Warhammer 40,000 general /40kg/

Most Play-tested Edition Ever Edition

>FAQ
17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Warhammer_40000_Designers_Commentary-ENG.pdf

>Latest news :
warhammer-community.com

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
mega.nz/#F!ToIUlLiR!o91HYGSY9WBNpei5P_2bTw List Builder
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#!/rosterCreator#/rosterCreator

>WIP Math-hammer doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

First for the best primarch

First for heresy

Indeed, the best primarch is a dead primarch.

Oh good drag the easiest home ruling arguement into the next thread

Best dead primarch, best living primarch is here.

Too Soon!

Off to a great start.

>home ruling

I have a big event event coming up with some WAACfags. If I can stuff their Knight with this I need to know some hard facts.

Also, Plasma or Melta vs Knights with Scions?

Not even close m8

Saved.
Also looking for feedback on this list.

Also keep in mind that you only need two models together for coherency. So you can split your units how you please as long as they have a buddy.

LION

FUCKING

WHEN
H
E
N

Here's the unmarked template version.

How are your Scions deploying? Last edition I had a friend grav chute in 3 teams of melta vets on top of my Stompa, shit was devastating

I don't have a flyer yet so I was just gonna drop them in. Or maybe load up a Taroux and taxi them around. Not sure.

>tfw all the knights, wraithknights, gorkanauts, swarmlords and warlord titans in the entire world will never be able to kill a single grot in close combat if he is standing on a 3" podium

Is melta even worth it for scions compared to plasma this edition?
>deep strike so you dont need a valk
>rapid fire
>season with tempestor using reroll 1 order for that delicious risk free overcharge barrage
Seems like this is cheaper and frees up transport space.

Couldn't it just attack the building instead or did they drop those rules this edition?

Its not a building, its a ruin

Ruins have no profile so they cant be destroyed

Got all my orks out of storage, and am going through and repairing any that broke or fell apart, then moving on to finishing at least a few of the projects I dropped around 6th ed. (when i quit playing). Been playing off and on since 2nd ed., so this is more or less all the crap I have to show for it. Not shown are a few old warbikes and boar riders (who I guess I'll count as warbikes, unless boar riders come back ever).

Anyone else dragging everything out for 8th ed?

It's a ruin not a building, you can no more attack it than you can a forest or crater.

A possible interpretation of the rules

Ah didn't realize they could get rerolls and melta probably isn't worth it unless you're going to be on top of them

if we ever get the lion, they better finally explain cyphers bs, ive been playing on and off since 3rd, and i remember when you could take him in an IG army and it always bugged me

that isn't a building it's a hill or wall or ruin or anything thats 3" high.
I'm just going to put my model on the wall titled with the base in the air, because i can just measure from the closest point.

what part of the "closest points of the bases" do you not understand

The base is ts the physical plastic disc, not some invisible cylinder that extends into space

i love the smile on whatever that vehicle is in the back

Its how I'm running my anti tank scion squads. I need the valk space for my Inquisitor+acolytes+priest+bullgryn drop of death and Armored sentinels can fill in as vehicle hunters as well.

Melta is just too damn expensive and short ranged.

Why are my Iron Hands brothers whining? What were they upset about?

The closest parts of the bases are 1 inch away horizontally. Where does it say you have to measure diagonally or vertically?

Diagonal line from base a to base b is the only reasonable interpretation of closest two points

And here we see user's inabillity to draw anything to scale. Surely he must be a master of his craft.

Not being included by name in the Index because they have no Character models and Chapter Tactics/Relics aren't a thing until the Codex.

Also Medusa not being on the Galaxy map that had the homeworlds of every other Chapter in the SM Codex, even shit like the Crimson Fists.

It's come up in multiple threads. It's not a huge thing, though, probably the first tile to go when the bingo board gets updated.

Mate, you're the one raising the query, where does it say you measure horizontally?

Closest point implies in 3d space

Thanks. It was a looted wagon back in the day, I suppose (until a codex comes out) it's a small battlewagon or a funny enclosed trukk, depending on my needs. I might put some extra crap on it to bulk it up for the battlewagon role, though.

doesn't work, the podium will still be the ground floor of the ruins. even if its raised.

they need to be in the upper levels of something like this for it to matter.

by your interpretation, a marine standing at the bottom of a 9" tall ruin can hit a model on the top as long as their base is 1" away horizontally

>want to get some used models to strip and practice painting on
>get Grey Knights
>realize GK only come in one color scheme
>don't want to replace decent paint job with my garbage

Fuck. Maybe I'll use it as an example.

Perhaps ruins need not have multiple floors and just be represented by giant piles of debree?

GW brand ruins have multiple floors

Now that you mention it that is pretty rude. Please mark the tile for me, I'd like to issue an official whine into the record.

GK can be other colours.
You don't need to stick to fluff established colour schemes.

ez pz

Rules discussion. Due to the wording of Word of the Phoenix does this mean I can soul burst any Ynarri unit, ignoring the restrictions of Strength from Death as it doesn't explicitly state units with that rule, just a friendly one.

>one of these is 175pts
>the other is 200pts

he can only end his move on the ground floor. No part of the base can go above ground floor

Looks solid, although a tad vulnerable to Terminators.

seriously this.
this is such an obvious solution, people arguing its a possible exploit have to be trolling. No one can actually be that dense right?

That isn't Jaghatai Khan and you fucking know it

>on the ground floor of the ruins
Nope. That edge is not on the ground floor. Nice try though.

Kek. You got it.

>this is such an obvious solution
It's against the rules. See You don't have to like it.

200pt one can deepstrike.

>i am literally incapable of reading rules

The fix will probably just be counting "the base" as extending halfway up, or all the way up, the model's body. I guess if you bug GW enough about it, they'll address it, since they're talking to us like a real company these days.

25pts for a pistol heavy flamer seems ok since both units have shit bs.

It was same in 7, Strength from Death allowed "non vehicle" but WoP said directly "Soulburst"

>the mini with the better statline and that has a situational regen ability is more expensive.

umm yeah ok, and this is worth mentioning because?

I would argue no by RAI. Since the ability states the target must not have already used a Soulburst action that turn, it implies it's only supposed to target a unit which can Soulburst normally. Seems like a definite oversight.

By RAW it works, but I think that's an exploit that GW will errata. I wouldn't allow it.

and he's followed those rules exactly. as depicted thats a single level ruin that only has a ground floor.

Is it even worth running riptides anymore?

This is legal right.

You can make them bright silver, dark silver, goldish silver, gray silver, gray, like a million options for highlights which all will influence how the models look.

There are so many glazes and washes to choose from, how is that a problem?

WHEN

I think you could legally target any Ynnari unit, but then nothing would happen unless the targeted unit was Infantry, Biker or the Yncarne.

Now I have a question, if you take a Shadowseer as Ynnari, can you still generate the Harelquin powers or are you now limited to Ynnari powers?

yes.
knights can go on the ground floor.

Yes, as long as you support them with other units. List made up entirely of Riptides are what is dead.

The Ground floor is the Floor Closet to the ground FYI. Since there is only 1 floor it has to be the ground floor. No I would be all with you if they where on a 2nd floor

Noone expect Yvraine and Yncarne can use Reveneant.

That's a massive error if so, being able to target things that can't benefit is stupid. It doesn't state anywhere on the spell that it requires them to have that unit type either.

As for your question; Ynarri magic only works for Yvraine and the Yncarne, harlequins have to pick from their own magicks

There's nothing that gives them access to the revenant discipline is there?

"EXCEPT" fuck my typing

Why ever take Maulerfiends? Holy shit.

But why run a riptide when commanders are superior

Holy shit I didn't even notice that. I thought simply gaining the 'Ynnari' keyword would allow access. Guess I cheated a bit on my first few games but oh well.

Did you forget the part where it also hits friendly models? It's the only thing in the game that does it besides exploding vehicles. There is also an argument to be made that it also hits itself since everything is assumed to be within range of themselves for things such as auras.

It also isn't a DT therefore taking up a FA slot, gets weaker after taking 2W, can't use its weapon after it lands, and so needs to make a 9" charge so it doesn't immediately die after being forced to dump it's payload.

The base isn't on the ground floor the bast is only touching the outside of the ruins and on the corner of the ruins ground floor, the knight is not on any level of the ruin.
Exactly the knight isn't in the ruins.

this guy with flamer sponsons might almost have enough fire to satisfy my sisters purging needs.

Also deth korp rough rider squadron commander is sure to be a HQ right? All cavalry army an option?

>whynotboth.avi

>for only 25 points more, the Chaos one gets +9" of movement, +1 WS, +2 Strength, +1 Toughness, +1 save, 4 attacks instead of random D6, an AP -2 D2 melee weapon, the ability to regain Wounds by killing things in combat, a better explosion on death rule, does not suffer from Instinctive Behaviour, and for all that it only has 2 less Wounds (made up for by the regaining them in melee) and a more situational gun.
>chaosfags see this as a problem

>second floor 1 inch above first floor.
We terrain cheese now

So when the Skatach WK comes out you'd argue in an 8th Ynarri list it can soulburst with Word: Phoenix?

so what is it looking like at your local, point wise, 2k/3 detachment or the next one down? i havent played in a long time, and getting 3 guys to meet this weekend, just curious what you guys have seen

Not the guy you were replying to, but the Dreadclaw is waaay to expensive for a drop-pod. You have to use it in melee after dispensing the cargo which is too far away for a reliable charge, and it's low WS makes it extremely mediocre at close combat, more a distruption tool than anything.

Is it good/bad? Time will tell, but I don't see any reason to take it over say, a Rhino, or a unit that can deepstrike closer like Terminators.

Again, it can't do anything when it comes down, kills friendly models, and starts suffering penalties after 2 wounds.

My LGS had a 8th edition release at 2k points. It was pretty good.

We've mostly been playing 50-75 PL

My group has been slowly easing into the game, starting with about 1000 points so we can try out the stuff we want.

But other players at the LGS I've seen tend to play around 2k points. I don't think I've seen anything higher than 2500 being played yet.

>or a unit that can deepstrike closer like Terminators.
Terminators can't Deep Strike any closer and can't bring another unit with them.

>that inferno gun
>plus can replace two stubbers with heavy flamers

hnnngh this is the big flamer tank I've been looking for.

So what's the deal with this

How so? Deep Strike and getting the shit shot out of everything?
I can drop one of the Tyrgon Primes.

Toppest
Kekking
Fuck

Yeah I guess you can do that RAW.
but no templates so why does it matter.

Maggotmancy seems like it would be pretty limited in scope
>Faminebringer
>He brings a lack of food
Diabolical

Damn they really are Spaces Wolves but ickier.

I find so much of the new fluff genuinely unreadable. My mind just kind of glosses over as it tries to translate back into 3rd-4th ed speak.