/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Amonkhet edition! (-1/-1 counters, Zombie tribal, Aftermath, Embalm, Eternalize, Exert, etc.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

made this as a suggestion for an user's set that was based around pirates and +1/+1 counters

also, a reference to my favorite drinking song

Are you talking about Pirate user's set? He finished that ages ago.

Probably. I did that card ages ago, found it among my old files. The year was 2014 I think.

Did he leave a link of his set? I would like to know how that turned out

Check the OP.

lol

i had just checked a bunch of stuff on OP and didn't see that link. i feel stupid now

does anyone where ever played heroes of might and magic 3? I'm doing a set based on the game and I need to define each town's color.

For the moment I'm with:
Castle - W
Rampart - G
Tower - U, perhaps some W
Stronghold - R, maybe a splash of W idk (probably monored)
Fortress - UG, maybe BG ou UBG (UB perhaps)
Conflux - UBRG, depending on the elemental
Dungeon - UBR
Inferno - BR
Necropolis - B

what do you guys think?

I've only ever played Heroes and Dark Messiah. If you want help, you'll have to explain it to us. Abd pkease don't flood the thread. Write one part, post it, and wait a while for feedback, then post the second part.

>Heroes
Meant to say Clash of Heroes. Honestly loved that game, I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

Anyone else having trouble with mtg.design? Whenever I try to refresh the card preview, it gives me a not found placeholder, and when I try to download a card, it gives me the image for the last completed card I viewed. I've tried refreshing the page, logging in and out, and clearing my cache, so I'm reasonably sure the problem is on their end. I'm on an iPad if that helps any.

>inb4 download mse

Yes, the ability triggers even when the tokens created by it die too, that's kinda the point of it. Maybe make the tokens ETB tapped?

That happened to me for a while. But then it started working properly. Maybe it just needs time? Dunno, didn't do anything but wait.

I mean, if you're going for dick jokes...

Otherwise, might I suggest "adamant"?

Seems more or less correct, yeah. Rampart might be WG.
Tower is probably more UR than UW.
Fortress is likely UBG or BG, I'm not super feeling the U.

horrible.

Rest in Peace costs 1W. I think you've way overcosted this. Even though it draws a card you could easily cost the artifact at 3 and the activated ability at 5.

>Doubling Season: Token Boogaloo edition
I feel like this is a GW card, actually. Or BG. Something G anyway.

Oh man, I love HoMM3. That said, I am not the biggest fan of converting other IPs into MtG cards, but I'll toss in my two cents. Mind you, I never played Conflux, so I have no idea about it. The biggest issue here is that I think since there are 9 factions, having a few be monocolored, a few pairs, and a few wedges or Nephilim-colored would lead to some issues smoothing everything out. The other issue is that there's nothing preventing you in MtG from drafting all manners of color combos, but in HoMM you don't typically get other factions' stuff unless you have a Diplomat, so it feels odd that way.

>Castle
I can see the argument for monoW, but I think you could also argue for RW here.
>Rampart
GW all the way.
>Tower
UR, I think, but see the Conflux.
>Stronghold
RG for sure.
>Fortress
BG. I mean it has basilisks and stuff. It screams "deathtouch a go-go" Though, when considering the Dungeon, see below.
>Conflux
No idea. Just because the elementals are different elements though, that doesn't mean they should be more than a single color pair. I mean, Earth and Fire elementals are R, and Water and Air are U, so technically it should be UR, but the tower is already that. I guess the tower could be WU, and give the Conflux UR.
>Dungeon
This is tough. I guess it kinda deserves BG, even though I claimed Fortress should be BG. I think we're gonna have to Conflux it, since UG can technically fit the Fortress, we make that UG since UG doesn't fit the Dungeon at all. Biggest issue is that the top tier unit for the Dungeon is the Dragon, which is R. This is why trying to do stuff like this is miserable.
>Inferno
I agree BR is the best.
>Necropolis
I'd make it WB, honestly.

>I feel like this is a GW card, actually. Or BG. Something G anyway.
Eh, I guess BG.

>I love HoMM3
Well, I feel like a loser, I don't know what any of this shit means. Well, guess it's time to start making adaptations of the MM games I have played. Hopefully this one isn't a clusterfuck. Oh who am I kidding, it totally is.

>card
I saw the earlier draft of this in the last thread. This is... different. Not entirely sure how I feel about it. I guess I just feel like the downside is kinda disconnected from the upside. Maybe change to creature sac?

>~ gains haste until end of turn.
Which turn? It should either specify that it gets Haste for the turn it ETB, or just give it permanent Haste.

"Yes, dis is gud"
- Sodomex

The counter ability is a lot better than the haste option unless you are sitting against no blockers and have a Giant Growth or something. Or a good Equipment to strap to it.

They have an updated version of Heroes of Might and Magic III on Steam, if you don't mind Steam. It's pretty fun, though the AI can be brutal sometimes. It can also be retarded.
>Sareth
Holy shit, mechanic soup. Honestly the haste is a bit unnecessary since you'll have just spent 4 mana to cast this; you don't want to swing with it till you're sure you can combat trick it to keep it alive and secure kills, and you can pick your blocks in the meantime.
>Heretic
Yeah nobody said anything about it I don't think so I decided to have it do something more cleric-like after sleeping on it. The reason for the life payment on upkeep is the sort of "pain for pain" thing that evil magical minions would demand, you know? Plus it helps keep it in line. I thought about making it a 3/2, but I'm not sure about that.

Wat? "Until end of turn" always means the current turn. Why would you not know this? Not even my card but that's a really odd thing to even say if you know a lick about MtG.

Okay, part of me wants these to have silver borders, but honestly there is an interesting mechanical parity going on here. Still, mixing counters is kind of a no-no. Though, these cards could theoretically be in different sets, so that's sort of a moot critique.

And hey, Momentum guy, if you make it back anytime soon, I just wanted to say that I realize you have -1/-1 counters in your set, but I really think that you should strongly consider dumping them and Profane for Momentum that uses counters, because it's way more interesting than either of the other two mechanics that'd need to get axed to do so.

Okay so this card is weird and I have no real explanation for it except I wanted to make a creepy serial killer vampire card that eats weenies.

>Wat? "Until end of turn" always means the current turn. Why would you not know this? Not even my card but that's a really odd thing to even say if you know a lick about MtG.
Not thinking straight. I should've said that it needs a proper trigger to work. Unless you can explain to me how pic related would work.

Did you not see the anchor word trigger?

This should have the slith ability instead.

Added a 1 cost to the ability. Hopefully this will finish it. I guess next it's time for me to finish that stupid Dragon-ship I started way back when Pirate user was making his set.

>Sareth
Seems like a good idea. Though honestly I already changed the trigger. Now it checks on upkeep to see how much combat damage it dealt to a player this turn. I'm thinking 5 or more. And I'm starting to have doubts about giving the Demon side the super Prowess.

>Heretic
I get payment as a Black downside, I'm just not sure on making the payment lifeloss. I think making it creature sac would be more interesting, as it would actually affect how the last ability performs.

>card
Two evasion abilities? One of which has anti-synergy with the counter ability? Why?

>They have an updated version of Heroes of Might and Magic III on Steam, if you don't mind Steam. It's pretty fun, though the AI can be brutal sometimes. It can also be retarded.
Whoops, forgot to respond to this. Yeah, I love Steam. And I've honestly never really been drawn into Might and Magic. Honestly, it's partly because the older games look incredibly dated. And as for your suggestion, according to the comments, it's barely been improved over the original, and the version on GoG is superior. That's what they say anyway.

Have you ever played Clash of Heroes or Dark Messiah though? I definitely recommend both, though Dark Messiah, from what little I understand of Might and Magic, is radically different, since it's a first-person RPG that's basically a middle-ground between Thief and Dishonored, fitting since the Dishonored people made Dark Messiah.

>Ruin Stalker
Actually it's funny, I had it all "figured out" then I forgot you're likely to block with it to get a counter, which kinda screws things up a little. The original idea was that you'd force them to block with all 1/Ns, which are likely 1/1s, so it's going to get a counter. Then it's a 2/4. Now you have to throw two 2/Ns at it to block and kill it, else it gets another counter, and starts to get out of hand. That kind of thing. The idea was that Skulk controls the power of the creatures that can block it and keeps it low so it survives being double blocked, and if it gets let through, well you can combat trick it or whatever as per normal with a Skulk creature.
>slith ability
This is an idea, but of course it kinda ruins the flavor of the card a little. That just takes some re-tooling of the flavor text though.

It's funny, whenever I make cards like this, I always get bombasted by people over it and have to sit here and explain it then probably get called dumb anyway. And I still do it. Oh well.
>Sareth
I dunno, the counter thing wasn't too bad but making it want to use the Prowess isn't a bad idea as you have it now. I do kinda dislike do-nothing counters though so I'd be okay with seeing them gone.
>Heretic
See, the thing is making it a sac is feel bad, because you're getting less return out of it. Making it life loss means you're forced to be aggressive to compensate, so it plays well outside black too, say with red for example. It pays well with lifelink and white as well, for the same reason.
>Seeker
Not bad. I think this seems okay to me, but you may get some folks who say it's still too aggressive/undercosted. I honestly think it's fine since cards that rely on other cards to work to their full potential can be a bit pushed in that regard. Have you considered a Metalcraft-like trigger too that checks for number of artifacts? The idea that he pops back up if you have three or more Treasures/artifacts sounds kinda neat to me.

>Ruin Stalker
Eh, OK. I guess that makes sense. Just not a design I think I would've gone for.

>GoG version is superior
How so? Most people only like GoG because it's DRM free. I wonder what's different, I'd have to take a look for myself.
>Clash of Heroes/Dark Messiah
I have not, but I know that the Might and Magic games were first person like Dark Messiah, but they were party-based RPGs, where the Heroes games were the strategy ones. I'll have to give them a look.

Clever. I dunno if the Forecast is properly costed or not, but for it to be remotely useful it has to be cheap anyway. It couldn't be usable if it were more expensive than 1B, I think.

>The original idea was that you'd force them to block with all 1/Ns
Or they just don't block. 1 dmg a turn takes a while before it becomes a concern.

>How so? Most people only like GoG because it's DRM free. I wonder what's different, I'd have to take a look for myself.
From what I skimmed from the comments, it basically amounts to that, which means it's a lot easier to install mods for. They also mentioned something about expansions, so maybe the Steam version if missing some other additional content.

>Seeker
Fuck me I should go to sleep. I just now realized you were talking about Treasure Seeker. The Metalcraft idea sounds interesting, but I think I'll just save it for another card.

I'm alive. A bit bummed that Wizards announced a set similar to what I'm doing again. Regardless, I'm continuing to work and tweak things, just very slowly.

>mods
Eh, The only thing I can think of is extra/new maps and I think the Steam version can too. I have admittedly never looked at the Workshop page for it though.
>expansions
Ah, Conflux was lame anyway; the new town is broken as shit, even with the fixes. I'd passed on it when it came out and I'd pass on it again, probably. Unless they figured out a way to finally make it work.
>Seeker
Sorry, I abreviate card names sometimes. And it's only 11:30pm where I'm at; what do you work at 6am or something? Ouch.

Yeah it's a pretty shitty clock in that regard. I mean I don't expect every card I make to be good, or to be liked every time. You are forgetting combat tricks though; they do count for something. Course a card like Invisible Stalker is better for that, if we were going to split hairs over it. Maybe it just wasn't the best executed idea, even if it sounded like it was at the time in my head.

> A bit bummed that Wizards announced a set similar to what I'm doing again
Story of my life.

Wording issues on that last ability. Why not make it check power?
>Story of my life.
You're telling me, man.
Hah. I like the flavor a lot.

I actually pointed this out a few threads back as a joke but I'm guessing you didn't see it.
>no changelog
Dammit, I haven't seen these in weeks, so I can't remember how they were. I'll just comment on what I know is different.
>CG03
Looking at Prisim Ring, this shouldn't be common, even if it's simple.
>CG10
Not bad. I think since green gets the best value on creatures overall, this could potentially be 2G and be fine.

Everything else looks similar enough to when I last saw it.

Wording issue already got pointed out. I'm not sure on the balance though; that amount of repeatable Scry is pretty good, and there is next to no risk in using the creature to get it. You'd basically never cast it unless you can get the counters.

I am now manually angry we didn't get something like this in Kaladesh. Not that it could have easily mechanically supported it, but... still.

Okay, so I based this on Shadows of the Past; I'm not sure if it having a 2/1 body is okay. I mean it doesn't trigger itself, and it costs a creature to cast it, so.. I think it's okay? Maybe it should be 2/2? I dunno. But when it was suggested that I make the Blackheart Heretic sac creatures, I wanted to make a Mercenary card that did that.

BLRGURHGU

Let's see how shit this is.

>I'm alive.
See, kept saying you were still alive and just busy with your teaching, but no, apparently everyone else thought Wizards decided to send a hitman after you so they couldn't possibly get into any legal trouble further down the road.

But in all seriousness, welcome back.

>CG01
Considering how easy it is to get the counter, maybe GG?

>CG07
I think I'd make this 1/1

>CG10
Was it always three or fewer? I feel like this might be too easy to trigger. I think Wizards had it right with Heckbent.

>CG12
I still think this should be an attack trigger, so an opponent can't just be a jerk and cause you to draw, turning off Trample. Also, have you considered making this an aiblity word?

>CG15
From what I've seen on other Fog-likes, the bonus should probably be a bit more to justify the extra 1 in cost. Could just be me though.

>CG18
Same bonus as the Fog-like? You could at least try to make them a little different.

>Reprints
Honestly, not really liking the use of the old art here, I just feel like ti cvlashes with the rest of the set.

But did you make Undying?

>Sorry, I abreviate card names sometimes. And it's only 11:30pm where I'm at; what do you work at 6am or something? Ouch.
No, I'm on the East coast too, and no work tomorrow. Just an incredibly amount of sleep debt that's been cataching up to me in the last few days.

I was fine with this till I saw the mana ability and I kinda frowned a bit. The fact that it needs 4 counters on the card before it sees a return is... bleh. I mean I know it puts counters on itself but still. I'd have it do something else, like mass firebreathing or +X/+0 where X is the number of counters, or hell direct damage of some kind. I dunno, I mean it's your card. I just don't think the last ability is any good.

I get on average 6 hours of sleep a night, so... I dunno what level of debt I'm at, and between that and my college days way back when where I was getting 2-3 a night some nights, I don't want to know.

Yeah, mana was just a recent idea. I think I'll go with ping rather than pump, since I feel like scaling pump would be odd on a scaling creature.

I've been at 5 or less for a while now. And everyone always says to just get more sleep on the weekend, but that doesn't work when you have family obligations and can't sleep til 3. Plus my boss has this annoying habit of scheduling me early on weekends too, though thankfully just one of them.

Thank you guys for the feedback; I'll take what you've said into consideration.
>See, kept saying you were still alive and just busy with your teaching, but no, apparently everyone else thought Wizards decided to send a hitman after you so they couldn't possibly get into any legal trouble further down the road.
Luckily, I haven't been assassinated yet. I was looking for a teaching job for a while. Just recently got hired on at an area junior-senior high school, so I've been working out the details on that. Also had some personal stuff crop up, as it tends to do. But until I get assassinated, you all are pretty much stuck with me, even though I will disappear on occasion.
>Blackheart Oracle
Seems solid. I like the idea of a downside with an upside.
>The Wooden Dragon
The mana generation bit strikes me as odd. Red's mana production is very much temporary. Maybe if it was a sacrifice for a ritual effect equal to the number of counters?
I don't get it.

I've had Mercenaries on the brain for a while, so for the last few threads I've been subjecting these poor anons to my depravity. Sadly not all of these have "pay me/drawback" mechanics on them, but eh, some Mercs take what you pay up front I guess. They've had various degrees of reception. Not many folks like drawbacks and I don't blame them, but I do so I keep forcing it on everyone.

Why are they all women?

Spicy

>Mercenaries
No worries, I used mercenaries all the time a while back, without adhering to established mercenary mechanics at all. As long as each card is well-designed outside of its creature type, the type shouldn't have much of an impact outside of flavor and tribal stuff.

Weird card. The fact that you can't make the creature spell uncounterable is kinda disappointing.

A reverse Opal card? Huh. Cheeky. I like it.

Because unless I'm making a set, where having balanced, tasteful, sensible art is the priority, I'm just going to strap hot chicks to everything because I like the art and I'm a shameless, unapologetic nerd. If that means you'll pass over my cards, I guess that's your right. If I stumble across some cool art, no matter the gender, and want to make a card with it, I will though.

Yeah I know, I was around for that. I've been around for all your sets. You just mentioned you liked drawback/advantage cards, so I tossed them up, since that's now I Mercenary.

Oh, cool. I'm going through your mercs in more detail now so I can give you some specific feedback

>Cur
Another good use of downside with an upside. Cool give-and-take mechanically.
>Heretic
Probably not an ability that should be that inexpensive on an uncommon, even one with a downside.
>Reaver
Equipment-specific effects feels weird on a black card. Beyond that, it's cool.
>Rookie
Fun with counters-matter stuff.
>Cabalist
Too cheap. I'd nix the flavor text to make the card less busy, too.
>Rankculler
First strike and wither probably shouldn't show up together on a common if NWO is at all a concern for you.
>Thug for Hire
Love the flavor.
>Usurp Command
Based on the name, I expected a modal command. Again, I'd nix the flavor text to make the card less busy and try to change the name to better convey the flavor (which is what the flavor text is currently working to do, I'd say).
>Marauder
Very suicide black. It might be a bit too swingy, but honestly I'm not sure.

Thanks for the feedback.
>Heretic
Tried to make the Brutal Hordechief ability cheaper, but situated to make you aggro. I figured it biting back and not giving you the life like Hordechief was enough to counterbalance the fact that it hits every opponent, but maybe not? Hordechief is 3B for a 3/3 and an other ability, for reference.
>Cabalist
I could change the discard to not be random. It's a shame about the flavor text; I rather like it. It might be that I should just rework the card; I'm sure I can figure another way to make "pay me in knowledge then I'll go steel more secrets" into a card.
>Rankculler
What about it violates NWO? It's 3 lines, it's self-targeting, and it doesn't have strange board interactions or cause opponents to have to make judgement calls beyond "do I block this or not?" I dunno, I figured it was good, but fine.
>Usurp Command
How does the name not convey the flavor of stealing the command of a mercenary unit away from its previous owner? That's literally what "usurp" means. Got me puzzled with this one man. I can see nixing the flavor text though; It does scrunch the card text badly.

Hm. Probably fine. I like the idea of hybrid cards that reward you for casting them as gold cards.

This is neat, but I can't tell if it's balanced at all. It feels like it is, but I'm also tired.

"for as long as you control a Spirit." I think. Or something about Spirits you control being on the battlefield. Since it costs 1 more than Oring and Banisher Priest, it might be alright.

Personally if I made this card it wouldn't be a creature, but to each their own. It's hard to say how exploitable this is but how exploitable is Necrotic Ooze?

Back in 2014 I had nothing to do with my life, so for a time I was really active on threads like this and decided to make my own set. I decided to use the Delve mechanic, because I love the time spiral block and I thought it was good enough to made as a main mechanic of a block
> then KHANS OF TARKIR came out

Then I was like, whatever, and decided to work on Hearthstone. Hearthstone is a lot simpler (A LOT), so making a Hearthstone set is much easier as well. But I started dating and stopped having that much free time and never got to publish my Hearthstone set.
> Every single Hearthstone expansion that comes out prints 4~5 cards I had planned for my set
So I lost interest in it, since probably no one is going to believe me, and my set will just sounds like a massive collection of reprints (even though i did them before blizzard)

so, fuck with it

decided to make my own card game

its glorious

GODDAMN GLORIOUS
>feels good man

(btw, I want to work as a board game/card game designer, so even though making custom cards for MtG/Hearthstone was just for fun, if I was able to release them before the original games, would show I know enough about card games to predict their flow)

I like non-creature permanents with +1/+1 counters. I think its a theme that could be explored

I like Mercenary theme. I made some custom cards around that some 8 years ago. I really think that Mercenary tribal goes well with Black + Red, not only black

>Blackheart Cur
Could make that a mechanic: Bla (This creature can't attack or block. Any player may pay to ignore this effect until end of turn.)

> Thug for Hire
Could use the mechanic I mentioned above

> Vicious Marauder
Interesting using echo, feel very mercenary-ish

Interesting, but I feel like a green card like this would likely be a sorcery that goes as "The next creature spell you cast..."

>Because unless I'm making a set (...) I'm just going to strap hot chicks to everything because I like the art and I'm a shameless, unapologetic nerd
Hell, I put hot chicks whenever possible too, even on sets (pic related)

How is mana working now a days? Do the mana get emptied if you don't use it right away? Or does it survives until your next main phase?

Sounds strong, but I wonder if it could get confusing (if Haunter in the Dark gets removed from board, then people just forget about the exiled card). I don't think its something mtg would do

Sounds pretty kickass. I like it (and I'm not even an artifact fan)

Neat. I like the fact it draws by just attacking! But I would make the +1/+1 ability cost only "1B".

>A bit bummed that Wizards announced a set similar to what I'm doing again.
As I've mentioned in previous threads, if you work on your own sets long enough, you'll find that MTG's design space really is as tight as MaRo says. There's no reason to be bummed. I made a few sets more than a decade ago, and Wizards are still releasing new mechanics and themes very similar to ones I explored. The only thing they've released so far that I never explored is Planeswalker cards, because those didn't exist at the time.

By the time you finish your first set you should expect to have explored design space that MTG hasn't touched but will explore overo at least the next decade. Wizards isn't stupid. They've no doubt already tested a mechanic very close to anything we create, and discarded a lot of them too.

Even if you make your own game, a lot of board games are derivative. Making a truly original game is almost impossible. Drafting (7 Wonders) and Deckbuilding (Dominion) might be the only two truly new *genres* to arise in the last couple decades, and even those two were basically created from turning the corresponding *mechanic* of MTG into the core game.

Why?

> Why?
I'm making this little set where it makes sense having a card that is one color in cost, but another in "color". Hence why we have a red-cost card that is white in color. Naturally, not to stray too far from the color pie, such cards usually have abilities or/and effects both colors have (in this case, First Strike). The activated abilities, I just think the go well, since its quite traditional for each white and red to have this sort of opposite abilities (+0/+1 for white, +1/+0 for red), they go nicely together, and since its an ability that requires colored mana to trigger, I don't have to worry too much about the color pie.

Now, why the fuck a kavu would be a paladin, that is a whole other question. That is there mostly to give the card a "wtf" feeling, which seems to have worked as intended considering your post.

Not him, but have you considered using hybrid?

Yes, I have considered using it, but it wouldn't work for what I need.

Show us want you want to work with this then.

It is supposed to be white to work with cards like this, pretty much. Nothing much special really

...That's it? I thought you had an actual reason for your odd design. This is just the return of bland "colors matter". Go back to Lorwyn-Shadowmoor and see how they handled this theme there. Pay close attention to cards that change the colors of other cards.

Decided to do that recurring Metalcraft creature someone mentioned. And of course it turns out I actually already did this idea with another card. But I like this one more anyway.

I will check out that block, I wasn't playing Magic when that block was around so I don't know much in detail about it.

> That's it? I thought you had an actual reason for your odd design.
Mechanic-wise, its just that. :)

OK, so technically it's two two-set blocks, but they're very closely related, so people tend to throw them together. It's really Shadowmoor that uses the colors matter stuff though. They do this through using hybrid mana, but they have a bit of extra support with the Scarecrow tribal, which had its theme around "colors matter" which was kinda odd considering that they're all colorless artifacts, save for one exception that does have colors.

Pic related isn't the exception by the way, just an example of one of the cards that changed the color of cards that I mentioned before.

Also, you should probably read up a bit on Magic. I'd recommend you at the very least skim the themes and mechanics of all the Modern sets (ie, the ones that start with Mirrodin). When did you start Magic anyway? It must've been very recent if you don't even know who Kiora is, assuming you're that guy from the last thread.

Yeah, I just checked some cards (cards from that block (yeah, thought it was the same block haha) with the word "color" on its text). I see they give plenty of support for multicolor on the set, several lands/artifacts to add mana of any color. But mainly it seemed pretty basic stuff. Any other card in particular you would recommend checking out? (of any edition)

I thought about using hybrid but I decided not to for several reasons:
1) Cards such as Paladin Kavu () take a "red" slot on the set. I feel okay with this because it needs red mana to play. If it was hybrid, a card such as that taking a red slot would feel unfair and damaging the color balance
2) I'm personally not a big fan of it. Like I said, its not something that was around when I was playing Magic
3) At least originally, my set was supposed to feel a bit "old school". There are no planeswalkers, and some mechanics I was using were somehow outdated (such as Fear, for instance). I'm no longer using bad keywords like Fear, but I still think that hybrid color would not fit the set's "feel".

1) You aren't tied to any set color distribution. Do you think Wizards didn't change their normal set distribution when they made the multicolor-heavy Shadowmoor?

Also
>I feel okay with this
Doesn't actually mean anything because you're also the designer of the set. If you're just going to make cards for yourself and nobody else, why even share them here?

2) And I'm not a big fan of White cards that cost Red mana. We don't get everything we want.

3) What does this have to do with making cards with a different color than the mana in their casting cost?

And as for your card, have you considered allowing it to change its color? Like
>W: ~ gets +0/+1 and becomes white until end of turn.

> You aren't tied to any set color distribution.
If I make a set with 50 red cards and 65 white cards, it's going to sounds/look/feel weird, isn't it?

> Doesn't actually mean anything
It meant "I think its okay to take a red slot with a card that 'is white' in color but has its cost exclusively red and its effects within the red color pie. Basically, for all effects its a red card with a "___ is white" effect. That is the main reason why I chose this rather than go for hybrid color.

> What does this have to do with making cards with a different color than the mana in their casting cost?
It has to do with reasons why I chose not to use hybrid mana cost, that is why I said "I still think that hybrid color would not fit the set's "feel" ".

> And as for your card, have you considered allowing it to change its color?
Yes, and naturally I plan on having cards that change color in the set (quite frequently, actually). But for this card specific, I thought it would be important to be always white, and to be visually white as well (hence why the card's frame is white).

> When did you start Magic anyway?
my first Magic deck was the starter pack from 7e. The majority time I played was from 7e to 8e, but I kept active until the end of Time Spiral block. (I also played a few sets every once in a while)

>If I make a set with 50 red cards and 65 white cards, it's going to sounds/look/feel weird, isn't it?
I don't know how you got here, but it's a good thing you have complete control of the set isn't it? Seriously, what's the problem here with changing stuff?

>That is the main reason why I chose this rather than go for hybrid color.
All I here is "This is precisely what hybrid mana was made for, but I don't want to use it, because reasons."

>It has to do with reasons why I chose not to use hybrid mana cost, that is why I said "I still think that hybrid color would not fit the set's "feel" ".
What are you reasons then?

>Yes, and naturally I plan on having cards that change color in the set (quite frequently, actually). But for this card specific, I thought it would be important to be always white, and to be visually white as well (hence why the card's frame is white).
What really blows my mind is how, out of all the solutions to this very simple problem, you choose by far the strangest answer.

>my first Magic deck was the starter pack from 7e. The majority time I played was from 7e to 8e, but I kept active until the end of Time Spiral block. (I also played a few sets every once in a while)
When did you get back into Magic then?

After a day of thinking over the feedback I got in the last thread, I've reiterated on Profane. No more -1/-1 counters in the set, no more wither.

Oops. Accidentally put the old Ripper Devil with the old profane in that pic.

> it's a good thing you have complete control of the set isn't it? Seriously, what's the problem here with changing stuff?
I honestly don't see a Magic set not having the exactly same number of cards for each color. I think the "balance" of the colors is a pretty essential part of Magic. If I want to go into that sort of change, I could as well just make my own card game (which I have, which btw does not have the exact number of cards for all "colors")

> "This is precisely what hybrid mana was made for, but I don't want to use it, because reasons."
Not really. Hybrid cards are a card that fits both colors so its not really just one color, but both of them at the same time. That doesn't fit my set's idea, where there's no middle ground - you are either one color or another. More specifically, you are either black or white. Its totally a different feeling than being hybrid.

> ME: At least originally, my set was supposed to feel a bit "old school", but I still think that hybrid color would not fit the set's "feel".
> user: What does this have to do with making cards with a different color than the mana in their casting cost?
> ME: It has to do with reasons why I chose not to use hybrid mana cost
> user: What are you reasons then?
The reasons it is supposed to few "old school", its supposed to feel like a set made before hybrid mana was a thing, so that's one of the reasons I don't want to use it

> What really blows my mind is how, out of all the solutions to this very simple problem, you choose by far the strangest answer.
Seriously, what's the problem here with changing stuff?

> When did you get back into Magic then?
Well, I can't be 100% out of Magic. So I'm always checking out spoilers for new sets, keeping the mechanics in check, etc.

> Oops. Accidentally put the old Ripper Devil
I was wondering that haha I was like WTF

I like this new mechanic. But I would suggest that if you going to keep the great majority of cards within profane 1~2, maybe you should as well just settle for the number 2 and use it to all cards. With this you lose a bit of design space but I think it could be a good trading

> CW05 Blessed Knight
Giving life to get life link :D i like it! But a nice idea for a white profane card is an angel that gets a bunch of shit when it becomes profane, but loses flying (as in a fallen angel!)

> UA01 Soulfuse Golem
Sounds quite strong. A 2 mana artifact that adds 1 mana is okay, a 2/2 creature with that is already quite strong, a 3/2 is unnecessary strong for just 1 point of life (this is why I think profane 2 being the standard would go nicely)

> UM01 Untaintable One
Nice!

> UM05 Sin Seeker
How about "Whenever Sin Seeker becomes blocked, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each profane creature blocking it."

But in overall, I really liked this change!!!

>Profane
I think this is the worst version of Profane I've seen yet. This version just screams memory issues, especially with the new Ripper Devil. In addition, paying extra life for an upside isn't a really hard decision, I can't see many situations where people would actually forgo Profane.

Maybe do that thing in Amonkhet where they had creatures with
>When ~ enters the battlefield, put N -1/-1 counters on a creature you control.
And interact with -1/-1 counters.

What about this?

-1/-1 counters was what the set used extensively before this change, and I got a lot of negative feedback for that too.

>memory issues
DESU I'm actually sick of this reasoning. It really wouldn't be that difficult to just put a counter or a mark on anything that becomes profane if you're playing with a group of goldfish.

>DESU I'm actually sick of this reasoning. It really wouldn't be that difficult to just put a counter or a mark on anything that becomes profane if you're playing with a group of goldfish.
It also wouldn't be difficult to incorporate counters in your cards, if not -1/-1 counters. Just saying.

>negative feedback
Not him, but remember you got the feedback because Momentum, one of your other mechanics, is really too interesting to sacrifice on the altar of "too many counter types" in terms of design space. At least, that was our reasoning.

Memory issues are a real problem when it comes to board state and game state; it's not just a bunch of us crowing for no reason. The reason lands can easily become permanent creatures, or enchantments, or artifacts, is that you can move them up to the "creature row" to represent that and track it. With creatures, differing states are hard to accomplish because you can't easily reposition them, so you need another way. Hence things like Monstrous and Renown working how they do. Now, one option that some people might not like, but you could do, is to use either the Flip mechanic from Kamigawa to represent Profane cards. The reason for Flip and not DFC is that Flip is permanent, and presumably so is Profane, so it fits. DFCs can go back and forth, which isn't what you need. The issue with flips is that they need weird art. So I can't help with that. But the mechanic translation is sound, as far as I can tell.
>Profane N (As an additional cost to cast this, you may pay N life. If you do, it enters the battlefield flipped, and is profane.)

Instead of each time user changes the Profane ability we suggest something else, maybe we should just take a time to brainstorm and find the best option for that ability and the one that most fit user's idea for his set. I will start:

> "Profane (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay 2 life. If you do, this permanent becomes profane.)"
I actually like this one, and I don't think the memory issue is that hard. Memory-wise, its not that far from Soulbound, and I don't remember that having any sort of counters.

> "Profane (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may put a -1/-1 counter on it. It is profane as long as it has a -1/-1 counter on it.)"
I think this could also works. Back when Profane was something like that, what I thought it was mostly weird was not the ability itself, but how most cards interacted with it. Mechanic-wise I think this is a good option but I don't feel it flavor-wise, because for me it doesn't make sense a profane pact give you -1/-1 (that is why I like the option above, because you are taking life from someone else and that is quite profane)

What other suggestions you guys have?