Modern elves have NOTHING to do with the elves of Tolkien. Humans with long ears and lives...

Modern elves have NOTHING to do with the elves of Tolkien. Humans with long ears and lives, as opposed to the graceful perfection of Tolkien's elves. Why are you using inferior knockoffs?

Because it doesn't matter? Because there's no objectively right answer or objectively right way to run a game? Because if I wanted to run a game with Tolkien Elves, I'd run one, and if I wanted to run one with Keebler Elves I'd run that too, and there's not a goddamn thing any of you could do to stop me doing it and having fun?

/thread

>Sucking Tolkien's dick
He was a hack, for Christ's sake
have a (you)

Sometimes, the knockoff fits better than the original. Tolkien's elves served his narrative, but works poorly for RPG settings. In Tolkien, elves were the dying symbols of a better time now passed. My campaigns do not tell that kind of story, and so insane fey-inspired freaks make a better fit.

Because every single facet of my D&D 5e campaign is designed to be BadWrongFun. Go ahead, ask me anything about the setting. It's guaranteed to send you into conniptions.

D&D's elves come from Three Hearts and Three Lions.

Tolkien was an autistic hack.

tolkien's elves were gay as shit and they didn't even like to fuck

Alright, I'll bite.
What's your setting like then?

(you)

>/thread-ing your own post

It's summer in here already, huh?

Forgotten Realms, but I've been using the same Forgotten Realms for years, and thus have plenty of former PCs who've basically saved the world every time and are still present in the setting. Plus I've changed around the lore at specific points. Also Drizzt is the new Lolth.

Bet you a dollar I've been here longer than you. But yeah. Not sure what else there is to say about this bait.

That's IT?

Amateur.

Tolkien is not the be-all end-all of fantasy. There's plenty of stuff outside his works, and you would do well to recognize that fantasy has no specific rules on what it can and can't be. It is what you make it.

But, Tolkien's elves are knock-offs. Really boring ones too.

>being this angry about elves

Don't reply to that guy.

I gave up a year ago. Is it really updating again?

Because I unironically enjoy using Faerun as my campaign setting.

Right, it only encourages him.

i remember hearing that Tolkien conceived of the elves as what humans would have been without original sin.

Unlikely, since the Elves get TWO falls, and can and do act like colossal dicks.

true but it isn't that adam and eve didn't do evil things. it was that they were oblivious to it.

Because Tolkien's elves aren't balanced with the other races for gaming purposes.

My elves are superior because how I play them makes them superior. Except when it's a matter of life and death, in which case Kritz McGutsword has all the loaded dice.

You don't even have an m-preg race? That's not even close to badwrongfun.

Because Tolkiens elves aren't very relatable and they're overpowered.

Tolkiens humans are also overpowered, but I prefer humans closer to our power level, so the elves get brought down as well

they read more like the humans you might read about in a mythology

they're supposedly flesh and blood but seem to live bizarrely long lives and have magical powers at dramatic moments and can fight immortal, divine beings evenly. they can even die of being too sad. they're larger than life, really.

>when a fucking retard thinks Tolkien was any good
Read Warhammer, forest elves, high elves, and teen elves are best elves.

Tolkien elves are great for NPCs but shit for PCs as they should be of a greater level of inherent power than humans, hobbits and even dwarfs.

Because being bound to fate with no say in it is balls. If your fate is to go berserk and murder people over rocks then you don't get a say in it.

>he was a hack

Stop making actual words into buzzwords you dick.

>teen elves

now hold the fuck up

elfs are good for breeding, they are attractive and powerful magic users, mix that with the inner blood thirst of humans and you have something really interesting.

Who would have thought, in the middle of summer

Are you that guy who was posting those shitty plane pictures about Tolkien? Anyways you're wrong, again, and you're, again, going to bail out as soon as you're proven wrong.

>with no say in it
It really wasn't like that though.

I don't waste hard drive space on Tolkien trash

>they're overpowered.
After the War of Wrath elves aren't really that special (and even during the later days of Beleriand Túrin was more powerful than any elf) Sauron would have gobbled them up easily without Numénor.

The world of Warhammer is extremely shallow and cookie cutter because there's no effort put into it. This is because the world is not in any way essential for warhammer, because it is for a wargame. It isn't as good as you think.

Tell me, user. Why do you think he is bad?

Because black skin, white hair, and red eyes is a cooler visual aesthetic.

>Work poorly for RPG settings

This.

Tolkien's great, but the Noldor would make a bad fit in most games. If they were included at all, they would really have to be strictly NPCs.

Because I like my goofy hackneyed plot where High Elves, Wood Elves, and Drow are playing the role of Whites, Blacks, and Rednecks in a fantasy version of the Jim Crow South.

You didn't really go in detail, so all I can tell you is that you are wrong.
>why
Its shallow trash, very generic

How is it shallow? How is it generic? Please explain with examples.
>that you are wrong.
But I'm not. Warhammer is cool, but not very innovative or deep. Most nations and peoples in Warhammer are just not!x and the literature is far less about the world and far more about single characters doing things. It serves it's purpose for an interesting backdrop for a game, but isn't very refined because it isn't important for the game on it's own (like for example forgotten realms is for dnd))

You'd have to make sure the whole party was sufficiently larger than life. It'd be doable, but rpg culture really isn't geared towards the larger than life, mythological heroes.

Something like the Quest for the Simarils could make a good campaign if your players were sufficiently invested in it.

>read warhammer
I love Warhammer elves, but you're retarded if you believe they take nothing from Tolkien. High elves are basically just Feanor.

Post elegant elves.

Slutty elves need not apply.

>High elves are basically just Feanor.
k

>self-absorbed warriors of great power with a streak of cruelty
>not Feanor

Incase started making it a sexadventure again a couple months ago after losing a bunch of patrons and irregular uploads turned too many people off of it.

I quite like the idea of Kirkbride's Altmer in TES. Basically magical Gnostic elves with elitism that comes from their age/experience and their worldview.

Beyond that, I've yet to see a race built around western monasticism. That'd be fun for elves, I'd imagine.

>rpg culture really isn't geared towards the larger than life, mythological heroes.
D&D isn't geared to handle to it. There are other systems that are.

his legacy lives on while you have got nothing to show for though

If you want to stay true to Tolkien the elves should be superior in pretty much all respects to all the other races. Which is pretty silly when talking about RPG's PC, not to mention butthurt inducing. So having them be "-STR +DEX" makes more sense in this situation.
Now in terms off narratives I myself prefer demigod elves over tribal treehuggers as well.

>demigod elves
That is itself a misunderstanding of Tolkien's Elves. They were not superior to humans, even though they often mistakenly believed themselves to be. It's made very clear that Elves were equal to Men in Iluvatar's creation as the Children of Eru and that, if anything, Men were slightly favored bu him (even if the Ainur seem to have preferred the Elves).

The favor shown to men was expressed through the gift of their death and the mysteries beyond, not through any sort of physical superiority.

Tolkien explicitly states that Noldor are physically superior. The elf-friends are a bit of an exception because they learned much in the way of wisdom and strength from the princely Noldo. It was their presence that set them apart.

Of course, talking about physical stats is pretty much meaningless in Tolkien anyway. Destiny and fate are what grant true power in the setting.

rivendell elves

rivendelves

>they didn't even like to fuck
Sause?

Because all we know is that they didn't have many children. That is not the same thing.

He's wrong, they liked it a lot

exalted
well it's not really geared to be actually played but still

I blame the Japanese and their rape culture for the busty donkey eared elf meme.

I'm using sort-of Tolkien elves.

The main problem is that players want to be elfs right, but you cannot have players play a goddamn superhuman entity that's not only super strong, super fast and also supersmart. But if your elfs aren't superhuman... they're not elfs anymore. They're just humans with pointy ears.

So I solved it by allowing both to take place simultaneously.

If a wizard amasses enough magical or spiritual knowledge, they will slowly transform in an elf (typically this happens to the best in the field, and when they're very old - but some lucky wizards or very adventurous ones might just witness or be part of a rare magical event of extreme power).
They will become young and strong again, and their ears will grow pointy.

Any offspring they get after becoming an elf will for all intents and purposes be human, but still have long ears. They have an easier time becoming a true elf themselves, but that's all.

I just think pointed eared humans are boring. Those ears have to be a mile long or something or they just look like slightly different humans and there's no point in including them when some magically enhanced humans could work just as well.

>But if your elfs aren't superhuman... they're not elfs anymore
This is ridiculous. Hate all the non-Tolkien elves how much you want, but elves have established themselves playable races for long enough and they work. The inspiration for elves can be very varied and don't need to be superhuman at all. The "elves are the best at everything"-meme needs to die, it's even doubtful in Tolkiens works, where Beren can beat up three sons of the Noldor on a horse, and rarely found anywhere else.

le edgey 13yo cringe may may
another reason to ignore this Veeky Forumsroll

>i don't read tolkien
>i don't read scandi mythology

Dude what.

>>i don't read tolkien
>where Beren can beat up three sons of the Noldor on a horse

>>i don't read scandi mythology
>implying Scandinavian mythology is the only one with elves
>implying it's the only inspiration for elves
>implying it wasn't the Tuatha de Danaan for Tolkien, mostly
Scandinavian elves are also dwarves. And where does it say in Scandinavian mythology that they are better at everything compared to humans? What's the Scandinavian equivalent of the Noldor?

Tolkien elves were very human though. they were like humans+; they had all the virtues and flaws of us dailed up to 11

>one guy in the whole of the simarillion that can beat up elves
>JUST ONE GUY
>IN THE ENTIRE SIMARILLION

If anything that's a good fucking indication just how fucking badass elves are in Tolkien's work.

>Because all we know is that they didn't have many children
Feanor had seven kids tho

I like it better when there's character development. I don't even fap to it anymore, I just wanna see where the plot goes

4e is, it's built into the leveling tiers

This is why I said "doubtful", in the Silmarillion you had also humans doing badass shit. Some time ago I had a heated argument actually defending the power of the Noldor against someone who insisted that humans are actually stronger. At the end I realized that we mostly hear about some specific Noldor and all the cool hero guys of the humans were all related as well. Which makes it somewhat difficult to compare these two races with eachother, we mostly hear about specific elves and humans.

You didn't answer to all my other ebin meme-text arrows.

I dunno man, I am not the guy you're arguing with.

Of course you are not.

The elf-friends are kind of the exception to the rule as well, though. It is said that having learned the wisdom of the Noldor and being raised in their presence has enhanced their strength considerably. You get Hurin, Turin, and Beren through this sort of tutelage. The strength of the great elf-lords seems mostly inborn, though. Maybe they lack the potential for growth of their human counterparts. Who knows.

It's really pointless to discuss the power creep of Tolkien's works regardless, where magic is nebulously described at best and most great deeds are accomplished more through fate than prowess.

Tolkein elves are more like aasimar in D&D terms.

I had a similar idea once, only instead of it being an individual thing, elves were a race of humans who had magically modified their bloodline to produce beings superior at magic.

I've made a bunch of weird settings, though. In another one, halflings and dwarves were actually the "intended" inhabitants of the world, and the ancestors of humans were gods who had been kicked out of the heavens in a divine civil war, leaving "giant" demigods who lost their powers over generations to become humans, with some bloodlines (who became kings, nobles, etc.) retaining a few powers. Elves were made from humans who were captured and experimented on by fae to produce superior slaves who eventually managed to overthrow their masters. They were sorted into four different sub-races of elves based on the four seasons, to match the fairy courts who created them.

Well, if I remember right, doesn't "beholding the light of the twin trees" make you stronger? Like it literally magnifies your soul or some shit. Even owning/looking upon a silmaril for a long enough while does it to you. Like, if a silmaril was in D&D it would just drip feed XP right into you.

Elves may dress elegant but underneath they are all sluts.

>It's really pointless to discuss the power creep of Tolkien's works regardless
This wouldn't be my Veeky Forums if I can't waste my time arguing about power-levelvs. Though your explanation makes a lot of sense, didn't consider this.

Fantastic meme, especially when discussing Tolkien elves. Upvoted.

>graceful perfection of Tolkien's elves
>murdering each other and wrecking an entire continent
>perfect

woooooah i bet ur the real socrates of our time aren't you .......

really makes u think ...... damn bro centrists rock there is no right and wrong in our nihilist world ... damn ......

It's almost like Tolkien elves were never intended to be perfect Mary Sues.

All the elf lords went to valenor and got juiced up though

Incase has such a bad case of sameface

>Modern elves have NOTHING to do with the elves of Tolkien
Yes... and?

>Three Hearts and Three Lions
Wouldn't surprise me, considering it also influenced D&D's alignment system and the way it depicts paladin.

To be fair, that was mostly Feanor.

>kissanime

Why do they all have glam-rocker hair?

In DnD Tolkien Elves would be more fit as Outsider (Native) and not good for Playing Characters.
Since your players (at leat mine, they are very traditional) want to play Elves, Dwarves and Humans mostly, you have to "humanize" the elves. More balanced mechanically, asier to RP and the like.

>Thingol's such a prick he sends Beren on a suicide mission just so he can't fuck his daughter
>When Beren actually succeeds Thingol gets himself murdered because he won't pay some fucking Dwarves
>Eol kidnaps his wife and when she runs away with their son back to her own family, he follows them and tries to murder them when they won't come back
>Eol's son Maeglin betrays his mother's family to the fucking lord of evil because Morgoth promised he'd give Maeglin a chance to fuck his cousin, who cucked him with a human
And of course there's all seven sons of Feanor
Dem elves is crazy son

Tolkien elves would break games because they're literally better than everyone else at everything.

Elves got their asses kicked by everyone in the Silmarillion. Coincidentally, they also kicked a lot of ass.

>Thingol gets himself murdered because he won't pay some fucking Dwarves
You make it sound so simple, but the dwarves were prime assholes in this situation.

I think there was something about elves being stuck in their ways a bit? Like, they have trouble adapting quickly or changing technology or embracing new social orders, because they're like, bound to the world or something like that. Right?

Well a silmaril was involved. Everyone becomes an asshole when a Silmaril is involved. But Thingol had a history of douchiness.