What does your character eat while they're on the go?

What does your character eat while they're on the go?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Flatbread. Lots and lots of flatbread.
Also smoked Njerpezit meat.

Also,
>drow
>seafood
>underground
really fires up your neurons

Those are snails, user.

>caviar

God damn those sausages look nice.

I've been trying to make my players aware of their rations more. The campaign features a lot of wilderness travel so they RP a lot around the campfire. Thank you for this thread OP, really helpful for me.

>tfw wood elf ranger
Anything he can find that's edible. He has horrified multiple party members on numerous accounts.

>a fucking knife
>a fucking rock
somehow this seems entirely sensible for a drow to try to eat

I am unreasonably excited by this. I demand more lizardmanfood.

>When the elf sees you've remembered her Kale.

The dead.

Alternatively; The living.

I dunno, I think elves, and Drows specially, would be fucking bizantine with eating ethiquete, using bizarre tools for anything if only to look down on other races or feel superior to poorer/lower caste drows.

Whatever can be found, scavenged, or whatever was bought from the last town. Usually the wizard handles food since he can just drop any spare fire spells in an area and manage to get some sort of roasted animals or plants.
Except the alchemist, he makes his own rations which is basically a nutrient paste because he thinks regular food is poison.

Don't snail eggs look caviar-like?

Judging by those pictures, apparently most people eat dog turds while traveling.

There's actually an underground sea in the underdark.

I have no idea how it works.

Keep in mind, a lot of those images are pretty deceptive.
>Fresh meat or fish
Would not keep.
>Fresh fruit and vegetables
Would not keep.
>Soft cheese or cheese with its casing compromised
Would not keep.

Any meat or fish needs to smoked, salted or preserved in some fashion.
Any fruit or vegetables need to be pickled, dried or preserved in some fashion.
Any cheese needs to hard and needs to be consumed within a day or two as soon as the rind is broken.

What do the sausages you eat look like?

I know, I've done plenty of camping. Pretty sure those images are from a blgo where a girl' talking about fantasy versions of what's in her kitchen, rather than rations.

>smoked salmon as a ration
Have fun getting that smell out of your rucksack.

Nutrient paste.

That's either herring or mackerel, not salmon.

On a closer inspection I can see that you're entirely right. But my argument still stands. Smoked fish (or really, smoked anything) stains everything it touches with it's smell.

Bruh, that's only when we're on the field and even then when a good battle has come and gone you should break out the raptor legs and grox ribs! If there is still anything on the planet worth hunting it should be the center piece of a fine feast! And wine, don't forget plenty of it and ale as well.

It's probably being kept in a food-bag. It's okay if your food-bag smells like food.

Or anything fish.

Try grilling sardines sometime.

They're probably microwaved and in a plastic casing. American sausages are terrifying.

Sorry, have sausages you're more used to then.

>Gnome
>Eats almost twice as much as the rest
What setting are these gnomes from or is it "Muh brain is a very hungry muscle" meme again?

All the other pics had some cash included. I think the crystal is supposed to be currency.

What's with the coins tho? Keeping money next to food seems rather unsanitary.

So when the brigands rob you and you plead to their humanity to at least let you keep your food on the road, you have a few coins over.

To hire mercenaries to go kill the brigands.

It's probably emergency cash, in case your gold-bag gets stolen.

A few germs are worth having the insurance that you can pay for an inn while you track down the ruffians that stole your coinpurse.

To be fair, the rolled oats are mostly for keeping the eggs safe.

Also, gnomes are generally predicted as a little pudgy.

They are usually shorter than a halfling and they are the size of an 6 year old.

But hey, maybe its all part of their inherent magical nature, got a bag of holding for a stomach.

Taking into account I made him based on Nappa, anything he kills that isn't of his own race

Oh, ok, that makes sense, thanks!

A little of both.
When it comes to cheese, you can take a wedge and coat it in wax to sell per piece.
A number of the items are fairly fresh, considered a day's pickings, but the majority of it is preserved in some fashion.

Probably the same way inland seas work.

Some snail species get fucking huge, google giant african land snail. So yeah, I believe it's possible for some species of snails to lay a shit ton of eggs like that. And if nothing else, it's fantasy. Pic related.

Also, there are Underdark lakes. So even if those are fish eggs, they don't have to be saltwater fish eggs. Menzoberanzan (fuck me, I can never remember how to spell that shit) has a freshwater lake. The center of it has an island where they raise all of their Roth.

Sounds like someone's magical real desu senpai

Damnit, I forgot my pic.

There is a fetish for eating yes.
Forums where they go into detail what they cooked while jerking off. Popular jokes include mentioning not getting spicy food on your dick.

Do oranges and chocolate even exist in Forgotten Realms? What about tomatoes and potatoes?

Fun fact, if you take a freshly laid egg and wash it thoroughly with plain luke warm water, then coat the entire shell in something like grease, oil, or wax, then that egg can stay fresh for an entire month without refrigeration.

Does that work with older eggs too?

>oranges
Yes, but only the bitter kind, iirc.
>tomatoes
Green ones.
>Potatoes
I believe sweet potatoes are more common, but white potatoes in the few northern lands.
Not especially. Shells are permeable, you have to preserve them damn quick before oxygen leaks in and starts the decomp process.

Thanks for answering my questions.

What about vegetables like cucumbers, zuchini, pumpkins, squash, broccoli, cauliflower?

Not that I know of, but a cool trick I do know is if you buy quail eggs and then get them home and put them in an incubator quick enough then they can hatch if the egg itself is still fresh enough.

This is because unlike chickens, all quail eggs are fertilized. They simply don't develop because they are refrigerated as soon as they are laid. BUT, quail embryos can survive being refrigerated for a certain amount of days before they die.

>plastic casings
the fuck you buying your food at, user?

Not that guy, but I'll answer.

All of the squashes you've listed are freshest when kept as they are. You can carry them about for a few days and provided the gourd isn't damaged, all of them will probably be safe for consumption.

If you're looking to preserve them for months at a time, then my answer is that all of those can be pickled.

Being mountain paople, i always figured that dwarves use to eat a lot of cheese and other dairy products

They probably eat a lot of meat too, like rabbit, deer, elk, moose, wild birds such as geese and ducks, squirrels, possums, fish. All of that stuff can be smoked up or salted to preserve it.

They probably eat a lot of wild greens too. Like wild onions, wild carrots, sage, lilac, lavender, cat tail roots, acorns, maple seeds, mushrooms, etc.

Oh, I wasn't asking if they can be preserved, I was asking if they exist in canon in Forgotten Realms. Because I'm pretty certain most of those are indigenous to the Americas. So probably wouldn't fit in well with the old European theme.

But thanks for that cool info, I'll definitely remember it.

>dat feel when you are a dwarf
>dat feel when every meal has some form of milk or cheese in it
>dat feel when you are lactose intolerant

Hey don't disrespect the mighty cheese

Apart from that we all know that seasoned and fresh ricotta is best cheese

Does Ricotta come with lactase, to help you digest it?

>Being mountain paople [sic]
Call me crazy, but I think there might be a pretty significant difference between living on top of a mountain, and living under a mountain.

You can do both, user. It's cold on top of a mountain, but your goats need to eat somewhere

you're actually a 12 year old, huh

In general, if it exists in the real world, it exists in the Forgotten Realms too.

Also, people have crossed the sea to Maztica, the equivalent of the New World/Americas. So even if it isn't native, it could have been brought back over.

Basically, the Realms doesn't have a European theme. It has stuff from all over the world.

Hell, the iconic image of Elminster (or anyone else) smoking a pipe would not be possible if the setting was strictly European, as tobacco is a New World plant.

Did... Did that Orc take time to stuff peppers? Thats fucking impressive. Suddenly I feel insecure with my own cooking.

Everyone talks about the fish eggs or whatever, but nobody points out the rotten chinese egg that got a chance to kill you?

Century eggs are perfectly edible when eaten appropriately (ie, not with anything listed there).

It's about as dangerous and as edible as extremely strong blue vein cheese.

Whatever the rest of the party ends up forking over.

It's a recurring thing that all of my characters try to catch their own food in the wild, and always fail miserably. The dice do not want me to /out/.

I'd assumed it was a testicle cooked in some sort of blood or wine sauce; but you are correct preserved egg.

Whatever unfortunate bastards attack his spaceship. So essentially , only add "occasionally weaker members of his own race, if they're on the wrong end of his shotcannon cybernetic arm"

Homicidal lunatics are excellent seconds-in-command.

What, do they put sausages in mason jars in your country?

Sausages in Murrica come wrapped in plastic. I mean, I guess you could go to the deli counter and get fresh ones in paper, but typical hotdog sausages are stored in plastic like most meat.

Silver has antibiotic properties, doesn't it?

Needs some edible flowers like a nasturtium or something. Many lizards love nomming on flower petals.

Yes. Chocolate is actually from Maztica, but Amnian privateers have brought it back from that far-off land to Faerun proper and it is spreading in popularity.

I'll bite. Pic from a few days ago, cooking 18thC military rations. Pea and rice pottage with salt pork and hard biscuit.

*Dried beef stock bone
*Salted pork
*Brown Rice
*Dried split peas
*Yellow onion
*Vinegar
*Dried Garlic
*Dry Biscuit (hardtack)

howtogetchasedbywolves.jpg

This guy has a shitload of videos about food from the 1700s, no doubt they would fit even older settings.

This one's about egg preservation specifically, but I'd definitely watch some of his other videos

youtube.com/watch?v=yUYgguMz1qI

Pussy

A mixture of sweets, fast food and actual food scrounged from other part members.

Also, don't unwashed eggs stay fresh longer than washed ones, too? The... grime also works as a coating, as far as I know.

I didn't know I needed this in my life until now. Thank you kind anons.

Small game that can be quickly procured on the roadsides and wild plants for fresh options.

In the wagon is preserved processed meats, jarred jams, potatoes, herbs, and hard breads.

>got a chance to kill you
Only because modern factories used to use shit like lead and arsenic to speed up the process.

Salted meats, dried fruits, nuts, dried peas/beans, and pickled eggs. Pickled eggs until the cows come home. And the cows aint coming home any time soon, cause we killed them all and turned them into salted meats.

>you can keep eggs fresh for up to two years
>TWO
>FUCKING
>YEARS

Why did we ever stop using this method?

My guess is that there's no reason to not use vastly less energy efficient methods that involve slightly less effort on the consumer's part. Nobody wants to store eggs for two years.

>nobody wants to store eggs for two years

Motherfucker, I DO.

If you do, you do as a hobby. Nobody wants to buy their eggs two years in advance and then dig an egg dungeon to hold their eggs and wait two years to eat them as their primary method of storing eggs given the option to buy them at the store and eat them immediately. Egg storage enthusiasts, though intense, lack the purchasing power to support a natural wax based egg preservation industry.

What reenactment?

All of them.
Gropy gets around.
>I'd love to see a 40k based larp, but I know it would be shit

I agree with the soft cheeses and vegetables, but I'll give fresh meat the benefit of the doubt for potentially being freshly caught/hunted.

>And wine, don't forget plenty of it and ale as well

What's up with all those shitty 40k posts, you guys should stop inserting that in every thread. It's a behavior proper from bronys and furrys.