>mtg noob
>single Modern deck
>drive over to lgs to play randoms
>can't work up to go inside
>drive over to second lgs
>go inside
>Yugioh tournament in progress
>leave awkwardly

How do I get into the MTG community? I checked online and a lot of the FNM tournaments that are hosted are standard only and not for modern play. How do I ask random people to duel them without being awkward?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0OFpIRms8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't call it dueling, people will think you're even more autistic than you are.

Start drafting, and then once you eventually make friends while drafting ask them about the modern scene at your local game store.

What is your modern deck anyway OP? Because of you say you are a noob maybe standard would be better to get into the game.

I run a BGU delve token deck. Get my Hornet Queen onto the battlefield as many times as possible for a cheap swarm.

It's essentially just a cross between two intro decks

Grow a pair
Like seriously, that's the simplest solution to your probelm

>Hornet Queen
>cheap swarm

You might want to try standard, dude. Modern is pretty cutthroat right now, and if anything, losing consecutively can really dishearten you from playing a great game.

>want to get into the community
>don't go to the community to play
>make thread on Veeky Forums instead

you sound like some tumblr/r9k anxietycase autist. Either take your meds or learn to integrate into society without them.

Make sure you keep your modern legal cards, because if you have Tasigur and shock/fetch lands (if you have a pic of your modern mana base we can tell if you have the right lands) then you can sit on those for a while until you gain the skills for modern.

Also don't listen to the nay-sayers because everyone here was at your point at one time

>7 mana
>cheap

Buddy... buddy.. forget Modern, forget Magic entirely.
Here's a game more your speed. Much more beginner friendly.

today i appraised my collection (barely started) and its looking kinda.........
anyway im going to start pulling from every modern masters 3 i can get for $9 until HOU comes out

this is a very hard lesson to learn because we all know cracking packs is fun but DO NOT BUY SEALED PRODUCT

THEY INTENTIONALLY PUMP IT FULL OF WORTHLESS TRASH

if you have a deck in mind, buy singles. otherwise the only time you should pay for packs is when you draft. buying packs just to crack them is basically setting your money ablaze for the brief joy of watching it burn.

Play BW tokens. I haven't played magic in a while, but I'm assuming Liliana of the Veil is still legal, and Sorin/Intangible Virtue are too

If you want to play modern, look for a budget deck on MTGsalvation.

Find one you like and buy singles. Then, improve it.
Lots of stuff works in modern, just not everything is good. You can play fucking duskmantle mindcrank, lantern control, budget infect, budget burn, it doesn't matter, but intro decks are terrible

Ok, first rule you should know:

BUY SINGLES. DO NOT BUY PACKS JUST TO CRACK THEM AND HOPEFULLY GET THE ONE CARD YOU NEED.

This is why I suggested drafting (where you and 7 other players take three packs, opens one, picks a card from the pack, and passes it to the person to their left until all the cards are gone from the packs, and then does the same with the other two packs so you can build a deck right then and there) because you can get good cards maybe and you can satisfy your crack packing itch but you actually PLAY with the cards.

In fact here's a famous player drafting amonkhet on Magic: the Gathering Online: m.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0OFpIRms8 (here's a tip: watching people play MTGO can really help you out when you play paper magic, because not only do you see professionals playing most of the time but you also see how the rules are supposed to turn out with almost near perfection)

Also your card pool seems like a great starting place to get into standard, but if you're not drafting with your packs you're buying then buy the singles from your local game store (or online if they don't have it)

>implying I'm always casting Hornet Queen and not just bringing her from gy to field

I don't want to netdeck, though. I want to create myself one.

how can you spot a good card ? when is a good keyword worth the one extra mana

I like your logic, but there are much better targets for reanimation. Pic related

Modern is netdeck - the format
I understand why you do. I really wanted to make some stuff work in modern that's pretty cool, like modern charbelcher. But you won't win games ever. Just play an odd deck

Note: Do watch people play on MtG:O. Do not actually play on MtG:O yourself, it's kinda crap and no less expensive than paper Magic. At least, this is what some people who play MtG:O have told me.

So I essentially have to choose between netdecking and constantly spending money to keep up with standard?

In modern almost never. A one mana spell should be a spell that does something important like removes a creature or draws cards, or is good value, 2 mana should be a large creature with an irrelevant downside or the like, 3 and 4 mana should be "deal with this or lose" power level
It totally depends on the deck. Control decks can play 5-6 mana cards, while affinity or elves is full of one mana cards. Rather you are looking for unique combinations that work together

People that play modern tend to be good at the game and have good decks.
What are you going to do about an elves deck that has 30 power on the board at turn 3? An infect deck that has you at 4 infect by turn 2?
You can play standard/casual and btfo shitters, but if you want to play modern and win, you're going to need a better deck

>4 infect by turn 2
I've actually BTFOd some guy with a infect deck that had me at 5 infect on turn 3.

5 infect by turn 3 isn't great, especially if he doesn't have the kill next turn
Are you this guy? What did you kill him with?

Although keep in mind that once you get to a certain point you can start brewing modern decks, but at this point net-decking is still a good way to enjoy the format.

But don't worry about Modern right now. See what's going on in standard

bro are you black?

If I'm remembering right, it was like a year ago, I think I just got him with my Rakshasa Vizier and Necropolis Fiend combo, I kept popping his creatures and giving counters to Vizier

I love casting turn one thoughtsiezes if that's what you're asking

I'm totally white why

>people who play Modern tend to be good at the game

Better than newshitters who play casual

That comes after playing several formats and watching coverage. Once yoi get to know the staples the most general way to do it though is by comparing new cards that have certain mana cost with other older cards with a similar effect and same or similar mana costs.

But yeah, just go to fnm and play some rounds, be draft, standard, or modern, and get to know the people there. You could also ask if you can join edh pods.

Not true. A lot of people recently have used modern as an entry point into the game because how shitty standard has been. Some time ago I mulled down to four with 0 fucking lands or mana accelerators playing affinity against a 7 card hand keep from uw control and I still won. The guy misplayed the shit out of the game because he was new.

Getting kicked in the balls is better than having your dick slammed in a car door. That doesn't mean getting kicked in the balls is good.

This doesn't suit my deck. I'd rather summon a token summoner than a tough guy

Especially when each token has death touch and flying as well

>>be me
There's your problem.

> netdeck
> never go to FNM
> PTQ only

What a fucked up thing to say.

I expected more civility after all the good things I have heard about this subreddit.

You'd rather have some shitty tokens instead of a 7/7 lifelink that draws you an entire hands worth of cards?