Well Veeky Forums, why does your character get more powerful the more people they kill?

Well Veeky Forums, why does your character get more powerful the more people they kill?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x2ggGhbbM_0
youtu.be/UtmGSJdvavY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Experience, dumbass.

Because he does this thing called "learn."

We use milestone levelling so he doesn't I suppose.

youtube.com/watch?v=x2ggGhbbM_0

Why do your characters get stronger when the arbitrary god man in the sky randomly says they do based on his own vague set of notes ?

Because arbitrary god man in the sky said so, obviously. You ain't going to judge decisions of arbitrary god man in the sky, are you?

Because in my setting when you kill a thing it's spiritual essence scatters to the wind, some of it being absorbed by you simply due to proximity, the rest of it slipping into the magical background radiation.

This is why people hate necromancers, cause they're literally stealing everyone else magical juice and fucking with it. Any other kind of spell just goes off and the magic fades back into the fabric of things

This is also why orphans who survive the massacre of their whole family or tribe tend to grow up to be protagonists, because they absorb some of the power of those who die around them

it's the perfect explanation

It can also lead to some really sinister shit, like sacrificing people to make yourself stronger ala Elric

But there are diminishing returns

My wizard has infinite power, kept in check by several, cascading, subconscious mental limitations secretly imposed by his mentor during his education.

With each life he takes, these restraints ease due to many factors; the stress of battle, the self-actualization of victory, increased confidence, perceived righteousness and therefore a greater right to power.

Because after killing one dude you know how to kill dudes a little bit better.

"If you meet Buddha in the road, kill them."

Obviously all life is a part of the great truth. By killing them, you liberate that piece of the truth and take it into your being.

except they don't, not directly at least

this quote alludes to the crpgs gameplay, and crpgs amount of fighting and killing is heavily extragerated from their tabletop basis. Which is D&D. Which is already one of the most combat-centric games around.

There games where you aren't supposed to fight so often, or even, at all.
There are games where there is no direct link between kills and character progression, or even, there is no character progression at all.

She doesn’t.

She just magicaly gains new skills and abilities every few months.

I have an OSR fighter who racks up bonuses based on his kills with specific weapon types and a life crafting mage who dissolves creatures to learn how to make other nasty critters with their gubbins.

So yes.

Skulls for the skull throne.

youtu.be/UtmGSJdvavY
You just gotta remember to eat their bones, it contains their power.

It's a matter of pressure obviously. Everyone has a semipermeable membrane which allows essence to transfer in but not out. For this to happen the pressure of essence outside needs to be higher than inside, you can increase the exterior essence density by killing things and spilling their essence all over the place but if they are a lot weaker than you are they won't push the pressure levels high enough to give you a boost.

You have to go and find more powerful people and things to kill to keep getting boosted.

Sort of like a spongue when it reaches saturation!

Fantasy world doesn't operate like our world. Instead of skill, health, and intelligence being mostly separate things that decay with misuse and age, they are all tied together in some way that let people become better.

If I was playing heroic rpg, then rescued damsels give xp. If it's dungeon crawling, getting treasure gives xp. If it's something else, then it gives xp. But xp is the sane for everyone. You become stronger, more potent. Supernatural durability is not only achievable, but part of becoming stronger and better. In real life your hand gets crushed, heals incorrectly, and your dream of becoming a swordsman is ruined. In fantasy you grow from that experience and one day you may defeat your hand-crushing rival I'm a duel.

Then again how much there is to learn after you kill, say, your tenth dude? Like, I don't think the 21st goblin you kill is going to be a big revelation over the 20th one.

He doesn't, he gets more powerful when he gets the money to fix/upgrade his giant robot, so basically when the GM says he can.
I wish there was an actually good system for giant robots, Mekton just doesn't do it well enough for me.

If your setting doesn't have a tyrant who orders that genocide-tier mass executions be performed in his presence so he can achieve ultimate power then get the fuck out of here and never come back.

>how did you get good at fighting?
>by fighting

Because keeping track of experience is a pain in the ass and leads to players leveling up at the worst possible time during a session.

He doesn't. Instead, the more people/creatures he kills, the more hollow he will feel inside, the more it turns out how pointless his whole endeavour was to begin with. Suffering from ptsd, he sees his victims in his dreams, so he chooses not to sleep. However, the deprivation of sleep blurs his perception, until he no longer can tell reality from imgination.
Needless to say, you can't win in my game

So how many does it take to become an expert? How many cars do you need to fix to become a master mechanic? When do you stop improving? When can I stop going to the gym, it's not like lifting this weight for the 121st time is gonna make me any stronger than the 120th time. So clearly there's no point in doing it anymore.

I'm stealing this and incorporating it into an evil monk NPC's shtick.

Maybe it wont't, so you will have to kill many goblins after the 20th one to adquire some significant experience.
To the point that if you want to learn you may consider kill other things more dangerous than goblins.

It's certainly an interesting idea but it has nothing to do with the quote you posted.

He learns from each battle and uses that experience to inprove his fighting style he also uses the battle loot to get better weapons and armor.

It kind of disturbs me that this actually makes sense.