Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?

Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?

Yes

Even most of the evil and neutral gods would agree, given you're wiping out their followers

Sounds like a BBEG endgoal.

Yes, Griffith.

>Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of humanity to become a god?

It's evil to even sacrifice 1 HUMAN to become a god.

Would you be able to use your god powers to bring everyone back to life afterward?

In that case, it would only be an evil act if you had to kill the preexisting god first.

>Killing people to benefit yourself
It's evil
>Humanity would be completely extinct if you didn't do this
It's good
>Humanity would continue on as it was but you chose to become a god to benefit humanity
Morally grey.

Yeeeeah, but sacrificing 99% of humanity is 8 billion times more evil! Come on.

No. Because then you can bring them back.

No, of course not.

When you become a god, you decide the law - better yet, you're above the law. Who gives a shit?

depends on what you're a god of i think.

if you're a god of tasty cupcakes it might be a little weird

Ow, the edge

Of course it's evil. It's murder of a ridiculous scale.
The question is, is the 99% of humanity willing to be sacrificed?

There is no such things as "evil" or "god".

What if you can bring them back after you become a god?

Maybe 'sacrifice' doesn't mean 'kill' in this context. It's like sacrifice a single nose hair from every person or something.

*tips fedora*

Irrelevant. The sacrifices involved still need to be willing.
Because when the god in question resurrects the sacrificed, the sacrificed will hate the god for forcefully sacrificing them.

Is it evil to sacrifice 99% of my followers to become a god?

Yes. Ignoring the will of other sentient beings to their detriment and your benefit is what most humans (outside of an argument) would call evil.

If Gods could do this willy nilly they would probably do it more often. And this begs the question on weather or not a god has limits.

There is a reason this is the end plan of tons of anime villains. It is fundamentally evil to many worldviews and most sane people (more so in the east due to cultural obsession with self sacrifice). It basically amounts to mass subjugation for personal gain.

Came here to post this. Griffith did nothing wrong.

How is that edgy?

used to be you sorry bastards wouldn't even show up to bait. I blame the new anime

if you sacrifice them then immediately bring them back using your god powers with no permanent harm is it still evil

i mean that seems like a pareto optimization rly

Yes, but they would be alive.

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

Only if you don't count betraying his comrades, raping Casca, and tearing a hole in reality which apparently has caused a lot of bad shit in the past all for personal gain. He might have been unable to avoid his fate, which would actually be a decent argument in favor of him not doing anything wrong (though I feel there's still plenty of holes there)

>I blame the new anime
>Implying anybody watches the new anime

Absolutely disgusting.

They were already alive. Committing evil and restoring it only poorly justifies the evil deed, it does not do something "good" for it was already the situation's natural state before the evil deed was done.

There's no shortage of bad scenes in the new Berserk anime, but that one in particular really stood out. The way he's moving made it look like Sealab or Aquateen Hunger Force or some shit

Okay.

>Has a pretty good life, respected amongst the noblility, adoration of the king, the nobles who DON'T respect him, he has murdered
>His bara boipussy decides he's had enough of his shit and bails
>He fucks the princess as rebound because he can't come to terms with hot gay for Guts he is

Could've easily escaped his fate, one of the big themes of Berserk is that while people who rely on fate talk a big game, people with enough willpower and determination can tell it to go fuck itself

I'm glad we came to an understanding.

Couple problems or ideas. Depends on if evil is based on inflicting suffering or not. If it is, then its probably evil, even if they come back. If you can make them sacrifice without suffering and have them come back, is it a sacrifice? What are they losing or giving up at that point? In a perfect hypothetical, is you taking away their will or agency for a limited time enough to be evil?

Time for someone to define Evil.

Crazy 88s.

It's nice to have friends.

Is it evil to temporarily inconvenience 99% of humanity to become a god?

Subjective to the situation, as the criminal is always different, no matter the crime.

>53987489
>getting my soul sucked out and placed in the netherrealm where time may or may not function differently is a minor inconvenience

You got it back, didn't you?

It's too mean-spirited to be good, and it's too inconsequential to be evil. Chaotic Neutral?

>Destroys all coasters to become a god
Well?

Griffits problem was pride, he never did things for the sake of others and always for the adoration of himself, friends, status and the princess.

Shit the only reason he didn't fuck the princess to begin with was that his pride forbid him, but then guts, dealing with his own problems and turbo autism, shattered the fuck out of that.

Eh, more morally gray. I mean, you are still killing all those people but you bring them back, you may not actually be the best candidate for godhood either.

Generally its okay to kill you, just keep it painless.

Eh, there's still like 70 000 000 people left, it's a net win for everyone who survives really, not to mention the environmental benefits.

Cool, so if its all subjectivity, how do you determine criminality?

So inflicting pain is Evil. Why that? Why is a lack of pain but still death okay?

Evil is the end result here. Why? Who/how is the end result determined?

*Morality is the end result here. Why?

What if you use your power to turn back time so that nobody dies?

You determine criminality on the severity of the crime. The more severe, the more criminal.
Stealing bread = Bad. Stealing bread from starving people = Evil.

Okay, so is OP's godling committing evil? Who determines the severity of criminality for gods? Does evil require punishment? If you inflict evil while punishing what happens then?

I never used them anyway.

Sort of? The OP hasn't said if the sacrifices wee willing or not. A god of justice. Punishment would imply the crime is repaid, so the criminal needs to have his stolen bread re-stolen, or pay for the bread, or give back a new loaf of bread. Infliction of evil while punishing evil in turn leads to being punished fairly.

*were

Cool, so equity focused 1:1. Who does the math if its all subjective? An urGod?

An empathetic neutral god of fairness.

>An ancient neutral clocks into his 9 to 5 shift

Works for me, would cosmology with. Structuralist but that's okay. Brings up other weird questions about determinism though. Like how does will, error and the like factor into these cosmic calculations of Good and Evil? Is it a individuated independent equation for each moment or some sort of series? Is it Good that the neutral god fulfils its role? If it doesn't do we lose our ability to determine Good and Evil? Or is it just a sorting system for souls? Is punishment a thing done in life or after life?

Death is a finality, there is no bad done after that. Pain is unnecessary and wrong, everyone suffers so we should avoid causing more than needed.

Why is pain unnecessary and wrong?

Determinism is entirely unpredictable as anyone can commit good acts and bad acts, so each and every single moment for every and any individual capable of such acts cannot be judged by anyone with prejudices because it might corrupt justice.
A good god must not look down on anyone, neither must an evil god drag someone down, so a neutral god understands what it's like to be still and can judge fairly.
An unfair punishment in life must be rectified in the afterlife, or else the criminal is unfairly justified.
I suppose reincarnation wouldn't be out of the question if the criminal failed to rectify their crime before they died, the criminal would have to commit the crime near the time of their death though.

What if I sacrifice myself?

>statute of limitations on reincarnation
neat

So the god of Justice sorts the souls based on how commensurate their actions were in life, and then reincarnates them or passes them to the afterlife, etc. How does that mesh up with/how aware of the equations are mortals?

Depends if your DM would allow that sort of time contradiction.

I guess if your character went into it with the intent of saving everyone that was sacrificed and then being a fair god, the action would be kinda chaotic good, if you attain godhood wasn't just a grab for power. Other wise it's neutral evil to go back and save everyone.

Sacrifices have to be of a thing you can't get back otherwise its just an inconvenience.

Mortals remain ignorant of genuine gods of morality because it would pervert justice.
To test a person, you test them. Not their moral code.

What if you sacrificed a race that aligns with evil instead of humans?

Isn't this the plot to Evangelion?

How'd it work for Jesus then?

it's not evil if you get your worshippers to sing gregorian style chants of crawling in my skin

>become a god, you decide the law
No, the god of law does and you don't become a god of laws by sacrificing people. You need to enact legislation to build a bureaucratic sarcophogus to bury yourself in while still filing in triplicate for 30 days and nights at least.

Depends on who you can save user.

Depends on who you can save. if you save the blond haired, blue eyed to make a new glorious race of the norse/germanics..

Than it's alright.

If your saving kikedom and a few (like fifty) thousand slaves (africans or arabs); get fucked.

What is evil? Not as an ajective, but as a noun?

Oh mans. Father, Son aaaand the Holy Spirit is a thing that I'm not very good at, but I'm under the impression the way they swing that is that Jesus dies, sacrificed by his dad (who he also is), but God doesn't die, just his son who he gives up/gives himself up. What happens in revelations is sketchy though, because I'm not sure if that's suppose to he him literally coming back or coming back different.

Well thats easy to answer. Go stick your hand in boiling water or something else EXTREMELY painful, then think if that happened to someone else. You wouldn't want neither you or them to feel that would you?

Ascendance can be averted, and then you'll just have a lot of dead people with no power to revive them.

Or maybe you're not as powerful as you think. Say, you can only revive the last 20 minutes worth of sacrifices.

Secret tests with unclear objectives and obscure results. Okay, so divine ineffable law. I like it. Would be a fun God to have in a game. Also brings up interesting conflict of various other gods trying to rig the game, influence and bribe, etc.

>You wouldn't want them to feel that would you?

But honestly, I don't care.

So your basing evil off aversion and attraction?

Which is why masochistic cults are only evil when they start dragging other people into their weird ritual

What is it if a group is attracted to killing another who is adverse to being killed? It seems like at that point consent is where it switches from good to evil?

>sacrifice 99% of humanity
>become god
>magic humanity back
>but now with no war, disease, poverty etc

but dude INNOCENTS lmao

Evil is what humans call evil. Ergo, you're not evil if there is no one left to call you evil.

Just because something is evil doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Pretending you've done no wrong is lame though.

Betray your friends to become a god or live the rest of your life as a cripple and never achieve your dreams.

Choosing the first makes you evil. Choosing the second makes you a foolish cuck who should've never been born because you lack the drive to ever make anything of yourself, a born loser who thinks their worthlessness is a virtue, a slave with delusions of freedom.

GRIFFITH!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, Lorgar, is it?

Straight up, I consider creating a "fair" universe with no suffering or conflict to be the greatest evil it is possible to commit.

That sounds like a calculated risk but is your character any good at math?

Hey, Mr. "Lord of Ultramar," I have a question...and I've been waiting a long time to ask it.

How's Calth?

>implying humans aren't aligned with evil

Depends, what does "god" mean? Because if you become omnipotent then oh look 99% of humanity isn't dead anymore.

Is it evil to murder an unborn child to save yourself a hassle?

Well it was that or let it live a life of poverty and misery until it dies of starvation, so that kid aint surviving this world anyway unless it goes full tarzan and claws its way out in the world.

So you're doing it a favor by murdering it, I see. How noble of you.

Yes. Also, retarded. Whois going to worship you if 99% of the planet's dead? The 1% you left over? Using Earth as an example, we've got roughly 7 Billion people, 1% of which is 70,000, which is sizeabke but also fucking pathetic compared to the following numbers of other gods, and that's assuming you got all 100% of that remaining 1% to follow and worship you. In fantasy settings where the populations on average are probably no where near 7 billion (depends on the setting I guess), that 1% is going to be even more laughably small.

tl;dr: it's evil but also ticking stupid, but hey, who said anything about being smart?

>did you type that all using a phone user?

Sure tucking did