Does anyone save their crypto on Linux...

Does anyone save their crypto on Linux? I have Manjaro KDE (Arch based) and currently my computer is getting really fuckin slow. Pretty sure I have a virus which would be super rare though. I'm wiping my computer and starting over, however I don't trust some distro because I feel like they will crash and I'll lose my coins. I have a few questions:
>which distro do you use?
>what wallet(s) do you keep your coins in?
>How/where do you back them up?
>can I use a normal USB drive or external hard drive to back it up instead of a ledger?

Other urls found in this thread:

neopaperwallet.org/
stellar.github.io/paper-wallet/
help.nextcloud.com/t/experimental-howto-asus-tinker-board-nc-box/9135
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have it on a local Nextcloud installation on an asustinker board on armbian with 500gb ssd,

It’s pretty sweet and I can access everywhere with my home vpn

user I consider myself a tech geek and and kitty coder, but I have no idea what those are. Can I get an explanation?

Arch with i3.

Currently using Exodus for the BTC & ETH + ERC20, ToastWallet for XRP, Stellar Desktop Wallet for XLM, official GUI for Monero and then GroestlPay for Groestlcoin.

Ordering a Ledger Nano S is in the works.

I use manjaro too, but you should use XFCE desktop - it's much quicker and got all the functionality one would need.
I've found that I break my linux distros after awhile because of conflicting software that I've installed, probably why yours is so slow.

Is there a way to save the coins on a standard USB? As of now I pretty much only have altcoins and they don't have much support. I don't trust Manjaros stability enough to keep the stellar wallet on my system either. I hate windows but I think I have to get it back to save my coins. The only thing about that is windows security sucks ass and hacking me would be much easier.. Fuuuuck

If I install any gnu/Linux OS after I factory reset, Xfce will be my first option. I learned about it after I installed KDE and wanted to change but didn't want to go through the process again.

you get an account seed with your stellar wallet that can be used to retrieve it on any system - simply write it down with pen&paper

Looking for suggestions

What's the purpose? Who actually uses cryptos as anything other than store of value? That's why I just print cold storage paper wallets with encrypted keys with a password that's not written down. My live funds I keep in an exchange.

Ahhh did not know this. Thank you.

>What's the purpose? Who actually uses cryptos as anything other than store of value?
What do you mean? That's exactly why I want to know the best way to store them off my computer. I want a long term, consistent, and reliable storage method off of my OS.
>That's why I just print cold storage paper wallets with encrypted keys with a password that's not written down.
I will have cold storage for my LTC and ETH but to my knowledge (and I may be wrong) u haven't heard of cold storage options for most altcoins like FUN, XLM, NEO, etc
>My live funds I keep in an exchange.
I have everything in an exchange right now but that's going to change. By "live" do you mean the funds that you move around and buy/sell? I'm not comfortable with keeping my savings on an exchange if it's long term.

You can have cold storage for any coin as far as I know, you just need to get the private key and print it out on paper and there you go. FUN is an ERC20 token on the ethereum network, so just store the private key to the ethereum-address containing the tokens.

NEO is it's own coin but you can still store it in a paper wallet, check this out (don't know if the site is legit so don't put ur keys in there): neopaperwallet.org/

Heres one for XLM:
stellar.github.io/paper-wallet/

Yeah, I mean my "playmoney" or whatever is in an exchange and then I cash out a little now and then and put it in cold storage.

bump

bump2

Nextcloud is an open source cloud platform

Tinker board is like a raspberry pi but faster, 2gigs of ram and gigabit Ethernet

Armbian in the Linux os it runs on

My vpn is on a raspberry pi with pivpn

what?¿

help.nextcloud.com/t/experimental-howto-asus-tinker-board-nc-box/9135

I skipped the ssl and dns stuff since I’m keeping it local and accessing it through the vpn when away from home

Should I really worry about a vpn and a secure internet connection if I'm buying altcoins with ETH through a home connection?

Awesome shit man. Thank you for all this.

Nah, I just use it to Remote Desktop to my PCs at home when I’m away and to encrypt my data when on a public network

I don't use a VPN because I'm also paranoid about a backdoor in the VPN to target cryptocurrencys. That is a far stretch and much less likely than someone sniffing you home computer for crypto though.

Got any advice about storage/anything for a lowly nocoiner? thinking about investing in some interesting altcoins by buying some ETH (then probably sitting long on ETH)

I've had bitcoin for a few years now man but desu I'm not the best person to ask about this. Im still trying to figure out all the kinks for my altcoins. I'm OP so that's one reason I made this post.

I dont even know which exchange to use or what I should use for a wallet, im just really trying to get in on these altcoins by the end of the day (or at least before 2018)

>Windows isn't as secure as some random Linux distro
Dude you are literally fucking retarded.

I use bittrex but I hear better things about Binance. Try that. After you make an account use an alternative of coin base because the fees are retarded right now. After you transfer btc or eth from coin base, buy the altcoins and download a wallet to your computer to save them

is it better to use btc or eth to buy altcoins

Explain brainlet. Last time I checked, viruses and Malware is directed towards a specific code. One that when running in an OS not what it's intended for, it won't work.
>trying to hack an iPhone with code used to penetrate Android
Isn't it funny how that ransomware attack only affected computers with windows? Hmm.. Fukin weird user.

Some tokens only take one or the other. As of now I would say eth because the fees on transferring btc are 50 fold. I tried transferring $5 of bitcoin 2 days ago and the fee was $31. Eth was free the last time I checked.

bump