into the game, and your game won't get past Session 3 (and that's if you're lucky.)

If you really want to do this because you hate yourself pick some one-page system and pull all this shit out of your ass, when someone complains you can suggest running the starter set for [whatever system] instead.

So your players got together and, without your input, decided what game you'd be running for them. That's cute.

>Kill la Kill
Jesus Christ, why bother. Tell them to watch the show and write some fanfic instead of involve you in their wankery.

If they've never played tabletop before and you've done your D&D homework, run the starter set and see how they like it. If you and they develop the itch, then move on to another system that falls more inline with their animu bullshit.
There's no reason to prepare a campaign from the ground up if your players decide ttrpgs aren't their "thing" by the third session

>Even with the bennies, I frequently fail rolls in Savage Worlds and have seen others fail as well.
Then you are bad at playing.

>You must've just had the bad luck of finding a really shitty group.
Yeah, I made the bad choice of choosing a group that plays Savage Worlds.

>None of us care about ending the session early with them around either, nor about wasting time just fucking around doing nothing: we want to play, so we play, whether we have bennies left or not.
I don't give a fuck what they did. It is a bad mechanic because it creates an optimal strategy of metagaming.

>Kill la Kill
Jesus fucking Christ, get better friends

KlK was good

Kek le Drek was utter trash.

Why the fuck are you rolling over and letting your players dictate things to you like that? First order of GMing is remembering that you're ultimately the one in charge. Without you, there's no game at all for any of these people.

Well lets hear what you call good then, so we may all laugh at you for your equally plebeian taste.

Well, yes, but it's all too easy to rotate IP addresses.

>Kill la Kill tabletop
Expound on this: Kill la Kill in what sense? Because you could swing that sort of bombastic gonzo action setting in 4e and 5e quite well, that's all in the presentation and having the right sort of esoteric thread hyuk in magic item design and how groups relate to each other.

Do they also demand it to be modern? Or set in a high school, etc., replicating that setting? Then tell them "no," and work out a new concept with the group, or run a different system.

>recommending D&D to a new group that hasn't been tainted by it yet
kys

Brusque condemnations just make you sound like an asshole. Nobody's here to be handed opinions by condescending strangers, so if you want to bother replying you may as well describe why anybody should care.

He's the one that said he's DMing, genius.
Besides--you're acting as if it doesn't inform RPG design even if by contrast. Every possible option is tainted by D&D.

I'm not recommending OP goes homebrew. Homebrew has worked for me but its taken a full year for it to be what it is now. I'm recommending he go Runequest.

Sucks for them, but they're going to have to do their session zero again. This time with the GM. Remember while you're there to make sure the game appeals to everyone, you're the one that has to prep and run it so you have full veto power.