Hello there, I am after some advice,my 15 year old Autistic son would you like get into Warhammer...

Hello there, I am after some advice,my 15 year old Autistic son would you like get into Warhammer. Where would be a old place for him to start, I hope it will be something that he can make some friends though and help him with his social skills as well as give him something to focus his attention on. Can I ask, do you always need to make and paint them, or are some available ready made? Many thanks in advance for your help. Unfortunately money is very limited , so please bare this in mind when making suggestions. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules/
warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-pre-order-and-downloadsgw-homepage-post-4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You have made a terrible mistake.

buy ultramarines or stormcast eternals

> Can I ask, do you always need to make and paint them, or are some available ready made?

You'll have to buy them on E-bay then, all the boxes come in part and as grey plastic.

> Unfortunately money is very limited , so please bare this in mind when making suggestions

It's ludicrously expensive sadly...

apparently there are going to be sets that are snap fit which should be easier to put together ( not that most 40k stuff is hard to put together). They do however need to be painted but armies like space marines, necrons and tau are fairly easy to paint.Check on the games workshop website for armies that interest him but be aware that price is another story entirely especially when you have to get painting supplies.

This seems like subtle bait from a dirty phone poster.

I can't imagine how focused he can be if not actually putting models together and painting them himself.

Thank You all for your help. I new to this Veeky Forums thing so I hope it's ok to ask questions?

Yeah it's cool.
By the way you can click the numbers next to a post to reply to it.

>subtle

My son says he likes the red of the Blood Angels because his favorite color is red. How good are they for a new beginner?

They're a more specialized army that are more focused on close quarters fighting and melee. They can be a little rules intensive as well as they have several unique traits. The game will take a fair amount of time to really get into playing and understanding. Fortunately with 8th Edition a lot of things have become more simplified and are easier to pick up.

Don't you mean your wife's son, op?

Im his mom? Im not sure what this means?
Thank you. Thats very helpful!

To be entirely honest, it's usually a mistake to go onto Veeky Forums. Don't worry about analyzing remarks that aren't helpful and try to escape at your earliest convenience.

Can I ask you, ma'am, what brought you to Veeky Forums for advice? If you get helpful information then that's wonderful but surely there's better resources out there for a parent.

Thank you for the concern?
Some people on Reddit told me to come here. They said that this place called Traditional Games would be a good place to find Warhammer 40,000 players and help me better understand the game for my son.

I really hope this is bait.

How could this not be? No one is like this outside of movies.

The fact that so many people are responding to this sincerely is.... scary

>autist
>getting him into 40k
>no friends
>inability to focus

wow did you ever come to the right place.

Going to assume it's not fake and give you what information I can as someone with Asperger's who plays.

This game is not cheap, the start collecting boxes are the best purchase new, but you can trawl ebay and pick stuff up second hand and sometimes built for less. You do not have to paint the models and the cost of paints does add up.

More importantly though, the average player is in their 20s and not looking to babysit some kid. Since autism is a spectrum, I cannot say how terribly putting that child in a game store will go, probably not well though. Actually, if this kid has 0 actual friends, he's too far in the spectrum to manage the environment, randomness of rolling dice, and social aspects/ If the kid can't focus, no one is going to play with him because it's simply not worth the effort. I've seen parents leave kids at game stores to "socialize" but the truth is that the average crowd is too old and busy with their own lives to be a big brother/sister for your child and help guide them and teach them. Not to mention if your finances are tight, there are too many costs with any hobby at a game store. Actually if your town has a big brother/sister program, sign your kid up for that. It's free and you will get someone who is actively trying to help others rather than leaving your kid to ultimately do nothing and feel depressed.

Inclusive hobbies have been fantastic for helping me meet people, but I've only started doing them once I went off to college at 18 and had some semblance of maturity to not be a nuisance. The hobbies have provided a wonderful neutral ground with a pre-established subject that it's not so awkward to socially engage others, but I'm 24 now and still am at about the same age as the other people participating in the hobby. At 15, your kid is just not going to be able to handle a majority of the social situations and will be too young to engage with others there in any meaningful fashion. 40k is not a good fit.

>Some people on Reddit told me to come here.

I'd say find a nearby GW and take him there. The staff are usually very good with helping people with the game. Might even give you a free model or two and give your son some painting lessons.

We can be oddly helpful sometimes. Others we just screech at people until the thread is dead. Though I too am curious as to how OP ended up here of all places. Least she made it to Veeky Forums.

Holy shit I'm dying
You've revealed yourself too soon, b8 poster

This is getting excessive now.

Well ma'am, if your son has the mind for it, a game called Shadow War: Armageddon is the place to go.

It's a "mini" downscale version of 40k meant to represent skirmishes, and only requires like 10 models max. Really easy and cheap to get into, the rules are simple, and TONS of people play.

There's another thread about it here you could ask about, though some google searches would do great as all the rules are online.

Here's a link to rules for it:
>warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-the-rules/
(The core rules)
>warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-pre-order-and-downloadsgw-homepage-post-4/
(The army specific rules)

You can buy hardback books as well, it's nice if you need to help the kid out. I volunteer with lots of autistic kids, as you probably know physical things do a lot to help focus attention

>the rules are needlessly complex
>the models are needlessly expensive
>the models are highly detailed and take a lot of time, effort and practise to get right
>players range from nice social guys to probable rapists, but nobody wants to babysit
>and even the nicest people will get annoyed by bad luck streaks, with many lashing out
>but we're all autistic anyway

It really does depend on the severity and specifics of your son's condition. If he likes focussing and getting absorbed into something, and if he's a creative, he'll love the hobby aspect. If he's social and easy to get along with the game side sounds good. But it's very much not a hobby for most, let alone everyone, and it is very expensive.
Also, who in their right mind directed you to Veeky Forums? Veeky Forums is probably the nicest board, but we're still hostile to anyone who isn't a 30 year old overweight antisocial NEET with at least 4 years understanding of memes. Please ignore most of this thread. Unless you really are bait (although lack of "my wife's son" casts doubt on that), in which case kys.

>Reddit told me to come here