MtG Hours of Devastation

The god cycle is complete.

Other urls found in this thread:

pucatrade.com/profiles/show/169815
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like the Scarab God in a vacuum but considering the fact that everyone thought he was going to be a combo with the other two and he isn't makes me sad. Also, worst art of the cycle.

It makes up for it by having an absolutely ridiculous activatable ability.

Really cool cycle

Im definitely building zombie tribal Scarab God for edh

I am very pleased with this cycle. They all make interesting commanders and I'm sure they will also impact standard.
Well done WotC.

>scarab god doesn't combo with the other 2

Booo

>nice flavor
>shit art
>why

>Implying you don't discard fodder with Locust to recur with Scarab.

I am surprised at how well put together this cycle is. The Amonkhet gods were such trash and this makes them look even worse.

Locus is a completely new spin on UR that doesn't involve casting spells.

Scorpion rivitalizes a lot of old wither cards much like Hapatra, except more on color.

Scarab is a mix of every non mill strategy in its colors. Which is refreshing. Except that we already have two Dimir Zombie commanders.

9.5/10

then you put a -1/-1 counter on it and sac it to make tokens with Locust

>everyone
whomst?

I think they were hoping for the three gods to potentially go infinite when on the board together, something like:
>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
for the Scarab God.

>exiling your own graveyard
>recur

This is more designed to graveyard hate and steal your opponents stuff.

Fucking thank you for making it do something that wasn't just mill, its actually pretty good/cool

>Hours of Devastation
>Hours
>s
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
DELETE THIS THREAD REMAKE IT YOU WROTE IT WRONG
A
G
A
I
N
YOU FUCKFACE FUCK
EVERY THREAD
EVERY TIME
YOU CUNT

Eh, the locust god is actually just a new spin on niv mizzet or nekusar in practice I believe. But hes very cool anyway and probably will draw less hate in commande I assume as he isnt a 1 card combo like Niv and not as easy to kill with and fewer colors than Nekusar

Looking forward to playing these fucking things.

To be fair, the art is decent, but the design is terrible.

>that moment when they pull one over on us all and have one for every color pair, but don't spoil the rest
I mean, yeah its nico bolas, but still. I want some new R/G tech that isn't a terrible planeswalker

Scorpion God looks worse just because the stinger and head and way too bunched together.

>spawns insects
>not green/red
>why?

I actually think scarab looks the worst because the scarab part is so rounded and cartoony.

Because there is more to the text of the card than the creature type it makes. Nothing about the card says RG.

Because everything it's doing is U/R other than the creature type of the token, and G/R would not be having flying tokens that are made on drawing cards, nor an ability to draw first then discard.
Just pretend they're locust-shaped elementals if it bugs you that much

The locust god's locusts consume magic (its purpose in the hours is to devour the hekma) which is why theyre blue and not red I suppose.

>blue and not red
Not green i meant. I can see locusts as red fine enough

the tokens are blue and red though

It opens up token strats for UR, which I consider new. Midwrack liege makes these guys 3/3s and slaps your commander down for 2 mana cheaper.

I wonder how expensive the scarab masterpiece will be. I'd buy that shit for edh

Wizards why didn't Delver change color after it transforms? Creature types are only allowed to be at most two different colors REEEEEEEE

I guess so. I just think thr most effective strategy is just gonna be wheeling a lot and then treating the tokens as burn effectively. i didnt even think of UR tokens.

Yes that's a good point. I imagine pic related would fit in very nicely.

Maybe it makes sense that they don't combo. Why would Nicol Bolas, the next best bad guy behind Phyrexia have subordinates who could amass infinite power and usurp him? Feels more likely flavor wise to have disjointed gods who can still work decently together. Reach?

Delver is a blue because its an abomination created by science. Theres a flavor reason its blue. There is a reason this guy is blue too though so.

Point being that insects don't have to be any specific color, because like you said there can always be a flavor reason.

That, my good man, was bait. And you have fallen for it. Don't you look the fool!?

Well, its definitely an expensive bulk rare perfect for edh. My thought was favorable winds

>favorable winds
well yeah that one too

Yeah but the problem is flavor can be used to justify anything. Its a pretty fluid thing.

>looting
>haste
>part of Bolas' grixis color pie
That's why dumb dumb. Red has insects as well.

WHY IS EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE LOCUST GOD NOT BEING GREEN WHEN THE OTHER TWO ARE ALSO INSECT BASED?

Because it makes insect tokens, and clearly insects are only allowed to be green. Ignore all those non-green insects, insects are nature and so are green.

Scorpions are centered in black and also they are just hurty animals which feels red. Scarabs were black in Amonkhet and U was one of the zombie colors in this block because of rmbalm and now eternalize so scarab god colors made sense. The justification fot the blue in the locust god flavorfully is a little more abstract.

-

I wish the scarab god's head looked a little less like a kid's playdough model and a little more like scarab amulet type thing.

Wow, so you're telling me there are green insects? Thank you for informing us. Clearly this means that's the only color identity they can have.

what are you trying to prove?

Wait, there's more

You know what would actually be decent against the locust god?

That he's a retard who doesn't seem to get the argument that looting, haste and flying are all very blue and/or red.

Just drunk and rolling with the autism

Funnily enough they commented on the flavor fuck up here in the article for the locust god. The god is meant to take down the Hekma, yet the card representing its protection stops what he does very specifically.

That's the cycle?
Only Bolas color gets gods?

>abstract
I dunno, flying is pretty self explanatory for being blue and card draw is just consumption or desire for knowledge. It's a bug shaped god that spawns a plague to eat shit.

The only fucking reason people are getting mad is because the insect type tokens when shit like Talrand and Docent of Perfection exist. It's dumb. Don't pigeon hole design for your autism.
Okay but this stupid thing and the entire fucking Delver line of creatures. Insects are also in white what are you gonna do about that?

Yes? They are Bolas's gods after all and were told specifically that there were originally 8 gods.

Yes.

Yes, we've known this since very early on in Amonkhet. There were 8 gods, but 3 went away somewhere.

Yes.
Originally there were 8.
That's 5+3.

To be fair not everyone reads the story

Flying can be used by all colors when necessary flavorwise except green which still gets it rarely like when dragons mattered in Tarkir. I think locusts could be characterized as squarely red so i think if the god didnt need to be UR the tokens themselves could be monored.

They could have put as a passive ability "Damage can't be prevented" as that is still in red's flavor and removed flying since the other two don't. But that would be too wordy even though they thought 9 lines of text would be ok for the scarab god.

Oh ok, cool. I can understand why they went away though, these 3 are fucking ugly compared to the others.

Also the abstract part is that its blue because of its association with the hekma, and the locusts are specially designed to take it down. So in other words its kinda the same reason blue gets counterspells, its really good at dealing magic. Of course the actual card's abilities are solidly UR.

I would still characterize locusts' as black since they are synonymous with famine and black is the color that is opposite of G/W the color which heavily likes agriculture

God damn I don't know what to play in Standard anywhere.

These ones are ugly because Bolas twisted them to make them that way, which seemingly also changed what animal they represent. Nissa has said that all the gods were "mammals, birds or reptiles" before Bolas came around.

They didnt just go away, bolas killed them and stored them away himself, warping them to be used during the hours. They also werent always bugs, all the gods were originally reptiles, mammals, and birds. So bolas fucked em up good.

Which means at least one of these three was a bird.

>insects are baaaaad
nissa is hitler

Or Kefnet was just really lonely.

Oh yeah given absolutely no context id place locusts as green (theyre all about eating) or black (plague/famine). But i can see red if we think of them as being mindless overconsumers. The distinction from black would be that black does it for self benefit, and green wouldn't overconsume. It depends on how you want to characterize locusts. But i agree the first thought is black given no other context.

Not necessarily, Kefnet is an Ibis.

Probably the Locust god. Most likely easier to turn something with wings into something else with wings

To be fair theyre all pretty shitty bugs. Scarab more literally than the other two but still.

>have egypt plane
>no fucking falcon head god

She was elf-hitler until they retconned her into a more typical treefucker elf that just loves nature and flowers and birds.

I'm more upset the original five are dead. Oketra and Hazoret were bros.

I mean, Snakes and Crocodiles aren't really that much more pleasant

And Bontu is a bitch. Coincidence? I think not.

She just wanted to impress Bolas-senpai

How was she a bitch?

She asked for the initiates to give her their hearts, but the only one she ever wanted was Bolas's.

Why do all three look like their legs are buried into the fucking ground? It's like the artist can't draw legs or something.

Also I'm noticing an unhealthy amount of frogposting in this thread...

Anyone here still using Pucatrade?

If you do, I would like for you to zero me out, I want out.

pucatrade.com/profiles/show/169815

I think they were going off of that ancient story about gilgamesh and the scorpion people. I can't think of anything else where there is a man with a scorpion for a head.

Create a 1/1 blue and red Insect creature token with flying and "Damage dealt by this creature can't be prevented".

Nah, just put 'Damage can't be prevented' on The Locust God

Guys... People thought he was bad in limited... Now he can be a 4/4 and unblockable...

That's not the worst, but I'd still probably rather have something with evasion that has more impact the first time around.

Or it never goes into your graveyard, as they laugh at you attempting to race with a 1/1 unblockable.

>Bolas picked them because of their color alignment
>ignored Kefnet, Bontu and Hazoret

Why?

Is that stated somewhere? I assumed he forced them into fitting his colors after stealing them away, sort of like he did with turning Sarkhan and Tezzeret black-aligned.

Well bontu and hazoret seem to have daddy issues with bolas, kefnet... He got mindfucked so...
I just hope they explain what the purpose of the 3 gods were BEFORE bolas...

How's that? Is there an eternalize anything card now?

But then why not just pick the gods that already are his colors?

Did you see the OP?

The Scarab God?

What are some awesome dudes to bring back late with Scarab God in Standard?? Particularly in Grixis but I'm interested in anything really. I'd particularly like to see low mana dudes who benefit from the better statline

So far I've got Gifted Aetherborn, Goblin Dark-dwellers, any gearhulk.

it took me a second too. I just skimmed it and assumed it placed a generic 4/4 zombie on the field. Which would still be fine but this is obviously much better.

Neheb, The Worthy

Gear hulks would be great for the etb's. if it wern't so color restrictive Imagine getting a Samut.