Robot/cyborg transhumanism or gene modding transhumanism?

Robot/cyborg transhumanism or gene modding transhumanism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper/Mechanist_universe
yuki.la/tg/51980267#p51980267
natasha.cc/Dissertation_Life Expansion.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Both. First improve ourselves genetically, then later change to machines what we can, then maybe improve what fleshy bits are left even more.

Kinda but even more so.

At a certain degree of complexity, biology and technology start looking very similar. They both have distinct advantages and disadvantages, so blend the two together and make the best use of both.

>Gene modding
What methods? Designer babies? Eugenics/master race breeding? "Epigenetics" (see pic)? There's a lot of ways to do it master race breeding is best, but none of them occur quickly or easilyu. You can't just "splice" Uri Geller's DNA with cat DNA and come up with Mewtwo, at least not in semi-realistic science fiction.

Retroviral treatments is a post-birth option that makes some sense. You might need to spend a good few months in a vat, but if you can be rewritten and then stimulated into a new growth/regeneration cycle, all those lovely genetic tweaks are now a natural part of you.

Both, to a level where the organic cells have been modified to work in tandem with the synthetic cells, and vice versa.

Transhuman Space had both and you actually couldn't change your genetic package.
Some people were just born with better genetics as they were designer babies but even normal humans can cyborgize themselves.

Wouldn't it be both? You gene mod your body to allow for ready acceptance of augmentations of all sorts or to prepare parts of the body for certain types of augmentation.

I don't understand how the two are mutually exclusive

>All these Harmony/Supremacy bros

Cyborg gene modding
Become immortal without this uploading brains shit

gene modding since robot transhumanism is just getting cucked by robots

Both, at once.

Why is this even a question?

We have to ask for insurance purposes.

Of course. I never implied 70s comic book genetics.
Good point.

Both ofcourse
Adapted biology allows better compatibility with higher decree of cyborginization and integration.Anyway, if you are going to be largely artificial but leave some remnants of organic parts you may aswell make them as suitable as you can since you won't be very purely "human" anymore anyway

Okay, new question.
If you could mod yourself and be limited only by imagination, what would you become?

A dwarf

An amorphous nano-entity. Every cell augmented to be able to communicate and physically interact with every other cell, letting my body reform itself however I desire. I can look and act like a human, but change my looks, gender or features at whim, exploring all forms of human experience and even going beyond it, experimenting with a huge variety of transhuman bodies. Distributed intelligence throughout my body will lead to higher forms of cognition, and absolute decentralisation will mean I'm impervious to most forms of harm, able to reconstitute myself from a tiny minority of my self if need be.

>Retroviral treatments is a post-birth option that makes some sense
There's a massive risk of that causing incurable cancer in every part of your body when you do something like that.

True, but genetic treatments might also be the cure for cancer. The early experiments won't be safe, but the problems should eventually be solved.

Why limit yourself to one thing? Indulge in your fetish one day, transform into a space travel form the next, and land on a world as a tank for the unscrupulous job you undoubtedly have, you total sociopath.

Turn every individual cell into a cyborg. Not only will their existing abilities be enhanced, and not only is there potential to trigger your own genetic programs consciously (to, for example, grow new teeth or upload new virus definition databases for your immune system), but you could even do things like radical temporary shapeshifting, because two cells could still communicate even when not immediate neighbours.

There's no reason to give up the benefits of living flesh to gain the benefits of steel when you can have them both.

Will you also have an autismal obsession of enforcing a fascist type of order on the lesser beings you encounter?

My nigga.

Grow gene modded organs in a lab and then implant them into the body. Similar to cybernetics, but with less maintenance.

CRISPR?

The Internet. Including, of course, the Internet of Things, various industrial control systems, etc...

In short, a non-murderous Skynet.

I cannot sit back and allow transhumanist infiltration, transhumanist indoctrination, transhumanist subversion and the international transhumanist conspiracy to warp and impurify all of our precious bodies.

>Why not both?

That said, there is a classic (post)cyberpunk setting about the conflict between a faction using gene modding, and a faction using cybernetics.

(Spoilers: both factions are being manipulated by (((alien merchants))) the "winners" of this setting are people who end up using both cybernetics and biotech.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaper/Mechanist_universe

Controller of everything. An entity of unbelievable power. Power man.

Nano cybernetics... ambitious

Why bother?

>limited only by imagination
God. Big G deity.

Because that's what the sci-fi species you're describing did.

Clearly they didn't have their priorities straight.

That's why they got their asses kicked by the spacefaring equivalent of liberal hippies.

Slaanesh pls go and stay go

What's Slaaneshi about that? It's the ultimate form of physical existence, at least as far as we're able to comprehend it. The absolute ability to reshape the self, both physical and cognitive optimisation, absolute adaptability and flexibility.

Of course, by the point it's capable it's more than likely something smarter than a human, whether a posthuman or an AI, will have a better idea, but for now I'd say that's about as good as it conceivably gets.

Five thousand?

my game setting technically has both:

Genetics Project Echidna
Cybernetics Project Typhon

you can figure out the results for yourself.

>Uri Geller
Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A cute little girl.

I would like to be playing halo 2 online when I was 11 years old again, but I'd like to do and be that for the rest of eternity.

I think that's what heaven would feel like. It was the most blissful time in my life.

I like the aesthetics of robot/cyborg transhumanism more than gene modding.

Damn it user, you're making me sad.

Genetic modding, "mashing up animal traits together" style
it's the basis of a setting that I came up with some time ago. It didn't really catch on with Veeky Forums so I haven't done much with it in a while

I remember when people told me that I need to grow up, and I recognize that there are skills I've yet to learn and that there are certain virtues in maturity, but I've been damned ever since I ever fall into their childlike notion that I should abandon that childlike wonder. I hope that I still have that magic in some hidden chamber of my heart, but I fear I shall sooner die of old age than find it again.

Pic related would be my default humanoid form, but this .

roughly about the time Michael Jackson died I'm guessing

Is that Giorno Giovanna?

Science isnt for pussies user. Unless your trying to change someones sex. In which case then it is.

>Is that Giorno Giovanna?
Who the hell is -

*does GIS*

Oh my.

Hippie meditation "It's all in the mind you know" transhumanism. Because, since none of them are actually going to happen, I figure go for the one that's most fun and least work.

Augmentation is the way of the future
>in b4 I didn't ask for this

yuki.la/tg/51980267#p51980267

>Nanomachines, son!
Cellular Cyborgs

If you have infinite resources and time, go both
If you want your transhumans quickly with low initial investment but hight cost per unit go syborg.
If you have the time to spare and resources to sink into initial development infestment and want your transhumans in bulk, go genetics

>you actually couldn't change your genetic package
pre-programmed retroviruses or nanomachines (son!).
We actually have the tech for rertovirus gene-moding of already formed organisms in developement right fucking now.

>Robot/cyborg transhumanism or gene modding transhumanism?
yes

Oh! A transhumanism thread! I'll leave this here for anyone who's interested.

natasha.cc/Dissertation_Life Expansion.pdf

>Mexican child.jpg

Isn't there a problem with retroviruses where if the process isn't sufficiently fast, the body will start rejecting the cells that have already been modified, or is that just something I picked up from some sci-fi movie/novel and incorporated into my real knowledge?

Don't we already have gene-children? I read somewhere that in China babies where modificied genetically. Is it true?
I for one welcome our mexican-indians overlords.

I din't know about that but properly distributing the retrovirus into every cell has been a massive roadblock.

Extremis is the way to go.

youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww

Go full clem with grineer-style gene modding.

That’s nice, but it has it’s issues, like inserting at wrong sites.

Also, protein engineering was still limited to fiddling with existing ’tein till it started doing what they wanted last time I chanced. Untill protein complexes can be designed from scratch, we can’t do any miracles.

Fixing the immune system not to attack modified cells woudl be the easiest step.

You can just kill the original bone marrow with chemo and then replace it with GMO one. It has been done, the patient lived.

he looks better than in manga on this pic

Bump