Have you ever played a self-insert character or Mary Sue?

Have you ever played a self-insert character or Mary Sue?

Please tell me about them.

>self-insert
I played myself with a minor name change in a one-shot zombie survival game. It worked out fine because I didn't have any powertrip agenda or anything

>overpowered Mary Sue bullshit
Played a Harlequin-Incubus cross in a 40k forum freeform RPG over a decade ago. Everyone else was RPing whole armies, I had a single ultra-elite guy with a mix of Incubus and Harlequin gear. While the character was the typical "teleports behind you and stabs you with a punisher" type shit, to be fair I only used it for shenanigans like interfering in other players' fights by tossing hallucinogen grenades everywhere. I don't think I ever killed an actual named character. I was That Guy, but at least not a powertripping self-fellator.

Well, we've played a short campaign where we were all parodying each other. That was fun.

Yes.
In a zombie post apocaliptic world in where we had to play as ourselves.

Every character I play is a self-insert and they're all extensions of my personality but with different jobs. I can't play anything else, nor do I want to.

Being 10 when I got into freeform RP I kind of just accepted making normal characters to stand out from a sea of piss, so they were closer to inserts than sues. It was very strange way of thinking because I'd be inmediately targetted by vampires/werewolves or other supernatural creatures who'd try and convert me. Yeah, it sucked.

My first DnD character.

FeelsBadMan.

>self-insert
I have nothing to add to this conversation, but I would feel remiss if I missed the chance to complement you on your use of this meme!

I have played characters that look and act pretty much like me, but nothing (too) mary-suey.

Boring lazy pleb. Glad I don't play with you.

Played a game in which we played outselves, Zombie survival out of Houston. We had maps, inventory lists, what we needed, we plotted were we would go.

It was awesome. We began as underrated or realistic versions of ourselves but eventually grew in to idealized versions.

I played a character loosely based on myself as a Toreador in my first ever VTM game, wasn't bad until the Storyteller knew something was up

What counts as self-insert?

My first character when I was 11, in 2e AD&D, was named by using my first name backwards and then [My Dad's Name here]sson.

Had a Mary Sue NPC but meant to showcase the world more than overshadow the players. She was a good shooter but her psionics was her real power. Like knowing how many men were in that complex and what guns they had. She just knew things. Basically River Tam in post apocalypse. Problem was she started out as an enemy of the players and when they captured her they mutilated her badly so now she is dying slowly.

Not really. I try to ground my characters in the world and write backstory to fit the level. None of my characters have had aspirations of godhood or particularly large egos beyond the village chief's daughter I played for a level 1 game. She thought she was the shit because she'd never left her tiny corner of the world. I can get kinda into minute backstory details once I get into a character, but I generally avoid infodump or making conversations about how my character totally experienced X Y and Z. It can be fun to talk about ooc, though, and people usually respond positively to the little things that influence my characters' actions.

I am currently playing an unabashed self-insert. I told all the players about it, used the stats I rolled in terribly inefficient ways (like real life) and used my chars brains and cha to make sure situations de-escalate quickly. Orrr he runs away. And plots. Much like my fleshmeat version. He has lived far longer than the other chars in my party, each of them having died at LEAST once. ...apparently I need to go be a ranger/rogue. FUCK the farm time to hit the road jack

I self insert as the evil God of my setting. Every culture gives him sacrifices each year or else face destruction. His main thing is he screwed all the monsters in the world into exsistence. He is the Father of Monsters.

Yep, same here. There is no one else I would rather be than me.

You know when you RP a flaming, degenerate, tattle-tale homo-fag, you're supposed to stop when you leave the table, right?

I have always been forever GM and I finally got one of my friends to run a 5e pre-made so I can PLAY the fucking game for once. I am trying not to venture too far from myself.

So I am playing a guy that is mostly just a normal dude, cowardly, never adventured, wrought with insecurities and pretty terrible at combat. Just a good guy who wants to help some friends and got dragged along. Hopefully I can use deceit and manipulation to get my way out of most encounters until my bard levels are substantial enough to be useful.

No. But I did run a game where my players did.

I gave them 10 minutes to grab whatever they could as reality fell apart around them. As in they literally had to check that they could actually have gone and grabbed anything in question. That was their starting gear as I had them draw up versions of themselves to play in a Darksouls inspired universe (by which I mean it was basically just Darksouls with whatever else I felt like adding in)

Honestly, if I did they'd figure it out pretty quick. It'd just be a social chameleon mixed with hitting shit with a hammer really well on top of tons of stealth.

Seriously. My friends come from distinct enough social groups that they realize I act pretty different in different contexts, a few of them were there for various feats of stealth (including the time I was hunted for a good chunk of a LARP with 1 health left and eventually saved the day since I'd been spying on the plot staff), and my job involves swinging a hammer frequently enough that my right arm/hand is a mix of muscles and callouses designed to smash shit while the rest of me is super out of shape.

Nah, but I've played characters with so little of their own character no one and nothing else was in there either.

It's not boring if I'm having fun.

I have nothing to insert into a character.

Not Veeky Forums, but I decided to do a playthrough of Skyrim where I tried to faithfully play as myself. After pissing myself and crying in the corner in Helgen I eventually moved in with the blacksmith in Riverwood and stayed there until he kicked me out eventually (the bed stopped being usable, the door started being red (trespass) at night) at which point I went to Whiterun and met a girl who was easy to get with and married her, then I lived in her house, ate her food and took half the money from her store to buy mead and sweetrolls... and that was it.

Weird how much that play-through mirrored my actual life. Minus the dragon and whatnot, but maybe that was a metaphor.

I accidentally played a self insert once.
Didn't even try to, just happened. Made a character with a bunch of traits and then a few months later realized 'wait this is just me that looks different'

My group had a self-insert PF campaign not long ago, and I actually had trouble playing as myself. I'm just do damned unassuming/normal to really work in any sort of fantastic setting. When I do play, my characters have some of my traits (human, preference for ranged attacks or support, laid-back personality, reluctance to spend money) but not all.
As for Mary-Sue, I'm no powergamer (I'm generally the weakest in the group, but I avoid combat whenever possible) and I always manage to piss somebody off for some reason. I'm content with that.