What if wizards inhabited grottoes instead of towers?

What if wizards inhabited grottoes instead of towers?

Then we'd call them wizard grottos and they would live there.

So, a warlock?

It's far too humid there to store the average arcane tome safely.

Couldn't you cover the books with salt crystals?

Some wizards do. If there's one thing we know about wizards, it's that they like a view. Whether that's looking out of the top of a tower, looking upon a majestic grotto, or surveying an arcane dimension, matters less.

All the better to consort with Drow am I right?

>What if wizards had good taste?
Grottoes are dope.

Because covering occult writings and scriptures was
>EVER
>EVER
>EVER
a good idea.

Fukken half-fae, half-elf wizards

Geomancers and wise old hermits have already claimed them. That's why wizards live in towers. Cave envy.

Actually a pretty good point. Also couldn't study the stars or planets, collect surface herbs easily, and expansion would be harder since while you can usually conjure walls you can't just removed large amount of stone without dealing with rubble and dust.
Not to mention your only source of lighting would be glowing plants, artificial, and magical sources.

>Not having magically grown crystal veins that pipe down sunlight from the surface

What if wizards were forbidden from stepping foot on dry land under penalty of death and lived in elaborate house-boats?

>Be me, a wizard
>Some petty fucking warlocks cursed me so that I can never set foot on dry land or my entire body will wither like a mummy.
>I'll show them
>I won't have a houseboat, i'll have a fucking floating orbital magical artillery emplacement.
>I'll make it out of ice, and live in the arctic with penguins. I fucking love penguins.
>I'll shape it like a dick, cause fuck those warlocks.
And thus, Boromos the Dick-wizard became the scourge of the world.

I don't know why this was so funny to me

Man that sounds cool as heck

Hermits and Druids live in caves.

The only wizards that live in caves are insane assholes who think its fun to turn a Pech into a Hook Horror and shit like that

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a grotto hidden away if theres a fucking crystal stuck out the ground pointing straight at you.

Maybe if you're trying to hide and not be baller as fuck.

>forbidden from stepping foot on dry land
>walk on wet land instead
>walk on dry land but with shoes

They're wizards tough. They could use concrete or something.

Granted, if I was some bigwig wizard I'd probably have a palace like anyone else to impress the chicks, stroll into my gardens and be a somehow normal bigwig with perhaps some more secure laboratories or a an astronomical observatory or two.
I don't get this idea of the towers, unless you're somehow medium-low level and need desperately a tower for... I dunno, star observations? What are those for, anyway?

>I don't even think druids really give a fuck either. I mean, they probably are more laid back, but if they're innawoods there's no reason to have at least a decent house. Probably a druid has a slightly different idea for an house but I don't think they ALL prefer to sleep under the stars

And then it never, ever stopped raining again.

They'd get murderfucked by dwarves for intruding in a sacred area.

>just spraying water like in Ponyo

>wizards travel the lands on magical slip-n-slides

Why not a giant stalactite overhanging an abyss? You could make friends with paragliding gugs and throwing bitchin' parties!

t. Drow Bloatwitch

Two words. Floating airship

Then we'd call those the dungeo- oh wait

I like my wizards to live in pocket spaces.
Doors that lead nowhere and are just useless frames without the right key.
Tiny shacks that you enter, then keep opening up more and more rooms until it becomes clear that inside it's bigger than a city at least, or perhaps without end.
And of course, grand manor houses bustling with activity and arcane noises and flashes but inside there's just a small house and modest study and not enough chairs for the whole party, the exterior is just to keep up appearances.

Howl knew what he was doing with his Moving Castle. Best wizard role model.

>Not having a basement grotto in your tower
>being a wizard and being poor
ISHYGDDT

Perhaps that just means Wizards in this setting operate in a different way? Maybe spells are stored and written on stone tablets in order to prevent water damage, and their studies are related to using crystals, or using the water as a large pool for divining secrets? Maybe they just need a really consistent supply of water to mix potions efficiently

>this guy gets it

I'm imaging the fantasy equivalent of that episode of Futurama where Fry moves in with bender but with a wizard and his apprentice
>t-this shack is your home master?
>Of course my student, it is obscured from the busy city so that I may perform my work in privacy
>But it's barely larger than a cottage. Are we to sleep within grasping distance of the alchemy table?
>why would we work or sleep in the closet?
>Opens the back door from the inside to reveal a hallway stretching into the horizon

I imagine tower wizards think of grotto wizards the same way normies think of basement dwellers

>Not having a grotto at the base of your tower.

Wait, so wizards aren't class as fuck anymore? Fucking plebians.

just make shoes out of buckets full of water

Witches

Lol fat drow

I guess I'd just have to deal.

>And then it never, ever stopped raining again.
Also this.

They'd better not to be The Dark Eye wizards, or they just shafted themselves (even more than The Dark Eye already shafts wizards).

Living in a tower is the fantasy equivalent of living in a missile silo or old military bunker.

Orthodox jews forbidden from traveling during sabbath literally do it on the logic that it doesnt apply to traveling across water.

I thought about druids too, and I think they might inhabit small inset caves, like Gedyneith in Witcher 3, but not cloistered in deep subterranean caves. They like to go out and collect herbs, and dry them for use, and caves are super wet. Dry them by the fire, maybe, but then they wouldn't keep well in the wet dark cave.