Do you prefer ridiculous stereotypical barbarians or accurate barbarians in your settings?

Do you prefer ridiculous stereotypical barbarians or accurate barbarians in your settings?

Ridiculous and stereotypical all the way.

Can always go with both. It's a big world.

Yes.

I WANNA RIP OFF YOUR NAILS AND GOUGE YOUR EYES WITH THEM. I'M GOING TO USE YOUR TEETH TO SCRAPE YOUR URETHRA OF ALL IT'S DICK MEAT.
I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL MYSELF TO KICK YOUR ASS IN HELL

>Implying there is a consistent trend for realistic barbarians, when it literally is a term for outsiders

Both.

I'm running a Rome inspired setting, so they call literally everything in the provinces and beyond the borders "barbarians", from the civilized and highly accomplished Eastern lands to the slavering Orc hordes.

I like them like:

>The Brittle-lands, where mirror trees grow from the crushed-shell soil and humans are the most durable substance around. Barbarians from the Brittle-lands have trouble with the idea of "a" weapon because everything they grew up with broke after one use. They are startlingly innovative fighters and never stop looking over their shoulder. Anyone born in the Brittle-lands will be sworn to one of the two kings there, Ordswye or Aserlye each of whom is possessed by a rogue dwarven machine god

>Angelurra, an island known for fishing, giants, knights and stone magic. The barbarians of Angelurra come from the clannish and primitive north, they are giant-blooded and stand about 8 feet tall, and they will never forget how to build a boat. The youngest daughter inherits on the coasts and in the mountains of Angelurra and it's common for unneeded sons to turn barbarian and sell their axe. The best of these are members of the Red-and-Black Lodge and are capable of terrible, rageful battle transformations.

>The Blue People know their place is the summit of the world and the only important thing in it: all the rest of creation is being slowly eaten by her, by their mountain. They call her The Mother Who Feeds. They raid outwards, and bring back great treasures to throw worthlessly into her valleys and ravines. Each year they all join together to scale her bare-handed, and an awful potion of madness can be made from the blood of the ones who fall. When they're wounded they harden their scars and flesh with gemstones, which is what they're named for.

But I agree with

I liked ridiculous stereotypical fantasy when I was younger but now I prefer realistic, historical and real life-like.

I also love how real life armors and weapons look, while stylized and fantastic armors make me cringe, especially if they're worn in a historical or low fantasy context.

The best in that slight in-between that Dark Souls-type stuff hits IMO. More luxurious and stylish than real life (for ordinary soldiers in real life, anyway) but still plausible as armor. With some outliers for truly ridiculous stuff as well.

Historically accurate. Even Conan wore clothes and proper armor.

Unironically my favorite fantasy armor

Ridiculous for fantasy, accurate for historical or "realistic" settings. Basically it depends on how likely it is that the guy is an orc.

Is this what you mean?

Isn't the historical depiction of Celts in that picture from a period after they got romanised?

I mean, I like Kekai Kotaki's knights a whole a bunch so I'm quite happy to say I like that.

Accurate.

Despite how paradoxical it may sound I want to say the accurate barbarians can hardly be called barbarians at all. They were barbarians in a relative sense, in a particular cultural and historical context. It's just a label. But the stereotypical or archetypical barbarians, those are barbaric as it gets.

Neato. His knights are top tier in my opinion.

>okay the scroll says there are barbarians in the cave next to us
Go in
>they're a tonne of samurai engaging in an orgy slaanesh would be proud of
But barbarian means non Greek or non Latin speaking

Is that dagger accurate? Im curious because it looks like ceremonial skewopmorphism, that is to say that it has embellishments from a ton of other swords taken to the extreme.

Just greek, the Romans called uncultured foreigners pagans.

The Romans were pagans.

No, Rome was a Christian state.

They used barbarian quite a lot.

Not for a long time.

Desire to school shoot intensifies
Pagan would become a perjorative once the majority of the empire was Christian

For a literal fraction of it's history.

>For a literal fraction of it's history.
Get a load of this G*rman

Both. Accurate barbarians make good material for "normal" people, while ridiculously stereotypical barbarians are better for weird stuff; cults that worship chaotic gods of war and blood, marauding hordes of orcs, etc.

Also, .

Ridiculous all the way.

Accurate barbarians are too depressing.

Definitely ridiculous and stereotypical.

Barbarians are best portrayed as simple, violent problem-solvers with a great bod.

While since I'm not a boy-fucking Greek, I recognize that Rome fell 476 years after the birth of Christ when Odoacer deposed the Emperor and formed the Kingdom of Italy.

Pagan was the Latin equivalent of Redneck.

But also the Christian equivalent of, well, pagan.

I VILL DRINK FROM YOUR SKAALL

Only because Christianity spread in the cities.

Still 100% correct to say the Romans were all pagan at some point.

Accurate. Got too old to appreciate silly point daedric shit style armor stuff

This. Some accurate barbarians could look quite ridiculous.

>Quisque Barbarus ab alio appellatur