ITT: Complaints about your group

ITT: Complaints about your group

>all my players can't separate IC and OOC, usually the only time they do is when they have some meme gimmick that's really easy to slip into, pic unrelated
>can't have any good story or meaningful conversations

>can't even have combat encounters beyond "1d6 gobbos, roll initiative" because they're too stupid for their own good
>for example "there's at least 10 wolfmen coming to attack this small village"
>"okay we go out into the fields and wait for them"
>tpk from them sneaking up and surrounding them

Not everyone is comfortable with improv acting, OP. Have you tried talking to them about this? Why is it a problem for you?

I plan on it
It's a problem because the kind of game I want is story based

Play a game like MonsterHearts which is more socially focused, it might get them out of the mindset they currently have.

>Forever GM is a superchill stoner dude that is slowly becoming an SJW.
>I am realising that my bestie is actually a full-blown Creeper who the GM has booted from the group because a friend-of-a-friend thinks he molested a chick while everyone was stoned at a party
>For clarification, the allegedly molested chick doesn't think she was molested
>The token chick from the group has become a full-blown anti-social Feminazi who seems to make it a personal mission to derail every game she is in as quickly and efficiently as possible
>The new girl has become convinced that she is legitimately cursed, because every game she joins crashes inside the next two sessions - regardless of how strong or succesful they were previously
>Starting to think I have Gamer ADD, because even though I want to GM I keep getting side tracked by new ideas that I want to explore.
>Life is suffering

What do you mean by socially focused? How does it work? What are the typical things you'd be doing?

>even though I want to GM I keep getting side tracked by new ideas I want to explore
Why not try to turn it into an episodic thing? One thing in one session, one thing in another session.

>The new girl has become convinced that she is legitimately cursed, because every game she joins crashes inside the next two sessions - regardless of how strong or succesful they were previously

Fuck I know that feel. I have the same problem with any sort of gaming group. Join a MMO Guild that's been going for 10 years, dead. Join any sort of FPS clan, dead.

>Why not try to turn it into an episodic thing? One thing in one session, one thing in another session.

I might actually try that, user. Now the trick is getting a group together that would be happy to try episodic gaming.

>What do you mean by socially focused?
I mean an rpg that is primarily about social interactions of the characters instead of combat
>How does it work?
In the case of MonsterHearts characters can accumulate strings (which represent social leverage) on each other and then spend those to influence each other in various ways (the most common being to offer someone xp to do what you want)
What are the typical things you'd be doing?
Well MonsterHearts is a teenage drama game so mostly dealing with much of the same bullshit you probably remember dealing with in secondary school.

>teenage drama game so mostly dealing with much of the same bullshit you probably remember dealing with in secondary school
We tried to play Maid RPG and it very quickly turned into murder plots and sex dungeons, it probably wouldn't work too well

that sounds like a very typical MAID game though

I thought it was supposed to be anime stupidity

It very quickly turned into cultists trying to summon Cthulhu, people attacking each other with kitchen knives without realizing death isn't really a thing in MAID, and the android continually trying to rape the master

Ironically there was more roleplay during that then during D&D

>It very quickly turned into cultists trying to summon Cthulhu, people attacking each other with kitchen knives without realizing death isn't really a thing in MAID, and the android continually trying to rape the master
what part of that isn't anime stupidity?

it was played off as more warhammer fantasy grimdark shit

I share DMing duties with the guy whose house we play at. However, every time I take over, I have to crack down hard to get any kind of tension because he buffs all of the PCs into the stratosphere with ridiculous amounts of magical loot, abilities, money ect.
He and his kids also get bored easily, so we end up "moving on to a new game" every time I try to introduce some kind of overarching plot.

>Not making Cthulhu the new maid.
Missed a golden opportunity there user.

fuck you're right

This.

It's like some DragonBallZ shit power creep that a lot of DM's fall in to, including me. A helpful daily reminder that sometimes, LESS IS MORE.

bump

>ex-players harassing me on public and personal websites
Children.

bump

>Haven't played a game in years, because playing tore our friendship apart.

The whole group is friends with the DM, and it's all their first time playing. Most of us are pretty good, but one of the players obviously doesn't understand that characters die in D&D, and she specifically told the DM "if my character dies I'm not playing anymore"
She can't seperate IC and OOC either, and whenever anything happens to her character in-game, she takes it as a personal attack from the DM.

>Her and one other player are hiding on a roof in combat
>An enemy appears from behind her, climbs up onto the roof
>She goes "wow seriously you just made a guy appear directly behind me, why are you trying so hard to fuck me over"
>DM gets uncomfortable and suddenly the enemy just DECIDES to go attack the other dude 30 feet away rather than just attacking butthurt PC who was 10 feet away

Basically one of the players is a manipulative bitch and the DM is a pussy because they're friends

>not everyone isn't a retard or a pleb

This is why it's imperative for good players to get with other good players, and to let the shitters rot together in their own little dungeon somewhere.

Maybe they don't like your story and want it to end.

My players never make characters that are motivated by anything other than money and power. And they're always using CN/CE/NE alignments so things like morals or laws don't hold them back from killing and/or robbing any NPCs that might have valuables.