MTG Standard General

So, what you trying to make?

Would you pay 3BB to make your opponent discard 3 cards?

Other urls found in this thread:

essentialmagic.com/em2/Doc.aspx?hdocid=239
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-06-17-jund-counters
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes depending on the scenario. This card is good because you can manipulate it in your favor with good timing.

Conbustiable Gearhulk, with its card disadvantage or damage effect, is very similar to this card and came attached to a substantial body. It saw little to no play. I can't imagine this will either.

Cards that give your opponent a choice are always terrible and this no exception. Your opponent gets 3 choice and will always pay with the resource they care the least about and between the choice of 3 life/permanents/cards in hand its to much.

Trying Mono Red Madness Hazoret.
So far, amazing.

It just sucks for standard. You'll think twice when you're going to be asked to choose 20x times in EDH.

To be fair, this card guarantees the resource loss it provides. The enemy either loses 3 life, one non-land permanent or a card.

Combustible gave you POTENTIALLY tons of damage if the opponent didn't let you draw 3 cards.

>leave magic for a few years
>decide to come back because miss competitive aspect
>in the middle of spoiler season so no reason to try deck build for another week

Worst feeling. A lot of the aggro looks slower than when I left and control is almost non-existant.

Discarding is fucking pointless because 1/2 the playable shit in standard bounces back from the grave.

4x Torment of Hailfire
4x Torment of Venom
4x Torment of Scarabs
4x Remorseless Punishment.
What else should go into this pile of crap for maximum torment?

Swamps!

You could pound some nails into your scrotum before every game.

Well yes, but I mean what to fill out the nonland parts with to help murder shit and discard things and keep the deck maybe alive to hit these stupid spells.

>slower aggro
>control non-existent
>even though you didn't say it there is basically no combos

Welcome to Standard. Now play your midrange creature curve into your planeswalkers or get out.

Those cards are really night and day. One is basically fireball and the other is a fatty.

'It's good in EDH' is pretty much the death cry of bad cards.

FNMs have been way too boring. All I see is the same "flood" strategy. I miss when more specific win-cons were out there. Anyway, is there an ANTI-mono black zombies deck?

That sucks, I was looking forard to playing control since I hardly touched that archetype before. RG Pummeler looks closest to what I feel comfortable playing but jeez in the same colors before you could have Experiment One, Burning Tree Emissary, and Flinthoof Boar as the ideal explosive start.

>Trying Mono Red Madness Hazoret.
>So far, amazing.
add green for best results

Why 25 land and not 23?

What decks have you faced in your LGS meta?
What deck are you running right now?
What cards are you looking forward to in HoD?

Trying to brew up Grixis Tapout Control, I feel like I'm just missing a good T3 play, all I have right now is Sin Prodder

Went 3-1 and tonight's FNM playing UR control for the first time.

Game 1 was against, Mono black zombies. I got it 2-1. First round she got me due to sheer bounce back value and I just couldn't deal with it all. Round 2, I got it with Gearhulk beats after having a rough start, but Sweltering Suns did a lot of work. Game 3, I had a good start being able to remove something or counter every turn before sticking a Gearhulk. We went to turns, but I was swinging 9 a turn and it ended quick.

Game 2 was against BG Energy. Round 1 I got it mainly because of some great Gearhulks, and the fact that he was flooding hard. Round 2 and 3 he was just too quick and stuck Bristling Hydras both rounds.

Game 3 was the mirror, which was interesting. I chose to draw since I knew what he was playing. Round 1 I hit all of my land drops, but I was drawing all of my removal spells and I couldn't find Counters, so I never won a counter war. Round 2, I kept a risky hand with 2 lands, and although I got stuck in 2 for a turn or 2, I got my drops. this caused him to get greedy and tap out, so I stuck a Gearhulk that targeted glimmer. after that, I was able to take it. Round 3 I had a nice draw and was able to play Gearhulk because I knew he had no counters as he used a lot countering my spells of my own, and he was also missing land drops.

Finally, Game 4 was against BW Zombies. Round 1 he had a retardedly explosive start and I couldn't find enough removal. Round 2, I played my sb Thing on 2 and Dynavolt on 5 holding up counter / removal. after that, Dynavolt killed 3 of his creatures over the course of the game and it just generated to much pressure and I got it. Round 3 was very similar, with an agressive t3 sweltering Suns. It was real close, but eventually I had 2 Dynavolt towers, and I killed one of his creatures, then countered 2 spells and wiped the rest of his board.

Overall, I am living the deck so far and I like my list. Sideboard still needs a but of tuning but I'll get there.

Sin proder isn't good in control because they very rarely will give you the card, as you are a control deck so your threat to their life total won't be real until they've already lost the match due to you locking them down.
I don't think Grixis is very good for tap-out control right now, as a lot of it's answers are instant speed. When you got:
>R
Harness lightening, shock, magma spray, firey temper, and abade soon
>B
Fatal push, grasp of darkness, and soon Hour of Glory
>U
Disallow, void shatter, censor, Horribly Array, soul scatter, commit, Torrential Gearhulk, and soon Supreme Will and Nimble Obstructor
>RB
Unlicensed Disintegration
It's hard to consider Tap-out the right move, instead of draw go.

If you want to run sinproder in a deck, try going for a more tempo or agro list. I could see him being good in a mardu bleed style deck.

Also as a side suggestion, if you are trying to run a control deck, what few creatures you run need to provide you with value or tempo, or you have to cut them.
Sinproder is a really cool draw engine, but if you tap out for it on turn 3 it's very often going to get spot removed and thus you just ended up trading a card for a card.
Any creatures you run need to have meaningful entry/cast triggers or else they will be weak plays the turns you play them.

curving out to 4 is necessary, 5 is optimal. you have ample ways to discard excess lands for value

the black trial, add in blue so you can gearhulk shit back with a substantial body on the field.
counter everything you don't feel like straight up killing.

>Ixalan spoilers reveal pirates in grixis or dinosaurs in naya

Shit dudes, which do I try to build up to in preparation for rotation?

Most of the rares spoiled all seem rather too slow to be viable in constructed. I honestly think it will have a very low impact if the rest of the rares aren't stronger.
So neither.

I noticed that as well, especially with the dinosaurs, but I think it's just because wotc wants a slower format all around, don't they? I'm surprised it's attempting a grixis aggro thing with the pirates.

>Neheb the Eternal
>Chandra, Torch of Defiance
>Vessel of Volatility
I'm not going to pretend it's good, but I want to try building some form of Red-heavy ramp/beatdown using those cards, particularly Neheb.

Anybody brewing along these lines yet?

>>tfw never able to go to Friday night magic
Holy shit I haven't played this game in like four years, bought a premade Ajani deck Tuesday
I like the new artwork, and the new card formats too

4x Cruel Reality
4x Accursed Witch
4x Creeping Dread
4x Bontu's Last Reckoning
4x Collective Brutality

Naya dinosaurs aztecs, grixis treasure planet pirates, orzhov catholic vampires, and last but not least simic atlantis merfolk. What a fucking set

I'm drafting with friends tomorrow but haven't followed anything Amonkhet related, what are some good cards/strategies to keep an eye out for?

sin prodder is pretty bad, especially in a control deck trying to hit all their land drops

main deck manglehorns?

red blue white aggro. draft every 1 drop creature you can in those colors, along with bomb 2 drops (gust walker) and cheap cartouches (auras that give +1/+1 and have an comes into play effect). the 1 mana equipment is also ok. slitherblade is the best creature for the deck (1 mana 1/2 unblockable) but no one takes them so they always come back, take something else and wait for them to come back to you.

or just draft white/black zombies or something

It's probably not the full rare sheet. There is bound to be a few decent lower CMC rares.

BW zombies are really good and really easy to find decent pieces. The zombies with passive effects, Binding Zombie and Wandering Servant, are by far the strongest.
Other zombies worth getting:
Festering mummy, Doomed Traveler, Sacred Cat, any other low drop embalm creature
Just strong WB cards in general:
the 5 mana black exile spell, the not-pacifism, Impeccable timing, White or black Cartouche or Trial, The 4/5 demon that moves counters to other dudes when he dies, Tahm-Crop Capetian, Start to Finish,

to be fair W/B zombies are only played because of an uncommon 2 drop and uncommon lord of the accursed.
zombies didn't top shit until amonkhet and there's one rare zombie in the entire set that's touched

if you want sin prodder you are just better served playing glint sleeved siphoner

you already hake heavy use of energy between Glimmer and Harnessed so bad bob drawing cards every turn is pretty likely
the menace is rarely relevant and costing 3 mana is just bad for control when the only turn they really ever want to be tapping out early is 2 for some kind of value creature
3 you want to have a counterspell up

Sin Prodder is one of my favorite cards of all time but after spending quite a many hours trying to force him to work I can conclude that the card is just bad tireless tracker and isn't really ever worth the spot
the closest I ever got was Jund Delirium back when Emrakul was still legal and even then he was inferior to just something like vessel of nascency

Honestly, the devils in Innistrad really were disapointing.
Sinprodder and Bedlam were both really cool, but neither could really do well enough to justify playing them. I kind of wish they tried for a devil version of pic related with some kind of shadows mechanic to make it fit better. Maybe slap on a madness cost for it? Or maybe with Delirium you get to cast the picked card twice.

honestly I just wish sinprodder had switched effects with Goblin Dark Dwellers

give him no flash flashback for 3 mana on a 3/2 body with menace
then he would be the control card the format needed

see a gust walker pick a gust walker

just force draft white red and you will win easily

Darkdwellers really wouldn't fit thematically with the effect is the issue. I think the problem is just punisher effects will always be bad sadly.
Other interesting change: Make sin prodder ping/shock whenever you madness something.

>main deck manglehorns?
yeah sure why not? fuck heart of kiran.

if they're bad g1 they go straight into the noose constrictor anyhow.

> FNM
> draft black removal, blue fliers, and cycling
> get btfo by fucking hexproof 6/7 crocodiles

just fuck my night up

RG Monsters is stronger. But Mono Red is way faster.
Your deck runs 4x one Drops. I'm running 12x.
You're playing with 4x Haste creatures, I'm running 11x.
Bomat Courier and Cathartic Reunion helps me get that last push to remove the last life points my opponents are holding onto.

Is Gifted Aetherborn a good card? To me it looks amazing, but then again, I'm really bad at magic.

it's pretty good. in draft, it is great in draft, and it is the reason mono-black vampires were even attempted

List?

Yea it's a shame about Sin Prodder. Draw//Go seems to be the better variant of control deck right now which sucks because I prefer Tapout.

I'll just have to find something else to play

It's a great card, well suited to just about any deck that can afford to cast it.

Thing is its been overshadowed by Relentless Dead due to zombie tribal. It's a pretty solid card at any stage of the game though.

Innistrad 2.0 just kind of sucked in general, the only playable creatures/deck archetypes were WG humans/angels

Werewolves, Zombies and Vampires got heavily shafted

This honestly feels like a very strong card that a lot of people are just passing up on, especially with how many creatures get you some kind of value on entry, which makes sacking them a lot less punishing. This thing just eats so much tempo and answer just about any threat.
It also works really well with spell queller by letting you bounce their 4 drop then quell it.

The biggest thing this has against it is being outside the sweet-spot of emerge 7 that allows you to cast it on T4 without ramp like Deep Fiend and Mindbender.

Oh nevermind I glossed over it too quickly. Solid card, but a shame it lacks flash or evasion

No flash is a big downside, but I think it would need to be a rare at that point. Another weak sign is it dies to Grasp sadly. At least it dodges fatal push.

I feel like Mardu -1/-1 counters is going to be a great deck come Hour, looking forward to building it

Maybe in EDH. It's clearly a group EDH card.

Pretty new to MtG and I'm about to go to my first draft later at my local card shop any tips to prepare?

>don't even own my first legit deck yet outside premade structure rival decks elsbeth and kiora

Sleeve your draft deck

Remember BREAD

Bombs: Cards that wins you games,
Removal:Cards that gets rid of opponents stuff, (destroy, exile, etc)
Evasion: Cards that get over opponents creatures, (fliers, menace, etc)
Attackers: Efficient attackers
Draw: Cards that gives you more cards to your hand

This is your list of priorities on what to pick in a draft, if you haven't specialized a strategy

You should also have 13-18 creatures and 22-24 lands

Remember your B.R.E.A.D.
Bomb
Removal
Evasion
Aggro
Draw/dud

In order of highest to lowest priority.

>Basic guide lines for draft
REMOVAL REMOVAL REMOVAL
This is the biggest thing that decides if you are going to have a constantly good deck. At the start of each pack, your goal should be to get the strongest removal spells for your color, until you have roughly 10 or so. Good removal spells answer a lot of things:
Cast out, Compulsory rest, Impeccable Timing, cartouche of Strength or Ambition, Trail of Ambition or Zeal, and Final Reward.
Bad removal spells:
Bounce spells, temporary tap spells, effects that only deal 2 damage

A lot of creatures in this set have big butts, or come back from the yard, so exile effects are very important.

STICK TO 2 COLORS, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ABANDON ONE
This set has a lot of fixing, but unless you are in green you'll still lose a game or 2 due to color screw if you go 3 colors. If you are seeing a lot of good cards in a color, and 1 of your colors are weak, and it's early in the packs, it's fine to drop that color and dive into the new one.

I might want to point out it's conspiracy draft as well if that has any difference

essentialmagic.com/em2/Doc.aspx?hdocid=239

Here's a good article about BREAD, as others have mentioned it's a good base.

Become somewhat familiar with the mechanics of the set and the synergy so you're not stuck figuring everything out during the draft

Don't have high expectations, you probably won't do well in your first draft, focus on why you lost, don't be afraid to ask other players for constructive criticism on where you misplayed after the games.

Pick up some exhibition games with other drafters between rounds if there's time.

You are getting 45 cards, you'll only wind up playing 22-24 of them, don't feel like you're pigeon holed into specific colors early on just because you have a good rare/mythic on that color.

Focus on drafting the best cards early, regardless of color, by halfway through the second pack you should find yourself with an emerging identity, then you can focus specifically on the 2 colors you're doing best in.

Planning on maintaining a Grixis Control for as long as possible.

oh. Conspiracy draft is completely different.
DO NOT DRAFT AGRO
DO NOT PLAY THREATS UNTIL EVERYONE IS LOW ON CARDS
CONSPIRACY IS SUPER SLOW, BUILD CONTROL AND JUST LET THINGS TAKE IT'S TIME
CARD DRAW IS BAD, YOU WILL MILL YOURSELF
HIGH VALUE PICKS > ANYTHING ELSE

>LGS
Lots of UW flash and UR control, some delirium and kiddos playing aggro as well. Only 1 guy is running an energy deck which is weird since it feels so strong.
>PLAYING
Homebrew esper control
>HOU
Solemnity for sure looks good, hoping for more cards that i can use for prison type stuff (4 gideons intervention + 4 of a similar card would be plenty, or maybe an enchant that stalls the board)

>CARD DRAW IS BAD, YOU WILL MILL YOURSELF
THISTHISTHIS
Conspiracy decks could be 45 cards and be better than 40 cards

Don't draft conspiracy until you're familiar with the game.

Being new means it's challenging enough to keep track of 2 player's stuff. Trying to track 4 might be over your head

I think I'm ready to try this bad boy out

What is the nigger deck?

what do you have in mind?

Mardu -1/-1 counters, Grind //Dust convinced me the deck could be real. Let me draw up a quick beta list of what it could look like

What burn cards are you planning on using?
I'm thinking of making a -1/-1 counters deck, but Jund instead of mardu.
I'm considering shock and magma spray

So far i've got 3-4 Collective Defiance and 2 Abrade.

Other red cards i'm looking at are
Cut // Ribbons
Blazing Volley (Kind of janky, but paired with Dust it's a once sided exile boardwipe)
Galvanic Bombardment
Abrade is absolutely mainboard material in a Torrential Gearhulk meta

Also Glorybringer mainboard. And as Jund i'd consider taking a look at Arlinn Kord

Please rate my HOU tempo meme deck. What are my worst matchups?

4x Archangel Avacyn
3x Blessed Alliance
2x Cast Out
2x Censor
4x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3x Irrigated Farmland
6x Island
3x Negate
4x Nimble Obstructionist
7x Plains
4x Port Town
4x Prairie Stream
4x Selfless Spirit
4x Spell Queller
2x Supreme Will
4x Thraben Inspector

Sideboard
2x Aethersphere Harvester
2x Declaration in Stone
1x Descend upon the Sinful
2x Dusk / Dawn
2x Gideon's Defeat
2x Jace's Defeat
2x Kefnet the Mindful
2x Solemnity

I hadn't seen Abrade yet, will definetely use it
I plan on running Scorpion God.

This is what I'm brewing rn
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-06-17-jund-counters

>RTR standard
Every Standard since then has been successively worse. However, this Standard has been a particular clusterfuck, so it can only go up from here.

>Supreme Will
>No Dissalow
I'll then allow myself to not awnser you.

I would kill to play in RTR Standard. I'm a huge Vorthosfag for the Boros Legion, and I love the Aristocrats deck. Sounds like heaven to me.

I would play this in my black ramp deck and dump 56 mana into it and cause everyone to hate me.

Amonkhet block constructed

I came to this board for opinions on new cards.

This comment, this early in the thread, makes me want to leave.

Veeky Forums is shit, don't bother.
The longer you stay here, the more you realize that no one plays the games they talk about. It's all just an elaborate lie, like the golden rule says.

It's all a work of fiction.

Supreme Will is a better tempo card.

Get out kiddo

Bump

Christ what horrid art

The technical parts are nice, but the pose is just ___funny___

Yeah, fair enough.

It's a pretty good two drop in any black deck that isn't zombies. Doesn't die to magma spray is huge and it often trades up