What are the standard fantasy races like in your setting?

What are the standard fantasy races like in your setting?

Dragonborn: Spawn of Bahamut who crashed into the moon while on his way to fuck up Tiamat who lives at the planet's core. Dragonborn eggs just kind of fall from space every now and then.
Dwarf: Used to be Tolkien Dwarves, but they dug too deep and unleashed the Dragonpocalypse. Now they're nomad merchants.
Elf: Fey Humans. Super adaptable to any environment allowing for a shitton of sub-races. Blue Sea-Elves, Green Forest Elves, Poison resistant Swamp-Elves, etc.
Gnome: Fey Dwarves. Hate Kobolds which are pretty much just dragon-corrupted gnomes.
Halfling: Basically Kithkin. Branched off from Humanity.
Half-Elf: A bunch of them started their own nation and are kind of like fascist Hylians.
Half-Orc: Tieflings got demons to breed with goblins and make Orcs to serve as soldiers for their civil war. Orcs fucked Humans.
Human: Assholes.
Tiefling: Diabolist Romans (used to be Human) whose Atlantis-like home got destroyed by civil war. Now they're pirates.

Bonus Races
Warforged: CHAPPiE. Left over AI from before Tiamat crashed into the planet and destroyed society.

>Dragonborn
Not really a thing. Closest example would be Dreamer cultists who turn into dragon mutants by worshiping the ancient sleeping dragons

>Dwarf
Two kinds. The dwarves most people know are super social, community oriented craftsmen and laborers who've ingratiated themselves quite strongly into human culture over the past few hundred years since they 'decided' to come out of the mountains to comingle. The true dwarves, however, are basically ancient golem-robot type deals that maintain the natural processes of the earth/nature/etc, and created the other, fleshy dwarves to get the humans and other surface races to help, and to stop ruining everything

>Elf
Leftovers from a Fae invasion. Modern elves are descended from the mindless puppets and beasts of burden of the Gentry, and are still super alien in mind and to a lesser extent in body. Have weird narrative fae powers and maybe can't die, but are bound by their roles and are possibly nonsentient

>Gnome and Halfling
Don't have em. Pretty much useless IMHO

>Half Elf
Ravaged, people from other races taken by the Fae/Elves and fed on. Crazy as fuck and half-dead, but more tied into reality so their fae powers pack much more of a punch

>Orc
Ur-Gods first crack at making mortal servants. Turned out too wild and freedom loving to really work, but still vigorously worship the Titans anyways. Most look like scary demon boar men due to their primary creator being a giant cosmic boar, but clans that devote themselves to one of the other Titans change forms. Beloved by most of the lesser gods due to being their "little Brothers"

Cont.

How do you people come up with this inane, not to mention unneeded shit? All just to say "it's my homebrew!" But really it's Forgotten Realms but 10times shittier.

>Human
Self proclaimed chosen race and children of the Sun. Had an empire ruled by Exalted style supermen, but it collapsed due to infighting+fey invasion. Super goddamn arrogant and have a lot of leftover clout with the spirit world, and have shit tons of spiritual potential. Also have a metric fuck ton of subraces, such as
>Celestine
Basically bodhisatvas on the cusp of becoming angels after many lifetimes of virtiousness. Sent back to earth to be born into hardship with none of their past memories and a taste of their future angelic power to see if they're still good people.
>Wargr
Basically humans who can project their souls into animals. The animals get human level intelligence and the Warg gets animal gifts and traits in exchange. Generally live isolated and viewed as pagans by other humans
>Dragr
Wargs who died and came back wrong, basically turned into living portals to the underworld. Can reanimate the dead by pumping restless souls into them, but the universe hates them and they slowly kill everything around them
>Khamsin
Humans blessed by a small god to be their avatar. Have immense spirit powers but are physically crippled

>Tiefling
The Damned. People who were exposed to demonic miasma during an earthquake/while mining/etc, and are slowly gestating/turning into demons. Basically have a terminal illness that gives them superpowers. The ones who don't immediately succumb to despair and turn tend to use what time they have left to do some good, or just use their newfound power to have a good time while there's a good time to have.

>Goblin
Sneaky little pseudo-fae who live in the walls of the world. Obsessed with power dynamics and deals, and come from a world where everything is contract based. Most ones in the mortal world are huge losers who haven't managed t get enough dosh to stay in The Market. Really good at tricking people and illusions, and can spawn tiny, shitty copies of themselves called grots to serve them

Faggot

For me, personally, it's this:
I don't have any interest in learning FR, or any other setting's lore, but I do appreciate the familiar archetypes. I make my own lore based on the same general idea so whatever I say isn't wrong or contradicting with an established setting elements.

Elf: Two kinds, Dawn and Dusk. Dawn elves are golden/copper skinned. Lofty, superior, extremely intellectual and analytical. Dusk elves are grey/black skinned. Social, playful, more identifiable for other races.

Dwarf/Halfling/Gnome: None. Never was.

Orc: Powerful build, broad and strong. Skin tones ranging from stone grey to mossy green. Athletic builds, small tusks and protruding jaws, but not unattractive. History of warlike violence in the past, but mostly just old prejudices exist and the live alongside other races.

Are those the only two races in the world? Are there humans too?

Yes, humans are just humans, no excitement there. Considered short lived by elves, and grudgingly accepted by Orcs following a major war a generation back that humans won.

Giants, known as Earthkin, are extinct, but they did exist.

There are also Lizardmen, a culture still in the barbarism stage. Communicate and trade with the other races but just as often kill them as interlopers or heathens.

Dragonborn: don't exist.
Dwarf: either russians with bardiches and muskets growing dark crops and harvesting ice, both common and eternal; or greeks whose clans live in petropolises, half over and half under the ground, and define "honor" as fulffilling oaths, the more the more honored.
Elf: fey self-exiles with corporeal shape, come in the high+wild, dark-not-drown and each-desert-tribe-has-a-unique-color varieties.
Gnome: don't exist.
Halfling: they exist but don't have any solid fluff besides escaping an undead apocalypse in the northern continent.
Half-Elf: don't exist
Half-Orc: don't exist. Orcs are somewhat different and not a playable race.
Human: the most numerous and diverse race. While each race has a solid racial foundation to lean on, humans are weird in that they ask themselves "what's like to be human? What's a human?". This makes them branch out in so many cultures.
Tiefling: I have half-demons, but, well, due to being half-demons they look more like thin, tall aliens than "people with horns and tail".
Hobgblins and goblins are races. The hobgoblins are basically celtiberian orsimers with composite bows and dinosaurs.

In my case, never enjoyed FG, don't even know much about it.

Then finally the race of my protagonist, Nadyr. Snakelike humanoid, rare, most people never seen one in person. Lots of stories and myths about them, lots of fear regarding them as rumour has it they're psychic.

>dragonborn
>standard

In 4e and 5e they are, nerd.

>Dragonborn
Feudal lords that are actually the result of draconic apotheosis out of a kingdom of humans; Bushido+Chivalry with society focused on respect of the Five Draconic Virtues and elimination of the Five Draconic Vices.
>Dwarf
Former slaves of the Titans who rebelled when the world was still young. Mountain Dwarves are xenophobic jew dwarves who rarely leave their mountains due to acting as wardens keeping the primordials bound in prisons deep beneath the earth. Hill Dwarves are Scotch-Irish traders and trappers who act as intercessors between their kin and the outside world.
>Elves/Goblins/Orcs
Native inhabitants of the New World, they're all descendants of an ancient fey race. Long ears, immortal bodies but mortal minds, with powerful figures often loses themselves to some story or idea once their minds crack from the burden of centuries upon centuries and turn into eldritch monsters that warp the landscape and Natives to tell their Fable.
>Halflings
Assumed to be kin to Hill Dwarves. Free-wheeling wanderers and traders, live in a swampy region and are renowned for their ability to pilot riverboats and lack of fear.
>Half-Elves/Goblins/Orcs
Half-Indians.
>Humans
Various nations, some of whom are the descendants of an ancient empire while others are the remains of rivals.
>Tiefling
Not really existent in modern times, but were the first human empire which suffered a great tragedy when their island metropolis sank below the waves. Their colonies ended up developing independently in the wake of their collapse.
>Warforged
Peacemakers, excuse me. Recently created artificial soldiers first fielded in the Not-Civil-War two decades ago. Now also beginning to hit the work-force with automation leading to increased joblessness among the lower class of the magocracy that created them.

As far as relevant races, play focuses on the West where you are almost entirely focused on humans and Natives, with Peacemakers, Dwarves, and Haflings sprinkled in.

What are the Draconic virtues and vices?

How do you faggots come up with this inane, not to mention unneeded shitposting? All just to say "I'm a clever little asshole!" But really it's /b/-lite but 10times shittier.

A bit of a mix of Catholic and Buddhist ideals, and they're seen in-world as the Five Heads of Bahamut and the Five Heads of Tiamat. You accept that you possess each, rather than simply ignoring your vices. Ignorance must be battled as much as Loyalty must be obeyed.

>Brass
Righteousness: The power of deciding upon a certain course of conduct in accordance with reason, without wavering; to die when it is right to die, to strike when it is right to strike.
>Bronze
Forbearance: Calmness of behavior, composure of mind, one should not be disturbed by passion of any kind.
>Copper
Loyalty: Homage and fealty to a superior, as life is the means whereby to serve your master faithfully.
>Gold
Honor: Nobility of soul, magnanimity, and a scorn of cruelty.
>Silver
Benevolence: To rule over the nations and impose the ways of peace, to spare the subdued, and pull down the proud.

>Black
Ignorance. Buddhist ignorance, though. More akin to Avidya than stupidity. It's essentially being blind to the nature of reality and of existence. Each of the Five Draconic Vices are a poison which can easily feed into one another.
>Blue
Greed: A desire for more than you need, which can lead to hording and harming others to fulfill wasteful urges. Sloth, glutton, lust all pour into this Vice.
>Green
Envy: A poisonous state of thinking in which you desire wealth and honor for yourself but are unable to stand the excellence of your peers. You should take pleasure in the accomplishment of others, as all are on the journey towards illumination together.
>Red
Wrath: A dangerous vice, it can appear justified but it corrupts one's possibility of happiness. Put out the fire of wrath, or else you will burn yourself away.
>White
Pride: While Envy might poison your ability to celebrate the success of others, Pride simply ignores the presence of others, subsumes them as inconsequential. It is the love of one's self more so than the hatred of others, and it blinds more fully than cataracts.

>Dragonborn:
Made by the dragon in an effort to produce a mortal worthy of bearing his children. Failed horribly so it's just a bunch of horny lizards that do his bidding.

>Dwarf
Two kinds so far.
Ones who live on the peaks of mountains and forge armor and weapons with the power of lightning.
QT hole-spirits that are like little beard moles. You can summon them by putting alcohol outside of their hole.

>Elf
Beings who gained immortality and sparkledog tier celestial aesthetics by the blessing of a god from outer space.

>Humans
Divine creatures of the earth who were made from clay and mud so the world could experience life for itself. They are among the weakest races of the world, but make up for it with cleverness.

I really need to iron things out, most of this is just vague ideas.

I like your hole-spirit beard mole dwarfs, but isn't that just a gnome?

Oh hey I was wondering what I was gonna do with gnomes. Thanks m8

cheers

That's pretty cool. Does your Bahamut actually physically have five heads like Tiamat does?

Practically every standard race is related to Humans, as Humans were the first critters to be created by the Gods. They are made in the image of the Gods.

Elves are the newest race, and considered to be "the shells for souls perfected".

Only Humans and Elves are 100% known to be directly formed by the Gods in some way. And both can be massive assholes about it.

Dragonborn are humans who ate Dragon Eggs a long, long time ago.

Orcs and Dwarves are related, as many Dwarves have a very ugly, monstrous countenance.

Goblins are the dindus of the setting.

There's more, but before going on and on, I'd like to see if anyone warms to these ideas.

Go for it.

How did eating dragon eggs turn humans into dragonborn? If a human today were to eat one, would they turn? Is it an extended consumption thing?

Ah, see, Dragons were kind of like The Titans in my setting, so I mean...they're not around anymore, feel?

Ack, sorry, adding to this It was just a one-time thing. Conceivably, if a human did eat one today, they would turn into a Dragonborn, yes.

Ah, cool.
Some fucker wants to bring those dragons back, right? They figure out how to do it?

Nah. Not at this point in time. Currently the issue is that a Human Empire wound up worshipping a god into existence who thinks it's the First Emperor ascended to godhood.

I mean, it isn't. But That Empire, and The New God think it is. Kinda like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

As for Dragons Returning, eh, that's a tad too Dragonlance for me.

Oh god. Please tell me this is a book and you've not made some DMPC out of this. Even so, I can just tell they're a huge Mary Sue.

>Human
lives up to 500 years, strong, fast and intelligent. Result of improvings upon human's genome by imperial scinetists.
>Ancient Human
your "conventional" human. Extinct.
>Drakonid
result of the Void energy affecting a group of humans, improved strength and vitality. Dragon-like appearance.
>Tiefling
A passing stage between a human and a drakonid.
>dragon
human, fully exposed to the void for hundreds of years
>dwarf
mutated human. Shorter, but higher muscle mass. Darkvision.
>Orc
human mutated by the plantlife of the easter part of the planet's landmass. Increased body strength, reduced intelligence.
>catfolk
God's (human emperor turned actual full-power deity) pet-project
>elf
live up to 1k years, tall and have pointy ears, otherwise similar to ancient humans. In war with human empire in the stars.

Are you guys trolling? Is this bait? Are you making this shit up on the spot? Please fucking stop, for real.

Depends on which setting. I got two, and both are full of really non-standard races.

1st time on this board?

Thanks. And yup, Io was basically a fuckheug hydra-like monster during the creation of the world that was cut in half by a Titan during the wars that ordered the world. While not quite slain, the Ur Dragon was split in twain with one half being the metallic Bahamut and the other the chromatic Tiamat.

Dragons today are incredibly rare, with only a single of each of the ten truly being what 5E calls Ancient Dragons with only scant numbers of adults and young ones making up a vast majority of the admittedly tiny population of dragons on the sub-continent of Marifah. Those Ancients are something akin to bodhisattva in the cosmology and religious traditions of the dragonborn, living saints who epitomize their virtues or vices respectively. They are shards of Io, reflections of the Mother and Father, to be respected or pitied. Marifah's a pretty fun region as far as religion goes, with the dragonborn and their chivalry+bushido deal and desert nomads that worship elemental spirits and jinn.

I just really liked the idea of 3.5's Dragonborn even if it was handled a little... strangely. Tweaked it a little bit and made the ritual that transforms the military-nobility into a draconic form something akin to a knighting or a samurai's possession of a daisho. It's a religious act, but it is also a very political gesture. And dragonborn who slip into dark devotions to the Draconic Vices are a pretty easy parallel to ronin.

Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy Setting:
>Humans
Used to rule the world and believed in befriending everbody, until the dwarves and elves fought a magical world-war and blew it up. Now they're determined to rebuild, and aren't feeling so "brotherly".

>Dwarves
Responsible for blowing up the world, at least partially. Classic dwarves are a grim, revenge-obsessed, dying race. Being bred out of existence by their replacements; "forgeborn" dwarves, who've mutated into genasi-like elementals.

>Shadar-kai
Elves mutated by necrotic energy storms into needing constant emotional stimulation, or they fade away into nothing.

>Kobolds
Neotenous, mutated descendants of the long-extinct dragons. Desperate to find a way to mutate themselves back into dragons. Hermaphroditic.

>Fangwyrms
A kobold experiment gone wrong, creating kobold-kin with the attitude of a playful puppy, the mouth of a shark, and the gullet of a snake.

>Drakken
Dragonborn/Dray/Draconian expies, the result of kobold experiments.

>Orks
Descendants of captured elves the dwarves mutated and tried to use as slave-soldiers. Actually really nice people, but they won't ever be slaves again.

>Calibans
Hideously deformed mutant humans.

>Gnomes
Magitekky mutant elves or dwarves, nobody's sure which.

>Aranea
Used to be giant spiders kept as guardians by the elves. Evolved into humanoids who worship learning and magic.

>Warforged
Artificial soldiers created by humanity to try and stop the big war, before it blew the world to shit.

>Gnolls
Rising power of tribal humanoid hyenas.

>Rodushi
Ratfolk who evolved in the ruins of a library-city and so want to be the good guys who bring civilization and order back to the wasteland.

>Slyvharri
Fascist necromancy-practicing bunnyfolk created by mad elven lich-wraiths as a living weapon to conquer all other races.

80s Star-Fantasy Setting:
>Aelfar
Creepy, androgynous space elves with a culture built around flesh-crafting & necromancy.

>Traggen
Space orcs with some 40K Ork influences.

>Dworgs
Expies of the Scro; smarter, stronger, better-organized but less numerous space orcs.

>Kixians
Expies of the Xixchil, mantis-people with a knack for flesh-crafting and a cultural reverence of body-modding.

>Aurian Empire
One half Oriental Adventures in Space, one half spacefaring beastfolk collective. Kitsunes, tanuki, Chinese Dragonborn enforcers, Ki'rin-folk priests, etc.

>Lotusians
Peaceful, androgynous plant-people who are one of the oldest civilizations in the galaxy, though now they are but scattered remnants.

>Snapperjaws
Carnivorous plant people, degenerate relatives of the Lotusians.

>Quetzalii
Essentially the couatl equivalent to dragonborn, wandering space paladin feathered serpentfolk.

>Felinoids
Technoarcana-Barbarian Amazon Catgirls, born to alien cat-dragon "clan-mothers" and who believe the purpose of life is to entertain their demigod-like matriarchs.

>Scavvers
A quarian homage. Wandering technosorcerers renowned and respected for their skill at mekanomantic engineering.

>Voidstalkers
Four-armed, psionic assassins, loosely based on the Dark Templar Protoss.

>Humans
Found just about everywhere, prized as both diplomats and courtesans because they can breed with just about anything.

>Humans
The dominant species in the "main" segment of the Worldstream. Capable of using magic, but not naturally adept at it. They are uniquely capable of being "blessed" or "beloved" by spirits (like, a human "beloved by fire" will be extraordinarily talented at fire magic) and are the only creatures in the world with whom the spirit court makes multi-generational pacts.

>Various fey, monsters and supernatural races like elves and dwarves and stuff
Banished beyond the Storm Wall almost 4000 years ago and trapped in Terra Arcanum (with the exception of the pixies, who are basically invisible to most people anyway). Occasionally, some manage to slip through, either by riding an Aether Storm or by being summoned by some dingbat wizard. It's always a huge problem whenever they show up. They are by definition superhuman. An average elf spell-fencer could fight a hundred average human warriors to a standstill.

>Spirits and Dragons
Mostly also trapped in Terra Arcanum (aside from tiny sprites, which are ubiquitous but invisible to most people), but several remain on the other side of the Storm Wall in their shrines or domains from a fuck-long time ago. However, they can't leave those places without making a pact with a human (or they risk Terra Arcanum pulling them through the Storm Wall), and even then they need to regularly return to their earthly homes to "recharge."

>Demons
Second only to dragons in how rarely they ride Aether Storms into the human world and second only to spirits in how often humans attempt to summon them. Specifically, they don't live in Terra Arcanum, but in a different segment of the Worldstream that's sectioned off by a great wall underground.

>Gods
May exist, but if they do, they're somewhere outside of the Firmament that surrounds the Worldstream.

Dragonborn: Alien Invaders, little is known of them or their overlords. More Humanlike in appearance than draconic.

Dwarf: Altered class of humans used as slaves who revolted and nearly wiped out their makers.

Elf: Altered class of humans created in a last desperate effort by humans to save themselves from the Dwarves.

Gnomes/Halflings: "Smallfolk." Not much is known of them, but they are assumed to be another altered class of humans created for unknown purposes.

Half-breeds: Not a thing.

Human: Fallen masters of the world who created the other races for one reason or another. Creating Dwarves and Elves ultimately led to humanity's fallen state.

Orcs: "Greenskins" who have managed to break off from the greenskin Hive-mind and seek their own way in the world. Greenskins were also a creation of ancient humans.

Other races exist, most of which are offshoots of ancient humanity created for some purpose or another.

Elves are a relatively recent development, and are more likely to be born to human parents than to the new separatist settlements at this point.

bump

>Humans
A lot of things. Many animists and blood mages, which led to a bunch of branching subraces like tieflings, orcs, etc.
>Dwarves
Arcanists focused on crafting. Pioneered wizardry, accidentally fucked up a continent
>Halflings
Widespread nomads. Voodoo-esque ancestor worshippers in the old times when they still had a homeland. Now just not!gypsies with a fetish for bone trinkets
>Goliath
Also nomads, but focused on herding megafauna. Have castes based on skin markings which they say is a gift from the gods and tells their future. Becoming increasingly sedentary as empires leave less open space for their old lifestyle.
>Elves
Refugees from another world which is locked in perpetual war between various castes of elves. Came in two waves: first actual refugees looking to escape war, second a more organized effort that seems more like a vanguard to an invasion
>Tieflings
First attempt by humans at world conquest. Made blood pacts for more power and made themselves look vaguely like dragons to one up the dragonborn empire of the time. Didn't work out, now just redskinned assholes nobody likes
>Dragonborn
Believe themselves reincarnated dragons living in penance for letting their god die. First real empire builders, fell partially due to war with tiefling posers, partially due to dragons being incapable of getting along
>Orcs
Ancient human offshoot from across the sea. Made blood pacts to survive a small apocalypse caused by dwarves doing magic halfway across the world. Recently displaced by the elven vanguard who magick way better than them, now sail around raiding and looking for new places to settle
>Goblinoids
Created race from before remembered history. Hobgoblins dominate the east, lesser goblins spread out everywhere at various levels of civility

Menfolk (Humans/offshoots, dwarves, halflings, goliath) all mix more or less without issue, everyone else does their own thing. Elves made half-elves as byproducts of efforts to adapt to new environment

>What are the standard fantasy races like in your setting?
They aren't. I avoid the use of standard races, so as to avoid the issue of autists whining about "making elves wrong" and other shit like that.

Currently got 2 settings planned, one is Human Only and takes place in a Tower of Babel/FFV type settings, and the other has all homebrewed races, with each race being divided into several ethnicities and subcultures. Races tend to be found focused in different continents and rarely interact if at all.

Sadly, neither setting is close to being done yet, and I'm still tooling around with stuff

>Dragonborn
Don't exist, closest would be crazy people giving themselves scales
>Dwarf
Heavily industrious, no use of magic at all, instead uses flasks of chemical catalysts to produce similar effects. Lots of surface factories and ranches to pump out resources, both mundane and for their Bottled-Magic
>Elves
Creations of a dead god. Opposite of the dwarves, lots of magic but no industry. Very few pockets of independent Elves due to their refusal to progress technologically (Out of fear their god could come back, not out of haughtiness). Some work as freelance magicians, some as alchemists, some as exotic eye-candy for hire. Many unemployed or working hard labor
>Gnome
Subsection of dwarves. More into contraptions, as typical
>Halfling
Similar to Gnomes, more focus on expansion and quick talking.
>Half-Elf
Fairly common hybrid of humans and elves. Due to the nature of magic in the world, they're basically just aesthetically different humans with slightly longer lifespans
>Humans
Free spirited entrepreneurs and expansionists. Effectively own most of the Elves for labor, not quite as industrious as the Dwarven Corporations, but getting there.
>Demons
Bunch of apparent assholes who want to obliterate the world and terraform it into their personal playground. May actually be aliens

That Half Elf has a package

Eh, depends on which of my settings, my main one goes:
>Dragonborn: don't exist

>Dwarves, gnome, and halfling: part of a singular race with multiple cultures. the 'dwarven' races tend to be fairly good at transmutation magic and alchemy allowing them to make fertile fields in deserts or create beautiful underground cities. Tend towards conservationism and traditional values as a religious matter. (dwarven and elven gods left to fight a battle and haven't returned, they hope to have things mostly how their gods remember it should they come back) Used to be lava/rock/gem crustaceans, posses a second thumb on the opposite side of their hand and bony, horned, klingon-like forehead plates they headbutt with.

>Elves: Prone to emotional extremity which can vary from their background, about one in five are incredibly depressing due to the loss of their gods and live in eternal mourning in monastery villages. They have antlers, their ears are fuzzy around the tips, and they lack pinkies. They used to be humanoid, elk people made of vegetation with wings

>Orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, trolls, and ogres: newer race, still plenty of different people. often dubbed 'orcs' overall which they don't like (imagine if all humanity got dubbed as 'Chinese' by aliens). Tend to live lives further from civilization than most and do not believe in large cities. Goblins hate hobgoblins for giving them a shitty reputation with their nomadic, gypsy habits, none of the others like ogres who tend to live alone in lodges but always pick fights wit huge monsters which end up spilling out into other 'orcish' settlements.

Humans: basically just white europeans
Elves: like 3.5 high elves, mostly
Dwarves: like 3.5 dwarves
Gnomes: mostly like 2e gnomes, with some cultural differences
Hobbits: like tolkiens hobbits
Orcs: strong, green, CN, barbaric
Goblins: like tolkien orcs/goblins
Kobolds: like 3.5 kobolds, except physically stronger and with more racial traits
Saurians: basically lighter lizardfolk, kinda like argonians from TES

One for each alignment, four are small, five are medium

Still working on the world so it's not complete but so far

Dwarves: Control 3 separate kingdoms across 2 continents. Their cultures are separate and developed relatively differently but they all value hard work and clan bonds even if the latter is thought of from different perspectives.

Elves: Descendants of fey that travelled to the material realm and tried to claim it for themselves, they've become drained away from the magic that permeates the fae and so appear smaller than their people once were, their cultures and appearances developed separately but relate to the jobs their groups did when they first came to the material plane and where they settled.

Gnome: Escapee's of the fae, related to Elves but have only been around for a few hundred years, scattered in pockets across the world.

Halfling: Only one nation of halflings so far, on a group of three islands right in the middle of major shipping lanes, a popular stop over for their food and hospitality, mostly survive as bureaucrats and small business owners.

Half-Elf: Most live about 150 years at most and a lot of noble and merchants families now have a little elf blood mixed in but no really specific culture

Humans: Elves are on the decline and dwarves have their niches, humans spread through the gaps like wildfire and are now they most common.

Tieflings: Relatively common in comparison to other settings. Seperated into stable and unstable bloodlines, there's two areas stable bloodlines on almost opposite ends of the earth.

Half-Orc: Most Orcs are actually half orcs, the original orcs were/are almost forces of nature and rage, created by a "god" pissed off at other gods. (idea I'm playing around with because I'm not sure how to have half-orcs or what orcs are in the setting).

Humans. Buncha cultures and skin colors, including a blue skinned peoples from the western desert. Most advanced race, have guns and trains and clockwork golems. Strong cowboy & indian theme. Also a strong hindu influenced mythology.

No elves. No gnomes. No tiefling. No half races. No halflings.

Orcs - Traditionalist culture with strong shaman religion. Have some of the greatest medicine men in the land, as well as the best poison makers. They have tamed the Ponwo (goofy flying fluffy ball creatures that breed thru spores) and breed them in huge numbers, which form huge ponwo clouds around orc towns.

Urd (winged kobolds) in place of dragonborn. The build caves in mountain, or take abandoned dwarf mines. They more study than worship dragons, and generally have a strong intellectual & artistic culture. Their wizards and sorcerers are known to be the best, as well as their bards. They are quite friendly with dwarves, and often connect their cave cities to dwarve tunnels, and kobold+dwarf research into magical artifacts led to the creation of the great library of Ilfir.

Dwarves. Birthed of stone, each subspecies is associated with a color of gem. An Emerald Dwarf, for example, grows emeralds on its rocky skin. A 'seeded' emerald can be planted deep within the earth where it will become a dwarf. This is the reason for dwarven tunnels. Dwarves can grow to be up to 12 feet tall over their 500 year lifespan. Their once great kingdoms have shrunk as the humans began to take over their deepest tunnels in search of rare metals and octarine.

Treants - The great defenders of history and druidic magic. Their life cycle is rather complicated, involving sprite-ish faerie haploid forms to crosspollinate, and dryad eusocialites that guarantee species diversity and protect hibernating ents. They are constantly at war with humans over ecological damage.

What the fuck does "Ur" mean? I see it all the time here but I've never seen an explanation.

>i'm too retarded to use a dictionary

Ur
>a combining form meaning “earliest, original,” used in words denoting the primal stage of a historical or cultural entity or phenomenon:
ur-civilization; urtext.

>I never think words used here might have a special Veeky Forums meaning

Get fucked.

>Humans
The dominant race. Recently underwent a societal revolution after a good portion of the continent was reduced to ash and sand. Now the greatest power bans the former enslavement and practices of the former empires, though with resistance.

>Dwarves
Mercantile race of traders and mercenaries from a northern archipelago, which used to be a mountainous region with low valleys, until the natural seawalls broke and the region became flooded. They are stubborn, honorable, and their main goal is to make as much wealth as possible, so they make excellent businessmen and lawyers.

>Elves
An artificial race created by humans before the fall of their old empire. During the chaos, they took over the eastern cities and now rule over the enslaved goblin tribes of the area. Practically immortal, extremely skilled and intelligent, and sterile, their mostly tightly guarded secret is the need for the goblin slaves and the old human alchemy labs to create new elves.

>Orcs
Peaceful, primitive, and delicious. A porcine race that many are raised on farms by the other races for their meat, known as p'orc, though free tribes do exist.

>Goblins
The goblin tribes have been enslaved by humans for hundreds of years, and are now under the yolk of the Elves. Stable subspecies were created by alchemy experimentation, such as the Bugbears and the Hobgoblins. A small group has turned to the use of "necromancy" in order to start a resistance movement against their masters.

>Ogres and Giants
Ogre tribes and their Giant allies used to rule the continent and the primitive humans long before the humans became the dominant species. The humans eventually united and overthrew and enslaved the Ogre and Giants when they formed the first human kingdoms. They spent generations as slaves until recently, when slavery was abolished in the human lands, though there is still resentment and prejudices on both sides, despite being free and "equal".