Everyone else in the setting starts eating tyranids. Problem solved

It's like the galaxy's largest seafood buffet! If tyranids don't taste that good I'm
Sure they can be seasoned or processed enough to be better than what most imperials and Orks already eat.

Are you physically retarded?

Your stupidity is so horrendous that the American peopke should rise up and pass legislation that requires your testicles to be surgically removed, cremated and then have the ashes buried next to Hitler.

They eat people and shit by turning them into what's pretty much soylent green, why not just do that but with Nids?

>Over the course of ten minutes, tyranids evolve to either be completely indigestible or infest/mutate/kill whatever eats them.

And there's your answer.

When the primary source of obtaining such nidmeat would be to poke a hive fleet, which has weapons capable of snapping battleships at the macro scale, and individual units capable of eating space marines at the more micro scale, it becomes incredibly difficult to harness it as a food source.

Culturing nid biomass runs into the problem of "then you have tyranid bioforms floating around your lab" and suddenly dead scientists, alpha bioform mutating and hivefleet getting called.

Easier to mulch your dead citizens into corpse-starch to feed them than it is to try and harvest the hungry galactic bioweapons.

No amount of evolution can surpass the voracious CHINESE. Chinese people eat everything, including rocks and wood. The more dangerous and poisonous an animal is, the more valuable it becomes and Nids are the creme de la creme. A SM chapter consisting of Chinese people will eat through a Nid swarm in no time, cutting of Nid fins for soup while discarding the rest. Fear the Chink Marines.

Skaven can't become space marines

post that tyranid erotica fanfic

>implying the Orks over in the Octarius sector aren't eating nids for dinner at this very moment
I mean, they had to clean up Octaria somehow after murdering the frag out of every Nid on the planet somehowincluding Swarmy. Poor Swarmy. ;_;. Probably held a massive barbecue that served roast Termagaunt car and Hive Tyrant ribs. Scary thing is, the Orks would do this and it'd work simply because they believe it does. Their "Waaagh! field" reality-fuckery lets those greenskinned bastards get away with a lot of crazy bullshit.

Also
>it's rather hard to know when to mutate after you've been turned into processed gruel

Is there any kind of a source on this, or is it speculation?

8th edition rulebook literally says that new tyranid hive fleets are arriving and eating the old ones

GW hates Nids and wants them swept away

>8th edition rulebook literally says that new tyranid hive fleets are arriving and eating the old ones
>new tyranid hive fleets are arriving and eating the old ones
>New Tyranid Hive Fleets
>Hive Fleet Hydra
>New
We've known about the Hive Fleets mentioned in 8e for awhile user. Hydra's om nom noming scattered tendrils other Fleets (Leviathan if the image is any indication) is definitely a peculiar action though.

Perhaps the Norn Queens in Hive Fleets are more independent of the Hive Mind than we thought...

maybe there's more than one hive mind and they are competing for dominance.

>maybe there's more than one hive mind
>mfw the Shadow in the Warp is actually just multiple Hive Minds bitching at each other/arguing over the right strategy

They have acid for blood.

You might be onto something here, but I don't think chinese exist anymore on 40k

Kek

It's called Tapatio and it goes well with lime

You know that when Nids each other hive fleets, they just get stronger, right? No biomass is lost, and all the genetic material is exchanged. Hydra is probably trying to become a super-fleet with all the hive fleet characteristics combined

>one hive mind is Gork
>the other is Mork
>neither remembers which one is which

It turns out the tyranids were just running away from other tyranids

that's not how physics work.

No, it's just retarded Tyranid fanwank. Only certain morphs can manage mutations, and they only come into effect on the following generation of Tyranids.

>physics
...have you MET 40k?

Yes let's eat the living biological warfare vectors literally crawling with virulent flesh-eating parasites that exhale toxic spores and bleed poison ichor and corrosive acid. What could possibly go wrong?

Yes that is how physics work.

This is very old news and it's very very bad for the other races of the galaxy, not for the Tyranids.

Doesn't the act of attacking, consuming and digesting each other wastefully expend energy causing a net loss in biomass? Or are nids solar powered now?

Nids don't consume biomass for energy. They consume it to make more nids.
It is a raw material from which to make more shit for them. Eating worlds is basically them harvesting more clay to make more nids with, along with useful genetic material with which to improve the nids. It is basically their reproductive process.

Presumably majority of their energy needs are provided by stellar radiation.

Yes, it does. GW writers either don't know or don't care. If you want to follow their fluff you have to either willingly suspend your disbelief over how energy expense works, or correct 'nothing is lost' into 'comparatively little is lost'.

If you want to. In general, though, it's just stupid, like most 40k stuff if you look too deep into it.

Tyranids are so toxic and inedible that even the Kroot can't derive sustenace from them. It's so bad that they can immediately tell that somebody was tainted by a genestealer cult because of how rancid and fucked up their genetics are even after several generations.

I don't even think Chaos demons like to eat nids, they're pretty universally loathed

because tyranids are extremely toxic.
even space marines would be killed.

tyranids get energy from starlight, BFG had a speed upgrade that was basically fluffed as solar panels.

If we go by "tyranids are solar powered" the energy they would waste in attacking and consuming each other is pretty much irrelevant as their hive ships are on 24/7 free energy subscription.

Pretty sure the chinese solved the chinese problem in the most 40k way ever
by eating each other

>Or are nids solar powered now?
Since when have ecosystems not been solar powered? Nids have never eaten for energy, that assimilate the biomatter into the Hive Fleet so they have more raw material to work with in making more nids.

>Yes that is how physics work.
I believe user was talking about how absolutely zero biomass was lost in the exchange, which may or may not violate the laws of thermodynamics or conservation of mass.

I dunno. It's early in the morning and I haven't had caffeine yet...

Shut up, hive lord.
I`m gonna eat you!

>because tyranids are extremely toxic.
I mean, sure, nids have acid blood and all, and there's definitely specific nids you'd want to avoid eating, but we all know some enterprising Warboss out there is going to just start barbecuing/deep frying/roasting nid carcasses in order to get his warband some grub without needing to devour the grots again(!) and the Orks will eat the food and not die simply because they're Orks and they believe they won't.

And the Warboss will be named some parody of KFC's Colonel Sanders or McDonald's Ronald McDonald.... Or Gordon Ramsey.

Dominance of which one tastes better.
Let me tell you, genestealers are kinda gross the first 12 times you eat them, but they get alright after that.
During a year long siege vs tyranids, I was living the dream in a buffet land, only the food was trying to kill me too, but fuck it.
Soon enough some delicious tyranoodles started showing up in the sky... the guys looked at me, cuz they already knew what was gonna happen... I started eating/climbing those fucker.
I was already near orbit when the big guys went all exterminatus on my buffet.
And before you say some retarded shit like "you coudnt survive that!" or some equally stupid argument, let me tell you this:
Tyranids are not only edible... they make your body fat do some magical/faith/belief shit, that made me immune to some extremely specific things. You should go bitch to the not-rambos and their high-def abs, instead of picking on the little guy.
Anyway, I was rescued by some spacebrorines that took me for some b-side chapter, because I was really big after all them nomnoms.
Good times. Got a medal too. It too was delicious.
Inquisition is always in my ass nowadays for some reason.

which one

Just think, people would be agreeing with you if you posted an Ork at a PC with your OP.

>no lost mass somehow breaks rules about conservation of mass

Hasn't this been adressed in the fluff yet? I think that tyranids are so full with chemicals and shit that it's just impossible to eat one without dying, turning into a zombie or something in those lines.

Maybe orks could do it,

statistically you're fucked against the tyranids unless you have a named character on your side, otherwise you and your whole planet become the seafood.

>At this time, Zhang Xun took his concubine out and killed her in front of his soldiers in order to feed them. He said, "You have been working hard at protecting this city for the country wholeheartedly. Your loyalty is uncompromised despite the long-lasting hunger. Since I can't cut out my own flesh to feed you, how can I keep this woman and just ignore the dangerous situation?" All the soldiers cried, and they did not want to eat. Zhang Xun ordered them to eat the flesh.
>After the city was besieged for a long time, at the beginning, the horses were eaten. After horses ran out, they turned to the women, the old, and the young. 30,000 people in total were eaten. People knew their death was close, and nobody rebelled. When the city fell, only 400 people were left.

Holy shit.

>physics
>...have you MET 40k?
Yeah, this. The writers of tyranids make them out to be essentially a perpetual-motion machine. Lots of concern given the "biomass" and very little to this other slightly important concept called "energy".

Look at an actual predator. Look at what it has to eat to function. Now look at tyranids. Now look back at me. My demon mount is amazing.

Ok, so the Tyranids power themselves with sunlight.
Are you sugesting that there still would not be a net loss in energy as countless roaches power their metabolism in genocidal wars, and then synthethize new proteins?
Not to mention the actual feeding part.

Turning something into something else costs energy.

Eating tyranids serves what purpose? If you beat a wave and eat a few carnifex with your regiment then sure... theres maybe a couple less tonnes of biomass, but all the food you would have otherwise eaten is now stockpiled and worthless, youre better off trying to incinerate everything you kill

The waaaagh field really doesn't let them get away with loads, its been memed to hell, it simply allows ramshackle (but functional) tech to run more smoothly

>Maybe there's more than one hive mind

8th edition, index Xeno 2 literally states outright this isn't the case and that ALL hive fleets are the same mind, read the fluff page for tyranids in it.

Why not just dump the remains in the Warp and make corpse starch out of daemons?

Bloody 'ell.

I think a more valid point would be that the energy expended in even a years worth of fighting, is so utterly insignificant to a species who devours the entire biomass (oceans, dirt layer and atmosphere included) that running some tests on your biomorphs by having them nom the hell out of each other is a netgain.

Especially if they do this while just doing photosynthesis next to a sun, consider how much biomass the earth produces, they've eaten SEVERAL planets and can likely set up shop to do this testing while powering themselves just fine, hence why they're more concerned with actual mass than energy.

Tyranids fighting Tyranids has always been fluffed as the hive mind doing live weapons tests, they dont lose any biomass only energy and that isn't exactly a problem when you have to power to supercharge photosynthesis.

It beats weapon testing against targets who use stuff like flamethrowers, plasma weapons and warp stuff to ruin your delicious noms

>hence why they're more concerned with actual mass than energy.
Supreme Commander style game with Tyranids when?

Sounds good. Kroot chef empires the next major player in 40k?

Kroot are absolutely disgusted by tyranid meat and anything tainted by them, they refuse to touch them.

Well we only need a single shaper with big enough ambitions to overcome this.

I thought it was only genestealer and genestealer cultist meat.
Because only metroid space pirates would mix organisms that mutate after eating DNA with organisms that mutate things after implanting their DNA.

Except that wouldn't actually be the case. Again, 40k, so of course it doesn't make sense, but still...

Sure, it's a planet's worth of biomass, but it's also a planet's worth of fighting to get it. And some of that - like stealing all the dirt and water - is going to cost far more energy than you can gain from it, so it's a net loss. I think they just do that part because reducing a planet to "a barren, lifeless rock" is metal as fuck.

It's been discussed before, but SupCom is basically techno-tyranids. One commander, left to his own devices, can eventually turn an entire planet's mineral mass into weapons.

Tyranids aren't concerned with energy, it's an effectively infinite free resource they get from stars. There is no "net loss" of biomass because of energy expenditure, stop being stupid.